All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hum Drum
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:24 am 
US Air Force

Unlike Taft, when Fia grinned it was practically full facial experience. Lips parted wide and cheeks blossomed causing creases in the corners of sparkling eyes, and delight beamed out like a light. Poor Taft got the brunt of it. I knew you were the guy to ask! She hunted through the pile next to her, deftly avoiding spilling it all over the floor by seconds. Flipping open the steno pad, she then pulled an unseen pen out of the mass of curls at the back of her head. Who knew what else was hidden back there.

The intensity will of course depend on the skill level of the participants. While I would like to get the civilians involved, I think it would have to be on a voluntary basis. And if they do volunteer then the course won't be such a refresher. The more she spoke, the more her italian heritage begun to show. Her hands fluttered here and there, and she used the pan as a more of a pointer than a writing utensil as she outlined her plan. I think perhaps classroom for the volunteers, then put them out in the field with military for a practical. If we cover the survival and evasion aspects first, we can do a four day practical, the first two focusing on no gear survival, and the second two on evasion. I assume I can count on you to help me hunt them down?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:18 am 
US Marines

"I'm an enthusiast." That was to say, he loved his job. All Sergeants Major did. Otherwise they never became Sergeants Major, you couldn't fake your way to the top of that particular food chain. Taft was all amused professionalism right up until she made a pen appear out of her head. That had him sitting up and leaning a bit to the side, craning his neck to try to 'look around the corner' at the back of her head. He said nothing, of course, he'd been an adult male long enough to know that there were mystical extra-dimensional pockets floating around all adult females and that it was just best if he didn't think about it too much.

Taft immediately began to scribble his flow of thought on the legal pad, even as he rejoined with her comments. "We may want to consider holding different intensities for the different skill levels. Anyone coming out of Special Operations Command is way too far ahead of the curve to be sitting around watching the cave painting interpreter from Oxford be amazed by the ability to start a fire in a rain forest. We can put them together for practicals, teach the soldiers to watch out for their far less capable charges, but lets save that for after the fact. It can be an exercise in leadership and teamwork." He kept scratching his thoughts so that he could return to them later when they started putting stuff together in the shape of a formal lesson plan or plans.

"It would be my eternal pleasure to hunt down each and every one of them with you. I haven't made Operators wet themselves in literally... hours." Said as if that was the real tragedy on the table.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:34 pm 
US Air Force

Fia chuckled at the idea of running wolfpack with Taft, she was going to enjoy that. While she was phenomenal at evasion, her tracking skills were only slightly amazing. She would probably learn a thing or two watching him. It would be really fun to task some poor soldier with tracking her while evading Taft. Any soldier that could do that would certainly have her approval. She filed that thought away for a future training.

So class for the civilians and any soldier without Special Op training, maybe a shortened practical with them. Then refresher for the more advanced, and a 4 day practical with all, teaming a soldier with a civilian. We will have to do this in fairly small groups if we want to give them equal chances of pissing their pants. Fia glanced up from her note, a wicked gleam in her eye. While she obviously was anticipating the exercise, it was the end challenge she was really looking forward too. So keep the class down to three maybe four each?We may have to run it more often depending on how many civilians we get interested.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:24 pm 
US Marines

"Either shorten, or give them a milder but longer run. And we can run the training in cycles, work the non-SpecOps and civies up in levels as they progress with a few weeks or maybe months in between instances. Education for the newbs, review for the old-heads. We'll also want to run our program through a test cycle or two before we put any of the troops through it. I don't want accidents costing us people or scrubbing a valuable training exercise." He kept scratching, he had a short list of locations and climates in mind. They'd have to requisition transport for those. Maybe a scrap plane or three to simulate actual behind the lines exercises. "I can bring marines to simulate enemy search teams, give them credit for search and seizure training."

He scratched three numbers up at the top of the page, 3 4 and 6. "Small groups is ideal, but I think two is ideal for any real testing. Four is an actual SG team, six is a full fire team around here. That's why there are so many of us SOCOM types floating around here. We know how to operate in small units, obviously." He scratched out a few other things. "Where would you want to run a test cycle?"

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:53 pm 
US Air Force

We should probably start out localish, until we get the kinks ironed out. In the long run I would love to take the training off world where you can't rely on things you learned as a scout. Fia just assumed he had been a boy scout, just as she had been a girl scout. It seemed to be the first step for a lot of those who ended up career military. Though she really couldn't imagine what a little Davey Taft would have looked like, she had no doubt he would have been a handful. You know the area better than I. Do they have any decent wilderness training area in Fort Carson, or allow training in Pike national park?

Last edited by Fia Serigliano on Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:37 pm 
US Marines

"Local would get quick approval, but if this is successful for a couple of cycles we might want to really look into off-world locations as well. But until then... I can get us access to Camp Hale at Fort Carson. They used to hold Cold Weather War Games up there, just in case we had to crack Russia. Red Devils, er... the 5th Infantry Division will enjoy trying to hunt folks down for us. It's decommissioned, has some ruins, it'll be perfect for a first run at our test subjects." He scratched that onto his pad as well.

"I never was a scout, though. I grew up on small farms, running with other country boys, with a father who'd been military before me. Same thing, aside from the scarves." Taft shrugged. "You have a short list of simulated salvage? I think we could probably come up with a couple of kit options and either cycle through them or randomize them for each cycle. All fun and games until somebody has nothing but a field knife and an extra set of socks."

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:13 pm 
US Air Force

A field knife and an extra pair of socks sounds like a great weekend to me. Fia chuckled. Heaven knows, she had survived on even less than that before. but I wouldn't expect anyone to have the same sense of fun I do. I've been told it is ... different. The only thing that would improve said weekend would be if there was a body of water involved.

Turning to the next page in her steno, Fia started jotting down salvage ideas. She honestly hadn't expected to get this far in the planning, but talking to Taft was scarily like talking to herself. Their minds seemed to flow along the same lines. She hadn't felt this easy comradary since... well since Tito passed. Although the other effect Taft seemed to have on her was anything but uncle-like. With a slight shake of her head, Fia mentally stomped that train of thought down. Now was not the time. I've a few ideas that will make things interesting. You have any recommendations for guinea pigs, or are we going to take on that role ourselves at first?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:06 pm 
US Marines

"Definitely been days where that was all I could have asked for to have been happy. Young guys, they never appreciate the value of clean socks." He chuckled in return. "Gotta be different to do your job, or mine. Marine Raiders are... enthusiasts."

"If we can really get ahead of the game, we can come up with all sorts of things we can offer them as salvaged gear. For some advanced classes we could look into pulling Goa'uld equipment for scavenging lessons. But for now I think you and I test ourselves, see what we could use some brushing up on, and then use that as a template for a lesson plan. We're hardened and experienced, it will be a good starting filter. Then we pick another pack, of kids, and run them as a second proof of concept." He had a certain Australian 1st Lieutenant equivalent in mind for that second proof of concept run.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:11 pm 
US Air Force

So You, Me, No gear, no seeded salvage, and a pack of marines on our heels. Sounds delightful. Again the face-consuming grin appeared, she truly meant that. Fia flipped back and forth though her notes, correcting things here and there. Between corrections, she unthinkingly chewed on the end of her pen. The markings on it bore witness to this being a repeated offense, and she showed no signs of stopping. After several minutes she slapped the steno shut with a satisfied smile. I think that cover most everything. Can I leave the initial arrangements to you while I draft up the overall proposal for the brass?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:20 pm 
US Marines

"I've had worse first dates, ma'am." He finished up his own notes, they'd be rewritten in legible form before he was all done but it had been a matter of just getting it on paper first. He nodded absently at her question at first. He'd have to make the calls down to the base in Pueblo, talk to a series of people until he found the right combination to make things happen. Submit the request, flag those people, wait for them to process it, and then inform Fia that it was all taken care of. "Yeah, that sounds like a plan. I'll call down to the Fort, get all the green lights on the Camp and people. Let them process what they need on their end, and then get back to you on a window of opportunity. I'll get some stickers and suckers to hand out to the 5th Infantry boys, help them feel better after they've failed."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next