All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:02 pm 
Royal Navy

October 21st 2013

The mission had been going great, more than great, it was Caleb's first time through the Stargate and wasn't that a revelation in itself, his sink or swim test. Oh they had told him it was a simple mission, something had broken and he was the newest recruit that they could get to go out and fix it. Some of the other engineers had turned it down and pointed the higher ups in his direction, he wasn't about to say no.

So he'd packed himself up, geared up and gone through, it had all been going brilliantly, after stepping through the Gate for his first time - which took his own breath away - the planet had looked as similar to Earth as anything. Honestly if he hadn't just stepped through a giant ring in the middle of a underground bunker he would have said that he was still on Earth.

He had gotten right down to work, trying to fix together a broken weapon, that was so very clearly not of Earth origins, when the thing had back fired, sending not only him backwards onto his arse. Yes he could still hear the other team members laughing as he lay on the floor. But it also meant that something had caught him in his side, looking down his BDUs were torn, there was something not very big, about the size of a small phone sticking out there. It didn't hurt that much, so thankfully it looked like it wasn't in that deep, but it was bleeding a fair bit, his top was already soaked through.

So he'd been helped back through the Gate by one of the Sergeants that was on the mission, and helped down to the infirmary. A place he really didn't want to be visiting so soon, but hey it couldn't be helped he needed medical attention that much was for sure.

The Sergeant that had helped him through, rested him on a bed as he went off to find the doctor that was on duty. Whilst he was left on his own, Caleb took a moment to look around, it wasn't the first time he'd visited a medical centre, but he really hoped he could last more than a four days before visiting it on base.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:34 pm 
Beta Site CMO

Claire yawned. This was her seventh successive night shift, and it was beginning to tell on her. She had been at the SGC for six weeks now, six weeks in which she thought that she had seen everything possible, and that was without even having been offworld. She had treated a far greater variety of injuries in the last six weeks than she would have ever thought possible.

She glanced at her watch. A little after 2am, and, while she was only supposed to be the on call surgeon - and therefore curled up getting sleep in the on call room off the infirmary - Janet Fraiser had been called to an emergency on one of the accommodation levels, leaving Claire to man the fort until her return.

Taking a slurp of decaffeinated coffee - just in case she was able to get back to bed when Janet came back - Claire took another look at the draft rotas that she was in the middle of drawing up. The paperwork was the one part of the job that had always hated, and always would. She was a surgeon, not an administrator, but it was a necessary evil.

Her thoughts were interrupted by a voice calling out for a doctor, and, throwing back the rest of her coffee, Claire headed out into the main infirmary. "Sergeant," she said, noting the rank insignia on his sleeve. She had no idea of his name, or even which branch of the military he was with, but that didn't matter. "How can I help?"

The tall man cocked his head towards the first bed beside the door, which was now occupied by a tall blond man. A tall blond man who was bleeding all over the top cover. "Hit by shrapnel, we think, Doctor," he said, his words coming out in a rush. "He's bleeding pretty bad."

Claire nodded, and headed straight for the bed, tugging a pair of gloves from her pocket and snapping them on. "I'm Claire Te Atua, one of the surgeons," she said, her fingers already moving to the man's side, gently feeling for the edges of the wound, trying to find out whether the foreign body was still in situ. It was, and it was quite sizable. "What's your name, and can you tell me what happened?" She turned back to the Sergeant. "Thanks for bringing him down, I've got this."

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:25 pm 
Royal Navy

It wasn't five minutes later when a very nice looking Doctor came out to him, snapping gloves on as she did so, hell if he knew the staff in the infirmary looked that good he would have seen about making a trip down here sooner.

"Leading Rate Williams, but for you, you can call me Caleb," he answered offering her a cheeky smile, as the Sergeant rolled his eyes at Caleb's behaviour before leaving the infirmary. He was already starting to get the eye rolls, he had wondered how long it would take before people clued in to his sense of humour. He sucked in a sharp breath as the lovely Doctor Te Atua prodded at his side, he reached down and grabbed her hand, "As much as I love being felt up by such a lovely woman, that kind of hurts, Doctor Te Atua."

It was a default kind of reply, he slipped into flirting mode when hurt, when not hurt, when happy, hell the flirting mode was just his natural form. Besides the Doctor was quite a good looking woman, he just had a rule about sleeping with people he worked with intentionally of course, accidentally then all cards were off the table.

"Like the Sergeant said, shrapnel," he explained tensely, "Stupid piece of weaponry wasn't meant to back fire onto me. Who knew alien's had such dodgy wiring." Okay so he might have rambled a little at the end there, but his hand still hadn't let go of her arm, he was trying to stop the slightly burning sensation - one that had started since stretching out - from getting worse. That meant no one touch anything on his person till he could move himself without it hurting, and yes he knew he had heard all the military stoicism stuff before.

He just didn't want to be laid up for long time, not with it being his first week near enough at the mountain, he didn't want to get shoved back down to working on a Submarine. Not after just stepping through the Stargate and seeing a whole new world in a completely different galaxy.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:22 pm 
Beta Site CMO

Despite his injury, the soldier appeared to be in good spirits, and Claire chuckled as he replied in a cheeky English accent. "Well, seeing as 'Leading Rate Williams' is a bit of a mouthful, Caleb it shall be," she said, gently ascertaining the size and position of the shrapnel in the wound. It was quite deep, and its position meant that it could have nicked an organ or a major blood vessel, but the slow leakage of blood at least indicated that no veins or arteries had been damaged.

"I'm sor-" Claire's apology for hurting Caleb was interrupted as he suddenly grabbed her hand. She was about to whip her hand away when he made an off-colour remark. Usually, Claire would be perfectly professional, ignoring the ribald comment, but, quick as a flash, she twitched up an eyebrow. "There's a fine line between pleasure and pain, Caleb," she replied, a cheeky, flirty smile on her own lips now. "I wouldn't have taken a strapping Navy bloke like you for such a wuss."

She held Caleb's gaze for a few moments. His brown eyes were pained and almost feverish, and Claire knew she had to remove the shrapnel and get the bloke stitched up. She nodded as he explained what had happened. "You know what the weapon was made from," she asked, wanting to make sure that she wasn't dealing with anything toxic, or something that could cause issues upon its removal.

"You mind letting go of my arm now, mate," she laughed, nodding towards Caleb's torso. "And I know this is really, really forward, seeing as we've only just met, but you think you can take your jacket and top off for me, or am I going to need to play rough and cut them off?"

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:26 am 
Royal Navy

Okay so Caleb was definitely surprised at the come back from the Doctor, it was very unexpected, most doctors – especially the female ones – when he tried the flirting with them would just sort of look at him disapprovingly. So the comeback was a new one on him and it shocked him for a moment, enough so that he actually did let go of her arm so she could continue to work.

“I like my pleasure strictly pleasure, Doctor, no pain in involved,” he said smiling tightly, the burning hadn't decreased but it also hadn't increased either, it was just a constant now something that he was aware of. “Not a wuss, definitely not a wuss just ever had something in-bedded in you,” yeah that sounded way dirtier when he said it out loud and couldn't help huffing out a laugh. Yes he could make himself laugh with his own jokes, but when you worked a late shift on a Submarine on your own you started talking to yourself.

If he hadn't have been injured, Caleb would have rested right back on the bed and stretched his arms above his head as the Doctor suggested taking his top off. Instead he just gave her a full blown mischievous smile as he started to shrug out of the jacket, “If you wanted me out of my clothes all you had to do was say so, sweetie,” it was silly he knew that. But hey anything that helped get him through this was all right by him and flirting helped with a lot of stuff.

“No idea to be honest, it wasn't active at the time though, just normal metal components from what I could tell,” he explained, “didn't get a good enough luck before it....well before it decided to make me a new hole.”

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:57 am 
Beta Site CMO

Claire glanced at Caleb as she threw him the comeback, and grinned. Sometimes, the best way to silence someone was by coming back with more of the same. However, it looked as though Caleb wasn't one of those who was easily silenced, and Claire chuckled as he let go of her arm. She gave him an enigmatic look as he assured her that he wasn't a fan of pain.

"I'll bear that in mind, then," she replied, her tone light and jokey. If this was what it took to keep his mind off what she was doing, then so be it. It was nowhere near the worst topic of conversation she had had while treating someone. Some of the things that people wanted to talk about were just... well, plain fucked up. She couldn't help laughing, though, as he asked whether she had had something embedded in her.

"Now, that's hardly the kind of conversation to be having with a lady the first time you meet her, is it," she said, her voice containing mock-admonishment. Claire's face once again broke into a grin. "But then, I've never claimed to be a lady, so I guess I'll let that one pass."

Despite the obvious pain the man was in, Caleb seemed determined to smile and flirt his way through it, and Claire rolled her eyes at his comment on getting undressed. "Shame, I was looking forward to playing rough," she replied. "Here', let me help you with that." There was a seriousness in her voice now, her eyes softened with compassion as she gently helped him out of his jacket. "Are you going to be able to lift your arms to get out of your top?" The last thing she wanted was for Caleb to aggravate his wound by stretching too far.

Claire nodded as Caleb explained what had happened. "It's a shame you didn't know what it was made of, but we can send the shrapnel off for testing, and then update a treatment plan if needed," she said, standing back and waiting for Caleb to get his top off. "To save me a bit of time, is there anything you're allergic to?"

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:40 pm 
Royal Navy

As the jacket was removed and so very untidily dumped to one side, he'd only been in the damn jacket a week and it was already his favourite he was going to miss that jacket, he went to stretch his arms above his head. The burning sensation seemed to grow a little hotter at that, there was a definite black spot dancing before his eyes for a split second there, more blood seemed to fall from the scratch, as the arm was very quickly pulled back into the same position as it had been.

"I think Doctor you'll get your wish," he said, there was a definite tinge of pain to his voice now, "You get to play rough, just don't tell the lads yeah, I gotta reputation to keep after all."

Not that he exactly wanted a reputation so early on, on base, but well it couldn't be helped really, besides he didn't mind if something like that got around. There was always rumours floating around when he was on shore leave, the difference was that he could leave them ones behind, the ones he made here would more than likely stick with him.

"Not allergic to anything, unless you count you saying no to a drink when this is all done?" he had to try, it was only fair he gave her a shot at what was underneath all the rather bloodied clothing he currently wore.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:34 pm 
Beta Site CMO

Claire watched as Caleb tried to lift his arms, and noticed him sway, almost as though he was about to pass out. More blood seeped from the wound, and she gave him a slight smile even as he kept up with the flirting. "What, you mean you won't be telling your mates how you managed a bit of rough play on our first meeting? I'm not sure whether to be offended at that," she grinned. "Am I going to be your dirty little secret now?"

She didn't know why she was returning the flirtation. After all, it didn't mean anything. Caleb was her patient, and Claire was nothing if not a consummate professional. Who said she couldn't have a laugh while doing her job, though?

Relieved that Caleb wasn't allergic to anything, Claire nodded. It would make her job easier, as she wouldn't have to concern herself with whether or not he would have an adverse reaction to anything. She couldn't help but laugh, though, at his clumsy attempt to ask her on a date. "And what kind of allergic reaction are we talking about here," she replied, her tone pure cheek. "Just a blush and a burning shame, or are we talking full on watery eyes, accompanied by a man tantrum?" A beat of silence as she reached for a pair of shears and expertly sliced his t-shirt off. Nice body.

"Would your allergic reaction be worth shoving on YouTube? I mean, you can make a shit-ton of money if it goes viral." She cracked a broad smile. "Split the proceeds?"

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:49 pm 
Royal Navy

"I tell them that, they'd only get jealous then you'd have time for yourself," he said, wincing slightly as the shirt was cut from his body. Why did blood always end up making clothing stick to the body? Honestly he'd had scraped knees from when he was a child that did exactly the same thing, a bit of a blood and everything suddenly becomes like superglue. Actually he was thinking of trying to get to be a thing, figure out why blood was so sticky get one of the scientisty guys at the base to make some artificial stuff and ta dah he'd be rich.

"Of course that would also require me to have friends to tell them that." he added cautiously. It was true enough, he trusted the people he worked with undoubtedly (you had to in this job) but he wouldn't call any of them friends. Hell he wouldn't even call the Doctor currently stripping him a friend, but well the flirting was only going to last so long and there was something about the way she was flirting right back. Not many people would do that. "Curse of only being here for a week."

"Allergic reaction it's terrible, there's blushing, crying, snot going everywhere, it's not a pretty sight. You wouldn't want it going on YouTube," he said, laughing breathlessly. Seriously the shirt was off now, the burning sensation had kind of gone back down to how it was, and he was flirting with a nice looking Doctor, if it weren't for the injury he would have classed this as a normal evening out for him. "Okay, okay, if you're gonna split the money I guess I can concede to you filming me. How do you want me Doctor, on my back? You want to get the perfect angle for the reaction right?"

He wasn't sure all the talking was doing him much good at that moment, although he had very much locked his legs the moment he'd been leant against the bed he could very much tell that he wasn't going to be standing much longer. He also knew that he was quite a tall bloke, and there was no way, no matter how long the very nice looking Doctor had been a Doctor for, would there be a way she'd catch him. So he did the only thing he could think of, and let his body rest even more onto the bed, which meant that he was more leaning over backwards, stretching the wound out, making that burning sensation heat up once more.

"If it okay with you, am gonna sit down now?" he asked, half sitting himself on the bed finally and half sort of falling onto it. Not the most comfortable position he could take up but it beat falling onto the floor and onto the very nice Doctor that was flirting back to him.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:04 pm 
Beta Site CMO

"Well, I'm sure they'll all end up on a bed in front of my at some point," Claire replied, giving a huge shrug and a wide grin. "Shame nobody actually wants to!" Her voice rang with laughter, the shake of her head indicating that it was a complete and utter joke. She didn't miss Caleb wince with pain again, though, as she peeled his tee away from the wound. "Sorry," she muttered, balling the wrecked clothing up and tossing it onto the floor.

Claire blinked, tossing Caleb a disbelieving look. "Bullshit," she snorted. "I can't believe you don't have a list of friends already as long as your arm!" Taking a gauze pad, Claire pressed it against the wound firmly but gently, careful not to push the shrapnel in any deeper. "Can you hold that there for me please, keeping the pressure on?" She needed to prepare the instruments she would need to remove the shrapnel and patch him up.

"I've only been here a few weeks myself," she admitted. "You make friends pretty quickly, though." Well, she had formed a few tentative bonds herself, and she doubted that Caleb would be any different. Hell, with the way he was flirting, he'd have the women of the base falling at his feet in a heartbeat.

Gathering what she needed, Claire laughed as Caleb described an outlandish "allergic reaction". "Are you trying to guilt me into going out for a drink with you," she laughed. "Well, I couldn't be responsible for a reaction like that." She double checked the equipment she had placed on the trolley next to the bed. "There's a few of us going out to the pub on Saturday night, you're welcome to come along if you like."

Claire's expression was more serious now. "Actually, I want you on your side, so I've got full access to the wound," she explained, seeing him sway before leaning back more fully against the bed. This time, she ignored the flirt, more concerned with her patient than with how he was trying to tough it out.

"Up on the bed with you," Claire said, her voice almost stern. "I'm not going to be the one responsible for your arse hitting the deck. The paperwork would be a bitch!"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next