All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:33 pm 
Offline
US Marines
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:18 pm
Posts: 40
Robert tossed the bread and went for a cup of water. He wasn't a bodyguard, and he knew it was more counterproductive for him -someone who didn't understand a word McKay would say- to breath down the man's neck than it would help. Furthermore, he was doing exactly what he was asked to do. watch the man. The fact that he was not given opportunity to make this clear angered him, though.

As he was walking towards the cooler, he overheard Ruth say something about not knowing morse code. Finally something he knew. It hadn't been exactly standard training, but he found that it was good to know, should he ever be captured.

He turned his head towards the group. "I actually know morse?" he offered. He was a few metres away from them, so they shouldn't have a problem hearing him.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:14 am 
Offline
Atlantis Expedition CSO
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:49 am
Posts: 33
Rodney nodded as he was spoken to, his mind running a million miles an hour as he thought over the state of the controls and what little they knew about the situation. He'd been running simulations in the lab before everything went to hell. He's memory of the Reetou was fairly good, but he wasn't that familiar with the tactics. Only what he'd read so he decided to keep his two cents out of that particular discussion.

"Based on the general maintenance of the base, the current situation and the tools on hand... I'd say around three to four minutes to get the door open. No more than 10. Still not sure about the door automatically opening once it's been unlocked. The proximity sensors that normally open these doors in these kinds of situations will 'see' me by the door. I can't really work on it remotely. What with our current lack of power and everything. I'm sure I can get into the armory. Especially since most of the people in this room are authorized to be in there, in some form or fashion. So entrance codes won't be an issue. We have power to get the doors there unlocked unless something or someone has managed to change the codes. Though I doubt it would have been that quick to change enough codes to keep us out. Probably not even a top priority for them. Containment is usually the first line of business. I'd like to not be alone with the doors though... just in case they do open and there's some not so friendly faces; or not faces, there waiting for us," Rodney sighed as he ran a hand through his thinning hair. He knew rambling wasn't really called for in this situation without the knowledge of how much air they had, but it was better than panicking. "Even if that person with me just pulls me out of the way if we do see something unfriendly," he added as an afterthought. He was really trying to keep a cool head while his heart raced.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:01 am 
Offline
US Air Force
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:19 am
Posts: 258
Thank you, Doctor that was exactly what I needed to know. Perhaps in far more words than required, but it was understandable. The man was obviously nervous, though Fia got the impression that was a normal state for him. She smiled what she hoped was a comforting smile. Let me get thing taken care of over here, and I'll come watch the door with you.

Fia took of her cap, wiping her brow, then stuffed all those curls back up in the hat. She could already feel it getting warmer in the room, though she was sure the idea that the air was getting stifling was all in her head. With as few people as there were in a room this size, They were in no danger of running out of air. Though to be correct it was too much CO2 that killed people in these situations, not a lack of O.

She made her way over to the brainstorming group, slightly concerned to see Elvria had sat. She hoped they were doing alright, since they were her first choice for the plan she was about to suggest. Sending a message unfortunately will only be one way, and we need communication. She spoke loud enough that most everyone would hear. We should send someone through there, someone who can explain the situation and relay information back here. It is a pretty tight space, so I think it would have to be one of us gals. Elvria would be the best choice, but it is purely voluntary.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:33 pm 
Offline
US Air Force
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:43 pm
Posts: 46
Sun felt silly in the face of Serigliano's suggestion. Why had she not thought of that? Of course it was better to send someone who was actually able to talk, instead of aimlessly tossing rocks. And Tolliver was right: Morse was hopelessly out of date, especially here.

From the edge of her hearing she picked up McCauley pointing out that he knew it. But first, he was a Marine and second he was here, and not on the receiving end of any messages. Aside from that she had chosen to ignore him after she had realized that he had just been torn a second one for having a lunch break in the middle of a crisis. But she would deal with him later, after getting everyone out alive.

That was her priority. Briefly, she nodded at Dr Tolliver and Sergeant Davidson. They had every right to be doubtful of her suggestion. "Of course, you are right. Thank you for your evaluation."

She moved on towards Serigliano. "I second your suggestion, captain. If there's anything I can do to help, let me know. It's no like I can contribute much else, " she stated in a low voice so only Fia could overhear. "If my rear would fit through the shaft, I would go myself..." But her hips had not exactly stayed slender after childbirth.

With a sigh she then glanced at Elvira who had settled down at the table. Ever since Sun had talked to Parnell, her condition seemed to have changed, and not to the better.

"Excuse me for a moment..." she muttered to Fia before she approached the slender young woman. She had noticed before that Elvira was looking rather crummy. That might endanger the plan's success.

Sun leaned against the table and studied her. "Do you two think you would be up for this?" she inquired cautiously, hoping they were not asking too much of the Tok'ra.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:40 pm 
Offline
US Air Force
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:03 pm
Posts: 33
Lorne caught Ruth's gaze and small smile, he tried to match it his own lopsided but very definitely not forced. They were all facing their own inadequacies here, it had helped when someone had at least backed up your opinion even if it later turned out to be a terrible one. He'd already resolved that in the future he would keep a multi tool, full base schematics, a radio and a gun on his person at all times moving forward to ensure he could be ready for any eventuality and not prove to be as ultimately useless as he done here and now.

His gaze turned to McCauley as he noted that he had known morse code, a skill that would eventually become extinct given the lack of wider understanding. He had known the basics what he'd read in books but he hadn't claimed to be an expert by any means just a kid who had had way too much time on his hands. Either way Ruth had been right besides SOS what would anyone else know or understand unless they were sending a message to the very man who stood in the room with them.

The brainstorm continued with the suggestion that somebody be sent up there. His eyes widened swallowing deeply at the thought. One quick glance up there and he could see it was more than a little tight. There was no way a fully grown male could fit up there nor even a fully grown adult. However most had assumed that Elvira would be the natural choice. He followed what seemed to be everyone elses glance over to the young woman not wanting to be in her position in the slightest, even the thought of it was enough to make his stomach turn. However alongside her size, Elvira had the advantage of having Parnell on board. Something that from the way they had sat completely still and unfazed right now had to have been a real advantage. Something told him the Tokra would make this look easy.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:26 pm 
Offline
Civilian
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:17 pm
Posts: 116
Ruth felt utterly useless. Given the right situation, she could be as useful as anyone in the room. However, she wasn't an engineer, or a scientist, or a tactician. She was great with words and languages, but that wasn't going to get the blast door open or restore the air circulation.

She sighed quietly, pinching the bridge of her nose and running a frustrated hand back through her hair. It wasn't even as though she was particularly close to anyone in the mess at the moment, so she couldn't just chat to someone. The two people she knew the best were Lorne and Elvria, but they seemed to have their own issues.

She smiled back at Lorne, appreciative of his acknowledgment. He was probably finding things as difficult as she was, although he was at least more within his comfort zone. It was the Tok'ra who was worrying her the most, though, and she caught Parnell's gaze again, frowning and cocking her head to one side. The Major approached after captain Serigliano gave the order for Elvria and Parnell to go through the vent to try to find help.

Ruth shot the Tok'ra an alarmed glance, wondering precisely what was wrong. She took a deep breath, wondering for a second whether she knew what the hell she was doing, before speaking up. "Uuuh... Look, Elvria and Parnell are too valuable to risk," she said, shaking in her boots even as she said the words. "Unless the vent narrows, I could get through it easily enough." She looked to Lorne and McKay. "How narrow does it get? Would I be okay?"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:48 pm 
Offline
Tok'ra
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:58 pm
Posts: 64
Parnell had slipped quiet as the people in the Mess talked amongst themselves, conserving energy was high on the list of the correct movements then. He did not have much input to suggest and kept any unhelpful opinions to himself, which for him was quite an achievement to do, he was normally quite abrupt at times. Which is what made him some different from Elvria, who had patience to spare in enormous amounts, it is something that he wished to possess of hers. Sadly that never worked.

So he was quite surprised when not only did Fia come over to him, but the Major - who he knew of but had very little dealings with - and Ruth all started talking at once. He listened to them all, Fia's firm suggestion (he had no doubt there was a hidden order in there), the Major's out right order (which he appreciated when people were direct with him) and Ruth's concern.

Parnell knew that he was the smallest to be able to get through the system they wanted him to try, or rather they wanted Elvria try she was the host after all and it was the body they wanted. Besides he was a Tok'ra, a proud and stubborn Tok'ra he was not likely to say no to this, no matter how much stress he was putting himself through at that moment.

He looked at them each in turn, assessing what they said, taking into consideration as to what could be waiting for him not only in the ventilation itself, but on the other side as well. If he left, the Tau'ri left in the room would have more air to stay alive on, he could lessen the strain to himself as well and hopefully find a way to get these people out of the room.

"I shall do it," he said, nodding his head in acknowledgement. There was no other words he needed to say, but he also knew they would not take just his word for it.

Pushing himself to his feet, more steadier than he had been, he let them all see his eyes flash yellow as he let Elvria take hold once again.

Elvria, took a shaky breath, she had heard all that had been said and shared in the room. She knew what Parnell was doing inside and that he wouldn't want any of the others to know, part of her wanted to confined in these people, but it was not her place to do so.

"I agree to do this as well," she said, smiling tightly. She turned to look at Ruth, "I am the smallest, I will fit with no difficulties, I will go, thank you for the concern though."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:40 pm 
Offline
US Air Force
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:19 am
Posts: 258
((Ok guys it has been 2 weeks. I am moving on, those I skipped can play catch up.))

Fia looked from the scientist to the Tok'ra and back, an odd thought crossing her mind. She hadn't expected the red headed civilian to volunteer, in fact Fia was rather impressed she had. Overheard conversation had placed the woman as a linguist who admitted to having completed the basic certifications that any member of the SGC should have. She was the kind of person people like Fia were assigned to protect. Not the other way around, which is what Fia was considering.

I'd like to send both of you. Fia said, expecting to be looked at like she had three heads. She pulled her combat knife from it's sheath and offered it to Elvria handle first. Elvria, you take point. I would give you my sidearm, but the knife is more useful in tight spaces. Your objective, obviously is to find your way out of here and make contact with the rest of the SGC. Let them know were are in here, and unable to communicate. It will be tight quarters in there, and I can't promise that the enemy isn't prepared for this move, but I trust you will be cautious.

You are going as back up. Fia continued turning to the linguist. She really hated not knowing the woman's name, but now was not the time to worry about niceties. Fia handed over the one radio, while patting down the pockets of her vest. With a mutter 'ah-ha', She pulled a sharpie from one of them, giving that to the woman as well. You follow. I want you to clearly mark your path as you go. Every few minutes or so, try the radio. We don't know if the interference is localized or not, and the sooner we can make people aware of our situation the better. If something should go sideways, you come right back here, preferably with Elvria.

Thank you both for volunteering. She said with complete honesty. Sergeant Davidson, let's see about getting that vent cover off.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:17 pm 
Offline
US Air Force
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:43 pm
Posts: 46
That was an interesting turn of events. Although "interesting" did not quite catch it. Troubling was the word she was looking for. Now they were going to send two, one of the most valuable people in the room, and the little redhead linguist. Sun was not sure as to whom to be more concerned about. Technically, she was in command and could have vetoed against this. But she was not going to. Uncomfortable as this plan was, it also had its merits.

"Let's do this then", she muttered, drawing one of her two combat knives as well. Fia had made a good point about carrying sidearms in tight spaces.

"Ruth", she said, forgetting formality for a moment as she offered the blade to the linguist. "I know you will look out for yourself, but take it anyway. Always better to stab than shoot at close quarters..."

With that she turned around to look into the general direction of Davidson. "Does anyone happen to have a flashlight to hand?" Of course it was not really wise to alert the enemy to one's position, but in case of the vents, seeing where one was going could be potentially lifesaving as well.

And there was more. Perhaps the two of them would not have to go blindly. Quickly, she called up the base schematics in her memory. She had studied the ventilation system not long ago, as part of a threat safety assessment. After a moment's thought, she managed to come up with a set of very rough directions for their volunteers. "If I recall right, and I am at least 95% certain of this, the shaft intersects with an emergency hatch at the far side of this level. There should also be an access point, for you to get out of the crawlspace. You can move into the corridors from there. But please, assess the outside threat level first. If it is too hot out there, use the ladders to get to another level and find help there. I hope this helps," Sun added more quietly, with a glance at Fia before she walked closer to join her next to the ventilation grid.

"If this works out, we'll have one helluva report to write," she observed quietly, so that only the captain would hear. Even though she had not opposed Fia's plan, it was hard to keep the cynicism from her voice now. Desperate situations always called for desperate measures, she knew that well enough. But this did not mean she had to like it, especially not if innocent civilians went into the line of fire, and not she herself instead.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:05 pm 
Offline
Tok'ra
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:58 pm
Posts: 64
Elvria was glad the discussion over whether or not she would be sent through the ventilation system was a good idea. She knew that because of her small size she often got mistaken for being younger than she actually was and for that it meant people often thought or in her experiance most of the Tau'ri thought she was not prepared to handle these kind of situations.

Which was very much not true, out of most of the people in the room, Elvria could handle everything any of the others did, she could handle the situation. She had on occassion infiltrated a Goa'uld Mothership, so she could most deifnitley handle the current situation, her only concern was that she did not know which enemy was currently rifling through the base.

That and the fact that Parnell had been far too quiet for a long time now, but she did not wish to disturb him, if he was doing what she thought he was, then disturbing him was only going to get her a grumpy symboite in the future. It was the one thing that they could still disagree on at times, how much he wanted to preserve her life for his and it would always come back down to how old she was.

Elvria was momentarily surprised however when Fia held out the knife to her, hilt first, she wanted to protest, say she didn't need it. It wasn't like a knife was exactly going to protect her in such close quarters any more than a gun was, but at least with a knife it had less chance of bouncing off anything.

Unless the enemy had hardened armour for skin and nothing short of a staff weapon was able to penetrate it, then she was sure she would be wishing for a staff weapon or a quick death. You only got to see your enemy's eyes right before you died, so if she was looking that closely at an enemy it would not matter which weapon she was carrying.

But she did as she was told, taking orders that was what people did at times like this, smiling tightly as she felt the weight of the thing. It felt heavy in her hands, almost as though she was likely to be clumsy with it, but palming it a few times had her getting use to it - she did not have very much choice in the matter - .

"As cautious as anything," Elvria said reassuringly, before turning to look at Ruth. Ruth was probably the only person Elvria knew very well in the room and if she was honest, Elvria was happy that the linguist got to go with her. To her and Elvria knew also to Parnell - despite his quietness now - that Ruth was the one she trusted the most.

She slowly made her way over to the vent that they had signalled out, her legs felt a bit like lead, but there was nothing she could do about that short of shouting at Parnell to stop what he was doing, but that would waste more time. Elvria just hoped that as they got going, she would not lag behind too much and cause too much time to pass by.

Elvria looked around the room quickly, noticing all the faces in there, wondering if maybe she should have gotten to know these people better. Learn their names maybe, or even maybe have a conversation, but it was too late for that now, with one last glance at Ruth, Elvria hoisted her self up into the vent.

It was dark in the vent, cold and although it would not normally effect her, Elvria could not help a slight cough at the dust in the area. She moved a short ways down before stopping to wait for Ruth, this was going to be a bit more complicated than she thought.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
cron

 Affiliate with us

Fate of the Galaxy Crusader Citadel ATLANTIS UNVEILED Time & Again

RPG Ratings RPG-D

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group | DVGFX2 by: Prosk8er ©
Open Cbox