All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:35 pm 
US Air Force

"Very good then, Doctor Tolliver", Sun said as she kept moving. It was one less concern off her mind. Yet she would keep an eye out for her, just to be sure. Knowing how to fight and shoot was all well, but it said nothing about doing it under great pressure. Even for soldiers with more extensive training, it could prove hard sometimes. She knew that from experience.

Now that they had come closer to Parnell, her attention shifted back to him and what he had to say. He was right to say they would avoid public areas, just for fear of detection. It had been like this the last time around. They would strike where and when it was least expected. So no, this was not exactly their handwriting, but... The last time the Reetoo were here, they had not acted without strategical cunning, but quite the opposite. Even they, violent as they were could eventually change tactics.

"In general, I agree with you, Parnell. But what if they decided to try something new? After all they have been here before, and we stopped them. Just a thought from previous strategic experience. If a strategy fails, you don't try it twice. Otherwise, we might also be locked in and running out of air unintentionally. If a Reetoo attacked someone in the auxiliary control room, we might be here unintentionally, due to a damaged relay. If not, we must indeed consider that it's not the Reetoo we are dealing with at all."

And then what? Sun ran a hand through her hair. Then they really needed to rethink a lot of things. The possibilities were endless. It felt like treating a mysterious disease where all you could do was to manage the symptoms. For now, that was all she could focus on. "But no matter who invaded the base, they seem to be out of phase. What do you say, could they be using Goa'uld cloaking technology or a modified version of it?" she went on, directing the question at the Tok'ra. If anyone here had an idea about that, it was him. If this was so, the people patrolling outside could use the transphase eradication rods to sweep the base. In here, it was not an option because they had none to hand. This was the mess, and not the armory. Sadly...

Perhaps it was better not to speculate and rather think of getting out before the first person started fainting from asphyxiation. From the corner of her eye, she noticed Captain Serigliano trying her radio. For some reason, she doubted it would work. Effectively, communications were down and it would be pretty hard to send the outside world an SOS...

Suddenly Sun realized something. Maybe an SOS was just the thing. She turned to Doctor Tolliver. "You're the communications expert, so you might be able to help me out on this. How would you deliver a message to the outside, if all modern technology failed, like just now? I was thinking maybe we could use Morse code somehow. After all, there are still teams out there sweeping the base..." She made a quick estimate of how long a full sweep usually took. They would hardly be finished by now, not even if teams started top-down and bottom-up the mountain at the same time. "Perhaps, if we made enough noise, one of them would hear us. What do you think, could it be effective?"

If the shit hit the fan, making noise could also bring down the enemy upon them. But Sun was not really perturbed about that. If the enemy had willfully trapped them here, they needed no alerting to their presence. They had them right where they wanted them.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:20 pm 
US Air Force

The Captains words added to the many words already spiralling around his head as he struggled to find some kind of work around. "I think the kitchens would be our best bet, it would stand to reason the kitchens would have some kind of control in terms of food prep", he replied a delayed response to her question. He hadn't memorised the blueprints of every level of the mountain something which he now found himself cursing but it stood to reason the kitchens would be their best bet as the Captain had suggested. The ovens and the food prep air filtration would be a must. He forced a smile, "Not the answer you were hoping for given her current predicament but this room wasn't built to be anything else other than just that, a room", he concluding glancing around at the framed images of aircraft that adorned the walls.

Running a hand through his short blonde hair he sighed, "A part of me thinks that it would be easier to get into the kitchen rather than through that blast door", he added as he regarded Doctor McKay working towards the opening the blast door. If anyone was going to get them through that door it was McKay, for all the things he was McKay was almost certainly a genius second only to their own Samantha Carter. He couldn't ever hope to know everything they did on the stargates but he'd certainly give it a good try. "The kitchen wasn't made to keep anybody out necessarily but the blast door on the other hand...", he added leaving the Captain to fill in the blanks.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:13 pm 
Civilian

Ruth stood and listened as the Major engaged the Tok'ra in conversation. She wanted to chime in that she'd stake a year's salary on the incursion not having been carried out by the Reetou. It was nothing like she had been through back then, and, from what she had read and researched, was nothing like their usual modus operandi. However, her suppositions had been met with scorn and almost instant dismissal, so she decided to keep her own counsel for now, at least until she was asked to give input.

However, when she was asked to contribute, it brought a snort of laughter from Ruth. "I'm not a communications expert, I'm a linguist," she explained. "That means I can deconstruct languages, not figure out how to communicate when no channels of communication are open." She shrugged for a moment.

"If this room is anything like the rest of the base, I'd imagine that it's pretty much soundproofed, aside from the ventilation shafts. If enough noise could be made into the shafts, then maybe we could be heard elsewhere in the base." She nodded towards McKay and Lorne. "You'd be better off asking those two, I think."

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:44 pm 
Tok'ra

"What are you doing Parnell?" Elvria asked inside his head, the worry trickling through the body as the question was asked, "You can not keep us at this level for a sustained amount of time and still remain in control."

Parnell resisted the urge to speak out loud in his reply to his host, it was something that had trickled down through their blending so many years ago, that there were times he did actually reply verbally to Elvria. This was not one of the times that he could do such a thing, he knew that the Tau'ri would not permit him to do such a thing (they were very pro-life at the end of the day) but he knew there were also some very smart people in the room that needed that air more than others.

"Making sure that you live Elvria,"
he said internally, "If it comes down to that I will leave you with most of my knowledge, but please know that it is a last resort. The smartest Tau'ri members are in this room, they will get you out of this situation." He chanced a glance at the others by the door, the people that were as far as he could tell were still 'talking' over the situation in hand and not actually doing anything.

Parnell went to answer the Major's question but caught Ruth's eye instead, he had known the woman for a while, had helped her out when she had got stuck and had even learned some of his own language back. The red headed woman had been interesting to speak to, he enjoyed speaking with her, there was a flicker of something that passed across the face as he slowed the heartbeat of Elvria even further before it passed.

"The Goa'uld have cloaking technology yes," Parnell answered turning his attention to the Major fully, his voice not sounding as loud as it had done before now. "But not on this scale, they would not to my knowledge be able to sustain," he paused briefly, "it for that long. Also it would be like the Reetoo, they would have attacked by now."

The talking had taken more out of him than he expected, but he did not let it show, this was not the time to be showing weakness. He rested a hand on the nearest table, to anyone it would look like he was just resting as people tried to sort out the mess they were currently in. To himself it was a way of conserving more energy, to make sure that he did not pass out before anything substantial happened. There was no cause for alarming the others yet.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:13 pm 
US Marines

The Captain wasn't paying attention. And truth be told, he didn't really care much about what was going on. Once he was needed, someone would call out for him. Until then, though. Plenty of time to eat a sandwich. So he calmly sat down and took the tinfoil-wrapped bread out of one of his pockets. Just as a precaution, though, he made sure his sidearm was okay. McCauley didn't like the Beretta M9, and much preferred the M45 MEUSOC that was issued to Force Recon personnel. There was no point in arguing about it, though. This was a Chairforce op, and they had decided on this equipment.

From where he was sitting, McCauley could both doors. If there was any visible change to either of them, he'd know, though. Even if he wasn't entirely interested right now.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:35 am 
US Air Force

There was no reply on the radio, just as Fia had expected. They were indeed on their own. Leaving her radio low but on, she half smiled at the tech. You may be right, Sergeant Davidson. All reports have the kitchen doors as impassable as the main doors, but I would like your assessment of that. If you don't mind. I am running out of options here. She looked about again, hoping for inspiration. Then she spotted Captain McCauley... sitting ... eating a sandwich. Her mind boggled. If you will excuse me.

Walking over to him, she stopped on the other side of the table. Fia leaned forward, both hands flat on the wooden surface. Making sure she had his attention, she spoke quietly so that the others would not hear, but he certainly would. You may have noticed Captain, we are in a situation here. Emergency lighting, sealed doors, defunct air filtration system. When this began, I 'requested' you sweep the room for unseen hostiles... You checked the doors. I 'requested' you cover one of the two people who can probably get us out of here... you made a sandwich. I made these 'requests', despite having been put in command of securing this room, out of deference to our shared rank. She paused just long enough to emphasize she could have made them orders. Now I am suggesting you put the sandwich down and start acting like the officer you are supposed to be. Particularly before the Major notices... Fia stood and walked away, not giving him time to respond. It was up to him now. He could do his job, or eat his sandwich. If he chose the latter, he was useless to her anyhow.

The brains still seemed to be discussing matters, so Fia let them be and walked over to the doors. The doctor seemed to have stopped working on the doors, instead checking his sidearm and listing off all their options. "I'm sure we can put our heads together and get it running again, Captain. Or we can get the door open. The lack of power is fairly easy to override from this side if you know what you're doing. And I'm sure there's enough of us in the room who have at least a base understanding of the base and it's mechanics to get both working. Or we can try and open the doors to the kitchen. Or both. Either would work to give us more room to work or access to going for the armory; which I'm sure you already thought of, and we'd be able to get that open with an access code and a nine volt battery. Gotta love these old, redundant, safe systems, right? Right! So, what would you like me to work on first?"

Dr. McKay She smiled at the brilliant but seemingly easily distracted genius. I've asked Sergeant Davidson for his assessment of the kitchen doors, I need the same from you. I am sure give time, you can get through those doors. My question is How much time? Until I know what is going on out there, time is a hot commodity.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:22 am 
US Air Force

That was a good point. But Sun had no idea why Tolliver found her suggestion that amusing. She decided to politely overlook it. "Yes, you're right. Those two would know the technical stuff." She looked over to Davidson and McKay as they had a look around the ventilation system and kitchen door. She would ask them once they were finished with that.

For now, she returned her attention to Tolliver. "As a linguist, you should have a better idea of semiotics than me. So, if the shafts work out, we'd need to send a message that's easily understood. What would you say, and how would you code it? I was thinking of a simple SOS but I'm doubtful whether that would be effective enough to get help quickly. So, I'd be grateful of any better ideas from you."

With that she turned to Parnell for another brief moment. Somehow, his host had begun to look unwell. But Sun had no idea about that. She had always been overly sensitive to changes in people. But she could as well be fooled by the dull emergency lights. "Do you have any wild guesses who else it could be if not the Reetou? Anyone the Tok'ra might have fought at some point in the past?"

Giving them a moment to think, she made over towards the kitchen door to get some expert advice on her idea. After a brief glance at Captain Serigliano, she turned towards Davidson. "Tech Sergeant, if you have a second. We were discussing the idea of sending a distress call through the ventilation shafts. Would you think this is viable? And how would you go about it?" she inquired, just before passing another wistful look at the sealed kitchen door.

Where was that double pack of C4 when you needed it? She had used that the last time a blast door had needed opening. She made a mental note to have it added to the general emergency equipment. That was, if they made it out of here.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:50 pm 
US Air Force

He turned his attentions to the kitchen door as the Captain turned hers towards berating another member of their company would had taken to chilling with a sandwich. That might have been his preferred option giving all the good their parading around had done thus far. Rounding the nearest table and approaching the kitchen door he gave it a good shoulder push for good measure it just as immovable as the first time before his fingers traced the area where the door had locked shut.

At the call he paused turning towards Sharpe. A distress call? His brow furrowed at the suggestion. What were they planning on doing knocking out a message in morse code hoping that the message to carry its way along the shaft. Even if it had there was no telling who would be there to hear it or whether they would even understand what it was.

"We could certainly try. Although I'm not entirely sure who would be there to receive the message. Presuming that the entire base is on the same kind of lockdown as us they might not be anyone who could actually help get us the hell out of here. But any ideas better than none I suppose", he added finally. He couldn't deny the feeling of claustrophobia that was beginning to creep over him. It hadn't been something that normally bothered him aside from watching documentaries of people crawling through the depths of the pyramids or underground chambers. The fear prickled down his back at the thought that they may never get the hell out of here.

"How to make the noise isn't really the issue rather what would we say and how would we say it. Its not like everybody spent much of their youth studying morse code", he looked towards her his face completely serious. Voices wouldn't travel far enough for anybody on the other end to work out any kind of useful message.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:38 pm 
Civilian

Ruth's expression remained utterly bland as the Major asked how she would send a message. She bit back on a retort which would have meant she asked the other woman in which language she'd like it written. Sniping at her, no matter how facile the woman was being, would do them no good whatsoever. Instead, she smiled a little, and shrugged.

In truth, there was no "best way" to go about it. English was the one language that everyone at the SGC spoke, but it would do them no good if nobody could hear them. Tapping out a message in Morse was looking like the only way that they might just be able to get a message out before they could get the doors open. Looking a little surprised as Lorne's opinion backed up her own unspoken thoughts, Ruth tried to catch his eye, giving him a grateful smile. At least someone didn't think she was talking crap, it would appear.

Finally, Ruth spoke up to back up Lorne. "Morse code is the universal constant, the SOS being a fixed international signal. I'm assuming that pretty much everyone here would know that, at least, but... we're going to have to figure out where the vent comes out at its closest juncture, I think. Probably the only people who would understand anything more complex would be the communications experts, so we'd have to figure out how to get the message to the control room from here." Ruth shrugged. "And... well, I gotta ask, seeing as Morse code, beyond some real basic stuff, hasn't been taught in the US military for more than fifteen years, who, in here, knows it well enough to code up something more complex? I sure don't."

Ruth felt as though she was a bit of a death's head, truth be told, and crossed her arms over her chest, shrinking back into herself a little, ready to have yet another practical suggestion and point thrown back at her as useless. She smiled back, ever so slightly at Parnell, but frowned as she noticed he appeared to be struggling with something. She cocked her head and raised her eyebrows in a silent question. They'd worked together enough for Ruth to know that it was the Tok'ra controlling the body, and there was something going on there.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:55 pm 
Tok'ra

Parnell had not said anything for a while now, all the Tau'ri were still discussing a way to open a door or now potentially send a message to the rest of the Tau'ri. Although he was sure that sending a message out would end up with them being in more danger, if who ever had put the base into it's lock down, Parnell knew it would not necessarily been intentional for them to lock people in the Mess Hall.

It was a strange feeling, as he watched the Captain shout at a member of the trapped people for making some food, to know that every person in the room was trying to get out. He was there, trying to conserve as much oxygen for the room as possible, by slowing everything down in the body. Everyone was working towards the same objective, it was just that his objective was to keep the Tau'ri members alive longer.

He also had no more input to give, there was no other suggestions he could make, until something else happened Parnell knew they would keep going round in circles. He very minutely shook his head in Ruth's direction, he could deal with this on his own, he would probably very much be reprimanded as well, but it was his decision, well his and Elvria's decision. They had both decided together on this course of action.

All he needed was a seat, a seat to sit and carry on with what he was doing, he quietly sat down in the nearest vacant seat. Until something else happened or they got the door open Parnell knew it was a waiting game and Tok'ra could be very, very patient when needs be.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next