All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hum Drum
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:51 pm 
US Air Force

As Taft rattled off a list of thing he could possibly do, Fia was struck by a thought. He doesn't expect to reach retirement any more than I do. Unconsciously her hand came up and fiddled with her dog tags, and the soda tab hanging on them. It wasn't that she was courting death, far from it. Losing Tito as violently as she did made her well aware of the toll this job could take. It was a fact she accepted and in doing so really hadn't thought all that much about after the service. So keeping your options open I see. She chuckled. I haven't thought about it beyond a boat anchored somewhere I can dive into whenever the mood takes me.

The elevator bounced to a stop. As the doors slid open, she glanced up at him out of the corner of her eye, smiled, and walked out. She wasn't even aware she just performed the universal 'come hither'.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:37 am 
US Marines

He was watching her, so the movement of her hand wasn't missed even if the meaning was lost on him. He also knew a security pat when he saw one, even if he didn't know what about that location soothed her. Taft figured it could be her tags but that was unlikely. Regardless, he wasn't in a position to go asking. Not so early in their acquaintance. "I've got too many things to do in the here and now to go worrying about what's over the horizon." Or the never, Taft was a realist, but he also played to win so he didn't tend to dwell on the likelihood of death either. "Boat sounds nice, maybe I'll do that instead. Or fold it into the whole charter fishing thing, kill two birds with one stone."

One eyebrow quirked at the look and Taft thought to himself "Who am I to disappoint a lady?" He followed her off the elevator and followed along, easily keeping the books in his arms in place. He wasn't bulky. Taft didn't get bulky, he just got denser and tougher with age. He was fairly certain there'd come a day where if he fell off a boat he'd have to walk to shore along the bottom. "You figuring on a particular point in time when that boat will be more attractive than the service?"

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:48 pm 
US Air Force

The day after never? She quipped I tried it once, after particularly rough mission. I rented a houseboat out on Lake Mead in Nevada. Beautiful area with all these little pocket coves you could explore. I booked it for a month, but after 8 days I gave up. I'm just not meant to relax I think. Or maybe it was the lack of company. Adding to herself, Just might have to try again someday...

Coming up to the mess hall door, she pushed it open with her free hand, running along the painted wood as she entered. There were a few people, but she and Taft had obviously gotten there between the morning and lunch rushes. Seeing the table where they had met was open, Fia made a beeline for it and dropped the mission folders. When Taft caught up, she took the heavier books and placed the on top. So food, or shall I just go grab the drinks?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:57 am 
US Marines

"I know that feeling," he responded easily. Taft even got the inability to put a finger on why the lack of direction bothered her, he'd experienced the same thing on most of his 'vacations' over the years. He wasn't really much into fishing, he could do it of course but he'd just never found it a fascinating way to pass the time. He spent most of his free time building things, reloading spent rounds, maintaining his gun collection, watching documentaries on historical warfare or warriors, and working on whatever mechanical item required attention at the time. "I could imagine it being the lack of company. Or even the lack of a specific kind of company. I've got family, my sister, but we could have a three hour conversation and I'd still feel like I'd been in the room alone. She's just too much of a civilian."

Taft looked at her and knew the sudden mention of food was because she, just like him, had the experience that said 'eat when you can'. "Food. No point in missing an opportunity. Especially when we pretty much have the place to ourselves..." Taft looked up as the lights flickered, and kept staring for a couple of more seconds even after the issue cleared itself up. He blinked a couple of times before speaking again. "Does the light look a little different to you?" Taft passed his hand in front of his face two or three times to make sure he was focusing correctly.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:01 am 
US Air Force

There was one thing the didn't have in common. While Fia had no siblings she had more aunts, uncles, cousins and second cousins than any one person should. A large portions of them still all lived in the same Boston neighborhood. They thought nothing of stopping by unannounced and Nana never locked her door. She never really understood 'alone' until she went to college, and then she reveled in it. She loved her family very much, but they were loud. They talked loud, they laughed loud, some even dressed loud. When they got together it was a circus, crazy clown cars and all.

The lights flickered, and Fia couldn't help thinking about just how dark it would be if they lost power and back-ups. They were inside a mountain, for pete's sake. Thankfully that didn't come to pass. She tried not to giggle at Taft checking his vision, but he had a point. Her olive drabs seemed a little more olive grey than usual. It certainly does. I wonder what the eggheads are up to now?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:48 pm 
US Marines

"Eggheads... huh. Good point. Must be another social experiment. Next they'll be handing out sugar cubes with tiny dots of clear liquid on them." He tugged his BDUs straight and looked toward the kitchen. "I'll get the food then, why don't you grab the drinks?" The Sgt Major made the suggestion innocently enough, more than willing to forget about the dumb lights. He wasn't a facilities person -or- a scientist. They'd deal with it until something needed to be shot. Taft went off to get the food and came back with two trays, each carrying some pretty sharp looking food. Snuck right out of the officer's mess by one of his lunch lady friends.

He set the trays down, and sat at the table. Carefully so that they would be sitting side by side when she caught up.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:07 am 
US Air Force

It didn't take long to get two tall glasses of sweet tea. Taft seemed to have been fast tracked through the lunch line, as he was already back at the table with two trays by the time she turned around. The placement of the trays didn't get by her, in fact she thought it was rather sweet. I bet 'sweet' is not a word anyone but me would use to describe him. The realization that she was already seeing a side of him others did not brought a smile to her face.

Sweet tea, as promised. I couldn't remember if you liked ice or not. She said, as she slid into the chair beside him. She held two glass up for him to choose. So I grabbed one of each.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:48 am 
US Marines

"Good thinking but I'm not inclined to be picky, ma'am. As long as the sugar was put in it while it was still hot, and stirred, I'm good to go." He'd once made a cook cry on a base in Iraq for bringing him unsweet tea and a packet of sugar, but again she didn't need to know that particular anecdote. Taft took the one without, just so she could have the cold drink -and- because it didn't make any difference to him. He took a sip, it was passable, and then set the glass down next to his tray. "I hope you're still able to eat identifiable food, even as an officer I know you were eating what the rest of us were eating with that specialty of yours."

He cut the fairly nice looking porkchop on his plate and nodded to himself. Cooked all the way through, which was the way he liked his porkchops. Not everybody agreed but pork products didn't taste right to him anywhere in the rare range.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:20 am 
US Air Force

I could have sworn pork chops were on the menu board for the officer's mess this morning. I must have misread. She teased as she dug in as well. She wasn't sure how he managed to get special treatment. Then again she wasn't sure how she managed to get his brand of special treatment, but she wasn't going to complain.

And while yes, I've probably had more field rations than most captains, I make up for it during down time. Italians equate good food with home, and Serigliano girls know how to cook before they get their first training bra. I make a killer il timballo del gattopardo. Or rather would, if I had a kitchen. I suppose I should look into housing, but frankly that takes second place behind finding a decent pool. Swimming to her was like meditation to other people. The rhythm of the strokes, the flow of the water over her, all had a centering effect on her. She was going on day 8 without a single dip, and it was seriously damaging her calm, as her younger cousins would say.

Last edited by Fia Serigliano on Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:25 am 
US Marines

"They are. Fortunately, you're an officer." Not how he'd acquired it but that would make a fair excuse if it came up. If nobody else was smart enough to make friends with the people who handled all the food then they deserved to get only what was offered. But this showed that he was a good provider, caveman style.

"Mama makes a pretty fine chicken fried steak, and she has grandma's recipe for buttermilk pie. That stuff could start and end wars. If it weren't for hard work me and Daddy'd be fatter than spring hog cause there isn't really anything she makes that won't make you drool like Pavlav's hounds." He chewed a bite as he watched her before finally giving up and asking the question. "What's an ill tim-ball-o del gatto made out of?" He was fairly certain gatto meant cat, but Italian wasn't one of his languages. His Southern accent ruined it, just like French.

"Oh, there's a place... what's it called..." He rubbed his chin for a second, eyes closed, before venturing his memory's name. "The country club of Colorado. Seems too direct, but I think that's the name. Has an Olympic sized pool, I've heard the General mention it for the golf course he and the Colonels use."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next