All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:18 pm 
Atlantis Expedition Leader

Wed 1st Oco - 6.30am

The alarm split the silence and Elizabeth rolled over and pressed the silence button. She’d been staring at the ceiling for 10 minutes or so, waiting for the alarm to go off. She hadn’t been thinking of much, recalling a detail or two that she could add to the notes for a trade negotiation she had been asked to consult on, trying not to think about Simon.

She was due on the Cheyenne Complex at 8.30am, her schedule was looking like a lot of meetings, food, more meetings and then Chinese take-out at the dining table whilst she poured over notes from the aforementioned meetings, before surrendering to whatever the TV had on offer tonight, before doing it all over again. Perhaps she’d call her mother, although that was likely to involve some sort of preparation for yet another lecture about why she wasn’t married, when she was going to stop working so much.

Smiling as she played that conversation out in her head, Elizabeth got up and readied herself for the day ahead. Shower, dress, and then downstairs for breakfast; cooked by the woman who ran the guesthouse that Elizabeth was currently calling home.

It wasn’t much, but she hadn’t seen the point of getting an apartment in town whilst she was here. It seemed more hassle then it was worth, most of what she had was in storage or easily transported in a few suitcases, and until she was certain that where she was settling as going to be for longer than 6 months, she wasn’t going to fuss about with anything more than the cosy room she was renting by the month.

7.45am and she was out on the road, her beige buick crawling up towards the base with a few encouraging pats on the dash, it hadn’t wanted to start this morning. The chill in the air apparently enough to give her poor motor second thoughts about a 20 minute drive up from the small town just outside of the mountain range that housed the S.G.C.

It made it though, and by 8.15 she was walking down institutionalised cream halls, and nodding hellos to people who made eye contact. The first meeting was something to do with issues with a small group of people who had access to a plant that could produce a drug similar to insulin, although they were reluctant to accept a trade thus far. There was another meeting a little later, she was more eager to get to, one about a certain adventure she was due to be leading whenever the paperwork was completed.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:18 am 

~The morning came very early for Damien; it was great day to get in a good work out before the gym got too crowded. He was a man who enjoyed keeping himself rather fit. Sure he looked a little bulky, though he made sure to keep himself athletic as well. This is why after he did his sets at the bench; he’d get a good run in at the treadmill. He took a good hour in the gym nonetheless before finally he hit the showers. Thank god he wasn’t part of the reaction teams this morning when the gate had that unscheduled operation.

It would have been odd to be half naked and getting into position with just underwear and armor on. God he would have been one sorely dressed man with the time he’d need to gear up. Thus, he got to finish that shower easily enough before his uniform was donned and placed upon his form as neatly as possible. Hell a Marine was never supposed to look messy especially when not out in the field. The Staff Sergeant had the time to look in the mirror before he strapped himself with his sidearm holster to his leg and made sure he held a few extra clips in his holders.

After all, the base’s operations seemed a bit uneasy today, a slight heightened alert perhaps, but not too much always made Damien a bit eager for some action. Once he was setup he’d take to the halls and made sure his morning duties were fulfilled. Taft after all always liked his Marines to keep a tight grip on their work. Sadly this meant paperwork for the Staff NCO, one of the not so great perks for being in this position. Damien wasn’t a man for the ranks that needed to keep documents up to date. Sure he did it like any other man would, but he was always a man who wanted the action more so.

With a grunt Damien made his own rounds throughout the halls of the complex for his own piece of mind before someone caught his eye. This was just a typical Damien eye catch but something he remembered a report. After all, he recently learned he’d be participating in the Atlantis program and he just thought he saw his soon enough new CO of the operations. Ok, sure she was a civilian, though Damien wanted to meet who he’d be taking orders from soon enough. Well, one of the people at least.

A swift turn in his step and he fell in line next to her with a smile and nod. “Heh, forgive me ma’am, but Doctor Weir I hope?” he asked just to be sure he had the right woman. “The names Staff Sergeant Baird…Damien if I may.” He stated as he extended his hand while keeping in step with her. “Hoped to get familiar with the faces I may be working a lot more with in the future after all ma’am.” He added on, speaking a slight bit freely but kept his manners intact.~

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:56 pm 

Mulling arguements, reasonings and rationales over in her head, Elizabeth was lost in thought when a shadow crossed her vision and glancing up she noticed the figure that had fallen into step alongside her own pace.

"Yes" She looked him over, keeping her face neutral but with a polite smile perched upon her lips, she was still getting used to new faces. Whilst she has interviewed a few of the members that would be under her command when they departed for Atlantis, there were still a few that she knew as no more than files, or names on department rosters. Each of the depts that would be coming on the expedition had a head, and they had then shortlisted their own candidates.

Taking the offered hand, Elizabeth shook it, allowing her smile to breathe a little more warmth into her expression, not wanting to come off as rude, especially considering the likelyhood that the upcoming trip was one way. It wouldnt do to make enemies with those you were going to be stuck with for a while.

"Staff Sergeant Baird, lovely to meet you. That sounds like a long task, I've been hoping to do something similar myself, quite a few faces to learn" She carried on walking down the corridoor searching her memory, certain that his was at least one of the files she had perused over in the last few weeks.

"Time to test who I have learnt so far, and correct me if I am wrong, you've been working with Dr Jackson on some of the ancient artifacts haven't you?"

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:37 am 
US Marines

"Sergeant, stop harassing the civies and get back to your duties. Here, you can have a few of mine since yours don't seem to be keeping you busy." Taft had practically materialized out of a room along the hallway, speaking without even looking up as if he'd known all along who would be coming up the hallway when he stepped out. He handed the Staff Sergeant a file folder with a list of names in it, names that belonged to men and women of the working classes who needed to be dragged in for medical examination. That would keep the Staff Sergeant busy for most of the day in between the rest of whatever he'd had on his plate. The non-coms hated going to the doctor, especially if there was something actually wrong that they would then have to report to their respective Sergeants.

Taft, himself, fell into the space the Staff Sergeant was forced to vacate beside Weir. "Good morning Dr. Weir. A couple of my boys on the inner gates inform me your Buick is coughing up proverbial blood. Would you like it to have a visit to the motor pool for a check up?" He had already flipped open another folder, checking its contents for certainty before he decided exactly which direction he really needed to go.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:21 am 

If she was a woman of lesser nerves, Elizabeth was sure that she would have shrieked and shot a mile in the air as a loud voice interrupted the conversation, the owner of it appearing as if from nowhere. Instead she started a moment, trying to look non plussed as she gripped her papers a little closer to prevent them tumbling free.

“It was nice to meet to you” Smiling, Elizabeth watched as the Staff Sergeant was given his marching orders and tried not to look put out at the interruption to what she was sure would have been a pleasant and informative reprieve from her mental musings.

The authoritative figure that had dismissed her potential charge had fallen into his place, and Elizabeth smiled politely as he started to talk, the old proverb of being as quick to hop into a grave, flitting through her thoughts at the transition of walking partners.

“Oh I’m sure that’s not necessary …”
Her eyes scanned the fatigues for the patch that bore a name and rank, “Sergeant Major Taft – You know I don’t think we’ve had the pleasure” Smiling, Elizabeth jostled her papers into one hand and offered the other forward.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:50 pm 
US Marines

The Sgt Major continued flipping through his files as she assured him her car was going to make it. "I'll let them know to expect your call then, when you change your mind." The civilians never turned down the free service and the boys loved to have the practice. Or maybe they just liked getting away from the same old same old, either way.

With military precision he closed his folders and tucked them under an arm against his side, freeing up his right hand to shake hers. "No, Dr. Weir, we have not. David Taft, United States Marine Corp." He shook her hand firmly and then let it go. "You're taking a few of my boys off into the great unknown, I'm told. Or rather, I've had it implied to me since I'm not in the details loop for whatever that mission is."

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:43 pm 

Elizabeth felt her smile falter for a moment as the Sgt Mjr seemed to disregard her input, but maintained the polite and pleasant façade as he finally pulled his head out of his folders.

Time’s gone by and she would have said something, called him out on his rudeness, but sad fact was that since coming to Cheyenne, and even in the years before hand, she had come to accept that upon entering any sort of position of power, or military input, all social niceties are drilled out of a person and replaced with a stick in the butt.

That was why she made it her own personal mission to keep herself atop the pleasantries and try and make her own work environment a little more bearable.
Taft’s handshake was as quick and to the point as his insertion into a conversation and his segue was as equally seamless. Elizabeth couldn’t fault him for it though, he’d evidently worked hard to be where he was, he bore visible signs of just how gruelling that lifestyle had been and it wasn’t her place to mentally berate him for being what ‘Uncle Sam’ made him.

“Well I’m not at liberty to discuss specifics, but yes, I will be leading a small expedition and some of your men and women, may well be accompanying me” A skilled hand when it came to negotiating, Elizabeth sensed a hint of dissatisfaction with the arrangement. Even old hands like Taft, who was probably used to the whole ‘You’ll be told all you need to be told’ spiel, possibly grew weary of it, especially if people they looked out for were involved.

“In fact, I have a whole pile of personnel files to review, a way to get to know those few better, and I would appreciate any insight you could give me in regards to the military contingent that’s been selected?”
Tacking a warm smile onto the end of her request, Elizabeth turned her attentions back to the beige surroundings of the corridor they were travelling, trying to remember if it was left then right up ahead, or the other way round.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:41 am 
US Marines

She wasn't at liberty to discuss specifics... "We never are." Something about that always struck him as Intelligence Spooks shooting their operations in the foot. For instance, within the confines of the facility they were both employed by, her project dependent on the same device that he used regularly to do just about the same thing, was there really any purpose to her not being able to tell him what was going on? Especially when she then followed up with asking him for his advice on who to take. If he didn't know what she was doing he wasn't going to be able to give her anything tailored to her needs to accomplish it.

"I'd be happy to assist, doctor, but it would be generalized personal opinion without knowing what it is you are hoping to accomplish. Might fish out a few people who shouldn't be working together though, so it wouldn't be completely useless either." He could tell her who was not going to shake in a fight, he could tell her was going to cause problems if they had any downtime in which to grow bored, and he could tell her who was sleeping with whom (usually he was fairly up to date with that info too). "If the children they like to sign on in Intelligence would butt out I could help you fine tune your list for almost anything you could want."

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:12 am 

The words felt like a lie as they left her lips, so much of her hated the overly contrived line that was spoon fed to any and all who it was deemed necessary to keep in the dark. Elizabeth understood that in some cases it was for the best, but in this situation she wasn’t really unveiling national secrets to the Sergeant Major, about other worlds and the Stargate programme. It felt like a paltry compensation to ask him to consult on her staff list.

His response seemed to echo that he felt just as fobbed off as she worried he might be. Elizabeth had the feeling he was one of those men who bed red, white and blue, and was coloured fatigue on the inside, so being told ‘I’m not allowed to tell’ by some civilian was pissy.
Still, Elizabeth had faced tougher situations and was not going to let a small barrier like the lack of intelligence squad, from causing her to lose some valuable insight.

“Any help is appreciated, I’ve so many names to go through and it’s hard to know someone from a dossier”

Glancing down at her files, Elizabeth tried to keep her smile polite, but couldn’t help it growing a little larger as Taft seemed to echo her mental musings about the MI spoon feeding her lines.
Pausing as they came to the end of yet another industrially painted corridor, Elizabeth realised they’d walked further than she thought and were only a handful of turns from her boardroom of a prison.

Clearing her throat, she pondered her options; “Well I am in meetings all day today, but I would really like to get our heads together on this – I’m sure you have a full schedule too, when would be best?”

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:17 pm 
US Marines

"I'll give any help I can, ma'am." He said it and he meant it, Taft didn't offer things he didn't want to do. It was kind of his thing... and why he had ex-wives. Well, amidst a myriad of other reasons not least of which was the Marine Corps. "We'll solve some future personnel problems before they can even get started, I'm sure."

Taft rolled his neck, it was his version of tapping his chin in thought, and came up with some option. "I don't have other matters distracting me after duty, so either in the evening at your convenience or we can schedule an official on duty sit down for your earliest opening. I make my schedule so that's not an issue from my end." Nobody ever wanted a meeting with the Sgt Major. The people over him could summon him at will and those under him either didn't warrant a face to face, dreaded it, or weren't doing their jobs if they needed it. He tended to make busy work for himself when not dealing with his daily reports.