All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:42 pm 
Civilian

1st October, 06:23

Her hair still damp from the shower, Ruth stifled a yawn as she made her way to the mess hall. She had passed out in her chair the night before, poring over a translation, and her neck was stiff and sore, her shoulders knotted up, and she felt worse than if she had gotten no sleep at all. She was certain the bags under her eyes would have carried a ton of coal, but she really couldn't be bothered to try to improve the situation with makeup. It was too early for that crap, and people would have to take her as they found her.

Rubbing her gritty eyes, she shuffled her way into the breakfast queue, trying to set herself up for the day the best way she knew how: a hefty dose of caffeine, and a hearty breakfast. Sausage, bacon, eggs, tomatoes, hash browns, but she passed on the biscuits with gravy and the pancakes. The pancakes looked pale and wan, and reminded her of the sallow complexion she had seen in the mirror that morning.

Not a great look.

Paying for her breakfast, she scanned the surprisingly busy mess hall, looking for someone - anyone - she knew well enough to sit down and have a chat with. Conversation might be the only way she was going to stay awake long enough to shovel her food down. Sometimes, even industrial strength coffee just wasn't enough.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:21 am 
Civilian

The alarm had gone off at 5.15 and gone silent again at 5.17 when Sophie had rolled over and smashed the blasted thing on the snooze button. It was too early to be awake, regardless of an 8am start or not.

She had been dreaming about warm places, nowhere specific, just somewhere warm and far away from aliens but close enough to someone male, and ignorant of early starts.
The alarm has pierced the veil of fantasy again at 5.23, and groaning in defeat Sophie has sat upwards, stretched, slipped her feet out of the bed onto the rug, stretched some more, stood up and shambled to the bathroom to take care of business.

It was 5.42 when she emerged, hair, with the ends only slightly damp, swept up into a ponytail, a fairly unwrinkled emerald green silk blouse, tucked into black pants outfit, and the faintest trace of jasmine lingering on her skin.

By 5.50, she was in the car cursing about forgetting to grocery shop again. She’d been living in the small one floor apartment for six months and had probably only stocked the cupboards twice in that time, and the fridge perhaps a dozen. She just wasn’t here enough for it to be routine to remember to shop, most of her meals were eaten at the S.G.C and when she did come home, it was take out or junk food in front the TV. All she needed was a cat, which she would probably forget to feed, and her life as the lone crazy cat lady could start.

By the time she had driven up to the base, waved her ID, parked, and then taken the lift to the mess hall it was 6.25, and she was hungering for scrambled eggs on toast, with marmite slathered toast on the side, and a gallon of hot, black coffee.

Grabbing a tray as she entered she filled her tray with the surprisingly tolerable eggs, so far one of the only things she’d found cooked here that was close to what it was purported to be, and two sides of brown toast. A glass of OJ, and a mug of think sludge that was close enough to coffee to do the job and she was set. Payment made, she scanned the room looking for someone, anyone, who wasn’t fatigue clad, or sporting a buzz cut to sit with.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:18 pm 
Civilian

Ruth stifled a yawn, balancing her tray on the other arm, failing to spot anyone she knew well enough to sit with. Well, either that, or anyone she wanted to sit with in the first place. There was always the option of taking her tray back to the lab, she supposed, get an early start on work for the day.

However, her train of thought was knocked sideways as she almost walked into another woman, an older redhead, who she'd seen around the base a few times. She thought the other woman might be one of the medical staff, but she wasn't sure. After all, a white coat only indicated so much these days. She cocked a lopsided smile towards her, shrugging as she returned her gaze to the mess hall at large.

"Looks like the jarheads, squids, mortar maggots and flight suit inserts got here first," grinned Ruth, using every possible derogatory term for some of the military assholes she had met. "Looks like us civilians gotta stick together, right?"

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:32 am 
Civilian

The near miss was a better wake up than anything else so far today, just moving her tray so that the only casualty was the tower of toast falling askew, Sophie turned her attentions to the woman who’d attempted to occupy her small space.

Her polite and small smile, an inbuilt British gesture meant to soften the overly sarcastic tone the accent came with, split into a broader grin as the red head in front of her seemed to echo her unspoken thoughts about the occupants of the room.

“Oh yeah, get enough of us and we’ll take on the army, or air force I guess” She glanced around again, spotting a small table wedged into a corner in the back end of the room.

“I think I have spotted a staging ground for a coup, if you’re willing to battle the camo patch kids to get to it first”
Indicating the intended destination, Sophie gripped her tray a little tighter and prepared herself to slide behind chairs, and hover a tray over heads belonging to a people who could snap her in half in a second.

“I’m Sophie Edwards, by the way, from Path Sciences. You’re not a white coat are you?”

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:08 pm 
Civilian

The other woman seemed as relieved as Ruth was herself to not have to sit down with military personnel she didn't know. "In this place, I don't think we stand a chance," she said, more than a trace of rue in her voice. "Hell, even the women have testosterone bleeding from their pores." A quick glance around backed up that theory: most of the female military looked like the former East German women's shot putting team.

She followed the other woman's gaze. "I think we can get there before the next stampede takes out half the tables in the way," she grinned. She snorted with laughter at the "camo patch kids" remark. "I'll have to remember that one. It's a good one." Certainly quicker than her own description.

"Ruth Tolliver," said Ruth, introducing herself as she started to make her way across the room. "Nope, not a white coat, at least not most of the time. I'm a linguist, so usually smell of mothballs and old books. Sorry." She apologised as she nudged into a chair as she tried to force her way through to the small table at the back. "I had you pegged for some sort of medical staff, though. The white coat when I've seen you wandering around is a bit of a giveaway, dontcha think?"

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:42 pm 
Civilian

Sophie was thrown off kilter a moment but just how much dissing her new compadre in arms could issue out regarding the uniformed portion of the payroll. It wasnt unheard off, a lot of the civilillans on base harboured a little gripe or two about the military, and she knew first hand that the military was just as judgemental.
It was the adult version of the playground, jocks and nerds, jostling for superiority. Nothing changed it seemed.

"Your welcome to it" Her grin replaced with a look of concentration, Sophie listened as Ruth introduced herself, and nodded to indicate that she was listening. Linguist would explain why she hadnt seen her around before, they lived on another level and in her few months at the S.G.C, Sophie hadnt really had course to seek out someone with that particular skill set.

"Trust me, mothballs and books, are a hell of a lot better than anything I'm likely to smell like after a day in the lab" Emerging from the bulk of the tables, Sophie spied someone else who seemed to be angling in the direction she and Ruth were heading, and quickening her pace she dropped her tray down, and shot them an apologetic smile.

Watching them slide off to join another group elsewhere, Sophie felt like chalking a score down on a mental tally. Civilians 1, Military: 0

"Ah yes, the white coat. It is a somewhat huge hint. I'm considering changing the colour, see if I can throw people off their game, or at least come up with a colour scheme that isnt stained by EVERY thing I come into contact with" Reaching into her purse, Sophie pulled a small jar of Marmite free and began to spread it thickly across two of the slices of toast.

"So, linguistics? Earth languages, or the alien ones?" Taking a bite of her toast and closing her eyes in appretiation of the rich, yeasty goodness, Sophie chewed on her mouthful. The early start was still shitty, but at least she had the chance to meet someone from outside the dept.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:30 pm 
Civilian

Ruth clocked a strange look on the other woman's face. Maybe the testosterone thing was a step too far. Ah well.

Smiling at the redhead over her shoulder, Ruth shrugged. "The names most of the military call us, it's only fair we have a term of our own to use," she said, her voice light but just able to be heard over the hubbub in the mess hall. "After all, your term's a 'one size fits all', whereas mine are dependent on the military branch."

Ruth laughed, though, at Sophie's assertion that she'd rather smell musty than of her own labs. "Oh, I don't know," she replied, a light chuckle emanating from her as she slid into her seat and shot a dazzling smile at the military types who had been sharking the table. "It's kinda a turnoff for the guys, you know? I think they prefer the lysol and formaldehyde scent, myself."

She watched with curiosity as Sophie started to spread her toast with some strange brown stuff from a jar she took from her purse, and she took a bite of bacon before cocking her head. "What's that stuff," she asked, wrinkling her nose. "It looks kinda noxious."

Ruth shrugged at Sophie. "Started with earth languages, but work on the alien languages too, now," she explained. "Sometimes, it feels more like play than work, but there are other times when I'd just prefer a little downtime." She arched her eyebrows up, "What exactly is it that you do," she asked. "Path sciences doesn't give much away."

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:06 pm 
Civilian

Sophie snorted a little bit at Ruth’s assertions that eau to lab was more pleasant than eau to books.
“Well we may have to agree that it depends upon the man, who will undoubtedly buy us perfume that masks it anyway”

Turning the jar round so that its yellow label faced her dining partner, Sophie finished covering the first slice and moved onto the second “This is marmite – A gift from the homeland, and a paltry contender for the vegemite they use down under" Both slices covered in a thin smear of black spread, she continued “It’s an acquired taste, you’re welcome to try some”

Nodding her head as she listened, Sophie polished off both slices of toast, and made a start of the eggs, building a small pile atop one slices forming the second round off toast. It seemed a lot of food, but she knew what she was like, and wouldn’t likely eat again until late afternoon and experience had taught her that coffee alone was not a wise option.

“Officially or unofficially?” Chuckling, Sophie reached for the black sludge she liked to think was coffee and took a mouthful, washing the last of the marmite taste out her mouth, “Officially, I’m in charge of a small research team that was mostly studying and documenting the ancient gene, although recently we’ve been looking at genetic variations in some of the people from the otherworld’s, unofficially, I seem to be a consultant on just about anything biochemical, pathological or genetic”

Turning her attentions back to her eggs, Sophie spooned a forkful into her face and chewed them, glancing around the hall at the sea of faces that were milling about, some engaged in their own conversations, others focused solely on their food.

“Have you been here long then?”

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:31 pm 
Civilian

"You know, I've never had a guy buy me perfume," chuckled Ruth. It was true, too. Always a bit too much of a tomboy, even her ex-husband had never bought her flowers, and never bought her perfume. Either he wasn't romantic, or she wasn't the type of woman to inspire romantic behaviour. Probably the latter.

Marmite looked... gloopy. And somewhat toxic, and the rich, salty scent coming from Sophie's toast was enough to put her off. "No thanks," she grinned, nodding to her own plate. "I'll stick with this, thanks." It certainly appeared to be the better bet.

Ruth chuckled. "Seems like all of us here have a job description, and then what we actually do," she said, shrugging as she chewed on a bite of sausage. "I seem to do as much analysis of potential origins of artefacts as well as the linguistic stuff, but I guess it goes hand in hand in a place like this." Without context, her translations meant nothing.

"How long? Oh, about... two years, I think," she replied, slurping up some coffee. "You?"

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:54 am 
Civilian

Eye brows raising slightly at Ruth’s passing comment about the perfume Sophie couldn’t think of anything to say that wasn’t either going to come off as bragging, or patronizing. Luckily for her the chance to bogart a table had appeared that that moment so she’d had something other to concentrate on.

Smiling as Ruth declined her offer, Sophie put the jar back in her bag and tucked into her toast. She eyed the bacon that her dining partner was munching on, and her stomach did a flip, she could never hack bacon in the morning, mid-morning on a hangover sure, but a normal breakfast, no thanks. Eggs, toast and coffee was her go to choice.

“I guess, I don’t think I’d worked anywhere quite as, cross skilled, before I came here” Chuckling as she pushed the last of her eggs round her plate, Sophie was already feeling full on just the toast and half a plate of scrambled protein, her appetite was off recently and she wasn’t sure of the cause.

“Barely two months – It’s been a heck of an adjustment, and I don’t just mean the time zones and the work subject matter – there’s the whole ‘alien worlds’ thing that I still can’t wrap my head around!”

Wasn’t that the truth, Sophie could recall being interviewed, signing a lot of non-disclosure agreements and packing up her life to move across the world for this job. Yet, none of that compared to having to see and experience the Stargate, something that she still wasn’t 100% keen on. She was a self-professed lab rat, and the departure room and all that lay beyond was far outside her comfort zone.

“So, do you go off world at all?”

Last edited by Sophie_Edwards on Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.