All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hum Drum
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:58 am 
US Air Force

It was a good thing Fia had not been eating when Taft butchered her inherited language, she would have choked in laughter. Il timballo del gattopardo, and please, don't try and say it again. I'm not sure my ears could take it. It's a timbale. A ..ah.. deep dish pie, I guess. Stuffed with penne rigata, parmesan, ham, chicken... all sorts of good things. Very filling, Nana used to have me place it in and out of the oven. Kept saying she was afraid she would throw her back out. Fia smile looked wistful for just a moment, then she shook it off. Now I would love to get my hands on that buttermilk pie recipe. I stumbled across it while I was station in Pensicola. One of the unit wives made it, but she refused to share the recipe. I think I confused her, she just refused see me as anything but one of the guys from hubby's unit.

Despite the constant flow of chatter, Fia managed to finish off her meal in a timely fashion. If she had been asked if it was good, she wouldn't have been able to say. It was filling. She pushed her tray away, and sipped her sweet tea. That was something southern she could appreciate, well one more thing. When Taft mentioned the pool possibility, she practically beamed. There is? That's wonderful, thanks for letting me know. It's not like I haven't kept up PT, but everyone has their preferred exercise. That's mine. It will be so wonderful to get wet again.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:33 am 
US Marines

Taft had just opened his mouth but closed it with an audible click of his teeth. After a second he changed course. "Right, meat pie. Like an Italian version of the Shepherd's Pie, yeah? Sounds good.... I have an oven. Haven't used it but I was assured it works." He rubbed the back of his neck. "Got a pool too, don't use it either. I don't get back to the house often." He occasionally wondered why he had it but he always came back to the idea that if he -did- get hurt he could putter around there until he healed enough to come back to the SGC. Rather than being forced to lay around the medbay for however long or, gods forbid, being sent back to North Carolina.

"So... you're close with your family I take it. That's good, it is." He reassured, in the hopes that his question didn't sound resistant. He was just idly curious.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:00 am 
US Air Force

Well yes and no. I love them all, but they are exhausting. After Nana passed, I had less and less reasons to go home. I got used to being on my own. Now I see the lot of them once or twice a year, and after about four days I want to run screaming for the woods and some peace. I seemed to have skipped the boisterous gene that runs rampant through most Italian families. She turned in her chair, placing her elbow on the table and leaning her head on it. Her mind turned back to a slightly earlier conversation, and a curious smile bloomed on her face. Just how long have you been in Colorado?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:07 am 
US Marines

"Mama is kinda easy to get along with, except in her mind I only age on days where she sees me. So I'm still 18 and 3/4 in her house. Daddy decided I was 30 when I turned 16, but once I got used to it that was better than the opposite. Grandparents have been gone for a long time. Mama's parents passed away when she was in her 20's and Pawpaw never cared for any of Daddy's kids... but I'm just rambling." He shrugged, his food done and his sweet tea in hand. He was shooting the breeze just like they were on somebody's front porch of an evening.

"They shipped me here a little over 18 months ago, took the local unit a couple of days to unpack me and put me on display, but I've been scaring the tour takers ever since. Made a 1st Lieutenant feel useless earlier today, too. But that's why they pay me the big bucks, ma'am. So the Lieutenants don't forget where they stand." And captains, but again, she didn't need to hear that from him.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:38 am 
US Air Force

So that poor oven has been languishing for a year and a half? That's a tragedy. Tell you what, let me borrow that pool sometime, and I will bake you a lasagna. The words tumbled out of her mouth before she realized what she was saying. What she was REALLY saying. As the true meaning filtered into her mind, a slow grin crept across her face. She didn't want to wait weeks to spend time with him, especially not time that could be interrupted at any moment but gungho marines intent on capturing them. She had no doubt she would enjoy that time too, but right now she wanted all his attention.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:09 am 
US Marines

"Living in my house rent free, more like. But the same could be said for the swimming pool or pretty much any other item on the property. I don't get down there much." Hell, the only reason he wasn't living on base was because NORAD didn't have on base housing. Which made sense for a super secure facility on a wide variety of fronts. He watched her for a second before deciding he'd better clarify. "As in make me dinner or as in you'll leave it in the fridge for the next time I swing by the joint?" Of course, he figured she meant make him dinner but he wanted to be certain before he went making assumptions only to find himself eating alone and feeling like a stump.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:08 pm 
US Air Force

Well, I could leave it in the fridge, but from the sounds of things it would turn before you got to it. Fia chuckled. It was refreshing to see a guy NOT make assumptions, even if said assumption would have been correct. If she stuck with Nana's recipe, it would take a little over 2 hours to cook, and need to sit for another 30 minutes. That would be plenty of time for a swim and friendly chat. One part of Fia's mind was already making a shopping list, and wondering if there was a good Italian bakery where she could pick up dessert. And I would feel a little odd bopping around in someone else's kitchen when they weren't home. So maybe it would be best if you were there.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:28 pm 
US Marines

Taft rubbed the back of his neck, an aw shucks moment straight out of the countryside of North Carolina. Though the part of North Carolina that he'd come from wasn't countryside anymore. "You're probably right, other than taking care of my plant and checking in on the place... and occasionally sleeping without this place buzzing in my bones." Which he usually only did on his three day releases. At least she was taking his question in good humor. Some ladies hated it when a guy didn't play the game as well as she thought he should. "Yeah, maybe it would be best. Don't want you to get halfway through the process and not be able to find something you need."

He watched her for a second while sipping his tea. "What would you need, by the way?"

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:08 pm 
US Air Force

Fia waved off his question. Let me worry about that. It will give me a chance to find out where the good specialty shops are. Besides, you have no idea how much I am looking forward to a swim. She would have to get to the storage unit and get Nana's cook book, and maybe that sundress she picked up in Panama City. Her suit of course, did not get packed away. That was in her temporary quarters, looking forlorn.

You off duty sunday? If she went to early service, she would have plenty of time to get the groceries. Provided this 'oasis' of his wasn't too far out in the boonies. She really hoped Sunday would work. It was her first off duty day, and she couldn't think of a better way to spend it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:32 pm 
US Marines

"Well, a swim you can have. Whoever I bought the place from was apparently into paddling around themselves." He shrugged. "Specialty? You need to go to a specialty place to find La... I mean, pasta casserole stuff?" Taft scratched his chin for a second as he considered it. Maybe her version had weird stuff in it, like buffalo meat instead of ground beef and tomato basil pasta instead of regular lasagna pasta. He wasn't the type to complain about such things.

"I can be, I'm the one who makes the roster. Lieutenant Crabapple doesn't like paperwork. That when you want to set it for?" He pulled out his pocket notebook and pen in preparation for entering it on his calendar 'app'. He could take the day off, get the dusted and vacuumed. Maybe throw a polish on the dishes in the cupboard.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next