All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:32 am 
US Marines

September 17th, 19:45

Captain McCauley had just finished a long shift. On its own, not a big deal. The problem was the mountain of paperwork he had to push this evening. He hated paperwork. 'T was the life of a Security Chief, though. Had he really given up a Recon Company for a lousy security detachment? He felt like he could do more than this, and was even thinking of finding out how he could return to the Marines if he wasn't assigned to a Gate Team soon. He was wasting his talents.

Speaking of his talents, Robert needed to practice his Russian some more. It's a tough language to learn, but at least the Captain could speak it semi-fluently now. It had come in handy to learn it a few years ago, when he worked alongside a group of Russians.

In the mess hall, after getting some chow, he began to talk about himself in Russian. "I am Robert. I am a Captain in the United States Marine Corps. I am 29 years old. I live in San Diego, California. My daughter is six years old."

It was basic stuff, but he had no idea what else to say.

Last edited by Robert McCauley on Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:57 am 
Civilian

Despite her shift long being over, there was little sign that Ruth was going to head home. There was a tasty little translation sat on her desk, just calling out to her, and, even though she knew she ought to be getting home while she had the chance, Ruth just couldn't tear herself away from it.

It was with the utmost reluctance that she had torn herself away from her desk to get some food. The mess hall was relatively quiet, and, having grabbed herself a bowl of soup and a crusty bread roll, looked around for a quiet table. Heading for an empty one in the corner, she brushed past an unfamiliar soldier, and she heard him talking away to himself.

In Russian.

An amused smile slid onto Ruth's lips as she paused beside his table. "Привет. меня зовут Рут , я живу в Колорадо-Спрингс. Я работаю как лингвист. / Privet. Menya zovut Rut. Ya zhivu v Kolorado-Springs. Ya rabotayu kak lingvist." *

* - Hello, my name is Ruth. I live in Colorado Springs. I work as a linguist.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:56 pm 
US Marines

Robert was still talking as a woman -a pretty woman at that- sat down at his table. Within a moment she spoke Russian to him as well. Robert needed a quick moment to translate what she said, and as he did he smiled.

"Ruth the Linguist then... As you may have heard, I am Robert. he said, still in Russian. Talking to someone in Russian was perfect practice! And who knows. He might need it again soon.

"So what is it that Ruth the Linguist does around here, besides... Linguisting?" He said this in English again, with the Georgia accent that he had retained even though he'd barely been home in ten years.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:27 pm 
Civilian

Ruth smiled, taking a seat opposite the young soldier. He continued to talk in Russian, to formally introduce himself. She broke off a piece of bread, and cocked her head to one side. "Not bad, keep working on the accent, though. It's a bit... mangled at the moment," she said, a smile on her lips, and her tone not unkind. "Your accent will not only identify where in Russia you come from, but will inform the inflections on some words, which can completely change the context, or even the meaning itself." Linguistics 101.

Dipping the piece of bread in her soup, Ruth popped it into her mouth, chewing thoughtfully for a moment. "I'm usually found in the labs, labouring over some translation or other. I guess I'm just a one trick pony," she said with self-deprecation. "What about you, Robert? Aside from learning Russian, where does your cog fit into the great machine that is the SGC?"

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:47 pm 
US Marines

Ruth was kind to explain the accent and all that to him. She didn't need to do it, but she did. He just had to point one thing out, though. "Yeah, but I'm not from Russia" Robert said as he let out a chuckle. As it ebbed away, he grabbed his mug and took a sip from the lukewarm, day-old coffee.

"Right now? Duties unassigned, though I've been helping out security. As for the past, Marine Corps Infantry." he said. "I wish it were a bit more excited, but alas... I hope to be assigned to a team soon, though." Optimism. He just had to think positively.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:28 pm 
Civilian

Ruth shot an amused eyebrow up at Robert. "Oh hon, if you ever went to Russia, you'd understand," she smiled, dipping her spoon in her soup and taking a tiny sip. Too hot yet. "The last thing you'd want would be for a Muscovite to think you were from St Petersburg, or someone from Yekaterinburg to think you were a Kiev native." It would be better to be an obvious foreigner than to stir up certain tensions. After all, you never really knew who you were talking to.

Ruth nodded, dipping another piece of bread into her soup. "I guess you've not been here long, then," she asked, just waiting for confirmation. He had "newbie" stamped all over him. "Just be prepared to take all the crappy security duties they throw at you, manning the shooting range, things like that - you'll get there soon enough." She knew that all too well, even though, sometimes, it still felt as though she was paying her dues, only for the fresh meat to get all the decent offworld opportunities.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:48 pm 
US Marines

Robert looked down at his coffee. Drink it or not? The Captain decided to just drink it. He's had worse. The explanation of the accent trouble in Russia was interesting, although he still thought it wouldn't be of much influence to him. "It's that bad over there? I mean, Russia's big, but I didn't know that there were tensions due to accents?" Robert knew that there were people over here that didn't quite agree with his southern accent, but it just seemed different to him.

"I've been around for a few weeks now..." he said. Yep. He was just about as new as one could be. "It's not like I have a problem with doing security. It's just that it's a step down from my previous outfit in terms of pace. Where once I was out in the field a lot, I'm now stuck in an underground base..." He wasn't trying to complain or anything. He just wanted to get back into activity. "I'm sorry. I don't mean to complain"

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:42 pm 
Civilian

Ruth chuckled, shaking your head. "Not exactly, but once you're identified as someone out of town, you're fair game," she explained. "Tourists get a little more leeway, because the police come down harder on crimes against tourists. Gotta make a good impression, otherwise the visitors stop coming." Okay, so it maybe wasn't as serious as it perhaps sounded, but if you were a tourist in Russia, it was best to sound as "generic" as possible, if you couldn't fake the local inflection.

Ruth nodded, taking another tentative sip of soup, and finding it a much better temperature. "Thing is, everything about the SGC takes a lot of getting used to," she explained. "I've been her over eighteen months now, and every day is different. "One day, you might be guarding the stargate itself, the next you could be on a planet on the other side of the galaxy." She smiled, an easy, reassuring smile that told Robert that his concerns were nothing out of the ordinary. "One day, you'll be cursing the peace and quiet, hon, but the next, you'll be wishing for your guard duty days!"

Another piece of bread, another dip in the soup, another quick chew. "For a soldier, this is probably the most varied assignment you'll ever get." She knew from talking to Jake that he found there was never a dull moment.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:19 am 
US Marines

Robert had never been to Russia. And he wasn't exactly thinking of ever going unless he'd be there on some kind of mission or something. If he went on vacation, he'd probably go to some nice and warm country and lie on the beach all day. He couldn't add anything to this particular point, though. So he just nodded and kept silent.

"And guard duty isn't even my assignment" he said, grinning. He'd just been helping them out. Running along, making sure nothing happens. He really was hoping something would happen soon, though.

"I don't know... Recon Marines get a whole lot of variety too, you know. I've seen a whole lotta desert so far" he said jokingly.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:42 pm 
Civilian

Ruth shrugged, shaking her head, a few stray tendrils of hair slipping from her ponytail. "You better get used to doin' whatever they tell you to here, hon," she said, a slight smile on her lips. "Doesn't matter what you think you're gonna do. Chances are you're gonna be doing that, and a whole lot more." Okay, so maybe she was an exception, but even then, there had been times when Ruth had been pulled away from her translations to do more than her job description covered. She wouldn't have it any other way.

Snorting, she coughed back on some soup that had gone down the wrong way. "You'll get to see some more, too," she remarked. "And rainforests, and industrial planets, and more rainforests... did I mention the rainforests?" The fact was that a lot of planets were similar to earth, just not as populated or technologically advanced. That made for some incredibly wild, incredibly beautiful places.

"So what brought you here? What piqued your interest?"

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next