All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:45 pm 
Beta Site CMO

Claire bit her lip at Elvria's reaction to her cursing. "I'm sorry, it's just... gut reaction, you know," she explained. "Us Kiwis are used to pretty much everyone swearing in some way or another." Her mum, in fact, was probably one of the only people she knew who didn't swear like a sailor, and it seemed almost archaic.

However, harsh as her initial reaction might have been, Claire had to give Elvria the chance to explain everything. There might be some perfectly rational and reasonable explanation, even though a small part of her doubted it. And when the young woman said it, it did seem as though it was a viable explanation as to what they wanted to achieve. "What do you know about the host," she asked, wondering whether the host had been taken by force, or whether he or she had come from one of the colonies that seemed to breed children specifically for the purpose. Claire didn't know which was worse.

Claire tossed out a lopsided smile. "Well, at least you've got one of your own in there to make sure it's not obvious he's gone missing," she said, giving a light shrug. And despite the different host, that could be explained a thousand times in a thousand ways.

She sighed, pushing a weary hand back through her hair again. "I know they're parasites, but still... this is a tough subject," she admitted. "Do you have any idea when or how you're going to conduct the test?" Seeing as it wasn't a decision that Claire could influence, she might as well just try to find out as much as possible.

She nodded to the coffee pot as she got up to put a new filter in, the scent from the ground coffee tantalising to her senses. "Can I get you a coffee? Tea?" Claire had the feeling that she was going to be awake for a very long time.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:40 pm 
Tok'ra

"Tea please," answered Elvria, she might have liked the smell of coffee, but she preferred the taste of tea. She had been told that she was very much like the British personnel they had on base, the majority of them seemed to like tea more, of course Elvria did not know exactly how close the Tau'ri she actually was. She had no memories of anything before being taken by the Goa'uld or a time without Parnell by her side, it was just feelings and that sense of deja vu one would get if she ended up in a place before. Most of the time she would put the deja vu sensation down to Parnell, he had, had a few hosts before her, it would not surprise her if they ended up somewhere he had been before.

Once the tea was sat in front of her, she wrapped her hands around it, Elvria understood the difficult subject she had brought to the woman's attention. It had not been her inclination to bring such information to the forefront, in fact she had not even shared that little titbit of information with the General. She had a feeling that like Claire, there would be a lot of profanities said when the information became more widely spread.

"The swearing it is harsh, reminds me of the Goa'uld language at times, I understand it is just your way of expressing shock," she said, offering a small smile, showing that although it made her wince at times she understood why it happened. She knew that it was not directed straight at herself and that nothing else other than words were going to be said, she was kind of use to it.

Elvria thought back to the last time she had been in front of the Tok'ra council and what they had shown her of the captured Goa'uld. It had been unpleasant, not that there was ever a time that being the presence of a Goa'uld was pleasant, the host was young, as young as herself when she had been taken. It made her feel cold when she thought back to being stuck on that mothership all them years ago, yes she had been treated well but it still had been unpleasant, after a while you started to loose hope.

"The host, he is young," she started, taking a sip of the tea, "older than myself when I was taken. But that is what makes it a good choice, the Tok'ra do not think he has been a host for long, the longer the Goa'uld has been in the harder it could be to extract, is my theory."

She wasn't sure if Claire knew of her past, it was not something Elvria spoke of, but it also was not something that had been kept from the very small medical file she knew there was. It had been a standard procedure thing, the more times she came back to Earth the more she endured there medical check ups, things had been added as time had gone along. She just wasn't sure if that had been added or not.

"The Tok'ra want the information the Goa'uld inside has first, before any extraction can take place. Of course if we do not come up with something, they will take the information and it will possibly be to late for either host of symbiote by that point."

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:29 am 
Beta Site CMO

Claire nodded, getting up to flick the kettle on for Elvria. She was sure there were some teabags around here somewhere. At least, she hoped so. One left. Her luck was in. She made the tea, placing it on a coaster on her desk in front of Elvria, before turning her attention to the coffee machine, willing it to go faster.

Claire noted that Elvria held the mug with both hands, almost as though she was using it as a comfort for something, even if it was just what appeared to be a difficult conversation ahead.

"Look, if it upsets you, I'll try to tone it down in front of you," said Claire, shrugging. It would be no worse than how she had to comport herself in front of certain members of the military hierarchy, and the last thing she wanted to do was to offend Elvria. She seemed like a nice enough girl.

Making herself the thickest, strongest coffee she could manage - most of the other doctors would appreciate it as they came on shift - Claire poured herself a mug and sat opposite Elvria. Her mind was racing at a thousand miles per hour over the revelation she had just borne witness to, and she really didn't know what to make of it. Sure, in times of war, "any means necessary" was a common phrase, but there was a singular human cost to be counted here.

Claire sighed. "So you reckon that, as time goes by, the Goa'uld managed to dig in deeper, so to speak?" It would only stand to reason, as their biological and nervous systems meshed. As time went by, the Goa'uld would be able to burrow deeper into the body of its host, making it harder and harder to extricate.

Claire twitched an eyebrow upwards. "How old were you, when you were taken, if you don't mind me asking," she said, taking a sip of her coffee. She knew what she had heard about the Tok'ra woman on the grapevine, but she preferred not to listen to rumours. She had been the subject of enough rumours herself lately.

Taking another sip of her coffee, Claire nodded, just the once. Of course the Tok'ra would want the intelligence before risking any extraction. It made sense. Still, it didn't make it any easier for her to accept what was happening. "Who else knows about this, Elvria," she asked. She had a feeling that there were very few people - if any - on the base who had been told.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:04 pm 
Tok'ra

Taking a sip of the tea Elvria smiled, it was just right, which impressed her, not many people could get tea right, even herself at times when making such a drink. It did not always turn out right and tasted funny. “Yes that is right,” she said, “The Goa'uld are harder to extract the longer they had been in the host. One could only imagine how difficult it would be to extract a Goa'uld from one of the System Lords.”

Actually Elvria did not want to imagine that, she was sure no matter how well they got any extraction technique down that for one of the very high ranking System Lords, it would kill the host regardless. “There is also the effects of a sarcophagus to contend with, we believe the Goa'uld we have has not used one that often. I believe you are aware of the addictive nature of these and how they corrupt people?”

Elvria had used a sarcophagus herself half a dozen times, back when she was human and knew what it was like to forget who you were, where you were or what you were meant to do. After being rescued herself, she had, had to 'detox' as the Tau'ri would say before becoming a host, which was compounded by the fact that she had been hurt. But once she was bonded to Parnell, she heard the stories of the sarcophagus use and what it could do, how addictive it was, she heard the cautionary tales the humans were told before becoming a host. She had even known of Tok'ra betraying their own kind because of such a thing.

The question as to how young she had been when taken herself, caught her off guard, people talked around that subject with her. People knew that if she had not been rescued by the Tok'ra then it would be her they were making plans to possibly kill, capture or some other horrible thing. So the outright asking from Claire, made Elvria pause for a moment.

“I was 14 years of age,” answered Elvria, “For someone who was taken to become a host, the Goa'uld treated us...not good, but...they never want an unhealthy host.”

Elvria spoke very little of her time on board that ship, mainly because some of the days sort of mingled together, between having all they could eat to laying in sarcophagus to make them strong enough for a Goa'uld implantation.

Shifting slightly in her seat Elvria knew that question would come up, how many people knew, and that shy look crept back into her face. The one that clearly shouted out to everyone that Elvria was not the best person to lie outright to someone's face, if they got Parnell he could twist the truth to anything he wanted. She really wished sometimes that, that trait passed along to her but it had it.

“Well, there is myself, Parnell and well....now you,” answered Elvria quietly. “That makes 3 people that know.”

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:29 pm 
Beta Site CMO

Idly, Claire jotted down some notes as Elvria talked, more out of habit than anything else. However, with her being so tired, it wouldn't hurt to have something to refer to when she was feeling more rested and awake. Well, that is if she wanted to get involved in the research.

And why wouldn't she? This kind of thing was a surgeon's dream, and, despite neurosurgery not being her specialty, she might still be able to give some input.

Claire frowned, musing over the possibilities. "Strange question... does the Tok'ra know of any paralysing agents that work on the Goa'uld, but wouldn't affect human physiology?" Maybe if the parasite could be paralysed, it could be prevented from fighting back. Of course, the Tok'ra had probably already thought of that and discounted it for any number of reasons.

"Yes, I know about the use of the sarcophagus," Claire confirmed, making some further notes. "Do you think that the sarcophagus makes it possible for the Goa'uld to strengthen their hold on the host?" Or was it perhaps the fact that the human host grew addicted to the sarcophagus that made the host almost want to cling on to the Goa'uld? She supposed it could be anything.

Claire's eyes widened as Elvria told her how old she had been when taken to be groomed as a host. "Fourteen? Oh, Elvria," she said, her voice and eyes compassionate. That must have hell for the girl. "And how old were you when the Tok'ra found you?" She couldn't have been that much older. The girl looked barely out of her teens.

A strange, almost shifty expression suffused Elvria's face, and Claire wondered, for a moment, whether she was going to be given some half-truth. But no. The admission brought a gasp to Claire's lips. "Shit," she muttered, before shaking her head. "Sorry. But only three, you, Parnell and now me? Why've you told me, Elvria? Why haven't you spoken to someone like the General about this?"

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:20 pm 
Tok'ra

Elvria was not one to pace around the room in agitation, she had seen others do that before and had wondered if it helped, but for herself pacing did not help. But she couldn't help feeling a little like she needed to be doing something, instead of just sitting there with a half finish cup of tea, she saw the compassion in Claire's eyes, heard it in her voice and it made her skin feel too tight. Elvria had learned long ago that people did not show you compassion often and any that did were wanting something in return, so yes that, that made her skin itch. It was a similar sensation to the first days of being Parnell's host, everyone had expected certain answers from her and from Parnell and there were people that looked at her a certain way because of hosting Parnell.

“This is why we do not trust people easily Elvria, you get hurt,” Parnell whispered in the back of her mind. She knew of his mistrust of people, had come to accept it as just being that one trait of Parnell's that was not ever going to go away, but Claire, Claire she had known of the woman one and off for the last few months. Elvria could say with certainty that she trusted her, but Parnell, there was not a lot of trust for Claire there.

“Rescued by the Tok'ra,” Elvria corrected, refusing to answer Parnell's comment, “there was no being found and sixteen years of age.” Elvria knew that to the Tau'ri 16 years of age was very young, but she had known Jaffa, Tok'ra and Goa'uld that at 16 they had seen more than most humans. She even had a 'feeling' that had she not been taken there would have been something important she would have gone through at that required age.

“Because the Tau'ri would want access and the Tok'ra might not want to share,” admitted Elvria. “The council were going to make there own admission to the General when they felt the time was right, I admitted it because we were discussing extraction of a Symbiote and the information was clearly important to further it.”

Elvria shifted again, the one thing no one knew about was her own use of a sarcophagus, it was one thing that Parnell had strongly suggested she did not share with others. They both knew that the Tau'ri were more susceptible to getting addicted to one quicker than most. It was the one thing she wasn't going to be sharing that day either, she might trust Claire but not that much, there were some secrets that she was willing to listen to Parnell on.

“Sarcophagus makes the hosts body stronger, repairs near enough any permanent damage that could be made to the host.” The tea was rapidly cooling in her hands now and Elvria could see that cold film it usually got on the top as she carried on speaking. “I have not spoken to the council in a short time, if they have come up with something for paralysing a Goa'uld I have not been informed of it yet.”

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:21 pm 
Beta Site CMO

Claire noticed that Elvria was tense, but then, it was a tense conversation they were having about a potentially explosive situation. She'd be surprised if the woman wasn't showing some level of agitation at least. The tea seemed to calm her somewhat, but not to any great extent. She decided that she would have to spend some time getting to know the young woman outside of such a pressured situation.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean anything by it," said Claire, contrite. She understood how picky some of the Tok'ra could get if the choice of language wasn't exactly right. While she hadn't taken Elvria for one of those, maybe she had been wrong. Maybe it was something to do with the symbiote. "How close were you to receiving a Goa'uld, if you don't mind me asking?" Her voice was gentle, understanding, and genuinely curious. She was more than aware that the Goa'uld and the Tok'ra were completely different, and would never disrespect the Tok'ra by comparing the two.

Elvria had a good point. Anyone who knew about this would want more information, would want input and control, and it didn't matter whether that was the Tau'ri, the Tok'ra or any other interested third party. Claire was still surprised that Elvria had disclosed it to her, though.

Claire blew out a long, slow breath, shaking her head. "And you realise that I can't keep this to myself," she said softly. "Is that why you told me? You think that the General needs to know?" She was in an impossible situation now, and didn't have the first idea which way to turn.

Claire listened, a sombre expression on her face, as Elvria explained how the sarcophagus worked. Her mind wasn't on that at all. She was considering how the hell she could get away with not telling Hammond about the Goa'uld in captivity. She sighed again, rubbing both eyes with the heels of her hands. "So... what's your next step, Elvria? Where do you - we - go from here?"

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:02 pm 
Tok'ra

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean anything by it."

That was the second time that sentence had been said to Elvria, and it was possibly more agitating than the compassion, the pity looks that she had received. Part of her wanted to tell the woman to stop saying that, to say something else, in fact she was on the verge of doing so when Parnell pushed his way forwards. Symbiote taking over host, eyes flashing yellow, voice dropping lower to indicate it was Parnell who was now in control.

"The night that we rescued her," he started, "was the same night she was to under go the implantation." He had not wanted to divulge such information, in fact he had warned Elvria about doing such things, but his young host had wanted to trust this woman, had opened up to her. That meant that Parnell had to protect her, the agitation had bled through in waves and he had acted as he saw fit to keep his young host well.

Parnell studied Claire intently for a few minutes without saying anything, he tried to see what Elvria saw, what was it about this woman that his young host trusted so much? There were so very few Tau'ri that he himself trusted, and that had come at some high price to gain his trust. But there was very little he would not do to protect his host, if that meant warning off people, people seeing him as ruthless then that is the part he would play.

Finally he answered the final few questions, "No, the information that you have both been gathering, it is not enough to present to either Tok'ra council or Hammond, but I understand why you can not keep this to yourself." Parnell put the half empty cup down, he never understood why Elvria drank the stuff, he couldn't stop the wrinkle of the nose as he saw its lack luster contents.

"You need that final bit of information to make the research complete, I can tell you most anything about the physiology of the host and symbiote mix," he answered, if Elvria trusted this woman, this doctor then he would give his host what she wanted. Unless it got too much again, then, then he would be putting a stop to it and there would be no further questions, regardless of who was in control. "Ask your questions, I shall do my best to answer them, but one condition, no more questions about Elvria's past. She is my host, I will not let her come to harm."

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:44 am 
Beta Site CMO

Claire had a habit of dropping both feet firmly into her mouth sometimes. It was often what came with being straight talking. Still, when she did, she regretted it, and often had to beg forgiveness when she did it too often. This was starting to feel like one of those moments.

Oh yeah, definitely one of those moments.

Even if Claire hadn't seen Elvria's eyes flash as Parnell took over, she'd have known the change in voice anywhere. Shit, was she in trouble for something? Had she inadvertently offended either host or symbiote? Way to go Claire, great job there, you silly bitch.

Colour drained from Claire's face as Parnell asked the question, and she shook her head, her expression contrite. "I'm sorry," she reiterated, her voice sincere. "I shouldn't have asked, it was none of my business." It was likely something that the young woman would prefer to forget altogether, and here she was, raking it up again.

Claire sighed in frustration, bringing both hands up to her face and rubbing her lips. Her level of tiredness didn't help at all, and she was finding it hard to concentrate. "Look, I'm not a neurosurgery specialist," she admitted. "Just an emergency surgeon. I'm probably not the best person to be looking into this."

Her backtracking didn't matter, though, as Parnell appeared to - albeit grudgingly - offer her some level of trust. "I don't know what I need to be asking," she admitted. "Why don't you tell me what you're missing, and we can see whether we can fill in the gaps together?" Without seeing those scans, this was all the more difficult for her.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:12 pm 
Tok'ra

"That is what I have told Elvria countless times," replied Parnell smartly, "That it was not anyone's 'business' but she trusts too easily. Silly child." It was said with compassion that last bit, almost like a parent scolding a child, and sometimes that was how Parnell saw Elvria, he was the parent, she was so young.

He had gone through a few hosts in his time, normally they would male, it was his choice, and they were always older than what Elvria was. But at the time of his last host passing on, Elvria was the only viable candidate, it came at a time when she needed healing beyond ordinary measures and he could supply that help. It had been a rocky start for them both, after a while they had agreed on certain things and compromised on others, yet Parnell still did not understand Elvria's desire to trust so explicitly.

Parnell also was unsure as to why Elvria had decided this Doctor was the best one to share there news with. He had warned against going to Hammond, he respected the man and knew the SGC would do their best to not demand, well not as out rightly demand an audience with the captive Goa'uld. But Parnell was no fool, he knew there were higher people at play that would not let the SGC sit back and let the Tok'ra have their fill, as it were. No Parnell had listened quietly as Elvria spilled that little secret to an lesser ranking Doctor, not that he didn't like Claire, she seemed to not talk in circles. He liked that about people.

"Neurosurgery? This is your people that work on the brain?" Parnell asked, he had heard the term before, but it was a long time ago and he wanted to make sure he had gotten the term correct.

The files, that had been collected sat on the side, he turned them over once, twice, he knew the information in them. He might not have been in control when Elvria did some of her research but he always saw what she saw, would always pay attention and take in information that he thought was relevant.

"Naquadah is in the bloodstream," he said simply, as though that one sentence would sum up everything that had been missing in the whole thing. "It runs through Goa'uld blood, and Tok'ra blood, it is what makes us able to use the hand devices, the healing one and the other one." Parnell in his time had used both of them, the gold full hand device that the Goa'uld favoured that was to essentially cook a brain - that had not been an experience he wanted to repeat - and the smaller circular healing device.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next