All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:28 am 
US Marines

His eyes followed her gesture, looking at the chair for a long second like it was debris by the road side. "Checking for traps," his second ex-wife used to say. Part of her claimed reasoning for wanting out of the relationship. He couldn't keep the marine out of his normal self and he'd been terrible at trying to find a way to tell her the marine -was- his normal self. He'd always wondered what had made her think there was some part of him other than the marine. But while thinking of that he had determined the offered seat to be just an innocent chair in a secure facility, so he headed over.

His fellow Sergeant, Sullivan from Australia as he recalled, introduced him to the woman and Taft gave her another nod. "Ma'am," he said by way of greeting before returning the nod of the other Sergeant with that same acknowledgement of the well learned reality of being a Sergeant and knowing it was the same crap all other Sergeants had to put up with. A Lieutenant was a Private who'd been taught to hold the delusion that they knew what they were doing. Taft and Sullivan had both suffered through that delusion more than once, they were brothers in that endless war. He looked back at the Captain when he learned her name, because it sounded familiar but he couldn't put his finger on it yet. He'd work on that in his head for a while.

"It's a pleasure to meet you, ma'am. Welcome to the SGC." He made a habit of knowing the names of everybody 'above' him. It helped ease things a bit. Taft's eyes slid to Sullivan, however, when the man started what sounded like the word 'snake' in reference to him. He raised his eyebrow in silent request for clarification on that slip up. He had the suspicion it was an Australian thing, but he'd heard the word used in American forces a few times too and it was rarely positive. Then Capt. McCauley was there, greeting them. "Operating at regulation efficiency, sir."

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:15 pm 
US Air Force

At the Sergeant Major's reply, "Operating at regulation efficiency, sir.", Fia's smile bloomed into a grin. Please, have a seat. She waved to include both in her invitation. Not that one really need an invitation in the mess, it was just polite. If there was one thing her Nana instilled in her, it was polite.

Watching as the new arrivals settled in, Fia was struck by the youthfulness of her fellow captain. Atleast 8 years her junior, he couldn't have held this rank very long. She didn't begrudge him his rank. She had no doubt he earned it. It was just in contrast, it reflected on her performance. Her lack of forward movement was her own fault really. It was just that she really didn't enjoy command. She was good at it, but she didn't enjoy it. Second in command was more her speed. She expected to be a Captian for some time.

Taft on the other hand, was far from youthful, not that he was old. Taking into account the life he had obviously lived she wouldn't put him more than four or five years older than she. So now that I have a good sampling here, I've got a question for all of you. What's the weirdest thing you have come across while posted here?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:03 pm 
Australian Defence Force

He offered a quick “sir” and a slight nod for McCauley as he approached. It was a hairsbreadth less than he’d afforded Taft perhaps, but respectful all the same. It seemed Alex was quickly finding himself outranked at the table. Times like this he almost missed the snake pit, the non-commissioned mess, for the simple lack of rank it afforded. Thankfully the SGC was a lot more relaxed in that regard than most American military outfits he’d worked with in the past.

"You mean beyond the giant, rippling puddle that dematerialises your atoms and flings them halfway across the known galaxy?” He still wished he hadn’t been read in on that part. Knowing the science behind it wasn’t nearly as comforting as the eggheads thought it was. "I haven’t been on too many ‘weird’ missions, so I’m going to be boring and say encountering my first Jaffa has to be up there. That whole kangaroo stomach pouch, baby bodysnatcher thing they’ve got going on’ll never get unweird.”

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:18 pm 
US Marines

Robert repressed the urge to chuckle at the Sergeant-Major's answer. That's what he liked to hear. "Good job, Sarn't Maj'r. Let's keep it that way, then?" Sergeant-Majors and their regulations. "Just don't go yelling that my 'moostache hairs is in violations', or that my 'shirt is out ee regulations'" he said, smiling. He didn't have a mustache or anything. He just felt like making a joke. During his time as a platoon leader in Force Recon, there had been a Sergeant-Major that had pretty much been a second Sixta. He had left the Battalion a few years before Robert had joined, but from the stories he heard he knew that the two could have been identical twins.

Then Robert sat down at the invitation. He hung back a little in his chair to be comfortable. Then the subject got to the weirdest things they had encountered here so far. He agreed with the Sergeant, and let out a slight chuckle at the man's experience with the JAffa.

"Weirdest thing, huh? I am joining the Sergeant here in saying that that 'gate' is pretty weird. Besides that though, I'm afraid mine doesn't involve anything alien-related, rather than a drunk Airman. I've been helping out the Security personnel the last few weeks, and we arrested a drunk Airman that had streaked and was running around the base butt-naked." Robert said. A slight smile crept up on his face.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:17 am 
US Marines

Captain Serigliano grinned at his statement and directly invited him to sit, which had Taft displaying a slow burning smile of his own as he took the offered seat, to her left. And then Captain McCauley was broadcasting humor and Taft produced the regulation amount of appreciation straight out of the unofficial NCO handbook, not too much but enough that it didn't look like he was stone walling the higher ranked officer. "I aim to maintain, sir." His eyes flickered to the younger Captain's upper lip, then his shirt, just in case but there was nothing out or regulation about either at that particular moment. Hammond had been very specific about his definition of 'relaxed' before he'd unleashed Taft on the unsuspecting base.

That Captain sat down and then the question was popped. Weirdest thing, he discarded three or four items that were still under consideration for restricted access before he settled on one that had continued to bother him even after it was over. "One of the geographical survey teams stumbled into the locals' graveyard of ancestors, caused a misunderstanding, and one of them ended up with a pretty rough made arrow in their buttocks. My fire team was sent to protect a second go at a first contact, and when we arrived we discovered that the locals had decided to change their approach too. Their medicine woman decided the best way to prove they meant no harm was to make sure there was nowhere for them to hide weapons. When we arrived on their world there were approximately 60 completely nude individuals milling around in the clearing in front of the gate. Until we overcame the language barrier they insisted on staying that way. Took three days. And they had a tendency to squat when chatting."

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:56 am 
US Air Force

Fia was feeling more at ease. Reading mission reports got her the information she needed, but not the heart of it. It was stories like these that she loved to hear. She could sit and listen to them for hours. In fact she had. Many nights had been spent listening to 'no shit there I was' stories, and tell a few. Though if she were to be honest she rather enjoyed the listening.

The Jaffa story she had been expecting. The streaking Airman, well she had been in the service long enough to have seen her fair share of those. She was not prepared for sixty naked squatting natives. By the time Taft finished, Fia was laughing loud enough to be heard at the next table. Oh my! What a reception! Did you ... ah... show them equal courtesy? The image that flashed through her mind caught her by surprise, and she could feel her cheeks pink slightly. She just hoped that the guys would assume it was from being unable to catch her breath.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:13 pm 
Australian Defence Force

Alex grimaced at that particular mental image Captain Serigliano just not-so-eloquently crafted for them with that remark, definitely topping the top list of things he really didn't need floating around his headspace. Perhaps not as high in the rankings as that human centipede movie perhaps, but still managing to etch out a respectable position within the top twenty five.

"You do realise some of us were eating, ma'am?" He pushed away his tray as he spoke, although he'd practically finished by this point anyway. He was a soldier through and through at the end of the day, very little could dissuade him from finishing a hot meal. "No offense to the Sergeant Major, but there are some images that are just better left unseen if its all the same. A bunch of sweaty marines squatting in the buff is definitely up there, front and bloody center."

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:45 pm 
US Marines

The Captain saw the Sergeant Major check him out. He knew that there was nothing wrong, though. He had shaved this morning, and as usual his olive green shirt was tucked into his pants. His jacket was over that, and he had closed it today. He was as neat as could be expected of a Marine.

The Captain let out a chuckle at the Sergeant-Major's experience. In order to shut himself up, he took a sip from the purple kool-aid. He was still smiling as the other Captain asked the Sergeant Major if he had joined the natives. Then the Sergeant said something. Robert turned to the man.

"You clearly have never heard of Boot Camp. he said to the Australian Sergeant. "However, I am inclined to agree with the Sergeant here. he then continued.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:56 pm 
US Marines

"Absolutely not, ma'am. But I did have to go around and confiscate over a dozen recording devices off the rest of the team before we went back through the gate. And the two females on the expedition were the worst offenders, I think it was three months before those two got their stuff back. Without the photos, of course." He chuckled, greatly amused more at the fact that he'd amused the person asking the question than at his own story. He usually wasn't a good storyteller, but that one had gone surprisingly well. Good that he hadn't gone with the molecular deconstruction thing. Honestly, he liked it. Felt like a new man every time he came through the gate.

Taft hooked a thumb at McCauley when the other Marine gave the response that he'd been about to give himself. "It's been known to happen, but at the end of the day it wasn't happening anywhere that spears had flown. I felt it best if we just gracefully accepted that their ways were their ways and our ways were our ways. They understood."

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:10 am 
US Air Force

And if they hadn't? She grinned, her eyes taking on a vivacious twinkle. She loved these kinds of discussions, the ones where you find out what makes your fellow soldier tick. Not only was it insightful, but it would let her know just how far she could trust any of them.

Seriously. If they had demanded equal respect, demanded that your team go buff, to prove your peaceful intent. Would you? Would any of you? I have no doubt what ever diplomat or egghead was in charge would, I know my answer and I am pretty sure I know yours. She pointed to the sergeant major with her mug. Again that same image from earlier flashed through her mind, and she tried to hide her embarrassment in a swig of coffee. Only to find the mug was still empty. Standing, she tucked the mission folders under her arm. Think on that, I'll be right back.

Fia made her way across the now crowded mess, and queue up for access to the coffee urn. She resisted the urge to look back at the table and see if any of the guys were going to take the chance to duck out before she got back. Not that she would blame them, after all they had all only just met and here she was asking some pretty personal questions. The answers would prove interesting, though.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next