All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:25 am 
Royal Navy

Caleb resisted the temptation to laugh when Weir asked if they were willing to let there relationship be known, honestly his own reputation often ran rampant round the base, if the Doctor hadn't heard of something along the lines of him and Claire well she hadn't been listening to the rumour mill that well. Of course he also had to accept that most of the higher ups didn't really listen to the rumour mill or if they did, they tended not to believe it at times.

He did take Claire's hand in that moment before saying, “They can know, the expedition can know. Not to be rude but most of them probably already know half the rumours that circle about me.”

Which also translated into the fact that he had probably flirted with half the female expedition crew that was going, but none of them had taken it badly when he had done and he had most definitely not slept with another single person on base. Well besides Claire and that one time a long time ago with Tahirah, but no one else, he made it a point of not actually sleeping with people he worked with. He just tended to let the rumours spill around him as and when they pleased, he wasn't going to correct them.

Caleb looked to Claire, back to Weir before adding, “There won't be any issues ma'am, we have worked together out in the field when we were together before now,” he said referring to the Tollana mission, when there relationship had still been pretty new and shiny. “It doesn't interferer, and like Claire said, if it turns to...custard...we'll still be friends.”

Honestly Claire had some weird words saying that everything could go to shit at times!

He really didn't want to think how he would feel if it all did turn to crap in his hands, it was a worry that had plagued him for a while, and still at times when he let his mind wonder down that route. But he knew, knew that the both of them had been so hurt in the past, it was probably impossible that they were going to hurt each other like that. That wasn't to say there wouldn't be disagreements, surprisingly Caleb could see there being many disagreements in the future – no relationship was perfect at the end of the day – but he also didn't see them standing in the middle of the mess bawling and shouting about it.

Caleb knew they would keep any disagreements behind closed doors, and out of any missions they ended up being on at the time. It was a promise he made to himself and to Claire, if only in his head.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:16 pm 
Beta Site CMO

It surprised Claire greatly to feel Caleb’s hand sneaking around hers, and she stifled a smile as best she could. Asking whether or not they would be able to deal with their relationship going public in Atlantis was quite possibly one of the most ridiculous questions that she had ever heard. Still, she let Caleb speak, her hand resting comfortably in his, and not caring whether Weir noticed, or what she thought. Caleb was sounding as nervous as she felt, especially when he admitted to his previous reputation, a reputation that seemed as though it wouldn't leave him alone.

She gave his hand a squeeze, a tentative and hopeful smile daring to settle on Claire's lips. "It might not be common knowledge, no, but that's probably more to do with us deciding to keep it quiet," she explained. "We never hid it, not deliberately. We just... don't flaunt our relationship." Okay, so in New Orleans, they were a public couple, but that was because there were no expectations of them, and nobody knew about their jobs, or about Caleb's past. it had been easier to relax there.

Claire gave Weir a smile that looked more confident than she felt. "Honestly, it would be a relief not to have to feel as though we ought to keep things quiet," she admitted, giving Caleb's hand another squeeze. This was the first time they had openly displayed any affection in front of someone they worked with, much less a superior, and it felt as though a weight had been lifted from her shoulders.

Caleb's confidence had seemed to emerge all of a sudden, and he spoke in a clear, calm, controlled manner, explaining that they had worked together since becoming a couple, and it wouldn't be an issue. "Hell, Dr Weir, the first thing I did when we met was stitch him up," she chuckled, giving Caleb a fond smile. "That makes a pretty bloody solid basis for a friendship, and... well, we've built on it now for over a year. And, while I don't want to think that our relationship might not work out, I know our friendship will."

Claire had never felt closer to anyone, and she could only hope that Elizabeth Weir would show them a little compassion. She didn't want to have to lay all her cards on the table if she didn't have to. They would both much rather come to an amicable agreement with the expedition leader than have to force the issue.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:53 pm 
Atlantis Expedition Leader

Elizabeth watched the two of them, as they answered her questions. It was evident that the two of them were head over heels for each other, and Elizabeth would have had to be made of stone to not feel warmed by the obvious affection in the room.

It was obvious that Williams was aware of his reputation, however Elizabeth had made it her personal objective to not pay attention to the rumours that circulated any work environment, it didn’t mean that she didn’t hear them; she just didn’t base her opinions on anything other than her interpretation.

The two were adamant that they wouldn’t have issues with working together, and she was inclined to agree with them. She only asked the questions she did because they needed to be asked, and as the authority figure, she had to be the voice that spoke up.

“I wouldn’t want you to have to keep it secret, I would only ask discretion and professionalism, which I am convinced the two of you will be fully capable of”

Looking between the two of them, Elizabeth looked down at her desk, and fell silent for a moment whilst she considered any other enquiries she felt needed to be posed.

“You will not be the only couple on this trip, and I am aware that there will likely be others. I can’t stop it, and I wouldn’t dream of trying. We’re going to be building a brand new life out there, and relationships of all forms will be an essential part of that. So yes, I am happy for you to have joint quarters, although I’m sure you understand that I cannot guarantee what sort of quarters we are likely to be getting over there”
She laughed lightly at the last part. There were so many unknowns about what was going to be waiting for them in Atlantis, that just the notion of accommodation seemed remarkably benign to consider.

“Now that we have settled that matter – May I ask if you’re looking forward to the trip?”

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:53 pm 
Royal Navy

Caleb was all prepared to have to fight for them getting quarters on Atlantis, he actually expected Weir to, well not protest, but maybe deny them a little while longer. So the acceptance that they could be as open as was deemed professional whilst on Atlantis and the agreement they could share quarters.

That came as a shock to him as anything else, he looked from Weir to Claire the surprise evident on his face, he wasn't even sure if he had heard correctly at first. He was sure he had some how imagined the whole thing, but no the look on Weir's face, the next question she asked, that was all real, which if that was real then the whole sharing quarters was real as well.

The smile that crept across his face was much more him, than anything else that had been on his face since he had entered the office. He felt a thrill as he realised that everything was kind of slotting into place, making it seem that much more real. Everything up until that point had been 'talked' about, discussed in detail as he prepared to leave, it had pretty much been just talk and now, now everything was real. It was in touching distance and all he had to do was reach out and it would be in his hand.

"Erm...thank you Doctor Weir," he said, not sure exactly what he was meant to say. Or rather he had no words to describe to her his thanks at letting them share quarters.

"Definitely looking forward to the trip," he added, maybe with a touch more enthusiasm than was probably needed, but well he had been given the second best news ever. First Claire agreed to go with him, then Weir was letting them share quarters, if he wasn't a committed man in that moment he would have leant across and kissed Weir in thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:38 pm 
Beta Site CMO

Claire felt the tension building in her body as they were grilled by Weir. It wasn't going to be an easy decision for the woman, and, in her place, she would probably be absolutely stumped. To all intents and purposes, they had been together for just a few weeks, and would, at least to the outside world, probably still be in the first flushes of infatuation with one another.

To some extent, that might be true. However, they had their strong, deep friendship underpinning everything, and, with that to build on, they could get through anything. Claire gripped Caleb's hand more tightly as Weir appeared to stduy them more closely, clearly mulling over the decision that they had plopped into her lap.

Claire wasn't aware that she was holding her breath as Weir explained what she would be looking for in terms of how public their relationship could be, and the wheels started turning in her head as Claire realised where things were heading.

Her grip on Caleb's hand tightened, the smile on her face daring to edge up a notch, almost breaking into an incandescent grin as Weir pronounced that she was happy for them to share quarters. "Dr Weir, I don't care if we have to sleep in a bloody tent under the stars, as long as we're together," she replied, her voice almost choked with emotion as she gave Caleb the brightest smile she could imagine. "And yes, I know that's a very real possibility." She just about resisted leaning across and giving Caleb a hug, choosing instead to lace her fingers more tightly with his for a moment.

The question about whether or not they were looking forward to the trip took Claire by surprise, and she nodded, the smile still very much in place. "Nowhere I'd rather be headed to, to be honest," she admitted. "It's going to be one hell of an adventure." Claire's eyebrows twitched upwards. "And what about you? Excited?"

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:58 pm 
Atlantis Expedition Leader

It was impossible not to match the broad grins that faced her as she delivered her decision, and Elizabeth wished she could bottle the pure euphoria that seemed to permeate the room as Caleb and Claire were granted their wish.

It was such a small thing to ask for, given the gravity of what they were actually about to do, but still it was appreciated that they asked, and Elizabeth knew that whilst she had been forced to grill the two of them, perhaps more than she would have wanted to on a personal note, she respected that they’d both taken it with grace, and would honour her conditions.

“Yes I don’t doubt you there. Excited is definitely one of the emotions I’m feeling – Truth told I’ve done so much preparing, and paperwork, that it’s beginning to feel less like an adventure and more like an administrative trap” Laughing, Elizabeth leaned back in her chair and studied the two opposite her. She wasn’t eager to chase them out her office, their company being the only interaction she’d had all day, but at the same time the aforementioned paperwork loomed.

“Do you have much planned between now and the big day? Dr Te Atua, I understand you’ve been busy prepping a lot of our medical supplies – You must have earned a break by now?”

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:24 pm 
Royal Navy

Caleb couldn't really agree more to what Weir had said, it was like going on the biggest adventure ever, it reminded of him of being a kid once more, when him and his family use to go on holiday and when you were 6 years old it felt like the biggest adventure then. That was the feeling bubbling away in his stomach as he sat in the chair in front of Weir, holding Clare's hand, it was excitement that didn't want to be contained.

Caleb understood where Weir was coming from when she spoke of paperwork, honestly there was a lot of stuff that although he wasn't the head of any department, he still had a fair bit to sign over to the other engineers that were staying on base. So yeah he understood what the Doctor was on about, paperwork always seemed to be the price to pay for adventure, it had been the same when he had signed on to work for Cheyenne in the first place.

"Hopefully there will be less paperwork once we get to Atlantis," he said, smiling brightly. That was one prospect of moving to a different galaxy with the chance of only being a one way trip, that there would be no paperwork to follow them out there.

He looked to Claire when Weir asked if they had much to do before they left, they had been given leave before the mission happened and although they hadn't long come back from New Orleans, well Caleb knew there was two other places they had plans to visit.

"Family visits," answered Caleb, as though answering not only Weir's question but the inevitable one that Claire would ask. It was a solid answer, one that spoke volumes in terms of there relationship and where he thought they were in it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:29 pm 
Beta Site CMO

Claire felt more than a little relieved as Weir's smile appeared to match hers and Caleb's, and she squeezed Caleb's hand a little tighter. She couldn't quite believe that they had been given the go ahead to live together as a couple, go public with their relationship. While they hadn't been hiding it, per se, they had been keeping things as discreet as possible.

She gave an ironic smile as Weir mentioned the paperwork, and Caleb talked about there being less paperwork in Pegasus. "Dream on," she laughed, shaking her head. "A doctor's paperwork is neverending, and I don't think it'll be any different in Atlantis." It was the one part of the job she could do without, and, without administrative staff to support, she had no doubt that the amount of paperwork coming her way - and Carson's - would be huge. "It just takes away from the actual doctoring side of things, and it's the one part of the job that I've always hated, although it's a necessary evil."

"Yes, I've been collating the supplies," she said, shrugging, Despite the fact that she hadn't been going, she had still taken on the responsibility of making sure that the expedition was well stocked. It had driven her to distraction, all the while trying to decide whether to go with Caleb or not. She was glad now that she had said yes.

Claire smiled softly as Caleb mentioned family visits. They had only discovered earlier that morning that they would each be on leave for ten days from the following day. Initially, each had been going to visit their own families for a few days, before spending a couple of days together in Colorado. However, with some careful planning, they would both be able to visit both New Zealand and England, and, in the doing, meet one another's parents.

"We're heading to New Zealand first, then England, then back here for a day of rest before we're back on duty. How about you? Are you on leave as well?"

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2