All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:01 pm 
Beta Site CMO

"Ah, the dangers of the full body condom," grinned Claire. "Bet you'd be doing that if you went scuba diving, too." Sometimes, no matter what, your habits overtook you, and there was nothing that you could do about it. Claire, for her own part when she was nervous, let her hand drift to the back of her neck, and fiddled with the hair at the nape of her neck. It was as natural to her as breathing, and impossible to control.

Sophie seemed almost reluctant to take the sample, and who could blame her? Whatever the women were suffering from was clearly virulent and out of control. Maybe she should be leaving this to the male medics, but her dedication to her job wouldn't let her just stand by and let other people work on things alone. Sure, it was doubtful that she would be able to find out anything that the virologists and the like hadn't already discovered, but she couldn't just site back and do nothing.

"Think we're pissing in the wind," asked Claire, not yet ready to admit defeat, but understanding that she may have no choice.

She sighed with frustration. "I'm a fucking surgeon, what do I know," she muttered, shaking her head inside her suit. "You want to see Captain Pendleton as well?"

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:20 am 
Civilian

“Probably – although I haven’t tried to scuba dive, yet” It was one of several activities that she and Luc had planned to do but never got round to doing. Perhaps it might be something to have a go at, tick it off the list.

Claire looked stressed as hell, and Sophie couldn’t blame her. These poor women were obviously suffering from something quite horrific and it wasn’t as if it was something that seemed likely to go away on its own. The adage that a problem shared was a problem halved seemed fitting right now, and Sophie didn’t mind helping out a little if it helped solve the issue.

“If we’re pissing in the wind, then take comfort we are dressed to prevent staining” Managing to waddle back towards the Kiwi, she offered a reassuring smile, or at least what she hoped was a reassuring smile.

“You’re not just a fucking surgeon – You’re the first person who is going to turn into a diamond. You’re doing the best anyone can – We’ll solve this- all of us and I bet we’ll have time for coffee afterwards” She patted the colleague on the arm and then stepped back , turning back to the counter where she had left Lopez’s sample.

“Let’s have a look at Pendleton. I can grab a sample from her as well and we can go from there”

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:56 pm 
Beta Site CMO

"You should try it," chuckled Claire. She suddenly had a mental image of Sophie trying desperately to push away imagined strands of hair from the inside of her scuba mask. A silly image, but it made her smile. "Try it off the coast of En Zed. I think one of my favourites is White Island, off Whakatane. Oh, and you have to try diving in Fiordland!"

Abruptly, Claire stopped talking, looking sheepish. She had no right to be getting enthusiastic over something so inconsequential when two women lay gravely ill.

She couldn't help snorting with laughter, though, at comment on their attire. "Maybe we should supply these to all the old drunks you stumble over in Colorado Springs," she said dryly. In fact, she could think of a few people at the SGC who might benefit from wearing one permanently. Her smile grew darker at that thought.

Claire shrugged. "Us surgeons are one trick ponies," she admitted. "Slash 'em and stitch 'em up, then that's my job done." Of course, that was an oversimplification of her job, but as close as dammit. "It's the diagnosticians who are going to win this one for us." There was no harm in admitting the truth.

Nodding, Claire grabbed another sterile sample pack, and headed for the door. She held it open, giving a mock bow. "After you, ma'am."

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:16 pm 
Civilian

Sophie raised an eyebrow as Claire suddenly started enthusing over some popular spots before seemingly reining herself in. It wasn’t hard to imagine why, after all there were times and places to discuss things, and perhaps in the midst of an ongoing mysterious contagion investigation wasn’t one of them.

“Ah, but if we give them to all the drunks then we won’t be headlining the fashion anymore!” She smirked, and imagined a particular fellow who was always three sheets to the wind whenever she popped in for a glass on occasion.

“The diagnosticians might do most of the leg work but I’m sure they can share a little thunder”

She moved past Claire, and offered a small curtsy as she did. “Dressed up pretty, and treated like a lady – You do show a biochemist a good time” She laughed as the door closed to behind them. She liked the good Dr, she made the adjustment so much easier to the S.G.C, helping to prevent the complete culture shock. She’d defiantly have to make an effort to try and grab some time in a non-professional capacity at some point.

“Whakatane? That’s Ohope beach isn’t it. That place is gorgeous. We spent a week camped at Matata Reserve – The hiking trails were amazing. I’d love to have you talk me through a few good spots sometime” She threw the invite out there, thinking that it might prove beneficial for the Dr to get a little down time at some point before she cracked under the pressure she seemed to be piling on herself.

Leaving the sterile air lock, Sophie turned her focus back to the task at hand for the time being, this time less hesitant to approach and assess the patient. Pendleton, at a cursory glance seemed to be exhibiting much the same outward symptoms as Lopez was, which was unsurprising given the conclusion they had the same thing. Of course that was at first glance, “Any small differences in how Pendleton is presenting?”

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:10 pm 
Beta Site CMO

Claire smiled thinly. Sure, it was doctor humour: no matter how morbid the situation, you either found a joke to fall back on, or you went nuts. Still, it didn't make it any easier to deal with the fact that you were joking around when people were there, sick and dying, and there wasn't a damn thing you could do about it. In fact, the whole shitty thing sucked to the Nth degree.

She shrugged. "I don't care about getting credit, I just want to make sure these women don't die on my watch." After all, saving lives was what she was good at, what she was paid for, and buggered if she was going to just let these two go.

Claire grinned. "You're welcome," she chuckled. "After all, we're not going to get courtesy from the blokes around here, so we might as well provide it ourselves." One of the dangers of working in a masculine, military-oriented environment. Not that she minded. After all, she had grown up being one of the guys, and that had never really changed.

"And I'd love to talk you through a few good spots." Talking about home made it easier to bear, as opposed to making her miss it more. It was a strange, thin comfort, but comfort nonetheless. "Next time you go, make sure you're there for... oh, I don't know, a year at least again. It's worth it."

Pendleton, if it was possible, looked worse than Lopez. There was barely a patch of normal-coloured skin left, and the sheet was stained with the acid yellow of the pus that seeped from the lesions. "She looks far more advanced than Lopez, actually," mused Claire, knitting her brows together in thought. "I'd say she's a couple of hours ahead. Either there's something that's causing the disease to develop faster in her, or she caught it well before Lopez." The latter seemed unlikely.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:43 pm 
US Air Force

As Jake left the ICU, his mind immediately trailed back to the two women he had glanced in on earlier that day. His attention was stolen from their case earlier when one of the two soldiers with staff burns from a recent mission had crashed. It had taken a couple hours to get him stabilized. It now looked as if they would both make it though.

Jake headed to the main area of the infirmary where the offices were. He wanted to see if he could find Claire. She seemed to be taking point on the SG-19 team. He walked over to where her desk was, and noticed it was empty. Damn, missed her again. Maybe she had gone to the isolation rooms to check on the two patients?

Jake left, falling into his standard brisk-but-no-quite-running pace he had been forced to adopt as a resident. He quickly arrived at the isolation rooms, and could see two bodies in full hazmat suits inside, examining the two women.

He hit the intercom button to communicate with those inside the room. "Dr. Te Atua? Is that you in there?" He smiled at the two bodies through the transparent observation wall, awaiting a response.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:54 pm 
Civilian

Check her out, here she was, new job, new country and she was making friends. Mum would be so proud.

Rolling her eyes at the inwardly sarcastic monologue interrupting her conscious conversation, Sophie managed a small smile that she hadn’t seemed too forward in her attempt to encourage something other than professional civilities.

Of course that was provided that they managed to drag themselves away from work, and its apparent ability to provide even the most seasoned of Dr’s with anthrax on crack!

Scoping the yellowing sheets, Sophie was thankful the suits were air tight, she didn’t want to smell what she expected the odour would be. The sores looked so much worse as she got closer, and they seemed to be everywhere, there wasn’t anywhere Sophie could pick out at first glance that wasn’t pustulant and raw.

“Shit” Sophie couldn’t stop the words from spilling out as she took the sight in completely.
“If the disease is progressing faster in Pendleton, we need to go through ALL differences, however slight, in the medical history, hell the genetic make up between her and Lopez” She fiddled with the bag in her hand, rolling the sample tube within it, up and down inside the plastic wrapper.
“If Pendleton somehow caught it before hand, then figuring out HOW it was transmitted to Lopez might give us another clue” Blowing air out in a long slow stream, Sophie was beginning to feel Claire’s earlier pessimism start to settle into her own mind, before she could begin to voice the negative stream that was starting to form, she was alarmed at the sudden interruption of a third voice.

Turning slowly, she took in the tall, and relatively handsome figure on the other side of the glass.
Offering her own smile, and hazmat suit encumbered wave Sophie looked side wards at Claire, figuring it rude to answer on her behalf.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:16 am 
Beta Site CMO

Claire could spot the moment that Sophie realised the magnitude of what they were up against, and she tossed the other woman a sympathetic smile. "Now you know why I've been tearing my hair out on this," she said, shaking her head, although the helmet barely moved. Bloody suit.

She nodded. "I'll make sure that you get sent a copy of the notes for both of them, there should be a full medical history already on the system, which I can grant you access to temporarily," said Claire, her eyes critically scouring Pendleton's body. Every instinct screamed at her that the woman's internal organs were giving up, everything failing, but her vitals denied that hypothesis. In fact, her heart rate was strong and regular, the rhythmic "beep" from the machines cutting through the charged quiet of the room.

"From what was said when they came back in, I don't think the team was separated at all, so if Pendleton developed it first, then I think it's likely going to be something directly affecting her, rather than something contracted through the environment."

However, Claire's musing was interrupted by a crackle through the intercom, and she turned, smiling and raising her eyebrows at Jake Patterson. She never did know whether to call him "doctor" or "Captain". One of these days, she would likely ask him which it should be, but, for now, she had other things on her mind. "Dr Patterson," she said, her voice tired. "What's up?"

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:37 pm 
US Air Force

As both suits turned, Jake saw both were women and one was, indeed, Dr. Te Atua. Jake smiled at the two, and then looked over at the two patients. They didn't look good. His smile dropped from his face.

"I hope I'm not interrupting anything. I've been working over in the ICU, but heard there were a couple serious cases here. I know they are in very capable hands already, but figured I would stop by to see if I could offer any assistance."

Jake knew Dr. Te Atua was completely capable of handling whatever was thrown at her, but he had also learned early on in his career that several sets of eyes on a case could more easily spot things than one set, especially when it came to diagnostics of an unknown illness.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:36 pm 
Civilian

Sophie couldn’t do much more than shake her head as Claire voiced out loud the frustration that she had been through with this so far. Sophie hadn’t thought the Dr had been over clocking herself by any means, it just seemed that the adage of walking in someone’s shoes to understand where they were at, had never seemed so true as it did now.

Still, armed with full notes, samples from both and a copy of the field report, maybe there was hope on the horizon.

The tall hunk of interruption seemed interested in pitching his brain into the mix as well, and Sophie offered a small smile as he paid them both a compliment, well, it was more of a platitude, especially given that he seemed to be hinting for an invite to the party.

“I think I have pretty much everything I need at the moment. It’s your call, but I’m happy to enlist another brain to fry if you are?”

She palmed the sample from Lopez, and waited for Claire to grab a swatch from Pendleton. She was starting to get sticky inside the suit, and wanted out, itching for both some fresh air, and the chance to get some tests started.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next