All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: Race Against Time
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:43 pm 
Thor

14:00, 1st October 2014

Narim's eyes flickered open. Where was he? He took a moment to remember what had happened.

The explosion, the screams, the weapons being discharged... then a last, desperate jump through the gate to earth.

He didn't know what he would have done had the Tau'ri not believed him. His message had been far more calm and collected than he had felt, knowing that the danger was growing ever closer.

Ever since the unexpected visitors to Tollana the night before, Narim had been on edge. At first, it seemed as though they were going to be staunch allies of the advanced civilisation, and shared the opinion that giving technology to less developed races was not only dangerous, but also counter-productive. His eyes drifted closed again.

"Narim, can you hear me?"

The voice... familiar. Was it Major Samantha Carter? No, he would know her voice anywhere. It was a Tau'ri voice, though. He forced his eyes open again, only to blink them closed. A bright light was being shone into one of them. He felt fingers on his other eye, forcing it open, then the same bright light, and the same voice. "I... I can hear you," he said, his voice little more than a dull rasp.

Doctor Major Janet Fraiser.

The name came back to him in a flash of memory, and he slowly opened his eyes once more.

"Do you know where you are, Narim?" Fraiser's voice was insistent, the tone that doctors used when someone was at risk of serious consequences from an illness or injury, and, from the aches in his body, dulled by painkillers, he knew that person was him.

"I am... at the SGC. I would assume that I am receiving medical treatment for my injuries." He hadn't thought the injuries were that severe at the time, but he had been wrong. Anything that had been severe enough to cause him to collapse, and receive treatment, was severe indeed. "I came here to seek your help..."

A moment of panic, and he tried to sit up, an agonising pain in his ribs preventing anything more than raising his head. "Where... where is your General Hammond? I must speak with him at once!"

Out of the corner of his eye, Narim saw the familiar figure of Hammond, and laid back into his pillows, relief coursing through him as thoroughly as the most potent drug. "General Hammond, the people of Tollana need your help," he said, his voice hoarse. Hammond approached the bed, standing over the prone man. "What, exactly, can we do for you, Narim," he asked, his voice more than a touch cynical. While the Tau'ri and the Tollans were, to all intents and purposes, allies, he resented the withholding of information and technology by their so-called "friends".

"The Tollan people came under attack this morning," he said, almost reticent to tell Hammond. However, he knew that the people of earth were their best hope in repairing the damage done to their people. "We were attacked by a race calling themselves the Furlings."

You could hear a pin drop in the infirmary at that revelation.

"The Furlings," repeated Hammond, frowning. "Are you certain?" The Furlings were one of the Four Great Races, along with the Asgard, the Nox and the Ancients. They had had their encounters with the Ancients, the Nox and the Asgard, but the prevalent opinion amongst those people was that the Furlings had died out. Little was known about them, so for a race to claim to be Furlings... this could be a development of enormous importance.

Narim nodded, his neck aching with every movement. "Yes, the Furlings. They claimed to be the Furlings, anyway, although their increasing aggression when we refused to end our association with you indicated that they were not, in fact, who they claimed to be." He sighed, closing his eyes tightly against the bright lights. "We were worried that you may have come under attack this morning. One of their operatives stole one of the devices containing your gate codes, and were able to dial out to earth before we could stop them."

Suddenly, everything started clicking into place. "Are these beings... corporeal," asked Hammond, a cold dread filling him. Narim shook his head as best he could. "They are able to switch between corporeal and non-corporeal phases, and, as such, are capable of travelling through the gates without being witnessed."

Hammond held a hand up. "What do you need from us, Narim? Consider this carefully, now that I am aware we could have a situation on our hands here." He would not be able to spare many people; it would appear that he would need as many hands on deck within the base as possible.

Narim coughed. "We need medical help. We have many children injured, and our medical teams were decimated in the initial attack by these beings. It was almost as though it was planned. We would also appreciate long term help in rebuilding key facilities, but we understand if you are unable to help with this."

Another cough, and his eyes fluttered closed. "We may not have much time, General Hammond. And neither may you, if these beings have made their way to the SGC."

The very thought of that chilled Hammond's blood, and he reached for the intercom on the wall, putting out a call to the entire Mountain. "All active staff on base to report to the gateroom immediately. The mountain is on lockdown until further notice, and all possible security precautions are to be held until my order, is that clear?"

He turned back to Narim. "You'll have your medical assistance, Narim, and we shall discuss things further when you are well." And with that, he turned on a heel and headed for the gateroom. There was no time to lose.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]