All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:20 am 
US Marines

"No, any situation that can be summed up with 'my parents dumped me with Nana'. Not that I've never seen it, that sort of thing happens around my neck of the woods, but it's usually less of a decision and more of a state mandate." Taft wasn't passing judgment, his entire tone and bearing said he was treating it as an academic topic. And he certainly wasn't prying for what it was all about, if she said anything to clarify it was of her own volition. "I'd spoil you over him too, ma'am." He added the last word as the doors to the elevator were opening, just in case.

Taft tilted his head for a moment before shaking it minutely. "Where did he think you were going to find a 'good man' if not in the Marine Corp?" Best part of that question was that she couldn't argue the point, she was dating a Marine. "I... well, I can't speak for him on that point. I wouldn't want anyone thinking they had to replace me, though. I served so that others wouldn't have to, dying would just fulfill that obligation. Not create a space that needed filling." Well, that was part of the reason. Taft did have a sense of duty, the fact that it had also gotten him a few thousand miles from his father and mother was just a bonus. "Anything's possible."

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:54 am 
US Air Force

"I'd spoil you over him too, ma'am." Taft rumbled over the opening of the elevator doors.

She grinned, ducking her head slightly so that it wouldn't be quite so noticeable to a passerby. Thankfully, there were none. Tito may have wanted me to settle for a good man, Fia called over her shoulder with a sly smile on her lips. I want the best. Still think that's possible? She slipped into the elevator ahead of him, stopping to look pointedly at the camera mounted in the corner. She caught his pale gaze and, glancing back at the offending electronic, said only one word. Pity...

The idea of serving so others wouldn't have to, that certainly sounded like Tito. But then it sounded like most career military she knew. There was something more. I remember when I realized just how dangerous his deployments were. I was 13 and terrified I would never see him again. The next time he was on leave, I was awful. Crying, threatening, pleading him not to go back. Finally he sat me down and explained. He said that he did what he did so I, and the rest of the kids, could do what ever it was we wanted to do. By now Fia wasn't absently fiddling with the soda tab, she was looking down at it with her thumb running gently over the edge. And I did, all the way to Atlanta.

And now I serve so that Cara and Rico and Giovana and all the rest will have the chance I did. She looked up at Taft, still smiling though there was a hint of sadness about it. So not so much as replacing him, but following in his footsteps.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:14 am 
US Marines

"If you can deal with him being uglier than a dog-faced grimlin and his not being able to pronounce your name to save his life, I might know just the fella." His eyes followed hers to the indicated location and spotted the security cam, smoothly looking across the thing on his way toward the back of the elevator. "So it is, ma'am."

"My mom just said she'd come to live with me if I died. Death knows her, and has since taken pity on me repeatedly." He smirked at the amusing exaggeration of the facts around his originally joining. "My sister, on the other hand, likes to forward me this news letter she found about U.S. Military war crimes and the what not." Black sheep, always in need of the shepherd's attention, that one. "Atlanta?" If there was a significance there it was lost on him, aside from it being a Delta hub, and the source of an old Southern saying.

Taft smiled slightly, but didn't point out that her intentions aside her statement sounded like 'so they can decide to enlist in spite of me' to the Marine in the lift. "I'm sure everybody in the family is quite proud, either way."

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:44 am 
US Air Force

The look Fia gave him when Taft described himself as 'a dog-faced grimlin' clearly showed her disbelief. Yes he was not men's cologne ad handsome, but the neither were the men in those ads. They were touched up just like the women. Given the choice between the two, she would rather ruggedly handsome than pretty boy, no matter how nice he may smell. The name thing I can deal with, but if I am going to spend any time with a guy he'll need to be at least as handsome as you. Shallow of me, I know, but I'm the one who is gonna have to look at him across the table. She grinned over at him before answering his question.

Atlanta Georgia was were the summer Olympics were held. That was my dream, when Tito and I had that conversation. Rather short-sighted of me, considering the average age of women on the Olympic swim team was about 20. I could have kept at it, tried for the team again, but after Tito was killed it seemed selfish.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:24 pm 
US Marines

Well... Old English Leather possibly. Did they still make that? If they did he could pull that off. Maybe Stetson brand cologne if somebody could put him in the cowboy duds. Not that Taft cared about cologne in the slightest. "That's what I said, shooting parallel to the ground. Do you wear contacts?" That would be to his advantage, he could hide them whenever he wanted to romance her of an evening. He chuckled in amusement, figuring he had her going by this point.

He nodded. "I think the only thing I ever did that would have been Olympic worthy was horseback riding, but I'm a might long in the leg for English show and they don't do Western Pleasure that I'm aware of. They have shooting, but I was busy shooting at people by the time I found out about it. I've been to the Marine invitational a couple of times but I never focused on marksmanship enough to place higher than 7th. Takes a level of dedication to go to anything like the Olympics, you must be something real impressive in a bathing suit. Well... other than to look at."

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:00 am 
US Air Force

Nope, 20/20 vision. So don't think I don't see what you are trying to pull here, Sergeant Major. No fawning me off on pretty Lieutenant Colonels. I prefer my men to have a little more ... character. Fia peeped at him out of the corner of her eye, she was finding it hard not to grin at the banter.

Not as impressive as I had been, in both aspects. Fia chuckled. No-one was. That didn't mean a girl couldn't be impressive other ways, or impressed. The elevator bounced to a stop, bringing the almost private moment to an end.

It did not surprise her that Taft knew his way around a horse. If there was ever a man born in the wrong century it would be he. I've never tried Horse back riding. That could be fun. She offered a questioning look as she stepped out the doors, her smile a little more adventurous.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:22 pm 
US Marines

"Oh, character I have plenty of. If you mean character as it would apply to an old Chevy truck." Taft was well aware of the mileage he'd put on himself. If she liked him then all he could say was that he was glad she appreciated all the work it had taken to become this ruggedly weathered. Like an old Oak on a hill top in the middle of an open field. The sheer determination to continue standing more attractive than the Oak tree itself was. Of course, none of the praise affected his stance... but mostly because Taft couldn't stand any taller than he was at the moment. Parade, at ease.

Taft looked her over, turning his eyes back to the doors as the began to open. "I doubt you were ever as impressive as you are now. That wouldn't have been fair to the others Olympians." He'd seen those Olympics, if she'd been more impressive than she was at just that moment it's all they would have shown, whether she won or not. Like that track & field gal from South America who came in third from last but had more screen time than the gold medalist last time around. Television was predictable, part of why he never got to see an Olympic wrestling match outside of fat and lazy Rulon Gardner faking his way to a win over the very legitimate Aleksandr Karelin for the gold in Greco Roman, the bastard child of Collegiate Wrestling. "It's certainly not fair to the other women here."

He strode out of the elevator and it was business as usual as far as any onlooker would be concerned. At least on his part. Fia could be doing anything from blushing furiously to looking as imperious as Emperor of Japan. Nice guy, as Taft recalled. "It's not hard to learn, takes years to master. I used to have a couple back home but they passed away years ago. Probably some place out here that has them for riding but the Prairie Dogs are a real hazard."

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:20 am 
US Air Force

That last compliment, tossed over his shoulder as he left the elevator, caught her by surprise. It shouldn't have. After all he had been nothing but attentive, discretely, since appearing in her door. That he was attracted to her wasn't in question, hadn't been since that first kiss. It was being told that she was more impressive than the likes Samantha Carter that flummoxed her. Major Carter was smart, tough, and downright gorgeous. Fia had only been here days before realizing just how many of the men here were crushing on the Major. To be placed in the same category was flattering, but to come out on top... The idea gave her pause long enough that she had to jog a few steps to catch up with him.

Fia forced her mind back to the conversation at hand, though the sparkle in her eyes revealed she wasn't done thinking about what he said. She may never finish that thought. It is probably something I should at least pick up the basics of, considering how many low tech planets we visit. Better to have the knowledge and not use it, than to need it and not have it. I know marines are trained to improvise, but have you ever found yourself in a situation where knowing something atypical, like horseback riding, helped?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:48 pm 
US Marines

Taft was thinking about the logistics of a horse. They were expensive, especially the ones that were worth a damn. He didn't need a pure bred or anything, of course, just a decent mix would do for a riding horse. Something good natured, patient, and calm if he was going to teach somebody to ride on it. Which was what Fia wanted. He was sure there were riding schools about but he was also sure she wanted him to do the job and that those schools would be equally uninterested in letting Taft teach her on one of their horses. And he'd likely not entirely agree with how they handled the teaching. Ask ten horsemen how it's done, get eleven answers.

He could always buy a decent horse, he had the money and knew what needed knowing not to get ripped off and to get the right horse for the job. The problem with that came back to logistics. He had to feed, shelter, and tend to the animal from that point on. Expensive, expensive, super expensive, respectively. Not to mention inconvenient, seeing as he rarely went back to his house. He'd get there often enough with Fia in his life but nowhere near daily and you couldn't leave a horse untended for more than a day, not and be able to call oneself a horseman at any rate.

And, of course, all of that was before one worried about the tack, vet bills, and horse trailer.

Taft glanced at Fia with his unreadable Sergeant face and nodded. "I'd be happy to show you." He supposed he'd have to start working up some favors with some people, a tactical challenge considering he knew none of the right people in Colorado. He'd have to make some phone calls back home and see if he had any indirect references to work from. It was doable, but he needed to use somebody else's property to do it. "Yes, I have." He'd answered her question before he even thought of a specific incidence of needing to do so. He was certain it had come up at some point in his long and illustrious career.

"Tracking, of course. The practical realities of growing up in the farming community teaches you a lot of incidental things. I've talked with offworld locals about everything from crop rotation to animal husbandry. A lot of them calm way down when they see we are more than another set of soldiers sent by a being they'll never meet. The ones that need the most calming are usually the ones that have seen the most Goa'uld, so it's a good thing to be able to talk about things that concern them. I've also noticed that, no matter where we go in this galaxy, a lot of life tends to be universal. Plants, animals, people, we tend not to vary too much from what would be considered Earth-normal from our point of view. Know something about plants here, you know it about plants on countless other worlds."

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:05 am 
US Air Force

Ah yes, Colonel O'niell's pine tree theory. Fia chuckled. She hadn't made it off world yet, but she had devoured all the mission reports as well as any video footage. She could see where the colonel got his theory, though it was more of an opinion than a theory. It seemed nine out of ten worlds they visited had recognizable vegetation, at least on the outside. Testing had shown that while the plants were not exactly the same, they were similar enough. Possibly similar enough for her survival training to not be a complete waste. Fia resolved to gather some of the off world pine bark and needles to test for edibility. I wonder if anyone has done a comparative study on survivalist edibles... She mused, more to herself than to Taft.

By that time they had reached the Mess Hall doors. She paused, on hand on the wood. You coming in for a sweet tea or have I delayed the head rolling too long?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next