All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Midnight Cravings - OPEN
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:28 pm 
Civilian

September 12th, 01:34

It was well past one in the morning, and Ruth couldn't sleep. She had been working on a translation until almost midnight, and her mind was a whirl, refusing to shut down. Sleep seemed more distant than the dawn, but that was nothing new. After all, Ruth had spent half her life buried in books and research until the wee small hours, and had long since learned to function on minimal sleep.

Now, though, her mind was racing, and her stomach was rumbling, and, together, that was a terrible combination. Fortunately, the mess hall kept its buffet going all day and all night, catering to the day shift and the night owls with the same care, even though the food might be more than a little bland, and the atmosphere more than a little light on actual... well, atmosphere. Still, it didn't matter. A good book, a mug of chocolate, and whatever delights the mess hall had to offer was good enough.

Just so long as she didn't have to try to get to sleep for another hour or two.

And so it was, armed with a trashy novel, a large mug of chocolate, and a bowl of mac and cheese, Ruth settled at a table, feet tucked underneath herself, waiting for sleep to find her, or for her to wrestle it to the ground, whack it around the head, and force it to cooperate.

Either would do.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:03 pm 
US Air Force

Jake stumbled into the Mess Hall, slightly annoyed with the ICU nurses. They had made him leave the ICU to go get food. Just because he hadn't eaten anything in 12 hours didn't mean he needed something to eat. He had been drinking coffee all day. That was good enough for him most of the time.

As he approached the buffet, his stomach rumbled loud enough to attract the attention of several people near him. He gave them a sheepish smile and hurried towards the line. Ok, so if the food here was eliciting that type of response, he was obviously hungry. Maybe the nurses were right. He would have to apologize to them for getting angry.

He glanced over the buffet, quickly deciding what he wanted. He was a pro at buffet cafeteria food, having eaten the majority of the meals over the past decade or so in various hospitals or military mess halls. Fried chicken, fries, macaroni and cheese, and a salad. Enough calories to fuel his body for at least another 6-8 hours.

He grabbed a soda as well for a caffeine and sugar boost, and turned to sit. He glanced around the cafeteria to see if he knew anyone, and his eyes settled on a pretty redhead reading a book and sitting by herself. He smiled. Ruth.

He walked over to her table, set down his tray, and smiled at her, "Good to see a fellow night-owl up and about. Mind if I sit with you? Or would you rather I leave you with your novel?"

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:28 am 
Civilian

Adam cupped the side of Sophia's cheek, his strong fingers caressing her peachy skin, his other hand slowly working down the...

Ruth's head shot up, a sheepish guilty smile on her lips. The smile wouldn't have been half so sheepish or guilty if it hadn't been someone she knew so well. Jake knew far more about her than she would care to have spread about, and that included her love of trashy novels.

Closing the book, she placed it, face down, on the table, shrugging helplessly. "Hey hon," she said, her voice tired and quiet, the smile on her lips warm and genuine. The "hon" thing was pure Bawlmerese, one of the few affectations of Charm City that she had failed to shake off. That being said, she hadn't tried. She was a Baltimoron and proud of it, so why try to hide it, especially from someone she had shared so much with?

Ruth frowned. She was sure that she had seen Jake on duty in the infirmary that morning, before her team had been sent offworld for what had seemed an inordinately short period of time, which would make it... fifteen hours or more since he had clocked on. She looked at him reprovingly, even as she nodded to the table.

"Feel free," she said, taking a sip of her hot chocolate. "And then you can tell me what the hell you're doing awake, probably sixteen hours or more after you started shift." Ruth's warm smile turned into a grin. "We got a deal?"

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:25 pm 
US Air Force

Jake chuckled at Ruth's guilty look. He knew the types of books she liked to read in her spare time. He smiled at her accent, something that always reminded him of her, regardless of how many people he had heard with it. Which was a lot considering he spent 8 years at JHU in Baltimore.

He recognized the frown, and what was coming, before Ruth said a word. He hung his head in mock shame, and sighed.

Ruth Tolliver wrote:
"Feel free," she said, taking a sip of her hot chocolate. "And then you can tell me what the hell you're doing awake, probably sixteen hours or more after you started shift." Ruth's warm smile turned into a grin. "We got a deal?"

"It's only been... Uh... Well... A 9-cups-of-coffee day." He looked down at his tray, and sheepishly back to Ruth. "I mean, ten cups. So that means, what time is it? One? I've been up for 18 hours now, and at the ER for about 16, maybe? My shift was supposed to end at twenty-hundred hours." He shrugged. "We had cases, there was work to be done, and I didn't have anything better to do tonight." He chuckled to himself. "Only reason I'm here now is because the nurses made me leave to go get food."

He gave Ruth his most endearing smile and winked at her. "You know I've never needed much sleep and I've worked significantly longer shifts than this in the past. No reason worry about me."

Jake tried to change the subject before Ruth could ask if he had eaten anything else today. Despite him being the one with the M.D., it always seemed like she was the one taking care of him instead of vice versa. It was a theme in their relationship that had been going on for over a decade now. "And what's kept you up so late, hmm?"

Last edited by Jacob Patterson on Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:35 am 
Civilian

The familiar chuckle floated across the table, and Ruth shrugged. For someone so practical and sharply intelligent, her choice in reading material had always been a source of amusement for Jake while they were at college together, and still was apparently. And who could blame him? Some of the romance novels she read were more than a little soppy and trite.

The sigh, though...

Jake had been caught out overworking again, and he knew it. "Oh, hon," said Ruth, shaking her head. "Sometimes, I think you used to keep the Daily Grind in business!" The Daily Grind was a true Baltimore institution, with one coffee shop on Thames Street, and another branch on campus at Johns Hopkins. The college branch had only been open a short while when she had finished her PhD, but the queues were always out the door. Even now, when she went home, she'd spend a long, leisurely afternoon in Fells Point, walking around the piers, grabbing a coffee in the Daily Grind, and, often as not, grabbing a drink in the Waterfront Bar, or The Horse You Came In On. Good times.

That damn smile of his didn't go far, and Ruth shot Jake a reproving look, which was probably less effective than she would have liked. "You were twenty one then, Jake," she grinned, cocking an eyebrow even as she poked at her mac and cheese with a spoon. It was rapidly cooling and congealing. "You're thirty four now, an' things start slowing down as you get older." She twitched her eyebrows upwards.

"Even you."

Ruth did worry about Jake, though, now as much as she ever did. However, she grinned at him, taking a punctuating sip of chocolate, cradling her mug in her hands as she watched him over the rim. "Oh, you know how it goes," she replied breezily, even as a yawn danced on her lips. "Never could pass up a hot translation on a cold night." It was the closest thing she had had to a hot date in years.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:49 pm 
US Air Force

Despite feeling her disapproval of his lack of sleep and overworking, Jake kept up his smile and sat down at the table.

With a slightly sarcastic and joking tone Jake said, "Psh, I don't know what you're talking about, Mom. I'm perfectly healthy and just as fast as I was back then."

Jake's smile faltered slightly at the lie. He knew he needed to stop working such long hours. Now that he was thinking about it, he was exhausted. What happened to the days where he used to be pull shift like this and then go out drinking with people?

Ruth Tolliver wrote:
"Oh, you know how it goes," she replied breezily, even as a yawn danced on her lips. "Never could pass up a hot translation on a cold night."

Jake's smile renewed despite his exhaustion and he chuckled quietly. "Would you like to be the pot or the kettle in this situation?" He raised his right eyebrow inquisitively. "I think you know as well as I do that we both work too much. And you know, there are other things to keep you warm on cold nights, that, dare I say, are more fun than translating ancient languages..." Jake gave Ruth a wink. Their relationship had always been a bit flirty since their days back at JHU, and they had even been out a few times back then. Nothing serious had ever developed though since they were both so serious about their work, although the blame was probably more on Jake than on Ruth.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:09 am 
Civilian

Ruth simply twitched her eyebrows upwards, pointedly taking a sip of her hot chocolate and looking at Jake over the rim of her mug. He looked tired. He looked his age, in fact, and that wasn't something that she was used to from him. In fact, she had always joked that he had a portrait up in his attic getting steadily older.

"I don't recall you being fast," she chuckled, her lips twitching upwards into a lopsided smirk. "Although... maybe that was just with me, I don't know." Although they had been out on a few dates, nothing had ever really come of it, although they had come out of the other side with their friendship very much intact, a friendship that they had been able to pick up again when they had both started working at the SGC.

Concern etched itself into Ruth's features as Jake's smile slipped just a little, and he was no longer able to hide his tiredness from her. She grinned at his next comment. "I think we're each as bad as the other, at least since we started working here," she conceded, shaking her head and placing her mug down. She laughed as Jake made a very suggestive comment. "Always the promises with you, never the execution," she grinned, shifting so that she was sat cross-legged on her chair, every bit as lithe as she had been when she had been at college with Jake.

"I seem to remember saying the same sorta thing to you, but being blown off for a night with a cadaver. What's changed, Jake, huh? How'd I know you wouldn't just promise the earth, and then I'd find you in the morning, curled up around a dissection?" Of course, it was all idle chatter. Well, mostly. Jake was still damn attractive, more so now than ever, in Ruth's opinion, and the flirting certainly did a woman's ego the world of good.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:59 am 
US Air Force

Jake raised his right eyebrow again, and gave Ruth a slight smirk. She always knew just what to say to call his bluff and shut him up.

He shook his head slightly, looked down at his plate and took a big bite of mac and cheese to avoid having to immediately answer. He still felt guilty about the endings of their short romantic relationship, but it was pretty similar to how all of his relationships ended. She was just as pretty now as ever, despite being several years older.

He finished chewing his bite, swallowed and looked back at Ruth, a bit bashfully. "Yeah... Still kicking myself for that one. Between the two, spending time with you would have been significantly more fun, as I'm sure it still would be." Jake gave her another quick wink.

"So what have you been up to lately? Any new flings I should be jealous of? Or is it just the translation you've been spending your nights with?"

Jake and Ruth talked about pretty much everything in their lives. Dates, family drama, nothing was off limits.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:32 am 
Civilian

Ruth's smile grew at Jake's smirk. Things had never really had the chance to develop between them at college, but there was still this undeniable spark between them, one that fed into their close friendship. She enjoyed being able to have someone she was so close to at the SGC.

"Don't kick yourself, Jake," she said softly, a warm smile still firmly in place, even as a chuckle broke out. "Who's to say we would have worked out anyway? It... just didn't happen. Besides, I still got to keep one of the best friends a woman could ask for, didn't I?" And that was why Ruth had no regrets. In spite of their "near miss", or perhaps even because of it, Jake was one of the few people she could talk to about absolutely anything and everything, and she trusted him completely.

Not many people could say they had a friendship like that.

"But yeah, I think we could think of some 'fun' things to do," she giggled, tossing Jake a wink of her own. Two could play at that game. She stifled a yawn.

"I've got the most boring life you could imagine, hon," Ruth replied ruefully, shaking her head. "No dates, definitely no 'flings' for you to be jealous of..." She twitched her eyebrows upwards suggestively. "I've been curled up with the finest Goa'uld and Ancient texts other planets have to offer." As she said it out loud, she realised that was a really, really sad state of affairs.

"How about you? I gotta be jealous of someone, or you still been married to your stethoscope lately?"

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:46 pm 
US Air Force

"The most boring life I could imagine? Working at a governmental facility that studies alien cultures and visits other planets? Somehow I don't think those are the same thing." Jake gave Ruth a smile, "You'll find someone. If you weren't here working all the time like I am, you'd be overrun by guys asking you out."

At her question, he smirked and shook his head. "You're kidding right? The majority of the people I've been spending time with have been in hospital beds, and may or may not have been responsive."

He chuckled and continued, "I think the most time I've spent with the same woman was last week, when a nurse and I worked a double together. Probably drove her off too, considering I haven't seen her since then." It wasn't irregular for shifts to not overlap, and Jake knew that. He often went weeks without seeing particular nurses. Or maybe they were there and he didn't notice them? That was a distinct possibility. Jake tended to get tunnel vision when he was working and not notice detailed things directly unrelated to the case.

Jake chuckled at himself and his lack of a love-life and then took a bite of chicken.

"You know, we should go out sometime for a few drinks. As a date or not, at the very least, we might be able to meet some new people."

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next