All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:41 pm 
Civilian

"Hon, you sound like some old maid who's not gotten herself laid in decades," chuckled Ruth, shaking her head as she pushed her breakfast plate away. She had eaten more than enough for now, and, if she felt hungry, could always snack her way through the morning. "You do need to get out more, though. You living on base as well?" She bet she was.

A slight flush suffused Ruth's cheeks at the mention of Jake's name, a flush that was gone within seconds, and one that she hoped that Sophie wouldn't notice. "Both of them come on the nights out regularly, so you might have other people you know. Then there's me. I'll be your wingman, so to speak." Sure, so Jake might be there as well, but so would any number of others. She'd have plenty of time to introduce Sophie to other people.

"O'Malley's it is," she said, her voice holding a note of finality. "They serve good food, especially the steaks, and..." She looked shrewdly across at her new friend. "Are you any good at pool?"

Ruth shook her head, her crimson curls bouncing. "I didn't take pity on you, hon," she grinned. "Just us geeks gotta stick together sometimes, especially when faced with testosterone overload!"

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:58 am 
Civilian

Shaking her head a little as she laughed along with Ruth, Sophie put on a mock scandalised face at being called old “Hey, it’s not a decade yet!” and like that she felt an all too familiar pull at her gut, a pull she shrugged off as soon as it came, determined that she would do today without dwelling on things she couldn’t change.

Thankfully the ambient noise of the cafeteria, and the general joviality coming from her companion, meant that Sophie was able to grasp firm onto her composure and forge ahead with the conversation.

“Its been a while since I have had chance to break out my skills, but yes, I can play pool …. And be social and not at all antisocial and awkward”

Raising her glass with the now warm dregs of juice, Sophie offered it across the table to tap against Ruth’s coffee cup, “I’ll toast to that”

Pulling her glass back, and tossing down the dregs, before grimacing as the warm and acidic excuse for OJ made its way south, Sophie glanced at her watch. Time evidently flew when you were having unplanned but well timed meals with colleagues. Her normal 10 minute in and out was now over half an hour, and although it was only a little after 7, Sophie knew her team would be rolling in, and she liked to be there to say hi.

“This has been really fun, but I need to get down to the labs. Do you want to walk with, if your done that is?”

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:43 am 
Civilian

Ruth detected a note of... well, if not quite desperation, a sadness tinged with longing coming from Sophie, and she wondered what the woman's story was. No matter how much they tried to protest it, everyone here had a story with a twist of the unusual or the uncommon, and it often fed into their reasons for being at the SGC.

Much as she was interested in what was going on with her new friend, Ruth wasn't going to pry. She had no doubt that she would tell her when she was good and ready.

Ruth grinned. "Okay, if you're any good at pool, I claim you for a doubles partner," she chuckled. "We'll show the boys that we can play as well as, if not better, than they can." Not that it was an uncommon occurrence for Ruth herself, but anything she could do to help Sophie come out of her shell was a good idea, in her books.

Accepting the toast, Ruth clinked the mug against Sophie's glass, and drained the cool dregs of coffee, silt thick at the bottom of the mug. She could almost feel the caffeine rush through her veins. Despite the lack of proper sleep, she didn't think that she'd have any problem staying awake.

Breakfast, it appeared, was coming to a natural end. Ruth had eaten enough, her coffee was gone, and it seemed that Sophie needed to get off. Standing, Ruth loaded her tray. "Sure, if you don't mind having your ear talked off as we walk?" She knew that her perky nature could annoy some people beyond belief, but she found herself hoping that Sophie would be able to put up with her optimistic nature.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:28 pm 
Civilian

She’d never considered herself overly shy, at least not since university when she’d come out of her shell and put herself out there, but recently Sophie had felt that the world was slipping past, with her solely on the periphery. The invite to O’Malleys that Ruth had extended was practically a lifeline, and Sophie was surprised at how lonely she’d let herself become.

“I’m sure my ears can take it – Lead on”