All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:15 am 
US Army

Nodding her head to acknowledge their ‘gopher’, Mere took in Claire’s response and started to mentally prepare herself for the task ahead. It wasn’t the hardest thing, field triage; in fact it was as simple as green, amber, red and black.

Looking around as she dropped her ruck sack to the floor, and swung her gun round so that it clipped up behind her and out of the way, Mere let her eyes follow the others as they moved off to secure the perimeter, noting where they had left her eye line so that in case they shouted for help, she’d had the faintest of clues as to where they may be.

Her head in the game, Mere grabbed her field kit and pulled a second smaller kit from the rucksack. Following Claire’s direction, she walked down the first aisle of wounded and focussed on seeing them as their injuries and not the tiny, broke, helpless victims that they were.

Dropping down to the first bunk, Mere glanced over the occupant. He lay still, but breathing, sweat forming across their dirty brow. “Hi, I’m Blake … can you tell me what hurts?” The boys eyes fluttered as he spoke, “ar …” his voice was a dry croak, and she offered a comforting smile as he licked his lips and tried again “arm … Something hit me when I was running to get my sister” As gently as she could, Mere reached out to examine him, taking care not to jostle what was evidently a broken humerus, which was at least closed, which was a small mercy given the conditions. Pulling out a set of coloured bands from her kit, Mere wrapped a green tag round the boy’s good wrist, before manipulating his arm into a position where it could be placed in a sling. Wiping a tear that had started to carve a trail across his cheek, Mere moved from her crouch, and pulled her bags with her to the next cot.

And so she continued along the row of beds, stepping over the small bits and pieces that their patients had bought with him, tagging people as she went, doing what she could to offer comfort, or ease discomfort.

By the end of her row, she’d tagged 4 green, 2 amber, a red, and worst of all, 4 black tags.

“Doc, when you have a second, there’s an immediate I’d appreciate your assessment off”

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:59 pm 
Thor

All was quiet. The only sounds were the quiet moans of the children, and scattered conversation from the few adults within the compound, although calling it a "compound" was stretching it a bit.

The main quadrangle of the Tollan government was all but in ruins, smoke plumes lightly drifting on the breeze. Yet, somehow, there was the sense of frenetic activity, even though there was no life to be seen. It was something instinctive that would tell the observant that, although they were alone in the compound, they were most definitely not alone in the vicinity.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Jarris blinked at Tahirah for a moment, before shaking his head. He wasn't any more than around twelve years old, and had that gawky, gangly appearance that spoke of straddling the uncomfortable border between boyhood and manhood.

"We did not see them," he said, his voice a little shaky, clearly relieved that the grown-ups had arrived to assist. "Explosions started in the school, and the hospital complex, and we were sent here." His explanation was scant, and smacked of someone who had simply been swallowed up by the panic. "We were told that help would come, and to wait here." He knew little more than they did, it would seem. Jarris frowned for a moment, pointing at one of the guards on the gate. "He said he was in the meeting room when it all started, though. He might be able to tell you what happened."

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:09 pm 
US Marines

Taft followed his guide to a woman, gods he hoped she was military, who looked like she was doing her best to keep a glass top hat on a cat's head. "Ma'am. Sgt Major Taft, United States Marine Corp, of the Tau'ri Stargate blah blah blah. I've been sent to help you, I brought medical staff and they are already to work on the children. I have soldiers, working on sharpening up your perimeter. I need to know the situation, both here and across the city, and I need to know what your current command structure looks like. Do you have communications either up or down the chain?"

The look of relief that ran across the woman's face before being replaced by a somewhat helpless expression told him way too much about the sit rep that was going to follow. She was the ranking individual on the scene, but not a commanding officer usually. "I haven't heard from the higher ranks since we were told to retreat here with the wounded. There was supposed to be a full emergency response team on its way from the East but they never arrived, so we ended up with a hospital with not enough materials crewed by whatever medical knowledge happened to be here. A couple of first responders, nothing more. Occasionally an able bodied person finds us and we put them on the perimeter or helping the responders if they have any training at all."

"Take me to the comms, then start circulating the word that the Tau'ri soldiers are in charge of the defenses here. Get a runner to my medics and tell them about what help they have available in there. I'm gonna see if anything can be done about your medical response team." He set forth with the woman as, given direction with confidence, she confidently passed that direction on. Taft was just installing a holding pattern until he could get more information or at least a clearer picture but it would calm nerves at the top which would have a trickle down effect on the whole situation. It was a start.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:09 am 
Free Jaffa

Tahirah glanced over at the Jarris had pointed out as possibly having more information. He was older than the child-soldiers she had been working with, and at least looked like he had held a weapon before. While she wanted to march right over and find out what they were up against, she had orders to fulfill. Thank you Jarris, I will do so as soon as we are done securing the perimeter. She smiled, her appreciation of his help softening her expression for the moment.

They continued around the exterior, Tahirah doing what she could to both bolster the soldiers defenses and their courage. More than one seemed more than a little relieved to see her and know the Tau'ri were here. She finally caught sight of Caleb coming from the other direction. Trusting he would close the circuit, Tahriah sent Jarris off to assist him and headed back to the gate.

She nodded to those watching the gate ash she joined them. From here she could the smoking buildings, the piles of rubble and debris. Though there was nothing visible, she felt as though it was only because she was not seeing it. The sounds reaching her ears could have been caused by a stray breeze, or they could have been foot falls. She didn't turn to look at the others, instead quietly said, Tell me what you have experienced of this enemy. Do not leave out a single detail.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:50 pm 
Royal Navy

Caleb had followed the child that had asked for help further along than he probably should have done, he was pretty much right at the back of the area now, there was less people around. Almost as though it was quieter at the back, there was still the odd murmering of voices he could hear as they drifted across the place, he could also see small bits of smoke rising from the distance.

He had a moment of being half tempted to go check them plumes of smoke out, but he knew, just knew that if he left the area he would be putting not only himself at risk, but also his team as well. Himself he could handled putting into dangerous situations, but not his team, although it was not exactly 'his' team, it was still coined that in his mind.

Caleb had not once let go of the childs hand that had tugged him away from the crowd at the front and round to the back. He had passed injured, unconcious and he was sure there was even someone dead on the ground as he followed the small child. He could feel his heart beat increase as adrenalin surged through his system, he wondered what he was going to find, who he would find, would he be any help at all or was he going to be completely useless?

What ever the situation though, he was determind that he was going to help, these were kids for god sake, he wasn't about to just let them wither and die with no help what so ever. Even if everything ended up going a bit pear shaped - a phrase he was never going to use outloud - he was going to do his damnedest to make sure as many people lived as possible. That was what he was brought on this mission for, to be an extra set of hands, not to work on an tech not to fix anything, but to just be an extra set of hands and he was okay with that. He understood that desicion.

The child whose hand he was holding suddenly stopped, causing him to take a step too far and found his arm being pulled backwards. For such a small kid, she had a good grip on her, he frowned at her for a moment, before he realised that she was looking scared once more. Crouching down, he took her hands in his, a comforting gesture that his own mother had done for him at times of stress, not that he was sure that it was actually comforting the poor thing.

"Hey, it's okay, look you don't have to go any further, I can go, all you have to do is tell me what is needed here," he said, his tone of voice soft, encouraging and comforting all in one go. He was pretty sure that Claire would have been proud of him in that moment, because he was sure that no one had ever seen him interact with kids before.

The little girl seemed to struggle with words for a moment, he had to be patient with her, he knew that kids couldn't get over their fear as quickly as adults did. They had to be coaxed into talking, that was what his mum had always said anyway, plus he rememebered being a child, he remembered getting scared of something and the words not working. He knew as well that he still had that fear at times as well, except now he was an adult and he could manage that better.

He gave her hands another small squeeze, the little girl in front of him might not be from Earth, might not even understand the comfort he was trying to give, but he was certain of one thing. He wasn't going to let her just carry on being afraid if he could help it.

"One of my friends got stuck, she hurt, just outside the fence," the little girl said, quietly, pointing to a small hole that had clearly been made from some comings or goings.

That was what Caleb was afraid of, that there would be something he wasn't going to be able to fix, he knew he shouldn't leave the area. Hell he couldn't leave the area, there was no way he was going to be able to convince Taft to let that happen or anyone else for that matter. Of course he could always go out the gap, retrive the injured the child, come back in and say he found said child hidden behind some rubble in the tiny compound.

That could work, of course he could also be court martialled if he was caught, he sighed, he was going to have to make sure he didn't get caught then. Nodding his head and smiling at the little girl, he let go of her hands and stood up, he was going to land himself in so much trouble, he was sure of it.

He shivered as something trickled down his spine, he realised they still didn't know what or who had attacked Tollana, or why. He knew that they could still be out there, waiting to attack again at a moments notice, he had a feeling that they weren't alone exactly but he couldn't place it to any specfic area or anything. No one just left a bunch of survives near enough in the middle of the planet, that much he knew for certain.

"Okay, you wait here, I'll go fetch your friend, but, you can't tell anyone that I've gone out there, okay?" he said, looking at her pointedly. He watched as her eyes widened and she nodded her head, he was sure she was going to run off as soon as his back was turned to the others to tell them.

He headed to the small opening, taking hold of the weapon he had attached to him once more, and peered out, there was no one around. It was all quiet, he looked left and right several times, hands tightly gripping the gun, before he spotted the other girl, laying not three feet away from his position.

He took a breath, he was so being court martialled for this he could feel it, he made a dash out, saw that at least one side of the child was covered in blood. He pushed back the feeling of sickness rising in his stomach at the prospect of a child being hurt, picked her up, happy to hear her groan as he did so, before quickly heading back into the small compound.

Caleb noticed that the little girl he had been talking to, had indeed run off - probably gone to tell the others on him - he placed the child in his arms down on the floor. He never looked back over his shoulder, as he pulled the top up, exposing a wound on the childs side, he really wished in that moment he had called for either of the medics with them. This needed more than he had on him.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:31 pm 
Beta Site CMO

Claire's focus had narrowed now to the children in her allocated row. Eight of them, enough to start with, and if she focused on those eight, she wouldn't let herself feel overwhelmed. After all, she could only treat one patient at a time, and, once she and Blake had triaged everyone, they would know where best to start, and whether they would be able to ask anyone else to provide field dressings and the like.

She was lucky, she supposed. All of the children in her row were suffering from little more than cuts and bruises, with the exception of a small boy on the end of the row - the last one she saw - who was suffering from a suspected broken wrist. Pulling a pad from her pocket, Claire designated the rows and columns of beds on a graph, and gave ticks to the other seven, while marking the boy with a horizontal line. Important, but not urgent.

"Just moving on," she called out to Blake, who didn't seem to be faring as well as Claire had herself. She paused at the end of the row, twitching her eyebrows upwards. "You need a hand there?" Shorthand for "someone who can't wait", at least in doctor-speak.

Out of the corner of her eye, she saw Caleb, and it looked as though he was stepping outside of the makeshift perimeter, with a small girl standing by. Frowning, she forced her attention back to the task at hand, waiting to see whether Blake had someone who just couldn't wait.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:27 pm 
Thor

((I think we need to move this on - Meredith, please jump in when you're back.))

"Wait! Who are you, and what are you doing here?"

A female voice - the sound of utmost authority - rang out across the area, and the sound of scurrying footsteps echoed through the devastation. High Chancellor Travell was not looking her usual groomed self, with dust covering her almost from head to toe, and a smear of blood marring a cheek. However, her icy coolness was undisturbed, and she approached the entrance to the compound, her steely gaze meeting Taft's. After a second, she recognised the uniform, and relaxed, almost imperceptibly.

"How many of you have the Tau'ri sent to assist us," she asked, her voice crisp and clipped. She had no time for procrastination, and her intention was to rally her own troops, along with whatever assistance had arrived from earth. "We asked for medics." She scanned the compound, seeing no sign of the white coats she knew were sported by human doctors. "Where are they?"

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:59 pm 
US Army

“If you can spare one” – Mere nodded her thanks as Claire acknowledged her request for assistance. Most of her cases were simple enough, broken bones, bruises, but she had concerns over the severity of internal bleeding on one of her patients.

Following the Dr’s line of sight as she caught a frown spread across her team mate’s face, Mere’s own brow furrowed in confusion as Williams moved off with one of the children. He was going to catch hell if the SgtMjr caught him, and she could only hope that whatever he was doing wasn’t going to land his ass in trouble before he could get back for his telling off.

She was 2nd in command, and she didn’t need anybody else getting hurt, especially considering that they didn’t know if the enemy was still out there, preparing to launch a 2nd wave, or pick off the stragglers. He was a good soldier though, aside from the bed hopping, there had been nothing untoward about him that she’d been made aware of.

Waving the Doc over, Mere moved back towards the cot where the patient in question lay, and as she did so she keyed her radio “Williams – It’s Blake – Everything ok?” Keeping the tone light, Mere scanned the area for the SgtMjr, and instead found herself zeroing in on a woman whose voice carried across the various sounds of their grisly tableau – Whoever it was, she meant business! She also seeemed to be making a bee line for Taft, which probably meant that the SgtMjrs diplomatic skills were about 15 seconds from debut

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:05 am 
US Marines

Taft had given his orders, he wasn't watching his people work while trying to complete his job. No, people didn't get into the SGC and stay for long if they weren't capable of making solid decisions for themselves. Doc had Blake to keep an eye on her, just in case, and he'd deployed Tahirah and and Williams in such a way that their missions would overlap near the end so he had no worries there. Instead, Taft focused on his own tasks and trusted them to handle theirs as well as anything unexpected that might crop up. Like the sudden appearance of an unconvinced authority figure who was behind the curve on information.

"Sgt. Major Taft, United States Marine Corp. I'm leading the first response team," he responded without looking up from the communications gear that he'd been led to before the woman had turned up. His tone was a calm self-assurance that had a tendency to be infectious, because if the Sgt Major wasn't panicking then nobody should be panicking because things were still under control. "This team counts five, the fire team that will be securing the gate any minute now will be closer to fifteen. At that point, now having assessed the situation, I can make recommendations for further resources. We brought two of our best and they are coordinating with your assets here to affect the care your injured require until those resources can be deployed."

Taft glanced back at her, his eyes going to the blood smear on her cheek for a split second before he returned to watching what the appointed communications tech was up to. "Get us in touch with somebody, anybody, we need information before we can do much of anything other than grope blindly at our next move." He was, of course, speaking to the tech.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:51 pm 
Thor

The guards on the gate looked on stoically for a moment, as though deciding whether or not to answer Tahirah. After a few seconds, one of them coughed, and shook his head. "We know little of them," he admitted, shuffling his feet through a few small chunks of rubble. "The Chancellor and her council were in talks with a race claiming to be the Furlings, aiming to form an alliance of sorts. However, we heard shouting and screaming coming from the chambers." He coughed again, finally meeting Tahirah's eyes, his gaze bleak.

"The doors were opened, but there was nobody there, aside from dead and injured members of our council. Then the screaming started outside, and..." He shrugged, helpless. "They killed as many as they could. Hospitals, centres of justice and government, schools... any place of importance. And we saw nothing. Nothing. Just our people bleeding and breaking before our eyes."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next