All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:24 am 
Beta Site CMO

Claire continued scrawling on Price's chart as Telford paged a linguist. God alone only knew who they would get. Not that it mattered a bit to her, not really; Claire didn't know many of the linguists, much less which ones were competent or not. She was a doctor, not a linguist, so it wasn't her place to know who was any good. Of course, she knew who had a good reputation, and who didn't, but still... that was just hearsay.

"Brilliant, thanks," she said, as Telford confirmed that a linguist had been paged. She turned back to the archaeologist. "Look, what I'd like to do, Dr Price, is to take some baseline readings on you vitals and bloodwork before you even consider starting to try to translate that thing. Is that okay with you?"

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:44 am 
Civilian

James watched Telford page a linguist, and he gave the man a smile once he had finished. "Thanks."

James listened patiently to Dr. Te Atua explain what she wanted to do. "Sounds fine to me." He shrugged slightly. In a slightly sarcastic tone he continued, "Since I've got to stick around, you might as well do your worst." He gave her a smirk and a slight chuckle.

"What's first?"

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:39 am 
Civilian

Telford ambled back over toward where Price sat, though he made sure to stay out of Claire's way. With furniture not being a prime feature of the isolation room, he parked himself nearby, instead. Somehow, despite the fact he was just leaning against a wall, he managed to look as relaxed as if he was sprawled comfortably on a couch. Crossing his legs at the ankles, he folded his arms loosely and regarded the patient with his best expression of amiable curiosity.

"So," the agent said, "-- if Dr. Te Atua doesn't mind you talking while she works -- what all happened to bring you here? I feel like I came in halfway through the second reel."

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:23 pm 
Beta Site CMO

Finally, a little cooperation.

Claire smiled with warmth, nodding. "The first thing will be to get a linguist up here, and make sure they're happy with an EEG being run," she explained. "If so, we'll attach electrodes to both scalps, a heart rate monitor, and a blood pressure monitor, keeping track of what happens to both of you." Her gaze turned sober. "But if your vitals go too far, I'll be stopping your work, okay?" She didn't care how passionate he was about the armband, Claire's priority was his health.

She made a few notes on Price's chart as Telford talked. She really wasn't overly happy about the agreement she had come to with the archaeologist, but she had little choice, really, and neither did he. They needed to get this damn thing off his arm, and, if it took giving a little to get a little, then so be it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:42 pm 
Civilian

Claire Te Atua wrote:
"The first thing will be to get a linguist up here, and make sure they're happy with an EEG being run," she explained. "If so, we'll attach electrodes to both scalps, a heart rate monitor, and a blood pressure monitor, keeping track of what happens to both of you." Her gaze turned sober. "But if your vitals go too far, I'll be stopping your work, okay?"

"I understand Doc. Not especially happy 'bout it, but I understand." James was doing his best to try and keep his temper in line. He realized looking back on his conversations today, that he had gotten a little over-zealous.

David Telford wrote:
Telford ambled back over toward where Price sat, though he made sure to stay out of Claire's way. With furniture not being a prime feature of the isolation room, he parked himself nearby, instead. Somehow, despite the fact he was just leaning against a wall, he managed to look as relaxed as if he was sprawled comfortably on a couch. Crossing his legs at the ankles, he folded his arms loosely and regarded the patient with his best expression of amiable curiosity.

"So," the agent said, "-- if Dr. Te Atua doesn't mind you talking while she works -- what all happened to bring you here? I feel like I came in halfway through the second reel."

James chuckled. "Well, short version is I found this thing..." James held up his armbanded arm, "...on a dig I'm leading in Peru and accidentally got it stuck on my arm. Your boys picked me up shortly thereafter, and I've been sittin' in here ever since." He paused a second before continuing, and sighed defeatedly. "From what I'm gatherin' from your medical staff and the good doctor here, my head or my heart'll explode if I'm not careful. Seems my metabolism is off tha' charts, my heart is runnin' a mile a minute, and my brain is movin' faster than it ever has. It's been slipped that it's supposedly alien." James shrugged. Not sure what else Telford wanted to know.

"That a good enough rundown or do you want the long version?"

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:03 pm 
Civilian

"That a good enough rundown or do you want the long version?"

Telford chuckled. "Well," he said, "it looks like we've got time, why don't you give me the long version? We've got a mystery on our hands here, and I've found sometimes it helps to have a different *cough*totally ignorant*cough* perspective. Out of the mouths of babes, and all that."

Deciding to avoid dwelling on the medical issues, as Price probably didn't need any more stress, he shifted himself slightly to settle more comfortably, before going on. "So, you were at a dig in Peru. One of those big pyramid things with the tongue-twisting names? What are they? Aztec? Mayan? Something like that?"

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:39 am 
Civilian

The call for a linguist was relatively vague, and the fact that it was for the isolation bays in the infirmary was more than a little intriguing, at least to Ruth. Sure, so they wanted someone who might recognise some ancient South American stuff, but, from experience, she knew that, often as not, someone who knew Ancient or Goa'uld would usually suffice.

Ruth wasn't really up to much else, other than mulling over a translation that someone else couldn't manage, so she figured a break was more than overdue, and headed up to the infirmary, flashing her pass as she explained she was answering the call for a linguist. She nodded as she was pointed in the direction of the isolation bays, and looked more than a little cautious as she saw a doctor and two other men in the room she had been aimed at. She pressed the intercom button, and leaned in.

"You guys wanted a linguist? Ruth Tolliver."

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:50 am 
Beta Site CMO

Claire glanced up from the chart she was scribbling on at the sound of a female voice. She had been hoping for Daniel Jackson, but beggars couldn't be choosers. She just hoped that this Ruth Tolliver was up to the job. She pressed a button the wall. "Come on in, it's nothing catching,"she chuckled. "Well, at least we hope not."

As the redhead entered, she nodded at the two men. "The blonde bloke is Dr James Price, an archo who found himself mixed up in all our crazy shit." She grinned at Price. "The other guy is David Telford. No idea what the hell he really is, so you're best off asking him."

Claire scribbled something else on the chart before hanging it back on the wall. "I'll let Dr Price explain what we want you here for, then... well, I might just piss on those fireworks, okay? Only fair to let you know what you're in for."

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:26 pm 
Civilian

James smiled at Dave. Whenever talking to someone outside of academia, he had to remind himself that not everyone knew the history of the Americas.

"The Aztec and Maya were both in Central America. Mexico, Guatemala, and the like. The Inca were the major civilization in Peru when the Spanish came in the 1500's, but there are civilizations on the coast of Peru that are thousands of years older. My site is Wari, and predates the Inca by 500 years or more. We have solid dates over a thousand years old."

He looked at Dave, hoping the information sunk in before continuing "Our site, Castillo de Huarmey is a royal tomb, and actually is a pyramid. The area has been highly looted, but we managed to find several rooms totally undisturbed, which is pretty rare and extraordinarily important for understandin' the way these people lived."

James was about to continue, when a new voice from the door interrupted him. He turned his attention to the door, and saw a pretty redhead enter. She announced herself as a linguist. Hopefully she had an idea about the symbols.

The doctor introduced them all, then turned it over to him of all people. Apparently he and the doctor were on better terms now that all of the earlier excitement had calmed down.

James smiled at Ruth, before beginning. "Uh, well, I was recently on a dig in Peru, and, actually, I was just just startin' the story again. Long story short, I found a gauntlet at the dig. I held it up to my arm to demonstrate what it was, and it snapped shut on me." He held up his arm with the gauntlet to show the newcomer. "Felt a needle prick, from under the damn thing, and next thing I know I found myself in this place, with the good doctor here tellin' me my metabolism and vitals are all goin' all sorts of haywire. The thing has some symbols on it, but no culture in South America had a true written language. They look somewhat similar to Isthmian, which is early Mesoamerican, but also look slightly Mesopotamian, like Cuneiform or Elamite."

He looked at Ruth, hoping for some sign of recognition of those languages. "And to make things more interestin', the doc, here, wants to strap some equipment to us as we work to see if my brain's gunna' explode." A small grin crept onto his face as he finished his statement.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:36 am 
Civilian

Telford listened with genuine interest to Price's account, filing away the information about both past and present. You never knew when some odd little factoid might come in handy, and the people here at SGC were more than just founts of odd little factoids, they were veritable geysers. Plus, he enjoyed learning about other tribes, however remote they might be from the Cherokee culturally and geographically.

The agent did have some direct knowledge of pyramids, though entirely of the Egyptian variety. A case that had taken him there had found him a friend in a counterpart in the now-dissolved State Security Investigations Service, and Jibril had been very proud of his country's history and ancient monuments. After they'd rolled up that end of a Muslim Brotherhood pipeline, Telford had stuck around for a few days and the Egyptian agent had played tour guide. Tomb robbers both ancient and modern were all too common, so he had an idea of the rarity and significance of finding un-looted chambers.

Just as he nodded to Price to indicate he was still following, motion at the door caught Telford's attention and he looked over to see a woman there. Of a little over average height, she had dark red hair that contrasted strikingly with her fair skin, and a pleasantly curvaceous figure. After she introduced herself, Claire did the honors for the little group already assembled.

"The other guy is David Telford. No idea what the hell he really is, so you're best off asking him."

Telford waved a friendly greeting. "'Just a good ol' boy,'" he said, "'never meanin' no harm.'"

The floor was then returned to Price, who looked a little startled at being back in the spotlight, but proceeded to fill in the newcomer. Listening, the agent returned to his preferred role of interested observer, intrigued to learn that the Wari -- so, presumably the Inca -- hadn't had a written alphabet. His own people had lacked such as well, until Sequoyah created one. Another odd little factoid, he thought happily.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next