All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:01 pm 
Beta Site CMO

1st October 2014, 05:40

Being the on-call surgeon on a night shift wasn't too bad, not really, and Claire had managed to get a little shut-eye in the on-call room, enough to tide her over so that she wouldn't be totally incoherent when handing over to the day shift when they started dribbling in before eight.

It had been a remarkably quiet night, in fact, with the duty physician being Jake Patterson. She liked working with Jake. He was easy to talk to, and had just as warped a sense of humour as her own, which meant that a dull, quiet night shift which was comprised of little other than checking on those people who were already in the infirmary had at least been broken up by some intelligent and amusing conversation.

Now, though, Claire had to make sure that all the paperwork was done and ready for the handover, and that meant getting her head down and concentrating, rather than winding down slowly. She left her office door open, though, just in case she was needed for anything. In truth, she would welcome the distraction. If she'd known how much paperwork was involved in being a surgeon, she might never have considered it as a profession.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:20 pm 
US Air Force

Sleeping at the base happened quite often, when he slept at all. Caiden has an off-base apartment the Air Force and he pays for but you never know when they'll need a trauma surgeon at the SGC, it happened quite often actually. Caiden wasn't the on-call surgeon but even then technically always on call, since he is an Air Force Officer.

Caiden could barely sleep with that damn alarm going off as it usually does. Caiden heard the damn alarm and decided to throw his scrubs on and take a trip by the infirmary to check on things when he sees Dr. Te Atua.

"Hey Doctor, quiet night?" Caiden said while standing in the doorway of her office watching the Doctor doing paperwork, as usual, they do a lot of it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:54 pm 
Beta Site CMO

Claire glanced up from her paperwork, flipping the folder closed on the chart she had been updating. She hadn't expected to see any of the early shift in yet, and had more or less banked on a quiet hour or two to make sure that she was up to date before catching a few hours of sleep and then starting her own shift at two. At least she wasn't on call again that night.

Small blessings.

"Quiet enough," shrugged Claire. "You're in early. Something up?" In the absence of Dr Fraiser, Claire was the senior member of infirmary staff, and was responsible for the civilian medical staff at all times. She wasn't particularly comfortable in the times that she was responsible for the military staff as well, but she had little choice. "Please tell me you're not coming in to start shift without having had breakfast?" There were several teams due to return during Caiden's shift, and the last thing she wanted was for him to keel over and be as much use as a wet fart.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:30 pm 
US Air Force

Jake was walking back from the Mess Hall with two giant cups of coffee, one for himself and one for Claire, when he heard voices coming from the office suite. He stuck his head into the suite looking towards Claire's office, and announcing his presence. "Knock knock. Dr. Te Atua, I come bearing gifts for the weary."

Jake had learned in residency that one strategy to get through the most exhausting times was to try and act as energetic as possible. After a while, it always seemed to make him feel less tired. The constant coffee drip didn't hurt either. Although, an IV directly into his system would be a significantly more efficient system than drinking as much coffee as he did.

As he approached Claire's office, he could see Caiden was already here and scrubbed out. It wasn't time for the next shift already, was it?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:57 pm 
US Air Force

Caiden smiles as usual even in a bad mood he smiles. "Quiet is always good. I heard the alarm for the stargate and it woke me up, I was just making sure you didn't me before going to eat." Caiden says as he remains standing in the doorway.

"Morning Captain." Caiden says to Captain or Dr. Patterson either way its the same person and both are correct. Caiden barely got any sleep but its kind of hard to go back to sleep after the sound of the alarm that goes off when the gate is activated from off-world, especially when its unscheduled.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:22 am 
Beta Site CMO

"The alarm for the gate," repeated Claire, her eyebrows twitching upwards. "How the bloody hell did you hear that?? Christ, it's more than ten floors below your quarters!" Either he had Superman's hearing, or he had been kipping somewhere he likely shouldn't have done. She'd bet on the latter.

However, a familiar thought bit back on the rebuke that had been merrily trotting forth, and Claire grinned at Jake as he brandished one of the largest coffees she had ever seen. "Fucking hell, e hoa*, is that a bucket or a mug," she chuckled, reaching for it eagerly. "You are a bloody angel, Jake, you know that?" She had almost forgotten that he had disappeared a little while ago to go get coffee. Saying that she was grateful was an understatement.

She blinked the sleep out of her eyes and turned back to Caiden. "So... how many d'you reckon you'll be cutting and shutting today, then?" It was a bit of a tradition among the surgeons to lay bets on how many operations they'd be called to that day, and an unofficial ranking was pinned up in one of the store rooms, detailing who got the most right. Pay day usually called for the victor to be bought copious drinks at O'Malley's by the losers. Fun times.

* - mate, my friend

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:49 pm 
US Air Force

Jake smiled at Caiden. "Morning. While scrubbed up and in the infirmary, feel free to call me Jake. I answer to it more quickly."

Jake turned to Claire as she thanked him for the coffee and reached out to get it. "Not a problem. Figured you would probably want something to help keep you awake during your paperwork. Ah, the joys of the medical profession."

Jake leaned against the wall, drinking deeply from his coffee cup, and listened to the two surgeons discuss their upcoming cuts. He shook his head slightly and chuckled. Surgeons were the jocks of the medical world, counting up their surgeries and making notches in their belts. Meanwhile the physicians went about their daily lives. Jake's mind briefly wandered back to a class on the history of medicine he had taken sometime while at JHU. Guess that all goes back to the difference between the historical origins of physicians and surgeons. But that was a discussion for a different day and different time.

Jake sighed, and headed for his desk across the room. He had some paperwork of his own to do.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:18 am 
US Air Force

"I hear everything." Caiden says to the Doctor. "Not to mention, I never said I was sleeping in my room..." Caiden says leaving it at that, cliffhangers were always fun to leave for people to ponder. Caiden could never sleep in the SGC and even when he did he was a very light sleeper.

Caiden turns his attention to Jake, "Very well, Morning Jake." Caiden says not even knowing the time but nevertheless it was early. "Well I figured I would stop by and see if it was busy, but I see its not and somehow, I am all caught up in my paperwork." Caiden says with a smirk, Caiden always did his homework even if he did have to stay up all night to do it. Sleeping is overrated, that is what days off are for, right? Caiden thought so.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:42 am 
Beta Site CMO

Jake was being his normal, amiable self with the other military doctor, and Claire smiled as she took a slurp of coffee. It was hot, wet and caffeine-heavy. She didn't care that it tasted like shit, not really: the caffeine contained within would be enough to see her through until the end of her shift.

Then she would sleep.

Maybe.

"You married, Jake?" Her smile was mischievous, and her eyebrows were twitching upwards. "If not, you'd make someone a bloody good wife." She punctuated her statement with a sip of the coffee. "But you'd do better to learn to make decent coffee." Claire always enjoyed bantering with Jake. The medical sense of humour was a strange beast, and the fact that Jake seemed to share the same black sense of humour was a plus. Not many people understood that part of her.

Claire quirked an eyebrow upwards at Caiden. "There is such a thing as a 'life' outside this place, you know," she said, loudly enough for Jake to hear, while casting him a pointed gaze. "All work and no play, and all that crap..."

She signed off on a chart with a casual scrawl. "You're under Doc Fraiser today, okay?" She and Jake had done their duty, and, within a couple of hours, would be able to kiss goodbye to the infirmary for a while, at least. "Not sure who else is on, though. I'm not working a double, and Jake's not down for a double either, so you won't have the dubious pleasure of our company, I'm afraid."

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:00 am 
US Air Force

Caiden stood around bored, he always liked a team coming in hot, he didn't hope for any fatalities or serious injuries but being a surgeon, you have to do surgery every now and again...

Caiden looked towards Jake when Claire spoke to him, he looked half asleep to Caiden.

Claire turned her attention towards Caiden, "Look who is talking, Doctor. Not exactly the poster child for having a life outside of this place. Doc Fraiser works for me, she has way more experience in matters around here than I will ever have. Always good to learn something new, that is what happens to us Doctors anyways, we're always learning something new, something not of this world..." Caiden said in a dark twisted voice, then he left it at that as he walked out of the room. "I'll go find something to get my hands on, I can't sleep now." He said walking away to points unknown.

Caiden has no work to do but that never stopped him before...