All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:18 am 
Civilian

Slipping inside the room, Ruth shut the door behind her, nodding at all the introductions from Dr Te Atua. The medical staff was small enough that she had met pretty much everyone. Besides, Claire Te Atua was a friend of Jake's, so they'd chatted a couple of times in the mess hall when Jake was around.

She grinned as Claire left the somewhat confused looking man - the one she'd introduced as Dr Price - to explain what was going on. From the sounds of it, Claire had the medical side covered, and Ruth squinted a little to try to get a better look at the armband to see whether she could make out any if the symbols from a distance. She stepped forward. "May I," she asked, nodding towards the armband, before flashing a grin at Telford, as he declared himself nothing more than a "good ol' boy". Both of the men had southern accents, and she herself was straddling the border between north and south.

"Not any use at all with south American, or even middle American," she shrugged, before smiling at the armband. "But I'm pretty damn good with alien languages, which that is most definitely an example of."

Ruth twitched her eyebrows up at Claire. "What does he mean, hook us up to some machine," she chuckled. "You getting money for some kooky research thing, or something?"

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:41 am 
Beta Site CMO

Claire let the academics get on with things while she finished up the chart. It was best that Price explained to Ruth exactly what was going on: after all, one thing that she had learned since working at the SGC was that the linguists and the like needed some form of context around what they were attempting to translate. He could explain that far better than she herself ever could, anyway.

She almost rolled her eyes at Telford as the linguist engaged the archaeologist in conversation, but settled for shooting him a resigned smile instead.

However, her interest came back to the matter at hand as soon as Ruth queried what Price had meant. "Basically, I want to read both of your neural patterns, so I'd want to hook you up to some electrodes on your scalp. You'd be providing the baseline, and then I'd be able to see how far out of whack Dr Price is, if that's alright with you." She doubted that Ruth would have an issue: after all, the linguist had been at the SGC for at least as long as she had been herself, so she knew the score.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:31 pm 
Civilian

"You think this is alien? Really? You seen this language before?"

James looked back and forth between the two women talking before throwing in his two cents.

"Already gave my consent, so if you're willin' we can get started whenever you and the good doc here are ready. I've been goin' crazy sittin' here without anythin' to do. Couldn't even convince 'em to bring my a couple books."

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:00 am 
Civilian

Quirking a smile back at Claire, Telford did his best to fade into the background again, quietly observing the trio -- albeit primarily Price. So far, the guy had shown no signs of hostility or aggression, but the OSI agent was well aware of who would have have to tackle him if that changed. That was something that he accepted as coming with his gender even if it hadn't been his job, he just preferred to spot and head off problems before they got to that stage.

The latest arrival, Ruth Tolliver, had an accent he couldn't quite place. It was definitely American, but hung somewhere between Southerner and Yankee. In that friendly semi-drawl, she confirmed the alien origin of the symbols on the bracer, and Telford watched Price's reaction out of the corner of his eye. He doubted the archaeologist had bought into it yet, but the man seemed inclined to just roll with it for now. He had the look of a man whose curiosity had gotten the bit between its teeth and was now running the show, a feeling the agent knew all too well.

Not that Telford himself wasn't curious. Comparing brainwaves, or whatever neural patterns were exactly, sounded interesting to him. And if it helped to solve the mystery of what that gauntlet was, well, he loved solving mysteries.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:49 pm 
Civilian

Ruth gave Price a reassuring smile, nodding briefly towards the armband. "If that's not an alien language, then I'm a giraffe," she said, a hint of laconic humour on her voice. Yet her eyes hung onto the seriousness of the situation, glued to the metallic band encircling the archaeologist's arm.

She turned her eyes to the stranger. "The language is a derivative of something called Goa'uld. Goa'uld is a derivative of another language called Ancient." She paused for a moment, allowing this to sink in. "Ancient shares similarities with Latin and Ancient Greek, meaning that most European languages have them at their root." Ruth wondered how much Price knew: he must have signed the non-disclosure agreement, so she felt safe in continuing. "In short, these alien languages are what many languages on earth developed from. Given time, I can translate the armband, but I'm going to need access to it." Ruth allowed Price an indulgent smile. "And that means figuring out how to get it off your arm, unless you fancy being my lab rat."

Raising her eyebrows at Claire, Ruth shrugged with an air of dismissiveness. "Won't be the worst thing I've been through here, so you go right ahead, hon." Having a set of electrodes attached to her head was nothing compared with some of the other experiments she had allowed herself to take part in. Might even be a lot more fun, too, although she doubted that.

"Can't say I've ever been someone's baseline before," she grinned, shrugging. "Sure, fine, go ahead, whatever needs doing."

Last edited by Ruth Tolliver on Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:54 pm 
Beta Site CMO

Grateful for the full cooperation of all concerned, Claire flashed a small smile at Telford. She'd mark one up for rationality, but she knew that would be a crock of horseshit. Still, whatever reason for Price's concessions, she wasn't about to look a gift horse in the mouth.

"Okay, I'm going to get a nurse in here to get you both hooked up to the electrodes, and then I'm going to leave you both to it for an hour or so. This will allow me to see what you are both running at normally, then we'll begin with some simple tasks."

Claire slid her gaze between the archaeologist and the linguist. "Any questions?" She glanced at Telford. "Any questions from you, either? And are you okay to stay with them?"

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:39 pm 
Civilian

James sighed. Maybe these people were right. Maybe they weren't the crazy ones. He would play along for now and see where this went. If this was an elaborate joke they would slip up at some point, and if they were some group of crazies, he would bide his time and make an escape at some point.

James chuckled at Ruth. "Ma'am, appears like I'm already a lab rat. Probably wouldn't hurt to be yours too. At least I have some understandin' in your area of expertise. I might be able to learn a few things."

Then he looked at Claire and said, "More questions than you can shake a stick at, Doc, but none at the moment 'bout your electrodes."

He looked around to see if any of the others had questions.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:09 am 
Civilian

"Any questions?" [Claire] glanced at Telford. "Any questions from you, either? And are you okay to stay with them?"

The OSI agent, who'd managed to appear as if he'd become one with the wall, nodded. "Sure, I can stay," he said. It would be a bit like babysitting, but it wouldn't be the first time he'd done that, and the two scientists at least boded well to be more interesting company than the usual run of 'subjects' he monitored.

That did bring a question to mind, though. "Is it okay for them to talk? I mean, I can entertain myself imagining staring at a test pattern, but I figure they've got more going on upstairs and might get bored. Don't want any brainstorms raining on your results."

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:31 am 
Civilian

"It's Ruth, hon," she said, shrugging off the formality displayed by Price. If they were to be cooped up here together for the next few hours, the easier it was to talk to one another, the better. Her mind raced as she tried not to look at the armband too directly. If she let herself get sucked into immediate translation, the real purpose of her task here would get lost, and she might as well be in the room on her own.

Ruth nodded as the doctor asked whether she had any questions. "So you just want us to work on translating the armband for now, and compare what his grey stuff does compared to what my grey stuff does?" She said this with an easy smile. No point getting too technical in an area she knew nothing about.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:42 am 
Beta Site CMO

Claire nodded at Price. At last he seemed to be he prepared to at least consider that there might be something in the whole alien thing. She knew how overwhelmed he must feel, especially having been effectively abducted by the US military: at least she, and the others in the room, had come here completely of their own free will. That had made things a whole lot easier to stomach.

"Doctor Price, thank you," she said, her voice sincere. "I'll try not to take up any more of your time than I have to, and, if you and Ruth manage to translate this thing, and work out how to get it off your arm, we can look at getting you discharged." It was still clear that Claire thought of this as a medical case, nothing more, nothing less, and, as such, she would offer the best possible care to her patient, no matter what.

She tossed a quick smile at Telford. "You try translating something like that withough talking," she chuckled, and nodded towards Price and the armband. "You can weigh in as well, if you like, but I don't think we need to slap any electrodes on you!"

Claire turned back to Ruth. "Pretty much, yeah," she chuckled. "Basically, we think this thing has supercharged his metabolism and mental processes, and we have to either find a way to reverse its effects or get it off. Anything you can do to help is appreciated." Claire scrawled something else on the chart, and tucked her pen back into her pocket. "Okay, the nurse'll be here in a few minutes, but do you guys want anything else? Food? Drink?" She caught the gazes of the two scientists. "Need any computers, pens, paper?"

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6