All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Moving in ... Tag: Fia
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:20 am 
US Air Force

October 1st, 2014 ; 11:15 AM

With a sigh, Sun dropped her sword in its accustomed place on the sideboard. Taking it for a spin in the gym had helped to finally clear her head. The things going on at the moment, both here and at home, had made it hard to think this morning. As of now, her expertise was not required. But still, it was not as though she could simply sit down and pore over the mission reports stacked on her desk either.

Muttering a quiet stream of Chinese curses under her breath, she sat down at her desk. With her left, she grasped a hair tie and started braiding the mass of her long, dark hair into something more serviceable. In the meanwhile she frowned at the baby picture of her son. Liam was definitely no innocent baby anymore now.

Yesterday, her precious little boy had gotten into his very first fight at the daycare. Even though he had defended another toddler in it, Sun had gotten to hear a long-winded speech on positive parenting by one of the nursery teachers. She had pretended to listen, but had in fact been in quite another place in her head. Liam had done well after all and another parent should have listened to the teacher's verbal lashing.

Sun realized that this event was not the true root of today's lack of concentration. She got up again to peer into the teapot she had placed on the desk earlier. Neither was a lack of red ginseng tea. There was still enough in the antique clay pot to revive the spirits of a whole army.

Then, suddenly, Sun recalled what was really amiss: She had been given a new roommate. After the desaster with the last one, she was not really inclined to share her office space again. Yet someone upstairs had thought it a good idea. As to why, she did not know.

Groaning, she poured herself some tea. When her fingertips touched the small china bowl that held the liquid, she was glad to find it had reached a decent drinking temperature. As she gently swilled around the tea, her eyes found the empty desk at the other end of the sizeable room. There was definitely still space for someone else. Perhaps this time, they would be a better match.

Distant footsteps in the hall outside told her that she was soon to find out. Closing her eyes, Sun listened. The approaching newcomer had a light tread. Most likely female and of a lithe stature. She could have tried to guess more things about her new roomie, but she was in no mood for it.

Instead, Sun turned towards the half-open door. With a mild frown, she readied herself for whoever was about to arrive.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:53 am 
US Air Force

It had taken all her willpower NOT to turn around and look at the Sergeant Major's face, when she left the mess. She was fairly sure, from the surprised hurmph, that she had got him. Just the thought of disturbing his calm, even a little, made her grin. She was still grinning several floors away when the airman caught up with her.

Captain Serigliano? The young man stop just out of her way and snapped at attention. Fia's arms were still overloaded, so she gave him a nod to continue. The office of the quartermaster has been looking for you, ma'am. Your work space assignment has been sorted.

Fia juggled books and folders to one side, and took the paper he was offering up. Sure enough, it was paperwork assigning her to Level 19, room 23. At the bottom was the name Major Sharpe, hand written in red ink. Thank you, Airmen. She said releasing him from standing in ceremony. Just before the Airman walked away she could have sworn she heard him wish her luck.

The office was not difficult to find, and as she approached the door, Fia got the distinct whiff of hot tea. She rounded the corner and stopped in the doorway. Her new office mate was already there, looking out the door. They were a similar height, but other than that they couldn't have been more different. Long dark hair versus wild curls, classicly beautiful features vs rustic pretty, a frown vs Fia's natural smile. This was going to be interesting.

Standing at attention best she could without tossing the books, Fia looked straight ahead. Major Sharpe? Fia said with a slight question in her voice.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:02 am 
Thor

((Admin note: moving this to the Violation forums, as this takes place during the boardwide event.))

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:37 pm 
US Air Force

Sun had not been wrong. The newcomer was indeed a woman. She had a similar height and built as her own. At least this way, Sun did not have to stoop to behold hee. A thick shock of russet curls framed her pleasant-looking face. Sun wondered how she tamed them the way she did.

Upon stopping at the office door, the other woman stood to attention. She seemed a year or two older than Sun, yet she was her junior in rank. This served her well enough. It would give her a good opportunity to show her the ropes right from the start.

Major Sharpe? her new office mate inquired with a half friendly, half insecure smile.

It depends who is asking. Sun replied. The frown vanished from her face, yet she kept on regarding the other in a deadpan way. She had not yet allowed her to stand at ease, and was not about to. One of the books she clutched under her one arm hung at a dangerous angle. Sun was in half a mind to wait until it fell.

Without allowing for a reply, she took the allocation papers off the pile of folders, the other was also holding. Setting down her teacup, she studied them cursorily. Then the bottom of the form caught her attention. It had her name, pencilled down in thick red ink, like a mute sign of warning.

Despite herself, Sun laughed out loud. The scarlet letter... she muttered quietly as she slipped the paperwork onto the vacant desk. A red pen, the last vengeance of the petty bureacrat. So this was the ultimate reckoning for her taking it out on one of the quartermaster's aides in the gym... how droll.

Now that her mood had improved somewhat, she remembered to release her new roommate from her ordeal. At ease, Captain. Please. She nodded towards the empty half of the office and waited for the other to bring in her things.

On the way, the tome finally slipped to the ground. Remembering her manners, Sun picked it up and carried it after her. The title sounded intriguing. Eventually, she would have to borrow it. This already made her new roomie a bit more sympathetic.

So, you are Captain Serigliano then? she inquired. As the other woman had laid down her belongings, Sun managed to extend a hand. Major Desiree Sharpe. Please forgive the callous welcome. Today is perhaps not the best of days to meet me.

She wanted to add that she had a reputation to uphold. But, since this was a fellow officer and no green airman in need of a lesson, she could as well drop that act.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:47 pm 
US Air Force

Released from attention, Fia's sholders eased down as she moved towards the desk. The shifting was juse enough to cause the Ancient Primer to slip out of her grasp.balls.. Dumping the rest of her 'homework' on the desk, Fia turned to find Major Sharpe standing behind her with the stray tome.

So, you are Captain Serigliano then? The Major inquired, holding out her hand. Major Desiree Sharpe. Please forgive the callous welcome. Today is perhaps not the best of days to meet me.

Fia took the volume in her left hand, firmly shaking Major Sharpe's hand with her right. Her easy smile returned in full, and she even ventured a tease. I could go, and try again tomorrow, ma'am. Just give me a moment. I've been lugging these books about all day.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:19 pm 
US Air Force

I could go, and try again tomorrow, ma'am. Just give me a moment. I've been lugging these books about all day. the captain said, daring to smile a little.

The tease made Sun snort quietly. I don't think that would help much, captain. A moment later, she sighed. How about you stay and I offer you a cup of tea? Slowly she walked over to her bookcase and fished the spare teacup off the top shelf. She was beginning to like the other woman. As she set it down on the desk and poured a little quantity of ginseng tea into it, she allowed a quick smile to cross her face. But I warn you, it is pretty strong.

That being said, she grabbed her own cup and downed it. Its contents were just the right strength for her. But it was definitely an acquired taste. Her husband would splash the tea right into her face; and he was no chicken.

Curiously, she watched the captain. As she waited for her reaction, another question popped up in her head. Could it be that you have been a little desperate for an office? Otherwise they would've hardly put you here. To some, this is the most dangerous place on base... Sun tried to keep a straight face, but the notion was so funny, she had to roll her eyes.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:36 am 
US Air Force

Fia knew a test when she saw one. Taking the small teacup from Major Sharpe, she tossed it back with no less vigor. She managed to control most of her reaction, expect a wrinkling of the nose. Staring at the bottom of the cup, she said. Nope, not my cup of tea. Literally. But thanks for the welcome.

As for desperation? Honestly I would have been happy with a table in a corner somewhere. Fia continued as she moved around the back of her new desk. Toggling the power switch on the standard issue PC, she couldn't help but wonder just how many hours with IT is was going to take to get everything set up to her liking. I prefer to think of it as, they wouldn't have sent me here if they didn't think I would handle it. But then I have often been accused of being an optimist.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:38 pm 
US Air Force

The captain took the proffered tea bravely and Sun had to admit that she found her reaction quite admirable. She had seen many try it... and fail miserably. This woman was brave and it would serve her well around this office.

As for desperation? Honestly I would have been happy with a table in a corner somewhere. she went on. I prefer to think of it as, they wouldn't have sent me here if they didn't think I would handle it. But then I have often been accused of being an optimist.

And they accuse me of being a misanthropist. Sun contested, her lip twitching mildly. Either that, or the b-word...

When the captain tried to switch on the computer, Sun winced. It was not going to get her very far, with a busted cable. Since no one had used the workstation since she had chased off her last office mate, nobody had come to fix it. From a drawer, she fished her cable. Here, take mine, I don't need it.

Content, Sun patted her own laptop, a spec-ops issue from her previous assignment. It was literally indestructible and she cherished it. Some of the Combat Controllers had organized it for her after seeing the atrocious state of her old one. And she was more than glad that the SGC had allowed her to keep on using it. Sometimes I seriously wonder whether we are just too classified to be issued some quality equipment outside the gateroom. she sighed.I never thought I would ever be so grateful of having this gem...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:21 am 
US Air Force

Thanks! Fia took the cable gratefully. While she was not a computer Guru, she knew enough of the basics to plug it all back together. Checking the cords and cables from the wall socket all the way to the monitor, she made sure they were all tight and in good shape. With a silent prayer to St. Isidore, she hit the power button. Nothing exploded. That was always a blessing. The monitor lit up, and the familiar start up screen began it's laborious process. Sliding back into the seat, she couldn't help but admire the sleek laptop the Major was extolling.

That is a really nice looking machine. I would guess it is personal?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:38 am 
US Air Force

That is a really nice looking machine. I would guess it is personal?

Sun chuckled. If it were her personal laptop, it would speak volumes of her personality... Actually, it is issue; just not SGC issue. Some of the boys at my old regiment organized it for me. After my old one...

She paused to cough quietly, feeling the heat rise to her cheeks. Well, it was pretty much shot through... literally.