All times are UTC

Post subject: Time To Go TAG: Taft
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:12 am 
Atlantis Expedition Deputy CMO

Sunday November 16th 2014, 13:25

The last couple of days had been filled with frenetic activity. From the moment she and Caleb had arrived in the mountain yesterday morning at seven, to that very moment, Claire had barely stopped. She had managed to snatch a few hours of sleep with Caleb in her quarters overnight, but, otherwise, she was caught up with preparation for the upcoming move to Atlantis. It was her responsibility to stock the operating rooms, to make sure they had enough surgical supplies to last until they were able to source more. Knowing nothing about the Pegasus galaxy, who knew when that would be?

Still, Claire made sure that she had everything that would satisfy her for several months, including emergency medications and drugs, to ensure that mpst eventualities would be covered. Disposable instruments, re-usable instruments, the same with dressings, anaesthesia, surgical monitors, oxygen... the list went on. In fact, Claire had requisitioned a MALP for medical supplies alone. She was just glad that Carson had allowed her free rein over her supplies.

She glanced at the coffee pot. That was something she was going to miss. Claire was under no illusions that the coffee supplies would last long. Okay, perhaps they would find an alternative, but there was no guarantee. Still... she got up from behind her desk and poured herself the dregs from the pot: thick, gloopy and strong, and she savoured its flavour. This was probably the last time she would get the chance to taste this. Well, at least the stuff that had been stewing in the pot for hours.

Taking her seat again, she started to flick through the paperwork on her desk, first and foremost the suggestions that Janet had made for someone to replace her as deputy. Top of Claire's list was Jake Patterson - he would do a great job - but she didn't know whether he would take it. Perhaps she would sit down with him when he came on shift later, talk him into it. He could probably do with the extra money, if nothing else.

Claire was knocked from her reverie by a sharp knock on her office's door. "Come in," she called, flipping the folder closed. It wouldn't do for someone without clearance to see the personnel files she was flipping through.

Post subject: Re: Time To Go TAG: Taft
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:33 am 
US Marines

Sgt. Major David Taft came through the door, very rigid and very precise. Just like he was on an official errand and addressing a military officer. That sweet spot that Sergeants learned to hit where everything was right but one still got the impression there was nothing in the world that would impress them beneath the rank of two star General. He came to a stop before her desk and then turned to face her where she was standing, precisely square. "Figures the only Chicken Shaker I like would decide to move to another galaxy. Over a boy, no less." First salvo away, and he smirked to take the bite out of it.

"Any chance I can get you to sign off on a couple of physicals before you go?" That'd save him a lot of time, since nobody could read a doctor's signature to begin with so nobody would notice a woman ten billion light years away was clearing him. There were two books tucked under his arm but they seemed a detail to his position for the moment.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:18 am 

If Claire was surprised to see Taft at her door, she didn't show it. It seemed as though the world and his wife had been to-ing and fro-ing in and out of the infirmary since yesterday, either wanting things done before some of the medical staff upped and left, or just wanting to say goodbye. Claire had become a past master at talking and doing. Taft, though... well, unlike some, he was a welcome visitor, despite his barbed comment.

"When are you going to learn to take that stick out of your arse, Sarge, and relax like the rest of us," she grinned, nodding to the chair in front of her desk. "Pull up a pew." She shot him a sidelong glance, a small, lopsided smile on her lips, her eyes sparkling. "And I'm not leaving over 'a boy', as you put it." The smile turned into a grin. "He's a full-grown man, I'll have you know!" Taft knew, though, that Caleb wasn't the reason she was going to Atlantis, although he was definitely the catalyst.

"Cuppa," she asked, nodding towards the small table with the coffee machine, jug and an array of drinks. "I don't have that sweet shit you like to call 'tea', though." Claire laughed as he asked her to sign off on a couple of physicals. "What? You afraid you're this close to being tossed on the scrapheap?" She held her fingers up, less than a centimetre apart. "You'll be fine, you big baby. You think most people would dare to do anything other than declare you fit for duty?"

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:55 am 
US Marines

"When the rest of you no longer need me protecting you from them. Or I'm dead, I'm told that's extremely relaxing after a couple of hours of high tension." Rigor mortis would not be denied, though everything that made Taft... well, Taft, would be long gone by the time that even got started. Barring Zombie plague, of course. He took a chair and snorted softly. "He's not a Marine, he's Army. Boy toy, like having one of those little dogs that fits in your purse instead of a Rottweiler." He wasn't good enough for her. Wore the wrong color of dress uniform. It was as simple as that.

"Then you don't have tea." Taft glanced at the table after he stated the simple fact, considering his options and deciding on unbrewed tea. "Water will be fine, if you're keen on filling a glass with something. I'm not afraid of anything, other than dying while unconscious on a voodoo altar." That was to say, a surgery table. "Which reminds me, I got you some things to take with you on your little holiday while the rest of us stay her and cover your work." He held out the mini-stack of two books.

The first was medical herbalism book, essentially an encyclopedia of medicinal uses for as wide a variety of plants as the editors had been able to fit into the space alloted. It was a fairly thick book. The second was a book of voodoo spells, and obviously of less reliable sourcing than the first. That was the gag gift. "I figured you probably already know all the spells, so I added the sciency one in case you want to branch out."

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:24 am 

Claire shot Taft a pointed look. "You'll bed dead if you don't learn to relax, you know." She threw her hands up in mock resignation. "But hey, after today, you're not my problem any more. I'll leave it to Janet to kick your arse." Actually, Claire didn't think that Taft knew how to relax, not in the true sense of the word. Even in his downtime, he seemed starched and tense, ever the soldier, never the man. It was a sad state of affairs, in a way.

Rolling her eyes, Claire chuckled. "Royal Navy. Not army," she reminded Taft, a smirk of her own on her lips. "And he's a Brit. They make them tougher than you American wusses." She might be a confirmed Kiwi, but she was of the opinion that the British forces - especially the SAS and the SBS - far outstripped the American military in calibre. Still, she'd left Taft have his little pipe dreams. "If I was after a yappy little rat, I'd have started dating an American." She narrowed her eyes, getting ready for a tease of her own. "Sounds like jealousy to me."

"No, I have proper tea, you know, the hot kind? The stuff you can make so strong it would corrode the spoon?" Not that she drank tea very often, but she always made sure she had a supply in her office. "Water it is," she replied, getting to her feet and grabbing a bottle from the small fridge. She tossed it to Taft, even as he made another comment about surgeons being no better than voodoo witch doctors. "Well, at least you know it won't be my altar you die on. Maybe I ought to set up a sweepstake for the guys staying behind, work out who's going to be elbow deep in your guts when you finally kark it."

Taking her seat again, Claire accepted the books, and an expression of pure, grateful surprise suffused her features. The book on medical herbalism would likely come in seriously handy. And then she saw the voodoo book, and laughed out loud. "Thank you," she said, her voice quiet and sincere, despite the fact that the gift was as big a tease as Taft's words. "It means a lot."

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:22 am 
US Marines

He smirked back. "Is that what the runes tell ya?" Taft was one of the best relaxers in the game, he just didn't let people know about it. It helped that none of the ways he relaxed required other people and, in fact, often required other people be absent. And it appeared that Claire hadn't figured out him and Fia. Which was good, the longer it took others to figure out the harder it would be for somebody to level a credible accusation of fraternization (it would be false, regardless, but people did silly things when they got their nose out of joint). "I like Janet, her pupils dilate when I give her the thousand yard stare. Then she gives me my aspirin and lets me go about my business."

Taft rolled his eyes at the correction. "Oh, Taxi Driver. My mistake." The Navy ferried the Marines around, that was their purpose (and occasionally shooting missiles, stupidly big guns, and/or providing air support though they were generally terrible at the last one which was why every branch had it's own aviators). "Oh yeah, real tough guys. Drinking their tea with their pinkies out, fighting with the French for a 100 years or so before losing to a peasant girl who heard voices, getting beating back by a slap dash army in the Revolution, then bailed out of two World Wars... just absolute beasts." He indulged her too much, honestly, but he couldn't blame her for wanting to prop up her dandy of choice. "Jealousy? No, he isn't my type."

"I know of several substances that can do that, wouldn't imbibe any of them. Not sure why you would hold that up as a positive for... anything..." Taft shook his head in that way that said 'oh, poor dear.' He caught the water bottle easily and cracked the seal. "Can I put money on it being a Gou'ald who's crying because he's just realized he's not getting his arms back?" He could leave the money to his mom, so she could pay for the plane ticket to come visit him. North Carolina to the Green Lands was probably a long flight. Two, since even if you were flying to Hell you'd have to change planes in Atlanta.

Taft nodded at her thanks. "Figure you'd need some alternatives when the supplies started to run out, and if there is anything I've learned while in the SGC it's that life is life. There may be a few unique things out there from time to time but in general things tend to be the same everywhere. Pine trees, for instance. I swear 90% of the worlds we've been to have pine trees."

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:57 am 

"No, this time I used a scrying bowl, just for a little variety," Claire replied, her tone somewhat more serious than her words. Taft was one of the blokes she worried about. He was always so full-on, operating at maximum all the time, and she couldn't help but think that he was going to work himself into an early grave if he wasn't careful. She narrowed her eyes at the comment about Janet, before giving Taft a slow, sneaky, smile. "Don't go expecting that any more," she said, her voice firm and resolute. "I've wised her up to some of your dirty tricks. No getting away with it any more!"

She rolled her eyes again. "Why do I get the feeling you don't particularly like Caleb," Claire said, her voice ringing with laughter. She couldn't give a shit whether or not Taft approved. Caleb made her happy, and that was that. She snorted as he told her that Caleb wasn't his type. "Well, that's good, because I don't think you're his either." She quirked her eyebrows upwards. "I was thinking more along the lines of you needing to get laid, actually. Might... loosen you up a bit." She knew that Taft had been divorced a few times, and, even though there had been the odd rumour around base about him being seen with a woman, there had been nothing recent. "Sounds to me like you've got a bit of the old blue balls going on."

Claire laughed. "You've never heard of builder's tea, have you? Strong as you can make it, milk, two sugars. Can't stand the stuff, myself. Give me sump oil coffee any day." Despite tea being more popular than coffee in New Zealand, Claire was nothing more than an occasional consumer. She arched an eyebrow upwards as Taft made his bet. "Done. Ten dollars on that, then," she asked, mentally working out who she could get to run the sweepstake. Jake might do it, otherwise it ought to be one of the surgeons.

"Thanks," she said again, taking another sip of her coffee. "Makes me wonder what weird and wonderful shit we can make from pine trees now." She'd have to sit down with one of the botanists, and a biochemist, she supposed, to work out what could be used as a replacement for which drug. She sighed briefly, glancing around her office. "You know, I'm trying to work out what I'm going to miss about earth. Aside from my family, that is." She grinned, placing her cup down. "In a perverse sort of way, I reckon you'll be someone I miss." She paused, giving him a more cheeky smile. "Maybe."

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:16 am 
US Marines

"Well, variety... spice of life... something like that." Taft rolled his hand in the air, not trying to hard to voice the whole thing. "That's why I also carry a sidearm on missions. A 9mm makes a wonderful punctuation to the end of a sentence." He snorted in amusement at the whole idea of Janet growing a steel spine just because Dr. Atua, Medicine Woman, happened to come around and say "don't jump when he says boo." Most people lost their nerve when he stared at something just the other side of their head.

Taft raised an eyebrow. "Because, like most civilian women you read entirely too much into the interaction between military men. Or their social overlap, at any rate. I like him just fine. If he does you right I'll be the first to wish you both all the happiness in the world, if he does you wrong I'll help you bury his body in the hills. Deep, so the scavengers don't dig him up." All conversational, perfectly normal. Same galaxy, different galaxy, parallel universes. Whatever. Kill the guy and Taft will bring the shovels. "I have had sex before. More than once, more than one woman. Lots of fun." He could give Tommy Lee Jones a run for his money with the generally unmoved way in which he delivered his information.

"Where I'm from builders drink mass amounts of coffee. Works as fuel, hydraulic fluid, etc. Except this one guy, all he would drink was hot caffeine free diet Pepsi. Fortunately, I never developed an interest in it. Made Basic a much easier experience, compared to the poor bastards who had to try to get to the one pot the DIs would allow to be put on. Being the only one looking awake made them focus less on me, but then made me responsible for keeping the rest up to speed... so mixed blessing I suppose." Taft pulled some cash out of his breast pocket and put the ten on the desk.

"Pine resin can be applied directly over a cut to stem blood flow almost at once, it will also inhibit the growth and spread of bacteria because it denies the bacteria the moisture it needs to survive. It's also good for waterproofing seams and materials, makeshift candle, with some charcoal from a fire you can turn heated resin into a kind of survival glue, and with some work it can help in starting fires. Pine needle tea is also an excellent source of vitamin c, it's how the first European settlers in the future United States overcame the Scurvy that was killing them when they arrived." Taft threw it all out there, like it was perfectly normal to know all of this stuff. But of course he did, he was the kind of guy everybody just assumed would know how to survive the end of the world anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:34 am 

Claire got the impression that Taft was trying to say something else - or maybe trying to avoid saying something - but she let it slide. This was her last day on earth, and she didn't want to go getting into deep, philosophical discussions. This was a day for making some last, fond memories to take with her, even if she still had far too much to do. "You military types, always so overstated," she said, shaking her head in amusement. She'd seen Taft do what needed to be done on Tollana, and respected his decision to do so. If it hadn't been for her oath, she would have alleviated the boy's suffering herself.

She smiled as Taft clarified his position on Caleb. Sometimes, with the military - especially the hardarse types like Taft - it was hard to know whether or not he was being serious. "You don't have anything to worry about," she said simply. "Caleb's a good bloke, and... well, I don't think I'm going to have to come to you to ask for help hiding the body." Caleb had been just as hurt as she had been in the past, just as scared of committing to someone, and it was something they were working through together. It wouldn't be easy, especially having to adapt to life in another galaxy, but she was certain they would get through it.

Claire laughed as Taft assured her he had had sex before, and her eyes narrowed with suspicion. "Get yourself a woman, Taft, it'll work wonders," she chuckled. She wondered whether there was someone in his life, someone he was hiding away, just the way she and Caleb had tried to hide it at first. She'd be the first to be happy for him if there was someone. Ah, to hell with it. Might as well ask. "Is there someone, Sarge? Someone you're keeping tucked away somewhere? You might as well spill your guts, who'm I going to tell when I several million light years away?"

She grinned as he bragged about why it had been better for him not to drink coffee on basic training. "To each his own, I reckon," she replied, shrugging. "All the more for me." Quietly, she took the ten, leaving it on the desk. "If I can find someone to run the sweepstake, I'll let you know. If not... I'll tape it to the underside of this desk. Come and look for it tomorrow, after we've gone." Suddenly, it all seemed so final.

Claire listened with interest as Taft spewed out a remarkable amount of knowledge about pine resin, and she chuckled, shaking her head. "Where the fuck'd you learn all of that," she laughed, not quite believing that this was the same rough, tough soldier she'd come to know over the past year. "You memorise this book or something?"

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:34 am 
US Marines

"We're the military, we were never really meant to be the subtle option. Overstated is part of the gig." Marine Raiders especially. Sure, Raider operations usually started off pretty quiet and stealthy but they always ended with a series of bangs. All in the name of tactical superiority, of course.

Taft snorted. "That's what my sister always says, and they always end up being slime or just as irresponsible as she is." Not that he'd ever had to hide a body for her, the guys usually disappeared of their own accord just about the time they were even a little bored or tired of her bullshit or the next pretty girl came along. "Of course you don't have to come to me, a call from an unrelated landline would probably be better anyway. Anything that leaves a gap in the investigating officer's narrative is a good thing."

"I've had myself women, there's little to recommend the investment so far." Until recently, but that was still new. Like buying a car, you had to put some mileage on it before you knew what a relationship was really worth. Lemon or old trusted ally, continuing the allusion in his head. "You've got a whole day right here on Earth to breathe one word of it here on base, which would be the same as taking out a billboard on the interstate. But, obviously, that means the answer is yes. Well, sorta. She's my girlfriend in the most grade school definition of the word." For some reason he couldn't help but think saying "she's Catholic" would just give way too much away.

He shrugged off the ten dollar bill. "Donate it to the widows and orphans fund."

"Part of it growing up, part in school, part of it in the Scouts, part in Basic, part in reading, part in advanced training. Here and there, basically. Anything to help me avoid you quacks getting to play 'guess what that organ does' with my innards. What, did you think I'm joking when I say rub some dirt on it?" He tsked at her in mock disappointment. "Obviously, you've got to use the right kind of dirt but I wouldn't recommend it if I didn't know it worked."