All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:09 pm 
US Marines

"You extracted people who wanted to be extracted, I extracted people who would fight us to the death to prevent us from extracting them if we gave them the chance. Assuming we were there to extract them at all. Sometimes we were there to get a good look at their face before a very expensive airplane dropped a very expensive bomb on them. Internal security, counter insurgency, counter-narco terrorism, and occasionally hostage extraction but that... was usually from a pile of dead hostage takers. We're not sent for our subtlety. Raiders don't even scout, we use the very amusing terms Special Reconnaissance and Deep Reconnaissance, usually paired with the objective of "preparation of the environment" or the like."

Taft sipped his tea and nodded at her description of her job. "We recruit for crazy, it's why we start off Marines."

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:55 pm 
US Air Force

Fia couldn't fault that logic. Every marine she met was indeed a little on the intense side. Even Tito had his moments, though they were more frequent the older they had gotten. It had been that the first few nights of leave, Tito spent at home with Fia and Nana. After a while in the service, that changed. Those nights were often spent crashing at old friends houses before coming home. It wasn't until she had walked in his boots that she understood. He didn't want to bring the demons of his job home to his family. Luckily, or not, She didn't have that kind of home to protect from herself.

So Sergeant Major, just what is your brand of crazy? Fia cocked her head to one side, trying to figure out just what about this particular soldier had hooked her imagination so. He was handsome sure enough, in a unconventionally gruff way. There was a bit of a drawl in his low voice that was nice to listen to, but really he was not the kind that usually go her attention.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:15 am 
US Marines

"Good question. Don't think I ever picked a particular kind that appealed to me more than any other... any suggestions, ma'am?" He tilted his head, mirroring her head position as he attempted to figure out what it was that was clicking between him and the Captain. They had held similar jobs, a lot of the same kind of danger in their experiential pasts. Taft was also trying to come up with a better answer to her question than simply asking another question. Or what she was really asking.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:12 am 
US Air Force

The return question caught her off guard, and Fia chuckled into her mug. Well I think we can cross out any of the extreme sports. Something tells me you have done worse. You also don't strike me as an adrenaline junkie. The suggestions that came to mind were indeed crazy, for her. Once again it seemed her mind was headed for indecency, only this time is was trying to sneak there. She corralled it back with a stifled cough. Maybe you should warn me what kind you have experienced and we can go from there. Wouldn't want you to have a repeat experience.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:26 am 
US Marines

He considered what she was really asking again for the second time in as many volleys but decided to go for broke. "Hm, already done... skydiving, hiking, a workout blitz to put P90X to shame, studied abroad, driven all of my dream cars, broken bones, been shot, stabbed, cut, and choked. Oh, and in the interest of full disclosure, I've also been married and divorced twice." Just in case that made a difference to her, some people changed their tune immediately and others seemed to never understand why he'd mentioned it in the first place. He wasn't certain which one was the better reaction.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:20 am 
US Air Force

Well, some may consider having married twice a level of crazy, but the rest of it sounds fairly normalish. She hoped he wouldn't take that as a censure. While divorce was never something she would do, she had no right to judge others. Besides, it was slightly reassuring that he had this effect on at least two other woman.
Comparatively, and in fairness, I've skydived, rock-climbed, hiked, done almost every kind of watersport there is, competed in the Olympics, broken bones, been cut, stabbed, not shot, yet. And had one hell of a case of the bends. So... Fia rested her chin in her hand and looked at him with a humorous smile. That either make you normal or me crazy.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:35 pm 
US Marines

"They'd have a strong argument to stand on too. Neither represents the best decision making I'd ever made but from time to time you have to... just do some things. Learn from experience and the like." He'd long ago come to terms with his marriages, their failings, and their endings. He was actually pretty happy with the ending of the first one. That chick was a wreck these days. "Give it time," he responded to the bit about not having been shot yet. "You're hanging out with the right crowd."

He leaned back and eyed her for a long moment before deciding there were too many options to guess properly. "Which sport? I was a passable wrestler back in High School but nothing Olympic quality." Taft had gotten too practical too quick to continue with any combat sport weighted so heavily in rules and appropriate practices. "Swimming?" He'd extrapolated from the bends comment. "If it weren't for people like us the rest of the world would look nuts."

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:00 am 
US Air Force

"Give it time, You're hanging out with the right crowd."

Oh good, something to look forward too. She replied, with no little sarcasm. She already had several scars, including a rather nasty looking one on her thigh. She didn't need bullet scars to be self consious of too.

Somehow the revelation he had been a wrestler in high school did not surprise her. The way she understood it, there was a lot more individual discipline required. Something she was sure the Sergeant Major had plenty off. In a way it was yet one more thing they had in common. While there was an aspect of team competition to swimming, the person you were truly trying to beat was yourself. Individual Discipline. What gave me away? Yup, Women's 400-meter individual medley. Placed 8th altogether, not a bad showing. But really after that, there was nowhere to go. There is no professional level swim competitions in the US. Besides I got a little distracted, elisting and all.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:07 am 
US Marines

"I wouldn't recommend it, I'm told anticipation heightens the experience and all I recall is a distinct desire for it to be duller." He shrugged, indifferent to the memory and any potential for it to be repeated in the future.

Taft made a gesture with his fork while chewing, a rolling motion like he was rewinding the tape. "You mentioned a terrible case of the bends, I bounced a guess off of that. Plus you have the build for it." He snorted in amusement when she mentioned getting distracted by enlistment. "Did you start off enlisted or go straight to OCS?"

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:56 pm 
US Air Force

I delayed entry until after graduation, when I decided to sign up I only had a little more than one semester left. Then into OCS. It seemed the surest way to end up where I wanted to be, an SERE Instructor. Fia grinned, knowing this wouldn't earn her any points in the Sergeant Major's book. Honestly, she was surprised he was still sitting and chatting with her, pleasantly surprised. Her second cup of coffee was well emptied, but she had every intention of sitting here until he left. At the moment he was far more interesting that the pile of mission folders al most forgotten on the table. So did you sign up with the intention of becoming a raider? or was it just fate?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next