All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:56 am 
US Marines

"I wanted to be a Marine, was full of piss and vinegar, so I signed up right out of High School. The bus was waiting on me when I walked across the stage. Every Marine a rifleman, or so the saying goes. Turns out I was pretty handy with said rifle so they kept me in Infantry. Ended up in Force Recon, took a personality test along the way called 'war' and Uncle Sam decided I was suited to something a little more refined and less televisable. War ended, though." He took a sip of his tea and the shifting of the ice informed him he was closing in on the end of his meal time.

"I had to get a friendly Captain to shift me over to the Military Police, where I took every certificate they would offer to fend off forced decommission, used my benefits to stay out of the way and pull a college degree during Clinton's draw down. Then Bush jumped the gun and picked two fights at the same time, and Obama has added work on the table. When Iraq and Afghanistan kicked off I was invited to the Marine Raiders Regiment, got another promotion, and did that until the SGC came for me. I got my bump to Sgt Major a whole year earlier than I could have even hoped for, and no more worries about peace time discharges."

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:27 am 
US Air Force

Fia was pretty sure the Sergeant Major was still full of piss and vinegar, even after everything he had done. The list was impressive but not really surprising. In a way she envied his knowing who and what he wanted to do while still in school. Just about the time he was striding off the stage, she had been trying to figure out where one went after reaching the Olympics. She spent a good three years without direction. Sometime she wondered if that was what lead to her restlessness and the need to do something important. Sounds like you found your calling early on, and now you've found your place. I just hope the SGC is as good a fit for me as well. I'd hate to have to find ANOTHER career track. She smiled, not really too worried about it. If there was one thing she new how to do it was adapt.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:58 pm 
US Marines

"Momma was a school teacher, daddy was a former soldier turned mechanic, it was one or the other out of three choices. I took the one that combined the other two. Shipped off, haven't looked back. Except when mom tracks me down to bend my ear about something my sister did." Taft set his glass aside and looked at her. "Well, as much as I'm enjoying this, and I am, I do have to get back to work. Gonna hike to the top of the mountain and wake the sentries for a surprise inspection." He stood and offered a handshake to Fia. "It was good meeting you, ma'am."

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:15 am 
US Air Force

Fia stood when he did. She had figured he would have to go sometime, what she wasn't expecting was the twinge of disappointment at his leaving. Really, girl? You just met the man. Smiling, she took his strong hand in hers, ignoring the tiny jumps in her pulse. And you, Sargent Major. Thank you for making the newbie feel welcome. As for the sentries, Her smile turned into a grin. Givem' hell.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:38 am 
US Marines

"As ordered," he gave a salute at her 'give them hell' comment and walked away with a dark chuckle.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:40 am 
US Air Force

Sitting back down, Fia rested her chin in her hand and watched him walk off. Sergeant Major Taft, She etched the name into her memory. He certainly turned out to be an interesting sort. While she knew she could talk to most anyone, that was probably one of the easiest conversations she'd had in months. He had lots of stories, and a dry sense of humor that she could appreciate And he was ruggedly handsome, certainly filled out his BDUs nicely, especially from this view.

Fia's face slid down until her hand was covering her eyes. Fiametta Kara Serigliano, get a grip on yourself! What are you, 14 years old again! She couldn't help but laugh at herself. It had been quite sometime since she had even toyed with the idea of a relationship, physical or otherwise. They had just never seemed to last, either work or faith getting in the way. Obviously her body had decided it was through waiting...

Shaking her head, Fia slid the next mission file over and flipped it open. She really needed a good cold dip. Sooner, rather than later.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5