All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:06 pm 
US Air Force

Sept 18 17:30

The mug of coffee in front of Fia was unsavable. Not only was it motor oil grade mess coffee, it was stone cold. Not that she could tell, she had sat down at the table 10 minutes ago and still hadn't taken a sip. When Major Davis had approached her two weeks ago with an opportunity, this was not what she expected. Interstellar travel? Aliens? Even worse Aliens masquerading as gods? The pile of unassuming manila folders at her elbow were going to be interesting reading. Warily, she flipped open the top one. An incident report detailing the first incursion of the goa'uld, a mission report of earth's response. Nana always said if you want to really understand something, start at the beginning.

Three files in, and she was hooked.

Last edited by Fia Serigliano on Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:37 pm 
Australian Defence Force

Lunch at the SGC was almost a military operation in of itself, with a sea of green fatigues descending on the mess hall like a pack of locusts, devouring everything and anything in their wake. It was almost impressive, especially given that the food was pretty much standard military fare. The kind of grub that made MREs almost look palatable.

Still, as Alex gradually shuffled his way down the line, he couldn't find himself really faulting it at this particular moment in time. The off coloured mess splatered across his metal tray, while distinctly unappealing to the eye, was nevertheless a godsend at the moment. A thought his stomach grumbled in agreement with. He just needed to find a place to sit and he'll be golden. With that in mind...

"Ma'am, you got any complaints if I steal this seat?" The Australian asked a rather snowed under looking Captain, a small smirk flashing across his lips as he recognised that bewildered, yet fascinated look upon her face. He should, he'd been wearing only a few months before. Hell, he was probably still wearing it. He doubted anyone really got used to this place, not even SG-1. "Helluva read, ain't she? You got the report on P3X-866 yet? Starts to get real trippy around that point. Well... I guess more trippy would be accurate with this place."

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:18 pm 
US Air Force

A rumble with an aussie accent pulled her out of her reading. 'Well they did say it was a multinational endeavor.' Standing by the table was a sizable slab of soldier balancing a mess tray. He had the rugged look of someone who had seen a few active tours, a look she knew well. She scanned him over for indication of rank, but being unfamiliar with Australian military, she settled for a wave and a smile. No complaints here.

She closed the folder, needing a break from reading. It was all so ... trippy, indeed. More trippy than an intelligent crystal doppelganger?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:56 pm 
Australian Defence Force

"To the tune of the Creature of the Black Lagoon, yeah." Alex responded as he slid into the seat directly opposite the captain, the metal tray in his hands scarcely touching down before the Australian was moving to dig in on his... Well, chicken surprise would probably be the safest guess, although the exact particulars of his meal were lost on him. He'd just selected the dish that looked less like it was made out of repurposed gym mats.

"From all accounts, the fella they encountered wasn't nearly as photogenic as the Jack Arnold version, though." He continued between stolen bites, both trying to keep himself occupied from dwelling too much on what exactly he was eating and doing wonders to highlight the fact the old adage of an army marching on its stomach was as apt today as it was when it was first coined. "Didn't commit to the Frankenstein style stagger either, so it wasn't exactly as traditionalist as far as monsters go. Still, they dad some pretty nifty tech that could play havoc with your memories, so I guess they had to trade something off to even out."

There was a lazy roll of his shoulders at that, a half-hearted shrug as the hunger in his belly was slowly starting to be sated. Perhaps not entirely given the fare, but enough that he felt comfortable enough to glance up at the woman opposite him for the first time since he'd sat down, allowing himself to really take note of her. "It's Sullivan in case you were wondering. Alex Sullivan. I take it you're the new captain... Ah, Serigliano?"

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:20 pm 
US Air Force

How he managed to say so much while inhaling food, and not choke, Fia had no idea. That's me, fresh off the truck. She chuckled. and so not expecting what I've been reading in these files. I'm not quite sure what I was expecting, but this wasn't it. The world has gotten so much bigger, and perilous, and fascinating. She paused to take a swig of coffee, and was surprised to find it empty. 'And distracting' She mentally add, placing her mug back down. It's like finding out that the monster guy isn't in a rubber suit and is really intent on killing you.

Fia leaned back in her seat, finally taking a look about. The mess had certainly filled up since her arrival. The air was filled with all sorts of chatter. One table roared in laughter at some coarse humor at the expense of one of them, another was in deep debate and throwing around terms that could only have been scientific. While the atmosphere was intent, it wasn't intense. She knew what soldier sounded like when they thought they were fighting a losing battle, this wasn't it. They still had hope.

I think I remember seeing creature from the black lagoon. Growing up there was a program on every saturday called the 'creature double feature'. I loved it. Godzilla, Rodan, and my favorite Gamera. We haven't run into him out there have we? Large Flying turtle with sparks coming out of his shell?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:01 am 
Australian Defence Force

Alex dipped his head in acknowledgement, knowing all too well what she meant. He’d been all too ready to believe this was some incredibly elaborate practical joke when he’d first been read in, and even now he could scarcely wrap his head around half of what he’d seen first-hand since joining the SGC. It was humbling, disturbing and downright terrifying all at the same time. It was also the most gratifying and interesting assignment he’d had in years. Swings and roundabouts, swings and roundabouts. "The world seems to have stayed the same to me, ma’am. It’s the rest of the galaxy that’s the problem. It’s gone and got itself awfully crowded all of a sudden.”

He skewered another mouthful of mystery grade chicken with his fork as he spoke, outwardly turning his attention back to his tray while keeping casual tabs on the Captain before him as she took the rest of the mess hall in. In truth, beyond gleaning her name from scuttlebutt, he didn’t have much to go on in regards to her background. Clearly Air Force, but hardly a cockpit warmer or desk jockey. The way she presented herself was far too relaxed and at ease with the special forces personnel that surrounded her to be either of those. He would’ve guessed security forces, but she didn’t quite seem to fit the standardised, stic- up-the-ass mould they seemed to pride themselves on confirming to.

"I’m not sure what it says about our job that I can’t rule that out completely,” He remarked, his attention flicking back to the conversation. "But I don’t think we’ve come across any giant flying reptiles. Yet.”

There was another shrug of shoulders as the Australian leant back in his chair, giving his stomach a momentary reprieve while it attempted to cope with the influx of military cuisine. "Of course, I’m barely a fraction of the way through, so I could be wrong. I wouldn’t be surprised if we had. Seems everything else is out there, looking to either take over your brain, eat it or just melt it with mythological references. Maybe all of the above.”

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:41 pm 
US Marines

David Taft came in shaking his head, finally off duty. He'd just come back from dressing down a pair of his security officers that being posted to the top of the mountain didn't mean eating and watching youtube videos on their cell phones. Even if they could get decent signal up there. Army guys, sure, but what had actually made it worse was the fact that he'd hiked all the way up there without trying to be sneaky at all and still caught them red handed. It was embarrassing for him, as their command end point, and so he made it the worst hour of their lives by PTing them right there, at high altitude, while doing their jobs for them. That was his way finding the silver lining.

Taft stepped into line, waited his turn in spite of several soldiers asking him if he wanted to move to the front to which he always shook his head in the negative, and when he made it there he smiled at the lunch lady, bantered, and came away with a nice piece of lemon and herb chicken breast. Non-com he may be, but he was -the- Sgt Major. Never hurt to make the service people smile, either. He came out of the kitchen and grabbed a glass of sweet tea before looking for an empty seat or at least a couple of peers. That was when he happened to make eye contact with a woman he didn't know. He blinked, she was pretty and that was his first thought even as his eyes flickered about her uniform.

A Combat Rescue Operator, he recognized the flashing of a fellow Strategic Command member instantly. He hadn't seen one of those in... it had to be 18 months. One of the few products of the US Air Force he had complete faith in, and a solid portion of respect for. He gave her a respectful nod, but not because she was an officer. SpecOps could almost be its own branch of the US Military, there was an aire of "I'm only doing this because it's expected of me" to the banter that went on between Operators of different branches when they found themselves in proximity that wasn't there for those of the lesser specialties. Then he made a half-hearted second glance around for a likely place to sit. Non-coms didn't impose upon officers.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:56 am 
US Air Force

The room continued to fill, to the point she almost felt bad taking up a seat just for an empty cup of coffee. Almost. The truth was she enjoyed being around people. An off shoot of growing up Italian in the north end of Boston, she was sure. She loved the noise, watching their interaction, People were just fascinating. Just when you think you understand humanity as a whole, along comes one that makes you question everything you thought. She expected she would have lots of questions, not only for the job, but for the people.

She smiled at the list of mental hazards the Aussie rattled off. So, remember to tinfoil lining in helmet. And a gorget may be handy too. She mimed making a note on the pile of folders. So tell me, Sullivan, How does a soldier from the other hemisphere end up under this mountain?

Just then her gaze landed on the marine. There was no other way to describe him, and judging by the collection of stripes on his sleeve, he had been a marine quite some time. If the Aussie here was rugged, the sergeant major was positively weathered. The deferential nod told her more about him than anything else. Somehow, she was already awarded a measure of respect. Now she was curious why. Maybe it was the curiosity, maybe to was because in a way he reminded her of Tito, but when his gaze swung back her way she returned the nod and tilted her head to indicate one of the empty seats at her table.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:14 am 
Australian Defence Force

"Sins of a past life, maybe.” He offered with a flash of that distinctly lopsided grin and another shrug of those broad shoulders. "I’d like to say it was down to them wanting to recruit the best operators on the circuit, but I’d imagine it was largely down to them ticking that multicultural box. I just happened to have experience working with US special forces, both in Afghanistan and here, so I guess it seemed like an easy fit.”

Speaking of Special Forces, Alex’s gaze shifted past the captain as he noted Taf’ts approach, suppressing the familiar flash of hand-in-cookie-jar-ism that always arose from the sight of a superior officer. Well, superior NCO. People like Taft weren’t born, they were manufactured. Standard issue, jarhead badass. Ramrod discipline included. The kind of soldier that gave you almost Vietnam-esque flashbacks to your bootcamp drill instructor, although he strongly doubted that Taft would need to shout to get his own way. A man like that could probably do more with a whisper than a full on, I-didn’t-know-they-piled-shit-that-high style rant.

"Sergeant Major,” Alex greeted cordially, giving the man a curt, yet respectful nod of his head. While the pecking order between enlisted became more relaxed as you advanced through the ranks, especially between SpecOps, there was nevertheless still a pecking order. As convoluted as the SGC structure was, what with the influx of various branches, to say nothing of the foreign services, in the grand scheme of things it was a pecking order that Sergeant Major David Taft sat firmly atop of.

"This is Captain Serigliano,” He gestured between the two with his free hand by way of introduction, his stomach not quite full enough to warrant relinquishing the fork from his other. "Captain, this is Sergeant Major Taft. He’s top snake --- Ah, I mean, the senior NCO on the base.”

Last edited by Alex Sullivan on Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:16 pm 
US Marines

McCauley was rather hungry. He had been working all day without a break. It had been a busy day, and he was now starting to regret helping out the security forces. It did give him some valuable insight into the field, though. He never knew how complex it was to work in base security. He had always taken it for granted. From now on he'd show just a bit of extra respect to those men and women.

The Marine strode into the mess hall and went straight for the counters. As usual, they weren't serving anything he'd buy out in the 'real world'. The Captain settled for a dish that looked like french fries and meatballs. Not that he could ever be sure.

On his way to find a space to sit, he saw a group of people. He recognized one of them as the Sergeant-Major. A Marine like him. And he'd come from Force Recon as well. The Captain approached them, and as he got close he recognized the rank insignias and said "San't Major. Captain. Sergeant? How are you doing today?"

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next