All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:55 pm 
Civilian

Ruth shook her head, reaching out and picking up her mug, cradling it in her hands as though to warm herself. "Oh, you know what I mean," she chuckled. "Eat, sleep, work, shit, ad infinitum. Don't get me wrong, I love it here, I love what I'm doing. It's just... well, it would be great to feel as though I actually have a life outside this mountain. You know, I've not been back to my apartment in over a week?" It had been more convenient to stay on the base, especially with her having finished work in the wee small hours most nights, even on her designated days off. When it came down to it, her lack of social life was her own fault.

She had to laugh, though. "Jake, not even the guys working here ask me out. I've stopped looking, though. If something happens... it happens." She shrugged. She was just as happy on her own as she had ever been in a couple, so it really didn't bother her.

Ruth grinned, wiggling her eyebrows suggestively at Jake. "Ever the ladykiller, huh," she teased. "You realise you're the heartthrob of Cheyenne Mountain, don't you, hon? I wouldn't be surprised if someone creates a Jake Patterson calendar in time for Christmas. It'd fly off the shelves. But don't go telling everyone about that nurse, otherwise the rumour mill will have you married and pregnant in a heartbeat."

She took another sip of chocolate and listened to Jake's suggestion. "Sounds like a plan to me," said Ruth, twitching an eyebrow upwards as she shot Jake a flirty smirk. "But if that's how you ask someone out on a date, no wonder your love life's as dismal as mine!"

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:48 pm 
US Air Force

Ruth Tolliver wrote:
Ruth shook her head, reaching out and picking up her mug, cradling it in her hands as though to warm herself. "Oh, you know what I mean," she chuckled. "Eat, sleep, work, shit, ad infinitum. Don't get me wrong, I love it here, I love what I'm doing. It's just... well, it would be great to feel as though I actually have a life outside this mountain. You know, I've not been back to my apartment in over a week?"

Jake nodded, "I understand, believe me. I sleep more in the break room of the infirmary than I do at my apartment."

Ruth Tolliver wrote:
She had to laugh, though. "Jake, not even the guys working here ask me out. I've stopped looking, though. If something happens... it happens." She shrugged.

Another nod from Jake. Ruth and Jake's social lives seemed to parallel one another quite well. Jake knew how she was feeling. He just didn't understand what was wrong with the guys around here. Ruth was definitely a catch.

Ruth Tolliver wrote:
Ruth grinned, wiggling her eyebrows suggestively at Jake. "Ever the ladykiller, huh," she teased. "You realise you're the heartthrob of Cheyenne Mountain, don't you, hon? I wouldn't be surprised if someone creates a Jake Patterson calendar in time for Christmas. It'd fly off the shelves. But don't go telling everyone about that nurse, otherwise the rumour mill will have you married and pregnant in a heartbeat."

Jake raised an eyebrow at this. "You're kidding right? With how few women approach me around here I figured I had pissed everyone off by forgetting names or accidentally ignoring someone." Jake shook his head. She had to be kidding, right? He took a large sip of coffee.

Ruth Tolliver wrote:
She took another sip of chocolate and listened to Jake's suggestion. "Sounds like a plan to me," said Ruth, twitching an eyebrow upwards as she shot Jake a flirty smirk. "But if that's how you ask someone out on a date, no wonder your love life's as dismal as mine!"

Jake laughed, deep and long at Ruth's comment. He then shot her a sheepish look. "I didn't think you would agree if I actually asked you out. Figured my opportunity had long since passed." He shrugged before continuing, "Never said I was good with the ladies anyway. I can flirt with the best of them, but when it comes to execution, I generally end up saying something stupid..." He chuckled at his own ineptitude. He always enjoyed talking and flirting with women but always seemed to screw something up when things started to progress past that point, whether it was working too much or putting his foot in his mouth. He winked at Ruth before finishing his thought with a healthy dose of sarcasm, "That's why I have to rely on my looks and intelligence to snag their interest." Jake never thought he was all that good looking. Or intelligent. He knew much more attractive people and much smarter individuals too. He was good at what he did, but there were much better doctors out there. Jake knew, he had met them and worked under them.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:16 pm 
Civilian

Ruth laughed, shaking her head. "You mean you can't even be bothered to make it back to your room? Now that's either insanity or dedication," she grinned. She wasn't sure herself which of the two options it would be. There was no doubt that Jake was dedicated to his job, but he often neglected his own health in order to provide the care he felt his patients deserved.

She arched a finely shaped eyebrow at Jake, placing her mug down, and leaning forward to make her point. "Jake, hon, have you looked in the mirror lately," she said, her lips curled into a warm smile. "You got pulses racin' all over the place, and you gotta be blind not to spot it." Maybe those who were admiring Jake were waiting for him to make the first move.

Well, pigs might fly if they expected that to happen.

However, Ruth's expression changed to one of incredulity, and she was momentarily silenced. She'd never considered that Jake might have wanted to ask her out again, never once thought that that might have been on his mind. "Well, maybe you should have asked me if you'd wanted to," she said softly, mulling things over in her head for a moment. "Sometimes, there's more than one chance at things."

She coughed lightly, picking up her hot chocolate and hiding behind it for a few seconds. Jake was smart, he was funny, and more attractive than ever. However, their relationship had devolved into a friendship - albeit a close and warm friendship - once their romantic relationship had fizzled out, and Ruth had gone on to marry Steven Tolliver. Sure, she'd wondered what might have happened between them, but hadn't really dared to entertain the thought much further than a brief "what if".

Maybe now she had to.

Ruth laughed too, a full belly laugh that almost brought tears to her eyes. "Yeah, right, you're just the pretty guy with an ace intelligence, and zero charisma. Of course you are." In fact, he had more charisma than almost anyone else she knew, and Ruth felt that the only reason that he was still single was because he didn't really know how to be in a relationship.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:53 pm 
US Air Force

Ruth Tolliver wrote:
Ruth laughed, shaking her head. "You mean you can't even be bothered to make it back to your room? Now that's either insanity or dedication," she grinned.

"Yeah, probably both." He nodded, chuckling.

Ruth Tolliver wrote:
She arched a finely shaped eyebrow at Jake, placing her mug down, and leaning forward to make her point. "Jake, hon, have you looked in the mirror lately," she said, her lips curled into a warm smile. "You got pulses racin' all over the place, and you gotta be blind not to spot it."

Jake shook his head. Ruth liked teasing him, and that's all that was. He rolled his eyes at her, although he felt warmth creeping up his neck and a slight flush in his cheeks. He took a big sip of coffee to help conceal his slight blushing.

Ruth Tolliver wrote:
However, Ruth's expression changed to one of incredulity, and she was momentarily silenced. "Well, maybe you should have asked me if you'd wanted to," she said softly, mulling things over in her head for a moment. "Sometimes, there's more than one chance at things."

Jake paused in reaching for his fork. Sometimes, there's more than one chance at things. Did that mean what he thought it meant? He shook his head slightly, jarring the thoughts out of his head. Probably not. Ruth liked to flirt with him, and tease him about other girls, but that comment didn't mean she actually wanted him to ask her out again, did it? He hadn't even started to entertain an idea that she might still be interested in him. Hmm.

Ruth Tolliver wrote:
Ruth laughed too, a full belly laugh that almost brought tears to her eyes. "Yeah, right, you're just the pretty guy with an ace intelligence, and zero charisma. Of course you are."

Jake felt the blush returning to his face, and he wasn't sure how to respond to that, whether she was being serious, or teasing him, or complimenting him. So he chuckled with Ruth, and then took a large bite of macaroni and cheese to buy some time.

When he had finished chewing and swallowed, he took another sip of coffee, looking at her over the rim of the mug. As he lowered it from his lips he asked, "So about that night out? Do you have a free night sometime this weekend? I think I'm off Saturday and Sunday. Maybe we could go grab a couple drinks? I think I've got a day off mid next week as well if you're busy.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:24 am 
Civilian

"Jake, when are you ever gonna learn to look after yourself," Ruth grinned, shaking her head. "Don't make me come and keep an eye on you, okay?"

She didn't miss Jake blushing though, and, teasingly, she reached out and touched his cheek with the tip of her finger, making a hissing noise as though water was evaporating on a hot surface. "Hon, you are too unaware of your own attractiveness for your own good, you know. I swear, it should be illegal to be as attractive - and eligibly single - as you."

Ruth's eyes widened momentarily as Jake shook his head, though. She took that to mean that asking her out again was the last thing on his mind, and she shrugged nonchalantly, a small, sheepish smile on her lips. "Just saying," she murmured, feeling a faint blush settle on her own pale skin. Of course he wasn't interested in her any more. It had been too many years since anything romantic had happened between them, and it had been obvious enough that, for whatever reason, she hadn't held his interest for long. Ruth had long since gotten over that, and to be stirring it up again...

Stupid idea.

Jake's blush returned to match her own, and Ruth returned his smile. "Jake, hon, this kinda thing just makes you all the more attractive," she said, her voice soft. "That whole 'innocent' thing... yeah, you wear it well."

The tension that had been building between them was released as Jake brought the subject back to the not-a-date. Ruth grinned. "Saturday night's good for me, I'm not rostered on this weekend either. Got anywhere in mind?"

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:16 pm 
US Air Force

Ruth Tolliver wrote:
"Jake, when are you ever gonna learn to look after yourself," Ruth grinned, shaking her head. "Don't make me come and keep an eye on you, okay?"

Jake chuckled, "Maybe that's what I want." Jake gave Ruth a wink.

Ruth Tolliver wrote:
She didn't miss Jake blushing though, and, teasingly, she reached out and touched his cheek with the tip of her finger, making a hissing noise as though water was evaporating on a hot surface. "Hon, you are too unaware of your own attractiveness for your own good, you know. I swear, it should be illegal to be as attractive - and eligibly single - as you."

Jake's blush returned to match her own, and Ruth returned his smile. "Jake, hon, this kinda thing just makes you all the more attractive," she said, her voice soft. "That whole 'innocent' thing... yeah, you wear it well."

Jake smiled sheepishly, looked down at his tray, and shook his head. "If you keep complimenting me like that, I may start to believe it." He looked back up at her. Man, she was beautiful when she blushed.

Ruth Tolliver wrote:
The tension that had been building between them was released as Jake brought the subject back to the not-a-date. Ruth grinned. "Saturday night's good for me, I'm not rostered on this weekend either. Got anywhere in mind?"

"Well, I didn't have anything specific in mind, past maybe dinner and then drinks afterward. Any preference in terms of restaurant?"

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:04 am 
Civilian

Ruth shot Jake a somewhat saucy smile, twitching her eyebrows upwards in a tease. "If that's what you want, all you gotta do is ask," she chuckled, shaking her head. Jake definitely needed looking after, to a certain extent. She knew all too well how much he could neglect himself when it came to his one overriding passion: work. It was possibly one of the reasons they had never lasted as a couple. Hell, they had maybe never even made it to the status of a "couple". A few dates did not necessarily a couple make.

"You better believe it, hon," Ruth said, her voice soft and sincere. Jake was drop dead gorgeous, and she was surprised that, somehow, he kept women from battering his door down. Certainly, if the base gossip was anything to go on, there were plenty of women who were tossing themselves at her old friend, but, for whatever reason, Jake didn't seem to notice them.

Go figure.

Swallowing back the urge to follow up on the flirtation, and accepting that Jake just wasn't interested in her any longer, Ruth smiled warmly, determined not to let Jake see the mild disappointment in the fact that he very clearly had moved on utterly from what they had shared. "Sounds good," she said softly, returning her gaze to her mac and cheese, taking a calculated bite before bringing her gaze back to her friend.

Her friend.

"Nope, no preference," she said, smiling slightly. "You know me. I've never been one for fancy dinners or anything like that. Just somewhere fun, is all."

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:30 am 
US Air Force

Jake was slightly off-put by Ruth's mild reactions. By now, he had expected her to be extremely flirty, and she seemed pre-occupied, or possibly upset at him. Had he done something to offend? He hoped not, and pressed on.

"Well, there are a number of places I've been wanting to try recently."

Jake bit his lower lip in thought. There were a number of places he liked. A few diners, O'Malley's was a favorite of people at the base, and there were a few ethnic food places that he's been meaning to try.

"So..." Jake hesitated slightly. There was a place that had been suggested to him as a great date-night location, but he still wasn't sure Ruth would be interested in an actual date. Jake bit his lip again in indecision, and then decided to go for it. "If you were serious about what you said earlier, about there sometimes being a second chance for things, we could try this place called Shuga's. A collegue in Colorado Springs suggested I take a date there sometime. It's supposed to have really good food and drinks, and a fun atmosphere. Interesting and slightly experimental combinations of flavors." Jake shrugged, and realized he was rambling. "I don't really know much more about it than that." He looked Ruth in the eyes and raised an eyebrow. "So Ruth, would you like to go on a date?" He hesitated briefly, and he felt his cheeks slightly warm. Since when did he blush when he asked someone out? He looked down at his food and quickly blurted as he adjusted how he was sitting, "Because if you would rather it not be a date, we could go to O'Malley's instead. More chances to see other people from the base, less date-like."

Jake mentally kicked himself. That had been a fairly smooth speech until the end, when he felt like he needed to give Ruth a way out of it being a date. He hoped that at some point, he would figure out how to better follow through with his flirting with Ruth. She was one of the few people who could consistently keep him off-balance. Not that he was great with women, but he could normally get through at least a few dates before things burst into flames and his work life trumped spending time with whoever he was seeing.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:51 am 
Civilian

Jake looked as though he was considering something deeply, and Ruth watched him closely, one eyebrow twitched upwards. He didn't bite his lip like that very often, and she wondered what on earth was going through his mind.

And then he whipped the rug out from under her.

It appeared as though she had been wrong about him not being interested any more, and she slightest twitch of a smile tugged at the corners of her mouth. Jake's mouth ran away with him for a few moments, nervously chattering on about a restaurant, before getting down to the crux of the matter, and Ruth grinned. She should have expected the backtracking. For all his good looks and charm, Jake wasn't the smoothest when it came to the ladies. It was one of the reasons she liked him so much.

"Wow, you almost had me there," she teased, trying to stop the goofiest grin ever sliding into place, even as butterflies tickled away inside her stomach.

"Jake. Hon. Stop right there," said Ruth, that goofy grin now in place, her eyes sparkling as she looked across the table. "Yes, I meant it, and yes, I'd love to go on a date with you. This Shuga place sounds fine, as long as it's not too fancy. You know how I hate all that crap." And there it was. Her first date agreed in a very long time. Now all she had to do was to navigate the minefield of testing the waters in terms of seeing whether their friendship was able to move to the next level.

Ruth glanced back down at her food, the smile still in place, and a blush colouring her cheeks again. "You know... I could have sworn you weren't interested in me that way any more," she admitted. "I figured that more than ten years of friendship would have knocked that right out of you. You know me too well!"

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:54 am 
US Air Force

Jake watched a goofy grin slide on to Ruth's face as she stopped his rambling and agreed. He noticed a few seconds later that he probably had a similar look.

"I don't think it's supposed to be all that fancy."

Ruth Tolliver wrote:
Ruth glanced back down at her food, the smile still in place, and a blush colouring her cheeks again. "You know... I could have sworn you weren't interested in me that way any more," she admitted. "I figured that more than ten years of friendship would have knocked that right out of you. You know me too well!"

Jake chuckled, and took another swig of coffee before responding. "Well, until your comment a few minutes ago, I thought the same thing about you." He gave her a wink. "Besides, how could I not want to date someone as pretty as you?"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next