All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:11 pm 
Civilian

Claire tu Atua wrote:
Claire grinned. "Do you always look so pleased at the thought of having to take someone to task over a non-disclosure breach," she chuckled, shaking her head, her voice quiet, barely more than a whisper so as not to allow Price to hear everything. "Well, at least that makes things easier. I was kinda stuck as to what I could tell him, and what I couldn't. I think I'll just stick to the basics, though, the medical stuff, mainly. I assume you've had a brief on what to say?"

The volume on Telford's reply was equally subdued, and he dispensed with the folksy accent temporarily. "I like the thought of me doing it rather than the NID," he said. "I'm just the right amount full of myself," he added with a slow wink. "But 'brief' is just about right. Harriman caught me in the mess and pretty much threw the clipboard at me and shoved me out the door. I've been read in in general, though, so I'll follow your lead and play it by ear."

The OSI agent watched with interest as the doctor returned to her patient, as surprised as he was – and rather more concerned – that the man had finished reading already. Once the signed non-dis forms were safely back in Telford's hands, her gaze on Price was intent and thoughtful as she gave him a brief explanation of the probable origins of the device clasped around his forearm.

James Price wrote:
James looked back at the two. "So y'all are continuin' with the alien thing, then? Now that I've signed that form, can I try to translate the markings? Might include somethin' about what it is or what it does... Or are we going to start with the medical intervention?"

Telford half raised an eyebrow. The man was clearly not buying into the alien part of his situation yet, but that wasn't tremendously shocking. The OSI agent had encountered far worse cases of denial with far less reason. He'd been quite skeptical himself at first, but he was an engineer. He knew non-terrestrial tech when he saw it. And while you might be able to keep your cherished illusions in anthropology or archaeology, or whatever it was Price did, his own hard science field didn't have a lot of margin for refusing to accept what was right in front of your eyes.

"I reckon that's up to the doc," Telford said to the patient, accent returning. "Dependin' how urgent she figures your health situation is." Struck by a sudden thought, he said, "can you read the markings as fast as you read the forms?"

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:44 pm 
Atlantis Expedition Deputy CMO

"Full of yourself, or full of shit," chuckled Claire. "At least they sent someone with basic manners, unlike what happened to the Captain, so I suppose I should be grateful for small mercies." She twitched her eyebrows upwards as Telford told her he would follow her lead. "E hoa*, I'm just here to work out whether this thing is going to bloody well kill him, not to figure out what it is, does or means."

Claire sighed. "Yes, we're still on the bloody alien thing," she said, her voice not unkind. "I know it's hard to believe, but this thing isn't a Mayan artefact, or Aztec, or Olmec, or any other -ec. This thing wasn't created by any earth civilisation, and was, in fact, likely brought here by a race of aliens." Which race of aliens, she wouldn't want to hazard a guess at, either. It didn't look like it was a Goa'uld artefact, nor Asgard, but that was about the extent of her knowledge in that field.

Where's bloody Jackson when you need him?

She smiled slightly. "Whether or not you can translate it is going to depend on your linguistic skills, I guess," admitted Claire. "Not to mention what it's doing to your body, and whether or not you can stand much more." She glanced up at the archaeologist as Telford asked his question about the markings. "Reading is one thing, but understanding is quite another. If you don't have a Scooby what's going on with them, we can always get one of our linguists down here to take a look."

* - mate, my friend

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:13 pm 
Civilian

James listened to the two other people in the room discuss the situation.

After hearing the doctor again go through the rant about aliens, James decided not to argue about it anymore and to try and move past it. It seemed like they were giving him an opportunity to try and translate the markings on the device.

"I can't read the markin's off the top of my head, but some of them do look faintly like an ancient Mesoamerican language. Possibly Isthmian. But honestly, they aren't from anywhere in South America. Which means without a significant number of source books, I won't be able to do much. What language families do your linguists know?"

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:12 am 
Civilian

Telford didn't know what 'e hoa' meant, but he hoped it was something friendly. It sounded from her tone at least that it was, and not something like 'shithead.' And her manner seemed friendly, and was quite patient with Price as she reiterated the explanation about the aliens ... though that might have been because he was her patient.

Price, the OSI agent could tell, was still not accepting the extraterrestrial element of the equation, but it appeared he'd given up openly scoffing at the idea. Progress, of a sort.

James Price wrote:
What language families do your linguists know?"

Telford moved his shoulder slightly in a shrug. "No idea here," he said, with a questioning glance at Claire. "I can go find out. Maybe Dr. Jackson?"

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:08 am 

Claire pursed her lips slightly. It didn't appear as though Price was believing anything that he was told, at least not about aliens, and she was at a loss as to how she would be able to get across to him how serious the situation was. Idly, she wondered whether the non-disclosure agreement would mean that they could take him into other parts of the base, perhaps the archaeology labs, to meet someone who would be able to give him a personalised explanation of what was going on.

That said, until she was certain that he wasn't carrying any communicable disease, she couldn't risk letting him out of isolation.

The question, though, as to which language families their linguists knew, stumped her. She looked to Telford, who shrugged, and Claire couldn't help it. She shrugged too. "Ancient Mesoamerican," she repeated, a light frown on her face. "I've no doubt we have someone with experience in that area, but, off the top of my head, I have no idea who it would be. We'd need to make some enquiries." She picked up the medical chart again, and tapped it thoughtfully with her pen. "What I'd like to do, as well, once you're working on this thing with a linguist or an archaeologist, is run an EEG on both of you to measure your brain activity against theirs," she explained. "This'll give me an idea of just how much it's increasing your brain function compared to a baseline. You okay with that?"

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:13 pm 
Civilian

James sighed at the responses regarding language families. He had forgotten who he was talking to. Of course they wouldn't know off hand. Neither of their jobs related to linguistics.

James shrugged at the doctors suggestion of an EEG. "Sounds ok to me. Could you bring me some books on major language families? This doesn't look Egyptian, but may be Mesopotamian now that I'm thinking about it. Cuneiform or Elamite? Could you bring me books on Isthmian, Cuneiform, and Elamite?

While he wasn't sure those were the correct languages, they would at least be a start. Having done some research on written language, he was no stranger to translating only semi-understood text. He couldn't speak a word of any of the ancient languages he had worked on, unlike some of his colleagues, but he had a bit of a knack for translating written language and pulling meaning out of symbols.

As an afterthought, James made a concession and said, "If you want to bring in one of your linguists who knows any alien languages, feel free. I won't know anythin' about them.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:12 pm 
Civilian

"Guess that's my cue," Telford said, picking up the true meaning of the we pronoun in the We'd need to make some inquiries. "Isthmian, Cuneiform, Elamite," he repeated, fixing the names and their pronunciations in his mind. Then he added "Ancient Mesoamerican," for good measure. He doubted the reference materials would be lying conveniently out in the open, but the senior civilian scientists were only one level up, on 18, so hopefully he would be able to track down a linguist quickly.

He wasn't thrilled at the idea of leaving the doctor alone, even temporarily, with a man possibly under the influence of an alien device, but she'd seemed to have matters well in hand when he arrived. Still, he shot her a quick do you want me to stay? look.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:29 am 

Claire nodded as Price gave his assent for an EEG, and she just hoped that whoever they could get down here to look at the thing with him wouldn't object either. The direct comparisons would help to pinpoint exactly which brain functions were affected by this thing.

She tossed a grin at Telford. "If you like, although I've already paged Dr Jackson," she explained. "Looks like he's busy, though." Claire looked back at Price. "We can definitely get you someone who's skilled in alien languages, though, even if we can't manage the other earth languages." She couldn't help but notice that some of the scepticism had dropped from his voice. She was under no illusions that he was about to roll over and turn into a true believer, but at least he wasn't actively fighting against the idea now.

Claire shook her head, giving Telford a reassuring smile, before nodding at the intercom. "You could... just page a linguist, if you'd rather stay here?"

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:33 pm 
Civilian

James nodded and smiled at the two in front of him. He waited quietly and expectantly for the linguist and the books he asked for.

He noticed the looks between the two, shook his head slightly, and sighed. He wasn't going to hurt anyone. He didn't mean to hurt the other archaeologist shortly after he got the armband put on.

He still wasn't convinced of the whole 'alien' thing, but James realized he was actually getting somewhere if he at least played along.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:43 pm 
Civilian

Telford eyed the phone hanging on the wall for a moment before giving a mental shrug and walking over. Instructions on how to page other staffers here had been included in his orientation – it was a relatively simple matter of dialing a number and telling the operator who you wanted – he just hadn't ever done so yet. Part of that was due to the fact he'd been at the SGC only a short time, but mostly it was because his preference was for face-to-face interactions. They gave you a better feel for the person … and it was a lot harder to brush someone off when he was standing right in front of you than decline a request passed along over the phone second-hand.

Still, needs must. Punching in the code, the agent explained concisely to the anonymous female voice at the other end what was needed and where, stressing the urgency of the matter. Receiving her solemn promise to do her best, he hung up and turned back to Claire and James. "Well," he said, "that dog's runnin'."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next