All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:11 am 
Atlantis Expedition CSO

Rodney turned his head enough to stick his tongue out at Carson childishly. He didn't care that he was a grown adult and shouldn't act like that. If Carson was going to pick on him like this, then he could handle Rodney dishing a little bit back at him. He liked the doctor, though why he was harping on him so much at the moment, he didn't have a clue. He hadn't bugged Carson in weeks! He huffed a little before turning back to Caleb.

"You're going to Atlantis?!" Rodney asked, as he brightened. He liked his guy. Even if he was military, and he normally didn't get along with military types. "Or, you're thinking about going. That's fantastic! You should say yes. Unless you have some big obligations here on Earth. If we're right and we've actually got the Gate address for Atlantis there's going to be so much to explore. And we're going to need good, understanding military personnel. I've heard some of the choices and some of them don't understand scientific curiosity. And if you're a weapons expert... we'll probably find all kinds of information on Ancient weapons. Maybe even a weapons cache. Wouldn't that be cool?" Rodney paused to take a breath, doing better with the pain after the first two stitches.

"As for the security cameras, they have a blind spot where the glass was broken. And we didn't know about that. But we're going to rectify that situation soon enough. I have a tech team working to fix the issue in the labs. All of them. How Carter could have missed that. It's important to have a record of all the research in the labs. And if something were to happen in them and we lost data, we'd still have the video recordings. But she's not in charge of the cameras and base seciruty so I don't hold it against her. She's brilliant scientist in her own right."

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:44 am 
Royal Navy

The excitement Caleb heard in McKay's voice over the prospect of going to Atlantis, made Caleb smile, and turn away slightly all at the same time. The man might be able to ramble on, but he'd hit the nail on the head with that, yes Caleb desperately wanted to jump up and say yes he was going to Atlantis, but he had to talk to Claire first. Actually he realised that was one of the reasons he'd come down to speak to the Doctor in the first place, not just because of the prospect of having the gene, but to also get an idea of what it was going to be like. Caleb hadn't really been involved in the higher up meetings when people had been discussing Atlantis, so any information he could get was a bonus in his book.

He was beginning to think that maybe he had overstayed his welcome a little bit in the small lab now, with McKay there asking all the questions about Atlantis, hitting a little too close to home for Caleb. Caleb shifted in his seat, he felt the awkwardness from himself and knew that at least the Doctor was going to pick up on that, even if McKay didn't.

“Yeah, that would be pretty cool,” he said in response to McKay enthusiasm about the prospect of a weapons cache. Yes it would be so awesome to actually find something like that, to get his hands on something that wasn't just damaged Earth weapons, Tok'ra weapons or trying to backwards engineer a Goa'uld weapon. It would give him a sense of actually helping out, not that he didn't help out already because he did, but it would be that something more. He just, he just remembered that he still had to tell Claire about this meeting and about what ever decision he made. Caleb couldn't just jump up and go 'hell yes am coming' no matter how much he wanted to.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:49 pm 
Atlantis Expedition CMO

Carson rolled his eyes. "Grow up, Rodney," he sighed, even as he tended to the Canadian's wounds. Sometimes, the man was pure exasperation, and this was one of those days. He couldn't believe that he was going to be headed to a whole other galaxy with this bloke. He'd have to make the best of it, he supposed, even if the man was more annoying than any other man he'd ever met.

He carried on with the suturing, even as Rodney and Caleb bantered back and forth about Atlantis. He couldn't help feeling that Caleb had had worries that he had wanted to raise with him, but, since Rodney had interrupted, he felt that the opportunity had disappeared. This was a pure and simple McKay act, turning everything around so that it was all about him.

Selfish arse.

Carson flickered a glance at Caleb. "Are you going to need an appointment, lad," he asked, hoping that Caleb would get his meaning. He would hate for the soldier to make a decision without considering all the angles, and, if he had feelings for Claire Te Atua... well, that was something that would need to be worked out before he decided to move to a whole other galaxy.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:11 am 
Atlantis Expedition CSO

Rodney groaned as Carson finished stitch him up. He was relieved the ordeal was over, though a little confused by the Scott's irritation with him. He'd apologized! And Caleb seemed to like him. At least a little. That had to count for something. Right? Right!

"Thanks, Carson. As soon as I'm done here I'll be gone. I know how quick you are so this shouldn't take much longer, and you can get back to whatever you two were discussing before I so rudely interrupted. I'm really sorry about that, by the way," Rodney said as he looked over his shoulder at Carson briefly before turning back to Caleb. "And if you ever want to test out new weapons or knock around ideas for one, I'm available. Most of the time," this time he chuckled slightly as though sharing a joke with the other two. "Thanks again, Carson."

Once Carson was done applying cream and a bandage to Rodney's hand the Canadian stood and made for the door. He paused just before he left. "Oh, and Caleb? You just let me know and I'll make time for you. I like you. You're not all uptight like a lot of the military around here. You have a good attitude. I'm fairly certain you'll do great no matter what you choose. And you can take that to heart, I'm a genius after all." With a shit-eating-grin Rodney winked at Caleb and disappeared out the door, making sure to turn the lock as he pulled the door shut behind him to prevent any further interruptions. He could snag painkillers from the Infirmary later if he really needed them. He had work to get back to!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:59 am 
Royal Navy

Caleb shook his head, no he wasn't going to need an appointment, his plan of action was to get this blood test done, talk to Claire, get his results and make his decision, well that was the plan anyway. He might be feeling a bit guilty at the thought that he wasn't currently telling Claire what was going on, but he wanted to make sure he had this Ancient Gene and find out more about Atlantis before agreeing on the dotted line.

So as McKay rambled and rambled on enthusiastically Caleb kind of remembered that same enthusiasm when he first joined the SGC. The prospect of walking into something he didn't completely understand, it was thrilling and exciting, something he wanted to experience again.

He looked surprised as McKay was finally finished getting stitched up, got out of his chair and locked both himself and Doctor Beckett in the room. Caleb knew he had a reputation but it was purely a reputation that encompassed women only, he couldn't quite suppress a chuckle as the scientist made an abrupt exit as he had done entrance.

“I gotta ask, he always like that yeah? Full of energy? Like a five year that's eaten too many Harbio sweets?” he asked, smiling. He might actually take McKay up on his offer of working together in the future, especially if he ended up on Atlantis.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:13 pm 
Atlantis Expedition CMO

"Goodbye, Rodney..."

The tone he used was long suffering, and, in truth, Carson was glad to see the back of the man. What had gotten into him tonight, though, with the jollity, made him wonder whether or not he had been taken as a host by one of the more miserable of the Goa'uld. It would certainly explain the change in temperament.

Either that, or the man was drunk.

Carson snorted with laughter to himself. Nope, definitely more likely to have been taken as a host.

Waiting until Rodney would be far enough down the corridor not to be heard, he shot a grin at Caleb. "No, lad, he's usually the most miserable and arrogant git on the face of the planet," he admitted. "I'm not quite sure what's gotten in to him, if I'm honest." He took a few seconds to come back to himself, and to come back to the topic at hand.

"Now, where were we before we were so rudely interrupted? Oh yes, you're here for your gene strength test, aren't you?" Carson frowned for a moment. "Was there something you were trying to ask me before Rodney barged in?"

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:05 pm 
Royal Navy

Caleb sighed as he remembered exactly what he had wanted to say before McKay had burst into the room, it was still as prominent in his mind now as it had been twenty minutes ago. He just, he understood the Doctor needed to know most things about him to be able to go to Atlantis, hell he'd probably even heard the majority of the rumours about Caleb. But he wasn't sure if he was going to end up stepping over a line if he brought the subject up again, he ran a hand through his hair, rubbing at the nape of his neck.

"Claire Te Atua, you've probably heard the rumours going round by now," he started speaking quietly, at least with the door locked he knew they weren't likely to get interrupted any time soon, again. "She's the one am concerned about leaving behind if she doesn't agree to this," he fidgeted in his seat a moment before carrying on, "I know people say don't make big life changing decisions if something bad has just happened, if I end up agreeing to go and she doesn't, how are the top brass gonna feel about it? I also realise you are not actually that kind of Doctor, I apologise I shouldn't dumped that kind of crap on you."

Yeah there went his own rambling again, something about the possibility of leaving Claire behind made him act in this crazy kind of way. He also didn't really have any close male mates that wouldn't just think he would be okay with leaving Claire high and dry, so yes he unloaded on the good Doctor. He now felt bad about that.

Sighing he said, "Forget it, I probably shouldn't have said anything, know fraternization isn't a problem. But....yeah just forget it," he tugged up the sleeve of his jacket he was wearing, looking imploringly at the Doctor. "You wanted blood right? That's how you test for it?"

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:59 pm 
Atlantis Expedition CMO

Carson might not be a psychologist, but he was astute enough to know when someone had something on their mind, and Caleb had appeared weighed down with something when he had come into the lab. He kept glancing over at Caleb as he cleared up after McKay's little accident, and the man definitely appeared nervous.

A small smile, a shrug, a nod. "Aye, I'd heard something," he admitted, before returning to what he had been doing. He could understand the man's reticence to commit now, if he was leaving someone behind that he cared about, especially someone who had been asked on the expedition but had, so far, not given an answer.

"Why would the higher ups feel anything, lad," he asked, honesty coating his words with a bitter honey. "Your relationship with her isn't breaking any rules, and it's up to you whether or not you go, with or without her. It's your decision alone." It would be a hard pill to swallow, but he had to be honest with Caleb. He owed it to the man - and to Claire, really. Maybe he'd have a word with her, see if he could get an answer from her. At least then he could tell Caleb.

He chuckled as Caleb apologised. "Don't worry, lad," he replied, his blue eyes twinkling. "Just ask Claire. Us doctors get asked all sorts, and hear all sorts. It comes with the job." He arched his eyebrows upwards. "We already know you have the gene, we're just going to work out how strong it is." He smiled in appreciation as Caleb rolled up his sleeve. "Just a wee drop, if that's alright?"

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:12 pm 
Royal Navy

"I don't want them thinking if it got around that we'd split, and suddenly I'm going to Atlantis, that it was because of that, that I was leaving the galaxy," he answered truthfully. Caleb didn't exactly advertise his and Claire's relationship, hadn't really done much more than arrive at the mountain together - although that was enough to get some tongues wagging it seemed - but he also wasn't going to hide it. So yes when people asked about it, he made notions that they were together, it was just most people didn't ask about it. But even the higher ups talked, they would of heard about it, they could essentially put a stop to it, or at least whatever shrink they assigned to the Atlantis case would not let him go.

And wasn't that just the kicker, he suddenly didn't want to be told no, that he couldn't go to this far away place, that deep down some part of him would be incredibly hurt if he was told he couldn't go. It looked like he'd made his decision, if only to himself for now, it had been made and yes he had unloaded on the Doctor but somehow it had helped. "It's my choice," he repeated back to the Doctor.

"Yeah take as much as you need," Caleb answered, feeling better in himself now that he'd said all that out loud. "You say only a small amount but I know you Doctors, there'll be hundreds of vials done before I leave here."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:53 pm 
Atlantis Expedition CMO

Carson's gaze was serious, and he held Caleb's eyes for a few seconds before answering. The poor bloke was finding it hard to make a decision, torn in different ways for different reasons, and all that he could do would be to give him all the options open to him. "And if you do go to Atlantis... wouldn't that be the reason for the split," he asked, wondering whether he was missing something there. "I assume you and Claire haven't talked about it?" That was a stupid question, if ever he had asked one. Of course they hadn't, not if Caleb didn't know that Claire had been asked weeks ago.

"Aye lad, it's your choice," Carson replied, his voice quiet and a tiny little bit sad. It was a hard decision for Caleb to make, and he wondered how many people that decision would hurt along the way. Who knew, though? Claire Te Atua may yet decide to take up the position as his deputy, although the longer it went without her having given a decision, the less likely it looked that she would say yes.

Prepping a syringe and two vials, Carson shook his head and smiled. "No lad, just the two vials," he said, grabbing a rubber tourniquet. "For speed's sake, we'll use the tourniquet. I don't want to keep you from your duty." He grabbed a rubber ball, and handed it to Caleb.

"Squeeze this, please."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next