All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:41 pm 
US Marines

"Hey, I'm a Marine. This is way better than suffering the Green Weenie" he said. His mention of the green weenie made him laugh. He wasn't sure wether Ruth would understand it, but he laughed anyway.

"Rainforests, huh? I guess it's a popular vacation destination these days then?" Robert smiled. "Well, Uncle Sam told me report here, and so I did. I guess they needed a Recon Marine for something, but have since changed their mind and aren't sure what exactly to do with another green, mean, killing machine" he said, going for a quick joke.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:44 pm 
Civilian

Ruth frowned a little. "Green weenie," she repeated, her tone questioning, even though she knew she probably didn't really want to know the answer. If it was anywhere near as obvious as it sounded, she hated to think what Robert meant by it. She wasn't a prude at all, but was more comfortable talking like that with people she knew well.

She gave a small smile. "Think Pacific Northwest kinda country," she replied, taking another piece of bread and swirling it in her soup. "Some of the reports I've read show some real incredible scenery." She sounded almost wistful, and made a mental note to maybe start planning a trip up to Washington State, or maybe even British Columbia in her next time off.

She took another sip of soup, and gave Robert another small smile. "I guess they want you for something specific," she said, trying to reassure him. "I know it took a while before I started doing proper work around here. Might just be you're in that bedding in period."

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:22 pm 
US Marines

"The Green Weenie," Robert started "is what we call that thing that the Corps uses to screw us." he said. He didn't think he'd need to explain it further, but he did have some examples ready if need be. He smiled a bit, hoping to make what he said just a tiny bit more normal.

Pacific Northwest. So the area of Singapore and Malaysia. "I think I am literally the only one that hasn't read reports around here" Robert said. And truth be told, he didn't really want to. Unless it could be of use to a mission, at least.

"well then. Here's to specific jobs" Robert said, lifting his near-empty mug a bit.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:07 am 
Civilian

Ruth's eyes widened for a second, and she blushed, ever so slightly. If it had been Jake who had said something like that, she wouldn't have minded. But the fact that it had come from a stranger... well, she didn't feel comfortable with it. She was far more an innocent than most people would ever believe. "Us linguists don't have anything like that," she admitted. "Although FUBAR and SNAFU are still a part of our vocabulary."

Especially since coming to the SGC.

She smiled kindly. "Get your hands on a few reports, have a read," she said. "It'll be invaluable when you go offworld. It might even stop you from thinking you're somewhere in Washington State or even British Columbia." It was the beauty of the temperate rainforests on a couple of planets that had fuelled Ruth's desire to visit the Pacific Northwest, in fact.

She raised her mug, taking a sip in silent toast. "Be careful what you wish for, though, hon," she replied, a broad smile in place. "You wouldn't want things to be getting too dull and samey, would you?"

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:41 pm 
US Marines

"Yeah. I do have to apologize. Us Marines aren't exactly known for our words. Especially in the field when there's a foul word at least once every couple of words." Robert said. Thinking about what had gone on back in Afghanistan and Iraq made him smile just a little bit.

Robert nodded. He'd have to read a few of them reports then. Washington or Canada, though. "What? Nothing like good ole' Georgia?" he joked. In truth he wasn't interested very much in going to something so similar to the place he grew up in. He'd said yes partially because of the destinations he'd been told he'd go to.

"Hey, not getting shot at every day, mortar wake-up calls courtesy of the Taliban, and Air Force dining facilities? This is the dream posting for pretty much every Marine" Robert joked. Especially the last bit did it. The Air Force mess halls made the Marines' look like they were eating in the gutter.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:29 pm 
Civilian

Ruth gave Robert a slight smile. She was used to other people cussing, and she didn't get offended by it, she just chose not to cuss herself, at least most of the time. "No need to apologise, I've heard worse," she said, her tone light, and she shrugged, as though to emphasise the dismissal of his apology.

She shrugged again. "I don't know, there might be, I guess," she said. "I don't know Georgia all that well. I've not been offworld much, but from the pictures in the reports, there's probably places that look just like almost anywhere on earth." It stood to reason, really. After all, human life needed the same things to sustain it, no matter where in the universe it was situated. It was only logical that planets would look similar.

"I can imagine this has been a bit easier to start with," Ruth said, smiling once more. "It's not all gonna be a cakewalk, though." She regarded Robert for a few seconds. "You know about the Goa'uld, right?" Of course he did. After all, he had clearance to be there. But the real question was, what did he know about them? How much reading had he done after being given the initial spiel?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:14 pm 
US Marines

Robert nodded along. The possibilities were endless. "Just as well" he said. "Georgia's not that special" he added. And it was true. But then, one's home usually only is special when one is far away from it.

"I know a bit about them, yeah. Those snake things that creep into folks' heads." Robert said with a smile. It was a bit more complicated, of course, but he knew what he needed to know. Nothing less, and not a whole lot more.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2