All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:47 am 
Atlantis Expedition Deputy CMO

Despite her own sadness, her own longing for home, Claire gazed at Caleb with compassion. "That must have been rough as well," she said, her voice quiet. "I mean, at least Auckland to Welly is only just over 600k - a day's drive, or an hour's plane ride away. I can't imagine what it would have been like to be stuck underwater and not able to get back home if it all got too much." Her dad had always maintained that it took a certain - special - kind of bloke to become a submariner. They had to be just a little bit crazy, at least in his eyes, and, if they weren't when they started, they would be by the end of their first tour.

A flicker of light danced through Claire's eyes as she explained to Caleb about her people's traditions, and was a little surprised that he looked genuinely interested. Most people, particularly here in America, it seemed, couldn't give a flying fuck about tradition and the past. Her people held it sacred, and it made a refreshing change for someone to be interested and to want to learn more.

Claire smiled softly, the lightest of blushes suffusing her cheeks as Caleb told her he thought it was brilliant. "Most people don't get it," she admitted, shrugging. Then she stilled, her ice turning to blood in her veins as Caleb told her that she could give it to her own children when she had them. A short breath in, a small smile fixed back in place, one that never reached her eyes, and she shrugged again. "I don't think kids are in my future, unless I go back to paediatric surgery," she said, her voice quiet, and her eyes more far away than they had been.

The fact that she couldn't have children - probably, anyway - hurt more than she would ever dare to admit. And she certainly wasn't about to admit that to Caleb. It was enough that her parents knew. Other than that, it was her business and hers alone. She had no intention to get into a relationship with anyone, not after what Tama had done to her. It just wasn't worth the risk.

Claire sighed, the smile returning slightly, as Caleb said he had nothing like that. "Well, now you're not being shifted around, perhaps it's time to connect your past and present," she said, taking another sip of her now cooling coffee.

Caleb looked almost proud as she mentioned his reputation, which Claire was surprised at. In her books, it wasn't something to be proud of, but it was none of her business. If it made him happy, and he wasn't hurting anybody, she supposed it was better than playing the field while being in a relationship at the same time.

She smiled, though, as he agreed that he didn't want to make her another one of his conquests, and the smile turned to a laugh as he asked if she was going to be his BFF. "I reckon that kind of friendship might not be a bad thing," she admitted. She needed someone that she could trust, be completely honest with, and she already felt comfortable enough with Caleb for that to maybe be the start of the kind of friendship she needed.

She snorted with laughter as Caleb tried and failed to dispel the rumours floating around the base about him. "I might hear the rumours, but it doesn't mean that I actually give a shit," she replied. Honesty was the best policy right now. In fact, honesty was something she valued above all else, and, without honesty, there was no way that she could be friends with Caleb or anyone else.

Claire placed her mug down as Caleb looked uncomfortable. She had been right about him not coming down here for fun, and, in a way, she hated to have to get back to business. It was good just to talk for a while, to forget where she was and why she was here, and to reach out to another person, willing, for once, to show someone else her vulnerable side. It wasn't something that happened often.

"Happens to everyone, e hoa, whether you've been out of the country or not," replied Claire. "It's been a while since you've been offworld, I bet?" Come to think of it, she couldn't remember having seen his name on the offworld rosters since his injury on his first trip out. "Anyway... it's not as if I'm run off my feet here. We can... talk now, check-up later, if you prefer?" Whatever happened, Claire didn't fancy being alone at that moment, although buggered if she'd admit it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:23 pm 
Royal Navy

Caleb didn't know what to reply to that, yes it had been rough, the job itself was hard as anything at times and there had been times when there was quite literally no escaping the fact that you were on a submarine, several hundred feet below sea level and unable to just walk away. But he had no words that would make it seem better, no words that would clearly give Claire the comfort that she was looking for from him in that moment.

He had known, he'd always known that he had to be a certain kind of crazy to make working on a submarine work, even his own parents didn't understand quite the depth of craziness that he was to do such a job. Of course neither of his parents were military in any sense of the word so he was probably sure that even if he had joined another branch they would still think he was that crazy.

"It's rewarding though," he answered in the end. That was about all he could say really, this wasn't his strong suit with women, he flirted and chatted up, not this whole comforting thing, although he hoped that he was getting better at it. Well he had to be otherwise he was sure that Claire would have told him to sod off by now if that wasn't the case.

Caleb smiled at her slightly, "I don't really get it to be honest," he said in a bout of sincerity, "But doesn't make it any less brilliant." It was true he didn't get it, didn't understand it, but that was because he had never had it before and just because he hadn't had something didn't mean that it was just damn right interesting.

Of course then he went and put his foot in his mouth with the kid jibe, he couldn't help wincing slightly as she told him kids weren't in her future with that quiet tone and a unfamiliar look on her face. He vaguely remembered they had sort of covered kids the first time they had met and she had said then she didn't have them, he was really good at rubbing salt into a wound in that moment.

"Sorry," he said, just as quietly. He hadn't meant to cause her any upset, he had been there to try to take her mind of such upsets and yet he had just completely done the opposite, and although he was curious as to know exactly why there wouldn't be kids in her future. He wasn't afraid to admit that he was sure any kids she ever had would look just like her. Caleb knew that he himself wouldn't be having kids any time soon, if ever, he didn't ever plan on settling down long enough to have them.

Caleb shifted slightly uncomfortable in his seat when she suggested he could connect his past and present now he was more stationary. He didn't think that would happen any time soon, his past consisted of one relationship and many, many one night stands, not something he wanted to be connecting to his future. Well the relationship part of it anyway.

But he also knew that maybe taking a look at his own family history could be interesting, not that he ever had much time to do such things, he was much more just a live in the moment - or so he liked to make people believe - than dwell on the past kind of person.

"Am sure my parents would love that," he answered her, "But not something I'd look into really, connecting the two....lets just say there is a few things that I'd like to keep in the past." It was the most open about the one solid relationship he had had and maybe part of him was hoping she'd asked, prod some more, but the other part was hoping she didn't. It was an unusual feeling to have, he was usually so very sure of what he wanted people to know, in which direction to drive a conversation so that they asked the question he could answer.

But this, this right here, he was making a friendship with someone that meant he couldn't do that, he couldn't control the flow of the conversation and it was a weird feeling. It felt like he was trying to write with his left hand, after being right handed for all his life.

Of course then he saw her smile again, especially when he mentioned the word BFF, honestly he didn't know how most of the younger lot actually came up with such stupid acronyms and he was in the military so it was mostly such things. He realised that also made him sound quite old, so he pushed the thought away, "BFFs it is then, of course I know you've got long hair but you aren't going to expect me to come round braiding the damn thing right," he said teasingly.

He felt himself relax another little bit as she said they could talk first, then check up later, that was what he wanted. Well actually he didn't want the check up at all because as he was sat there making a nice strong friendship with Claire, he wasn't sure how he would feel when she went back to being his Doctor. He was concerned that he it would feel weird, sure that first meeting they had ever had he had done nothing but flirt with her, but now, now he was worried it would be different.

"That sounds like a plan," he answered smiling at her, "And no I haven't been off world since you stitched me up, which I might add has healed nicely, see," he couldn't resist pulling up the top that showed off a nice neat straight pink line of scar where Claire had pulled out a piece of shrapnel on his first off world mission.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:28 pm 

"Every job is rewarding if you're passionate about it," mused Claire. Her own job had never been more rewarding than when she was a paediatric emergency surgeon, and she was still looking for that spark now. Sure, she was dealing with unique cases, surgical opportunities most doctors would never get a chance to experience, but she still didn't get the same buzz, the same feeling of having truly helped, as she did when she was working with children.

Claire smiled, shaking her head, as Caleb admitted that he didn't really understand the whole thing about handing down heirlooms from one generation to another. "Do you not have anything that gets handed down in your family," she asked, her voice and expression equally quizzical. To her, it was an anachronism when families didn't connect with their past in some way.

Her pained eyes softening slightly, even as Caleb winced at his faux pas around children, Claire shook her head. It was painful, sure, but it was something she had come to live with over the last few years. It didn't make it any better, but it was what it was.

"No need to apologise," she said, her voice soft. "Just... reckon I've missed the boat, you know? Not getting any younger, after all." She was 37, single, and had no intentions to dive back into the dating pool. Short of using a sperm donor, she was likely to remain childless. She would just have to enjoy her nieces and nephews.

Claire frowned a little - just for a moment - as Caleb hinted at things he'd rather leave in his past, rather than connecting them to who he was now. She flashed him a hint of a teasing grin, not exactly knowing whether Caleb was hinting that he wanted to talk, or whether it was just an idle remark. "Deep dark secrets, huh? Haven't we all?" Her tone was light - if he truly wanted to talk, she hoped that it would be an invitation enough. If not, it could be dismissed.

She couldn't help laughing, though, as Caleb commented on not braiding her hair for her. "Fuck, no," she chuckled, sounding less burdened than she had since he had arrived in her office. "I'll settle for the adult equivalent of braiding each other's hair and sleepovers: joining me at the pub, having a laugh, coffees... you know? Kinda like we're doing now?" She gave him a soft smile. It felt good to be able to be almost planning stuff like that with somebody. It had been a while.

Watching Caleb relax a little further as she delayed the checkup. She was enjoying the conversation, even if the topics opened up raw wounds a little. It felt good to to be forming the tentative bonds of trust, and that meant opening up a little more than was strictly comfortable.

Claire twitched an eyebrow upwards as Caleb admitted he'd not been offworld since she had stitched him up. She was about to ask why that was when he tugged his top upwards and showed her the scar. Picking up a pen, Claire stood, coming around to the other side of the desk. She took the hem of Caleb's top, examining the scar, although not particularly preparing to start a full-on checkup. It was more to see whether her handiwork had held up.

She was pleased to note that it had.

She glanced up at Caleb and grinned. "You clearly did as you were told during the healing period, didn't you," she said, sounding almost impressed. "I bet that's a rarity."

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:54 pm 
Royal Navy

Caleb nodded his head at that, it was true his reputation might proceed him as a bit of a womaniser at times but other than wanting to make sure he slept with ever woman in Colorado he was most definitely passionate about his job. It was a matter of if he hadn't have been then he most certainly would not be sat there in that moment, that was for sure.

He kind of understood where she was coming from with the kid comment, he himself wasn't getting any younger, and well he didn't ever plan to ever have any kids (he might also be hoping no one out there actually had one) in his life time, much to the char gain of his parents. But it just wasn't something that he could ever see him being good at or something he would ever want, maybe, many years ago now there might have been the flicker of wanting that kind of life but not any more.

Now, now he just made a point of getting what he needed and giving what his partner wanted and moved on. No strings attached, no fuss, no mess and most definitely no kids, it was the way he liked it and the way it was going to stay for...well for the considerable future.

"You're only as old as you feel," he said, smiling at her, "Of course if you feel old, you must surely be ancient. So come on Doctor, tell me, how old are you? I mean you know how old I am, it says so in my file, which I know you've peeked at more times than you'll admit." The tone was light and teasing, a way to hastily skip past the kids talk, although it wasn't quite on the level of a flirt. It was in that moment in time the first time he had been just joking, there was no sexual undertones to the conversation.

Of course when she mentioned deep dark secrets well he shifted again in his seat, sure the conversation had been going swimmingly, he had felt like he was getting close to Claire without seeing her naked or making her call out his name. He actually felt like this was someone he could relate to, to actually hold a proper conversation with, but there was still a small part of him that was worried, or more concerned if he started telling them secrets.

Started sharing his past, well it was a way to get hurt again and that was something he didn't want, also he was pretty sure that he was meant to be making Claire smile, not spilling his guts to her. "Now that depends, what kind of deep dark secrets do you think am I actually hiding?" he asked, smiling brightly at her, completely deflecting the seriousness of the conversation into something lighter once more.

There was no reason to bring up his whole sordid past, he was sure if the friendship continued on as it was he would be telling her, but the whole thing was still so new, so freaking fragile at the moment he wasn't sure if he could quite open up his own wounds to share with her.

Caleb put on a look of mock relief as she told him he didn't have to braid her hair, "Thank god for that," he said smiling at her, "Because to be honest, am crap at braiding women's hair." Almost as though he had done such a thing so many times before, which....well okay there had been one time, but there had been a lot of alcohol that night.

"Otherwise I think I can get behind that, coffee breaks sound fine." he answered with a small shrug, he knew that it wouldn't be long if they did that, that rumours would start up about them, but...well he found he didn't really care in the moment. Let people talk, Claire was just his friend and that was all he was seeing her as.

When she lifted his shirt further up with a pen, he had to arch an eyebrow at her and nodded to the pen, "What worried to catch something or worried that I was hiding something underneath all this clothing?" he asked jokingly.

"I also do as am told, especially if the person doing the telling says please and if I recall you did say please," he explained, smiling at her slightly, "Besides I relaxed, spent most of the time on my back." He didn't need to finish that sentence it was fully loaded and ready to go, Claire would make of it what she wanted.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:06 pm 

One thing Claire never really understood about the military in general - not specific members, mind you - was how they could be passionate about a job that brought them into direct contact with conflict and death on a daily basis. Sure, Caleb's job was somewhat different: after all, how much action did a submarine see? Very little, she'd bet. Still, with Caleb, what she couldn't get was how he was happy shoving himself into a tin can for months on end with a hundred other sweaty men.

Yup, a special kind of crazy.

"So... what makes you passionate about your job," Claire asked, genuinely curious, her homesickness receding just a little. This was something more than the surface conversation she had with pretty much everyone else she knew in the USA, and it was drawing her in, giving her something to think about in the here and now.

Claire shrugged at the old adage that Caleb spouted at her. Sometimes, she felt pretty bloody old, especially when she considered that she might never have children of her own. Caleb segued into a clumsy question about her age, and Claire snorted, shaking her head. "Didn't your mum ever tell you that you don't ask a lady her age," she grinned, not quite believing how blatant he had been about it. "Still... I never pretended to be a lady."

She took a sip of her coffee, making Caleb wait. "I'm..." She narrowed her eyes, looking at him shrewdly. "How old do you think I am?" Given her profession and position, it shouldn't be too hard to get within a year or two of her actual age. Of course, she knew Caleb's age, and he was a couple of months younger than she was. He had started the tease, though, so it was only fair that Claire throw the ball back into his court.

Claire didn't miss the fact that Caleb squirmed in his seat as she mentioned his potential deep, dark secrets. However, she wasn't the kind to pry uninvited, and remained quiet, even as he turned it around on her. She shrugged, smiling quietly. "Aside from your romantic escapades?" Claire looked at Caleb as though she was sizing him up, before grinning. "Let me guess... four wives on as many continents." A totally flippant remark, designed to get a laugh from the man sat opposite her.

"Sounds like you've done it before, e hoa," grinned Claire at Caleb's comment on braiding hair. "Don't let that become common knowledge in here, you'll get queues out of the door!" And it wasn't just braiding hair that would be in demand, either.

Claire smiled as Caleb agreed to coffee breaks and the like. It would give her something to break up the long days in the infirmary, and at least she would have a drinking buddy she could rely on, well, when he wasn't out on the pull, anyway. In fact, it could get interesting if he pulled while they were out drinking together. She'd tease him for details the morning after, if that ever happened.

Glancing upwards at Caleb as he teased her for using a pen to prod around at his scar, Claire smiled. "Neither. I seem to recall that you were worried that, if I touched you when I was stitching you up, I wouldn't be able to get enough. Wouldn't want to risk that, would you?" Still, Claire tucked the pen into a pocket, and gently, professionally, pushed and pulled at the scar tissue. "It's looking perfect, healed well. You'll always have a scar there, though."

Claire laughed as Caleb said he always did as he was told. "Bullshit," she giggled, shaking her head, even as she pulled his top back down, covering the scar. "And spending too much time on your back isn't conducive to recovery, so I'm bloody gobsmacked that you didn't have to come back in here multiple times to have it stitched back up!"

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:50 pm 
Royal Navy

Caleb wasn't quite expecting the question about what made him passionate about his job, it wasn't something he ever really got asked. His parents never asked, they never really understood the whole military structure etc, any of his bed partners if they wanted the sailor side it was usually just the uniform they wanted to see and not actually what his job was. Caleb was always working at the job, so never really gave it much thought as to what made him passionate about it, he loved the job, really loved it but to put that into words? He had no words for that.

He sat up a little bit straighter as he put some serious thought into the question, "You know am a Weapons Specialist, one of the reason I got taken on here," he started, still kind of struggling to put into words exactly what he felt for the job. "Fixing something that's broken, making things easier to use, anything that I can do with my hands really." It was more like he was giving her a pre-told list of his qualifications than what he why he was passionate about the job, he wasn't exactly use to talking about him self. He ran a hand across the back of his neck in an sort of frustratingly nervous gesture, the conversation was not normally focused on him, so not only was he out of his depth but it was a weird feeling.

Closing his eyes he took a deep breath and said, "You don't see a lot of hand to hand action in my division of the Navy, but I still get to help people in my own way. Am passionate about my job because I can fix something so it works not only for that moment, but I can improve on it." He opened his eyes once more, smiling at her, it was the best he could do with what felt like a bag of snakes sat in his stomach. But throughout the whole speech, the whole talking of what he did and why he liked it so much, there wasn't a drop of ego in there, there was a bit of pride sure, there was confidence but it was a well earned confidence without the ego.

He also realised that he had actually revealed just a small bit of himself to the woman sat across from him, had actually kind of given her a peek to who he actually was. Quite literally a peek behind the flirting, the innuendo, and all the pick up lines in the world to what was a very charming, quite humble bloke.

So he was much happier when she asked him how old he thought she was, he stared at her for a moment, actually taking a moment to take in her appearance, from the still slight redness under her eyes, to the green scrubs that he found all the medical staff often wore on base. "I'd say and you gotta promise not to poke me with anything sharp if I get it wrong," god he hated when women did this to him, honestly place a machine operated weapon in front of him and he could tell you exactly what make, model and year it was made. He wasn't that lucky with women, whether he was picking them up for a night of fun or sat in a doctors office making a new friend, somehow at least half of the time he ended up smacked by answering that question.

"I'd say about 35 or 36." he said quickly and quietly, before hastily adding on the end, "Of course you don't look a day over 30." It was always best to cover his tracks, less stinging cheek for him that way.

Caleb didn't so much as laugh, as swallow the last bit of his tea harshly causing him to cough when she flippantly said he had four wives on each continent. He had to take a moment to cough and smile at her to let her know that he got the joke, but also a marriage joke? Really? He was beginning to wonder how this woman sat in front of him was hitting a little close to home, once he had finished coughing, his breathing back under control he plastered a smile on his face. It didn't quite reach his eyes, but well it didn't have to, "Oh yeah totally, have one of every continent, you got to think of how lonely they all must be now am stationed here, unable to go service them when it's needed."

He grinned as she made a comment about braiding the hair and queues out his door, well a queue of women for his door was not the worse thing that sprang to mind. Of course if he had the queue he didn't want any of the other blokes on base getting jealous, he didn't want no fighting outside his door thank you very much. "Queues at my door, quick you must tell everyone!" he joked back, happy to be lightening the mood once more.

Caleb tried rather hard not to move as Claire prodded around the old wound site with her pen, honestly the pen was cold and well it kept making his skin jump every time she touched him with it. If he didn't know any better he would say that she was doing it on purpose, but well she had the cold pen the last thing he was going to do was accuse her of such a thing.

"This is true," he added teasing her right back, "If we are building a beautiful friendship doctor I think it's best if no hands get pressed to skin." Even as she did that very thing, at least it her hands were warm, probably all the tea she had been holding, he was happy when she declared that it would be fine, but leave a scar. It would be his first true scar from working at Cheyenne and well he couldn't help feeling a little pride at that, "Am sure all the ladies will love it."

He pulled his top back down and sat up a little straighter in the chair again, he had sort of half leant away as she had prodded him with the pen, of course there was a small hint of mischief that entered his eyes as he replied back, "Honestly I was resting on my back the whole time, everyone else did all the work."

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:40 pm 

Claire wondered whether Caleb had been taken by surprise at her question about why he was passionate about his job. If someone asked her that, she'd be able to explain in a heartbeat what she loved about it, what drove her, and what kept her going back, day after day. Not necessarily so much now, at the SGC, but certainly as a paediatric emergency surgeon.

It was the ability to make a difference to someone, even if not to save their life. It could be something as simple as stitching up a cut on a kid's knee, or as complex as trying to repair internal injuries after a child had been run down by a car. Each held their own sense of satisfaction, neither greater than the other.

However, there was the flipside. It was always hard to lose a patient, and you had to have a backbone of steel to get through that more than a couple of times. Claire was lucky: she'd lost very few patients. Some people put that down to skill, but she put it down to what it was: blind luck. Sure, she was good at her job, but, sometimes, you just needed luck on your side.

Claire listened in silence, nodding occasionally, as Caleb tried to explain what made him passionate about his job. In some way, maybe his job wasn't all that different to her own. It was all about putting things back together, making them as good as new - or as close as possible - or maybe better than before. It was odd, thinking of her own job in that way. "So our jobs aren't that dissimilar, really," she remarked, frowning for a moment. "But what made you go for submarines? Why not something... non-military? Or on land? Do you have a naval background, or something?"

Claire grinned. "Okay, I promise, I promise," she replied, as he asked her to promise not to poke him if he got her age wrong. She didn't need to, in fact. Claire shot Caleb an impressed look. "Close enough," she grinned. "37. A couple of months older than you, if I recall correctly." She rolled her eyes at his next comment. "What were we saying about flattery getting you nowhere with me," she chuckled.

"You okay," asked Claire, leaning forward in her chair, concern etched onto her face. "The joke wasn't that bad, was it?" The somewhat manufactured smile said that it was, and she wondered whether she had touched on a raw nerve. Given Caleb's reputation, she wondered whether or not there was something deeper there. Still, he'd tell her if and when he wanted to. It wasn't something she was going to prod away at. "Caleb Williams, famous polygamist," she grinned. "It has quite a ring to it, doesn't it?"

She snorted again as Caleb told her to get the rumours started, and she shook her head. "I don't gossip, your secret's safe with me," she replied, only half joking. Caleb seemed to be an intensely private man, and anything he said to her would be held in complete confidence. Besides, she wouldn't want to wreck his reputation as a ladies' man by revealing he was capable of friendship with a woman.

Claire looked up at Caleb and blew him a raspberry as he agreed that her hands shouldn't touch his skin if they were going to be just friends. "Then you'd better not go getting yourself injured, had you," she replied, her voice teasing and light, even as her fingers palpated the scar to make sure that everything was as well healed as it appeared. Satisfied, Claire stepped back.

She didn't miss the glint of mischief in Caleb's eyes as he sat up properly again. Claire snorted with laughter. "If you expect your women to do all the work, Caleb, I think I need to count myself lucky that we're just friends!"

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:49 pm 
Royal Navy

Caleb wasn't use to all the questions that Claire was directing his way, it wasn't that they made him uncomfortable - well okay they did a little bit - it was more that he was use to doing the asking than the one being asked. No one ever really wanted to know exactly the ins and outs of who he was and what made him tick, but it seemed that apparently Claire did.

He shrugged at her questions, "No, no navel background, first and only Williams to join up." he wasn't sure exactly what had made him choose Navy over anything else, it had been a good ten plus years ago now that he had joined up and he couldn't remember why. "Wanted to see the world," he answered simply, it was the answer most of the blokes he served with gave when they were asked. "Our jobs might be similar but I can guarantee if I don't fix something that day it isn't likely to die on me unlike your patients."

Caleb was sure had he got more patience then he would have probably chosen something along the same career as Claire, but well his patience only stretched so far and unfortunately that made him a bad candidate for being a Doctor. Well that and the fact he probably would have been fired long ago now for all the flirting he had done, if he'd become a doctor.

"Submarines just appealed to me you know," he finally answered, "It was just something that, well gave the best challenge, I didn't want to be getting bored." He paused a moment wondering whether to divulge anything else, before he quite literally threw caution to the wind, if they were growing a friendship then well it was his turn to share. "Spent a lot of time in my youth fixing cars up with my dad, I grew bored with it, wanted something more, discovered my talents for lack of a better word could be harnessed with the Navy."

It was strange although at the time when he was younger he had grown to resent cars and the way that every single one of them would break down in exactly the same way. But now, with all the weird stuff he had seen since joining the SGC, he would quite literally enjoy working on the simpleness of a car. To know that he didn't have to think what was wrong with it, or figure something out, to just let his hands work from muscle memory, it would be a nice feeling he was sure.

"Fine, am fine," he answered, taking in another couple of breathes to get rid of the last of the coughing. "No joke wasn't that bad," he said, smiling a little brighter hoping she would take it for what it was, he didn't want to talk about it, didn't want to share such intimate details about himself to her. Not yet, maybe when they were better acquainted, when they were less acquaintances and more friends, he was sure he'd share it then.

He laughed as she called him a famous polygamist, "Well there is worse things to be called I supposed." Caleb said, which was true, there had been less pleasant things said to him and about him, he generally just took it on the nose nowadays, didn't let it bother him or at least that is what he told people.

"Thank you," he said sincerely as she told him she didn't listen to gossip, honestly he had found that people at Cheyenne liked nothing better to do than gossip. Although he understood that, the mountain for however many levels under the surface it was, was quite small and gossip ran rife when you put a bunch of people together and just let them talk amongst themselves. Especially if people were not busy with work, boredom was the worse thing for gossiping.

Caleb found himself laughing again as Claire did nothing short of blowing a raspberry at him, really he wasn't sure if he had come down to see the Doctor or a child. Either way the child was definitely more enjoyable than the doctor, "Okay, okay I promise no more getting injured, don't want to have to get you infected now do we. I mean then you wouldn't be able to use your expert hands on anyone else."

"Well they don't do all the work," he started slowly, a sly smile slipping onto his face, "Just because am on my back doesn't mean there isn't plenty I can't do with my hands." He was doing that bragging again, the one that clearly said he was joking around but also there might be a smidgen of truth in it as well.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:40 pm 

Caleb almost looked like a rabbit in the headlights as Claire asked him about his background, and she wondered whether he was uncomfortable talking about himself. It would certainly make sense when paired with the one night stands and his womanising ways. Everything on the surface, nobody allowed to see behind the shiny facade that he wanted to show off.

Well, tough.

Claire liked her friendships to have a little depth, and that meant sharing who you were if you wanted to be able to trust one another. She smiled, though, as Caleb explained that he had no naval background, but had wanted to see the world. She would bet it wasn't as simple as that, but she didn't press him. For now. "And did you see the world, from a hundred feet under the sea," she teased, a smile on her lips. "Yeah, but if you don't fix something properly, more than one life could be at stake," she said, a light frown marring her brow. "Like I said, not that different, really."

She listened again as Caleb explained why he had chosen to become a submariner. Sure, his skills as a mechanic could be used as in the navy, but weaponry on board a submarine was hardly a logical leap. Still, it clearly had made him happy. "And did you grow bored of submarines," she asked. "Is that why you ended up here?"

Claire took another sip of her coffee, thinking for a second or two. "I always wanted to be a surgeon," she said, her voice soft. "I could never imagine being anything else." She didn't add in that she wanted to work with kids again, even after such a short time at the SGC, that she missed the hustle and bustle of an ED, and the simple pleasure of working with children. Caleb hadn't asked why she had become a surgeon, and she didn't want to bang on about it in case he couldn't care less.

It didn't take a genius to work out that Caleb didn't want to talk any more about his deep, dark secrets. Maybe she had hit too close to home with the marriage thing, maybe not, but there was something that he didn't want to discuss. While she respected his right to privacy, she couldn't help but wonder what Caleb was being so cagey about.

"You're welcome," replied Claire. Caleb's thanks was sincere, and a departure from much of their conversation so far. Besides the fact that gossiping really wasn't in her nature, in her position, it would be going against everything she stood for. "Besides, gossip about you is so commonplace, nobody would believe me anyway. The more licentious stories would get passed around far quicker."

Claire grinned. Blowing a raspberry had taken Caleb by surprise, and put a smile on his face. It took things back to the light, frothy conversation with which he appeared to be more comfortable. She laughed at his comment about infection. "It's not the infection I'd be worried about," she replied flippantly. "I'd be worried about no man ever matching up to you again. Oh, the horror." Her voice had taken on a mock bored tone, but her eyes danced with amusement. Sure, he might be good to look at, but Claire had no interest whatsoever in getting involved with someone - anyone - let alone someone who looked as though he could become a good friend.

Once more, Claire rolled her eyes. "Well, given the dexterity required in a job such as engineering, mechanics... surgery... I'd be concerned if you weren't good with your hands." She twitched her eyebrows up, swallowing one last flirtatious tease. After all, you didn't flirt that hard with your friends, especially when you had no interest in taking things further.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:58 pm 
Royal Navy

"There was a lot of blue," he answered smiling just as brightly back, yeah there was hardly any kind of sight seeing to be done on a submarine. It wasn't exactly like they could put windows in one so that you could watch the fishes swim on by, although he was pretty certain that actually making it more noticeable that you were under several hundred feet of water would have made some of the blokes lives tougher. Especially the ones who had been like Claire had a few moments ago and missing home.

"I saw a lot of the world once we were back on dry land, I think that counts as seeing the world." He just didn't happen to mention that the majority of his time 'seeing' the world consisted mainly of the evenings spent with a woman. There was no need to over share that much, not yet, he was getting on okay with Claire he didn't want to divulge too much information.

He had to concede to her point that there jobs were not that much different really, it was just less hand in body in his area of choice than there was Claire's. He couldn't help laughing slightly when she asked if he had gotten bored with being on a submarine, he honestly had thought that was where he was going to spend the remainder of his career on a submarine. It wasn't that he had grown bored, far from it, there was so much he could still learn, but with the amount of times the words top secret and classified had been thrown around when he was approached, well he couldn't pass it up.

"No, I didn't get bored," he answered truthfully, "honestly they made this place sound amazing without telling me what I would be doing and I couldn't pass it up." Caleb shrugged as he answered, before adding on quietly, "Of course my mum wasn't too happy that I was moving to the other side of the world, but explaining to her that I could talk to her more seemed to make her smile. Now if she knew what I really did, well....I think she'd probably find a way to ground to me to my room again." He joked, smiling brightly at Claire.

The silly thing was he could still remember his mum trying that out on him, grounding him to his room, it had worked for all of an hour, he had just climbed onto his bed and slept. Not the most effective of punishments he had ever encountered but one that definitely stuck in his mind from time to time.

It was probably also some small look into what his own relationship was like with his parents, he had listened as Claire spoke of her own background, and culture. But him mentioning his parents, well that was just his own way of opening up a little bit. It felt nice, new in a way he hadn't felt for a long time.

He nodded his head as Claire said she had always wanted to be a surgeon, he understood that feeling now, "Could never see myself as anything but this now," he said quietly, "But had never really had that kind of goal, never really knew when I was a kid this was what I wanted to do you know." Which was true, yes he had taken a skill from when he was younger and applied it to serving his country, something he was eternally grateful he had, had not only the courage but the determination to do. He honestly didn't know what he would be doing or where he would be if he hadn't have taken that step forward all them years ago.

"Well got to keep the mountain talking about something, right," he said jokingly, he had heard some of the gossip that went around about him. Hell he had probably started some of the more outlandish rumours - but that was more just to see if they would actually spread than about boosting his ego - that went around.

He couldn't help laughing out loud as she said the part about no man ever matching up to him again, honestly if he hadn't known she was completely pulling his leg then he was sure he would have taken that as truth. Thankfully he could tell when she was joking around and that was definitely a joke, "That'd just mean you'd be stuck with me forever," he said, sporting his own teasing shocked face, "I mean even I don't think I could do that and we're talking about me." Before he winked and broke into another laugh again.

Honestly he had no desire what so ever to have one person tied to him for essentially the rest of his life, he didn't want that commitment, not again, not ever. He didn't think he could face what would inevitably be the heart ache that would follow and yes he knew that his own relationship had broken one fairly amicable terms. But when he got shore leave, when he got to go home that was when it kind of sat with him that he didn't have anyone to go home to. That was also when the need to find someone for the night kicked in, to not think about what ifs and might have been s, he was going to push on.

He pushed the thoughts away, and gave Claire another smile, "Two good people with excellent hands," he started to say, a teasing note in his voice, "you know what this means right? We can take over the world." He managed to keep a straight face for all of two minutes before he broke into a smile.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next