All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:40 am 
US Air Force

October 3rd, 2014 - 10:00

Caiden woke up at 0600 in the morning for his shift and today was physical day or medical check up day. Caiden may be a trauma surgeon and flight surgeon qualified but working at any military base and the SGC, in particular he deals with other medical problems all the time. He is more of a general practitioner than he is a surgeon but sometimes he gets lucky and gets himself some interesting cases, the bloodier the better, as long as they live...

Caiden went to eat some breakfast, just some toast and fruit loops, they don't normally go together but this morning they did with orange juice. Caiden isn't a big coffee fan but does drink it when he needs to be kept awake, the taste and caffeine does the trick.

Caiden had some paperwork to catch up on and then it was time to wait for any patients who wanted to get their yearly check up done and over with. Off-world team members get one whenever they return from an off-world mission but they still have to get physicals as do the other military members and even the civilians, though they don't necessarily have too.

Everyone at the SGC is required to get a physical before being allowed to go off-world or to be cleared for off-world travel, regardless of rank or if they're a civilian member of the SGC. The galaxy is a dangerous place and aliens come in all shapes and sizes as seen with the Goa'uld's and the foothold aliens. Just because they look like snakes doesn't mean they can't harm humans, sure rattlesnakes are dangerous but not as much as a Goa'uld, rattlesnakes can't take control of a human although they are venomous.

Caiden sat a work station in the infirmary doing his paperwork waiting for his first patient of the day, four hours and so far, it's been quiet...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:16 am 
US Air Force

Any takers?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:22 am 
Civilian

She had three red bumps on her lower back. They appeared the day before and it was fine until they got itchy and now the area was red and Gerry was nervous because she knew it was nothing. She was in perfect health and cleared for duty and any off-world mission or Atlantis if she was one of the picks. But her back was itchy and she handled samples sometimes from places out of this planet and Gerry didn't want to be responsibly for spreading a maybe contagious and fatal disease around the base because she didn't see a doctor.

They were probably mosquitoes bites. Gerry was certain of that but off she went to the infirmary anyway to embarrass herself by asking a possibly busy doctor to check her back for an extraterrestrial skin condition. That was very embarrassing. Thankfully the place didn't look so busy and she talked to a nurse briefly who motioned her the doctor on call - Gerry assumed - before walked away to grab her medical file.

"Hi," Gerry said quietly with a light wave of a hand to try catch the doctor's attention. "Good morning," she added quietly, cursing herself inwardly for forgetting her manners. "The nurse sent me over," Gerry explained somewhat awkwardly. She wasn't supposed to be there. She should be in her lab avoiding spacial diseases. "I have..." she bit her lip. "Could you... Gerry sighed and closed her eyes briefly. She drew in a deep breath and smiled. "I have something on my back."

I know my heart beats and I listen to it. The beat is biology, but what is the song?"

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:03 am 
US Air Force

Caiden sat at his desk when the first patient came in. Caiden heard the female voice and didn't recognize it, he heard the nurse, who was also new and she motioned the civilian my way. It was easy to tell the civilians from the military types, military types whether enlisted or commissioned officers were always assertive, dominant, leaders, mostly anyways, they also wore uniforms which is a dead giveaway. The civilians were usually more shy, passive and well nerdy... there was nothing wrong with nerdy, Caiden was more on the nerdy side especially when it came to biology, chemistry and the human body.

Caiden heard the obviously shy civilian, obviously a Ph.D. in something and obviously intelligent, she does look young for a Ph.D. grad. Caiden motioned for her to sit on the stretcher or the hospital bed, same thing really. Caiden gloved up and walked behind her so he could look at her back. "Could you lift your shirt for me so I could get a look at your back?" Caiden asked not sure what to expect but he had seen a lot and even more than he cared to in the SGC much more so than the Air Force, David Grant Medical Center in California. He was a trained trauma surgeon but he mostly did general surgery there except for those random traffic accidents and such.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:24 pm 
Civilian

Gerry hopped on the bed and gesticulated nervously a little. She knew she was making a big deal of this because it was nothing, perhaps allergies? She almost never had any allergies but she was in contact with outer space specimens now and it could be that.

'It's still mosquitoes bites. You'll see.' She told herself.

"Sure," Gerry said looking over her shoulder when the doctor asked her to lift her shirt. "I'm sorry for troubling you with this. I'm sure you have more important things to deal with but,' she kept explaining herself. "I just want to be sure I'm not contagious," she laughed lightly and awkwardly.

Gerry never had any issues seeing doctors. Check-ups were something regular for her and it usually went smoothly. If she was coming off as nervous it was likely due to her overreacting about this whole thing, but she was healthy and cleared for duty and as much as gate travel still scared her a little she didn't want to miss out on any opportunities. "I noticed the redness and the bumps yesterday but it spread out. It's itchy so maybe that's why it spread," she related as she pulled her shirt up to show him the area.

I know my heart beats and I listen to it. The beat is biology, but what is the song?"

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:09 am 
US Air Force

"I'm sorry for troubling you with this. I'm sure you have more important things to deal with but, I just want to be sure I'm not contagious." The patient said as she lifted her shirt and Caiden took a look noticing the bumps. Caiden wasn't sure where it happened, if it was on Earth, Caiden would say most likely mosquito bites but if it happened off-world then... that could be something or not. "Not a problem, that is why we're here." Caiden said then turned his focus to the issue at hand. "Okay, when did you first notice this and where did it happen?"

Caiden was a big fan of the wilderness and hiking and was used to mosquito bites and they are annoying and itching although you can die from mosquito bites since they can transmit deadly viruses like West Nile Virus or even meningitis.

"I noticed the redness and the bumps yesterday but it spread out. It's itchy so maybe that's why it spread." The patient said again and Caiden was finished examining the area and walked over to get hydrocortisone cream and handed it to her. "Well, it does look like a mosquito bite but if it did happen off-world it could be more or less serious. Therefore I will draw some blood and test it and you can take the hydrocortisone cream and lather it on yourself."

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:51 pm 
Civilian

The doctor seemed nice enough and she felt bad for wasting his time, but she could still use his medical expertise to get rid of the itchy bumps even if she wasn't contagious or dying or anything particularly dreadful. Gerry glanced over her shoulder at him while he examined the area and then shook her head.

"Oh no! I haven't been offworld," she told him with a light chuckle. She had been through the gate a total of two times and she hadn't caiught any infections which she counted a a blessing. She was only shot at in one of those mission. That was actually another blessing. "I've been safe in my lab but I handle specimens of microorganisms and other collections so maybe it was something like that," Gerry explained her reasoning for the slight freak out.

"And okay...about the blood and the cream," she added with a smile as she examined the hydrocortisone he had handed her. "I'm Dr. Chandler by the way," Gerry had realized she hadn't introduced herself and the nurse hadn't brought her medical chart yet. "Geraldine Chandler."

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:50 am 
US Air Force

"Oh no! I haven't been offworld." She said and Caiden just nodded, that was a good thing. If it happened here then it's probably just mosquito bites, if it did happen off-world it could be anything... "I've been safe in my lab but I handle specimens of microorganisms and other collections so maybe it was something like that." Great, Caiden sighed, then it could be from a big off-world.

"Okay. Well we'll keep our eyes on it and you need to keep your hands off it, scratching it will only make it worse, as you're well aware." "And okay...about the blood and the cream." "The cream, all you have to do is rub it onto the affected area. For the blood, I will need to take just a vial's worth." Caiden said as he walked over to where the supplies are and Caiden takes a blood collection vial, a tourniquet, alcoholic wipes, gauze and a syringe. Caiden takes them with him and walks back over to the woman and places the supplies down next to her.

"I'm Dr. Chandler by the way, Geraldine Chandler." Caiden smiled as he placed new gloves on ready to draw the blood. "Doctor Chandler, I am Doctor Caiden West. Are you new here?" Caiden asked as he looked at her arm to find the best spot to draw the blood as he found it and readied her to draw the blood.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:21 am 
Civilian

Gerry nodded. That seemed a reasonable thing...to keep an eye on the hash to make sure it wouldn't turn into something else; some thing contagious and maybe deadly. Gerry doubted it was anything other than perhaps a small allergic reaction to mosquitoes bites but the doctor was correct on wanting to check other possibilities.

"No scratching. Got it!" she said with a smile. " Don't worry. I'm very good at following directions." Gerry could be very anal about instructions and following them to the letter unless she was on the verge of some amazing discovery. That could make her a bit more impetuous, but she was careful about her healthy and that was the priority here.

"How many times a day?" she asked as she extended her arm for him to draw the blood. "The cream...how many times a day should I apply on the area?" She figured three or four times but Gerry didn't want to assume things. He was the medical expert here.

"It's nice meeting you, Dr. West." Gerry offered him her hand, but realized he had his glove on. She chuckled softly. "Sorry...but yeah, I'm sorta new. I've been around for a couple months now. I'm still adjusting, but I've been working elsewhere for a few months already so I'm new but not new to the project, you know? I just wasn't officially assigned to the base," she explained and realized she was rambling.

"Sorry. I tend to get carried away. You can shut me up." Gerry flashed him a grin and went on. "Have you been here long?"

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:02 am 
US Air Force

"No scratching. Got it! Don't worry. I'm very good at following directions." She said and Caiden returned the smile. Most people like to discard medical advice and go on to making things worse to the point where we need to put our feet down and sometimes take them off of active duty and restrain them, if it comes to that. "Good."

"How many times a day?" she asked as she extended her arm for Caiden to draw the blood. "The cream...how many times a day should I apply on the area?" Caiden drew the blood and placed the vial on the tray and placed the gauze where the syringe was and applied pressure. "Only twice a day and you should need it for a couple of days. I want you to come back in three days and it should be gone by then." Insect bites are generally easy to treat as long as they don't pass on any diseases, although mosquito's are known to be one of the few that do, though it is rare.

"It's nice meeting you, Dr. West." Caiden heard her say as he started to clean up and he saw her try to shake his hand before realizing he is wearing a glove, he smiled as she laughed at her realization. "Sorry...but yeah, I'm sorta new. I've been around for a couple months now. I'm still adjusting, but I've been working elsewhere for a few months already so I'm new but not new to the project, you know? I just wasn't officially assigned to the base."

"It's nice meeting you as well, Doctor Chandler. No need to apologize. It takes everyone time to adjust here, outside of this mountain you won't find anything as strange as anything you'd find here. From aliens to alien technology to strange new worlds and encounters, this is the last place you'd expect to find any of that, yet we travel to other worlds through a damn wormhole created by an ancient alien device. It is pretty awesome but yeah definitely strange. It took me time to adjust here too and everything I learned in medical school and during residency and fellowship training didn't prepare me for dealing with half the things we do here."

"Sorry. I tend to get carried away. You can shut me up. Have you been here long?" Caiden had to think about that one, how long was he here for? It felt like an eternity... "Just over a year or so, now, I believe. Maybe a year and a half. I have no problem having a conversation, Doctor, I have no other patients at this time."

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]