All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:22 pm 
Australian Defence Force

A crowded mess, a late arriving Aussie and a tray full of what the Yanks optimistically called 'food' made for an awful lot of standing around and looking in vain for a place to actually sit down and eat the stuff.

Most of the tables Jess could see were full, either of civvies or military, never both, or set out in some kind of DMZ of at least one chair between either group. It was an interesting dynamic, one that appeared all too often on mixed bases. It made you long for seperate living areas for civs like you got in theatre, if only to keep away the shitty atmosphere.

There was a table with a couple of seats free, but with Taft, Sullivan and two Captains she didn't know, there was far too much scrambled egg and salt there to even consider going within five metres of the place. Another table full of USAF Non-Coms was also quickly discarded. A third, which seemed to consist entirely of USMC Lance Corporals, made her actually turn around to not make eye contact. All of a sudden scram and salt didn't seem too bad an option compared to the alternatives. At least there would be other officers.

One of the two Captains, a female, suddenly left the table and headed for the coffee line, which created an opportunity to divide and conquer. Or simply to avoid talking to more people than necessary. Making a beeline for the small group, Jess put on her best impression of disinterested nonchalance.

"You guys don't mind me parking my arse here, right?" Wasn't really a question, seeing as her arse was already firmly parked at the end of the little group and wasn't planning on moving until she was done, but it was polite to at least give them the option to tell her to piss off. Even if she had no intention of actually doing so, it was still polite.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:02 pm 
US Marines

The other Captain left, and another woman with a funny accent arrived. Robert looked at his watch. It was time to go. "Go right ahead... I should head out anyway. I need to finish some work so I can leave at a good time so I'm home when my ex brings my daughter." he said.

Then he stood up, picked up his still full plate and dropped it off on his way out.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:01 pm 
US Marines

"Good luck, Captain McCauley. If you ever have an issue getting that worked out, call down to my office and I'll make sure you get home on time." He knew those kinds of problems. The woman who seated herself got a hard look in the face, then he leaned out so that he could see her name tag. He pulled a notepad out of his pocket and wrote something down before replacing it. Then he started working on relative rank between Australian and American military. The approach had been rude, the question cursory, and her general demeanor since seating herself unpermitted disrespectful. Taft turned his body to physically exclude the newcomer from the remaining trio (when Fia returned). If she wanted to sit there, she was welcome to sit there alone.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:36 am 
US Air Force

When Fia returned to the table she wasn't surprised that one of the guys had ditched. There was truth to the saying 'discretion was the better part of valor'. She was, however, surprised to find a woman had joined them. Well, sat at the table. The Sergeant Major was definitely giving off some 'my side, your side' vibes. Regardless, Fia gave her a friendly nod and smile as she breezed past. It was what Fia did.

She sat back into her seat, one leg tucked up underneath her. Leaning forward on on both elbows, she cradled the warm coffee mug in her hands and smiled at the men remaining. So, What are your answers?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:09 am 
US Marines

"If that is what it took to complete the mission, ma'am, I'd be the one giving the order while fulfilling it." He wasn't coming back with a mark on his record just because some native folks were weird. He'd eaten things he couldn't identify in Afghanistan, grown a beard for one tour, and drank the most disgusting excuse for coffee he'd ever encountered while learning to never use his left hand or show the bottom of his feet while in Iraq. Pulling off his General Issues wouldn't even flare on the radar in the realm of difficulty. It just wouldn't have been his preference in the matter. "And you?"

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:24 am 
US Air Force

Thats about what I figured you would say. Fia smiled over at the Sergeant Major, trying to not follow that train of thought. Here was definitely someone who she could trust to follow orders, and someone who would get the mission done. Some part of her hoped they would mission together. Some other part of her was still stuck on other things. As would I, though I would be about as red as this classified stamp. She answered, tapping the mission folder in front of her.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:19 am 
US Marines

"A minor inconvenience all things being the same, wouldn't be the first time I had to crawl into a bedroll stark naked." Of course, it had always been while drying his clothes over a fire or something along those lines, a necessity rather than a pleasantry. Politics were weird and that experience had just reinforced the opinion. Taft then looked at her face and unfocused his eyes enough to imagine her face gone danger red. "It's not like strange is restricted to out in the galaxy. Before I came to the SGC I remember we were sent one time to pick up a high priority target, a Taliban quartermaster that had accidentally let his trip to Bangkok slip. When we kicked in the door on this ratty hotel he was using we found him tied to the bed face down with a lit candle... well, between his cheeks."

"Never had a Jihadist so quiet on the ride back to command. No rhetoric, no curses, no eye contact."

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:36 pm 
US Air Force

Fia's mind latched on to the image Taft described of himself and sprinted for the depths of indecency. It might have made it too, if the Sergeant Major hadn't also taken the moment to really look at her. That stopped most all thoughts dead in their tracks. Thankfully Taft continued on with his story, and her mind had a moment to reboot. By the time it came back on line, he was already on to a very different and far less pleasant image.

That must have been a blessing. Usually you can't get them shut up, I've always wondered if it was worse when there is a woman on the team. The things I had been threatened with were quite... inventive.

Last edited by Fia Serigliano on Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:02 pm 
US Marines

"They get worse around females because they're embarrassed. Don't know what to do when a woman sees them not in a dominant position, or whenever they might be subject to her authority. That's why they have female debrief experts, those guys string out so bad that after a few days of it you can send a guy in to commiserate and they start spilling like they're glad for the opportunity. As long as they can claim they weren't broken by a woman." He shrugged, he'd watched the spooks do that one time from a distance. It'd worked and hadn't resorted to anything that would have necessitated a restricted file. Dehydration, humidity, mental strain, then switch interrogators and boom the fella was spilling the beans.

"But the best prisoners are the ones who are converts, learning Arabic but not quite fluent in it yet, when they start trying to preach at you and are blubbering gibberish at you so fast you couldn't understand them anyway." Taft finally took to eating his food, straight out of the officers mess. Just like it was the most normal thing in the world.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:12 pm 
US Air Force

Sounds like we worked different ends of the situation. Most prisoners I dealt with were damn happy to see us, and couldn't wait to get back home. Their captors on the other hand, they weren't so happy to see us. Not that they did for long... A small smile flitted over her lips. Fia looked down into the coffee mug, swirling the liquid around. She got the impression that this was someone who would understand that what she said was a statement not a brag. To work in her field, Fia got good at doing things that are questionable to the average Joe. But if she didn't do them, then there would be no average Joe to question her. She would happily put up with the questions.

Mine's the kind of job that you love to do, but really wish you didn't HAVE to. But then I think that would go for most combat soldiers.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next