All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:00 am 
Beta Site CMO

Claire knew that she would be entering the research curve very late in the day, and was possibly not even qualified to make an adequate contribution. However, she wouldn't know until she took a look at things.

"So... what does the Goa'uld do," she asked. "I know it ties itself in with the central nervous system and brain stem, but, surgically at least, with a careful operation, it should be possible to remove it. Does it release a toxin or something?" They'd never tried to remove a Goa'uld at the SGC before, so all they knew about the process came from the Tok'ra.

Claire smiled at Elvria's likening the shock of removing the Goa'uld to plunging into an icy shower. "If that's the case... shock can be counteracted if preventive measures are taken." She frowned slightly, thinking things through. "Problem is, even if a technique can be developed, how the hell can it be tested?"

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:51 pm 
Tok'ra

"It does not release any toxins as such, it just....how to explain," Elvria said thoughtfully, "You know I am Tok'ra that we are similar in the Goa'uld that we take human hosts. The difference being we choose ours and they take theirs. When Parnell comes forward he has control of the body, can do with it as he sees fit for that moment, the Goa'uld can I guess leave damage to the body as they are extracted?"

Elvria was hoping that she was making sense, and that she was making it as simple as possible for Claire who had just worked through the night. She did not want to slip back into explaining things in too much detail, making things more over complicated than they needed to be. Elvria had learnt that sometimes keeping it simple was the best way to be with the Tauri.

As Claire mentioned testing any progress out Elvria stopped walking, she knew exactly how any method they came up with had to be tested. Knew exactly the moment they had started down this line of research that at some point they were going to have to get to live testing and as bad as the Goa'uld were. As terrifying and dangerous as they could be and as much as Elvria (and to some extent Parnell) wanted to make them suffer, the thought of testing any kind of extraction on one.....it made her feel cold inside.

She could not imagine having Parnell taken from her, not after all these years and they lived harmoniously together, with him having control at times and not suppressing her memories. Elvria could not imagine what it would be like for a Goa'uld's host to go through that, to wake up find you'd done terrible, hideous things.

"The best way to test anything we find....is a live subject," Elvria said quietly, starting to walk again. "But I know how people feel about such things."

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:30 pm 
Beta Site CMO

Having only been at the SGC for just over a year, Claire wasn't sure how far the work to extract a Goa'uld had progressed. Also, she knew that the early work was classified military experimentation, and even her advanced clearance level didn't get her access to some of the documentation. "How do they tie in with the nervous system, exactly," asked Claire. She knew the basics, but felt certain that the Tok'ra would be able to explain in far more detail.

Whether or not her fatigued brain would be able to take it all in would be a different matter altogether.

She felt a shift in the atmosphere after she asked Elvria how they were going to test their theories, and Claire looked across at the other woman as she stopped walking. A look of curiosity slipped into place, and Claire twitched an eyebrow upwards.

"This sounds... horrible, but is there any way of implanting a mature Goa'uld into something like... I don't know, a monkey or something? Is that possible? I mean, amongst the Free Jaffa, there must be some who have a more or less mature prim'ta, right?" In a way, Claire couldn't believe she was even suggesting this sort of action, but desperate times called for desperate measures. She fell back into stop beside Elvria.

"It must be a bitch, to only be able to theorise, really."

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:25 pm 
Tok'ra

The seriousness of the conversation was completely broken, or at least it was to Elvria, when Claire mentioned implanting a Goa'uld into a monkey. She had seen pictures - she had been allowed on the internet if not outside - of monkeys and the thought of a Goa'uld inhabiting such a primitive creature was a bit amusing. She could not help but smile and laugh at that, it was not often she got to have such amusement but this time, even with how far behind they were in the reasearch and actually having something viable.

"There are Free Jaffa that are in such a position, yes," answered Elvria, "But the monkey's, they would not work, the Goa'uld would not have chosen that host so any extraction would work, they don't want to be there. The quicker they leave, the better."

Elvria could not really get the image of a Goa'uld taking a monkey as a host out of her head now, it was an image that was going to stick with her for a while now. She was sure that even Parnell was going to enjoy that image, in fact she was sure that she could feel his amusement bleeding through as well.

"As to how they tie into the nervous system, that I am not too sure of myself," she answered, making her way through the doorway of the infirmary, it was actually quiet - kind of - that morning. Which was a good thing for her, that meant the hour she had with Claire would be less interrupted with people.

Moving her way across to the information she had stored from the previous evening, it was all nice and neatly stacked away, she began shuffling through some of it. Elvria heard what Claire said next, "It must be a bitch, to only be able to theorise, really." and felt her breath catch slightly. There was that one little thing, that thing that could....no, no Elvria was not allowed to divulge that kind of information not to just anyone. Yes theorizing all this, it was difficult, it had always been difficult, but that was just the way things were especially with the Tok'ra.

Elvria glanced up, an almost nervous look to her face before ducking her head back down to concentrate on finding the latest results. "Yes of course, the theory of this it is difficult to take in, not many live subjects around."

There was a little furl of uncomfortable, of warning coming from Parnell, he had an inkling as to what had gotten her so nervous at that and was trying to stave off sharing any secrets with people that did not need to know such things.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:19 pm 
Beta Site CMO

Claire gave Elvria a tired smile. It was good to see the young woman laugh, even over something like Goa'uld monkeys. Still, sometimes, the ridiculous was exactly what was needed. She hadn't figured for the Tok'ra to have a keen sense of the ridiculous, though, and that was something more than welcome to her.

"Bugger," she muttered, as Elvria explained why monkeys wouldn't work. "So you think the damage done ties in with how much the Goa'uld wants to stay in its present host?" That didn't bode well at all, seeing as they were selfish fucks who didn't care one bit about the host whose body they were stealing.

Claire had a thought. "Do you have any scans of a Goa'uld inside a host's body," she asked, her brain ticking over. If she had an idea of what it actually looked like, maybe an existing surgical technique - even some of the experimental ones she had been working on before moving from New Zealand - could be applied to the task in hand.

Following Elvria into the infirmary, Claire jerked her head back out towards the hallway. "You do know you can use one of the med labs if you need to," she said. If there was a problem with that, Claire was certain she could sort that out with a single chat to Janet Fraiser. What Elvria was working towards was important - possibly the single most important thing that anyone could work towards within the medical field - and they ought to be helping her, not hindering.

And then things got weird.

One mention of this whole thing being theoretical, and Elvria seemed to grow nervous, and stumbled over her words. Claire shot her a quizzical gaze. "You okay," she asked, wondering whether the Tok'ra was well, or whether it was something she had said that would have caused auch a reaction.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:14 am 
Tok'ra

Elvria continued to seemingly absent-mindedly shuffle the papers in front of her, she was looking for a specific one had placed them all in the infirmary for safe keeping. She looked up at Claire, “I do have access to the labs, thank you for the concern though.” Elvria knew that sometimes people thought she was overlooked in what she did, but even with how shy she could come across – and how brash Parnell could come across – neither of them were above not asking for things.

When she had started looking into this, with the help of the people on base, it had been the first thing she had asked for. Was there a place to work that wasn't the infirmary, her work would only get in the way of the sick people and she did not want to hinder any medical procedure that would take place. Of course on very, very rare occasions she was asked if the Tok'ra had any way of helping, and Elvria was more than happy to agree to help. The more she help the Tauri the better they were towards her people.

Finding the right file, the one from when the Tauri had first started using the Stargate and one of their own had become a host, Elvria could never remember the persons name, nor pronounce it properly. It had taken a very long time in being able to get that, the Tok'ra were trusted but they were still seen - sometimes – as Goa'uld in the eyes of the higher ranking people. So she had, had to get clearance from the medical staff and from the top people to get access to this, she knew it was a unpleasant subject for the Tauri, to have lost one of their own so soon.

Holding the file with the scan in it out, Elvria said, “This is the only scans that the Tauri have that I have been able to look at.” She was sure that Claire had probably seen said scan before, but it was the only information she had.

Of course there was that one thing, back home, that would give them an up to date image, but Elvria was weary about sharing such information. She knew how much the Tauri disliked the Goa'uld, knew how much they wanted to stop them in their tracks, and sometimes do everything they could to make sure that happens. The Tauri survival instinct was strong and that often came through as fighting instinct.

Elvria crossed her arms, the theory was as sound as they were going to get it to be, she knew they had to test it somehow, she knew there was someone to test it on. Parnell she could feel was weary of trusting the information with the present company, and the Tok'ra council would possibly not be too happy either. But if they could get the theory down, the right information to take to the council, Elvria knew they would not be able to refuse what Claire had suggested.

“There is, something,” she started quietly, hoping no one was going to overhear what she was about to divulge. “Something that we have not shared with the Tauri, something that would make this easier.” She stopped talking as someone walked past, it was getting into dangerous territory speaking like she was.

Elvria moved away to a quieter corner of the infirmary, she could see if anyone was about to approach and was positive no one would over hear them now. “We have someonethat, how did you put it, we could test this on.” Elvria really hoped that Claire got her meaning on what that someone was.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:56 am 
Beta Site CMO

Claire gave Elvria a lopsided smile. "I'm glad you have what you need," she said, stifling a yawn. With that revelation, though, she wondered why Elvria seemed to be working primarily in the infirmary, where she could get easily interrupted.

Still, it wasn't her business. Taking the proffered file, Claire noted the name, not recognising it, and a frisson ran through her. She hadn't seen this before, and had no idea what it was, or who it was. She hesitated, her hand on its front cover, trying to decide whether or not to open it. It would be so easy to flick it open and have a look, but she knew that, as a military-specific file before her time, she most likely didn't have the clearance to look at it.

She sighed, handing the file back. "I don't think I'm cleared to look at this," she said with regret. "There are certain things that happened before I arrived that I'm not privy to, and I'd have remembered this." She couldn't believe that she hadn't been told that the SGC had scans and medical files on someone who had been taken as a host. Sure, it might not be directly relevant to her work as an emergency surgeon, but... hell, what if someone else had come through having been taken as a host? If she was the duty surgeon, she'd have needed to have dealt with it, clearance or not. "I think I'm going to have to have a word with the General," she muttered.

The atmosphere between she and Elvria shifted, and it seemed as though the younger woman was hesitating to tell her something. "Look, if there's something you're not allowed to tell me, don't worry about it," she said, reassuring Elvria that it wasn't a problem. She had gotten used to information being withheld due to clearance levels, or, as was more often the case, the preciousness of the military when it came to sharing information with civilians.

A cold shiver raced through her, though, as Elvria made an admission. Claire's blood ran cold. "Are you saying what I think you're saying," she said, her voice low and even, keeping any trace of emotion out of it. She didn't want to say the words, didn't want Elvria to say the words, and certainly didn't want to consider the possible ramifications of what the Tok'ra woman was insinuating.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:26 pm 
Tok'ra

“It is not a matter of not being able to tell you,” Elvria replied quietly, “It is a matter of having the right information to pass along to make it benefit everyone the Tau'ri and Tok'ra both.”

But Elvria was surprised that Claire did not have clearance to read such a file, she put it back down, it was the one reason as to why she was in the infirmary in the first place. She had been given a yes to look at said file, but only if it did not leave the infirmary, it was a stipulation that she was quite happy to adhere to. She just was unsure as to the clearance levels here, everyone was best in the fields that much Elvria knew otherwise they would not be on these levels, so she was not sure why this information had not been shared.

“I am saying that the Tok'ra are in possession of a Goa'uld,” she whispered almost as though admitting it out loud would make said prisoner disappear and make it look like she had made the whole thing up. “The host is young, and the Tok'ra council think if they can extract the Goa'uld they would save the young host from atrocities in the future.”

Elvria just did not say that the Goa'uld they had, that would have been her if the Tok'ra had not rescued her all them years ago. That maybe someone else would be standing where she is, making the difficult decision to potentially kill someone to extract a parasite. It was as though she was seeing a different path her own life could have taken and any way to help was high on her list.

“The theory needs to have no flaws to it, this is why it has not been mentioned before,” said Elvria, the Goa'uld the Tok'ra had, had been with them for little over seven months now. “The host survival rate has to be high enough for the council to even consider what you suggested.”

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:30 pm 
Beta Site CMO

Claire narrowed her eyes a fraction, not exactly sure what Elvria was trying to say. It appeared to be something that was very important, something that the Tok'ra wanted to communicate to her, but didn't know how to say it. Or even, and this was perhaps more likely, whether she should say anything at all.

Elvria appeared surprised that Claire didn't seem to have the clearance to read the file, but, as with everything at the SGC, it was one of those "need to know" things. And, as she hadn't needed to know up to that point, she hadn't been given clearance. "Maybe you ought to put in a good word for me to read it," joked Claire. The joke likely fell flat, though; when she was tired, her delivery didn't always come off so well.

And then Elvria dropped the bomb.

"You fucking what?" Claire's voice started out loud, but she dropped it to a whisper, grabbing Elvria's arm and pulling her into the deserted office. Closing the door, Claire's face was a picture of alarm. "You guys have a captive Goa'uld? What the hell were you planning on doing with it?" A thousand different things came to mind, and none of them good. As a medic, Claire was aware of - and accepted - the needs for testing, but on an effectively human subject, her views became extremely conflicted.

She ran a hand back through her hair, suddenly feeling the exhaustion from her sleepless night rolling over her in waves. "Holy shit," she muttered, slumping into her chair, and automatically reaching for the switch on the coffee pot. "I think I'm going to need something to keep me awake."

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:15 pm 
Tok'ra

The profanities actually sounded really harsh and Elvria winced slightly at the loudness of the voice, this was why she had not divulged that information earlier, she knew the ramifications of such news. When she was dragged into the side office, door slamming close with a bit of a thud and Claire fired about two questions at her, Elvria stepped away. Not one really for confrontation, she could feel Parnell stirring at the back of her mind, he was not happy with the sharing of the information but he had not stepped in to stop her, so she knew this was partially the right thing to do.

"Extract as much information as we could, before extracting the Goa'uld from the host," Elvria said, the exact answers to the questions that had just been asked. "The Goa'uld is low on the chain of System Lords, they barely register amongst the others and their presence as far as the Tok'ra are concerned has not been noticed. Of course that might have something to do with one of our own acting as said Goa'uld."

It was true, most of the symbiote voices sounded alike, well some would say the Goa'uld sounded more evil than the Tok'ra but that was more to do with the human side. The Tok'ra had more humanity to their voices, but if need be a Tok'ra could pass themselves off as a Goa'uld, she herself had done such a thing once. Or would that be Parnell had done such a thing, she had quite literally watched from the side lines, it had been intense, always having that surge of adrenalin surging through you, the slight fear of wondering when you'd be found out. It was not something she often did, there was a slim chance of the Goa'uld that had wanted her for a host would find her, she was used more towards infiltrating and acquiring information.

"The Goa'uld is nothing more than a parasite, the Tau'ri say as much themselves," Elvria said, as though trying to make the subject more palatable. "The Tok'ra have taken Goa'uld captive before, but never with the knowledge of extracting one, if what we have found out about it, maybe that theory could be put to test. At the end of the day either way, the Goa'uld is going to die."

She did not want to come across as cold or callous, but it was true, the Goa'uld they had was going to die, but if they had a chance to save the host well Elvria was willing to fight very hard to make that happen. Elvria watched as Claire flicked the coffee pot on, it was something that Elvria had never quite acquired a taste for, although the aroma was quite appealing it never tasted quite as it smelt.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next