All times are UTC

Post subject: Don't Skewer Yourself
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:06 pm 
US Air Force

September 14th, 2014, Early Afternoon

Don't overdo it, love. Thomas had said. And he had been right. Trying to perfection her high kicks when she was unfocused had been the biggest mistake all week. Oddly, she had not hurt her leg in the process. Instead she had fallen backwards, like some unskilled idiot. As her hand touched her left shoulder, Sun cringed. With over 25 years of kung fu practice, she was pretty used to little injuries and had learned to treat most herself. But this time, it did not feel like such a trifle.

After her fall, a hot pain had sliced through her neck and shoulder. At first, Sun had pretended to ignore it. But when she had ended her exercise and stashed away the sword, the shoulder had started swelling. It was a definite sign that she might need some help this time.

So here she was now, grudgingly shuffling towards the infirmary. Had it been the end of her shift, she would have gone home to have her husband look after it instead. But it was not, so she had to make do with whoever was on duty. As she walked inside, to look for that individual, Sun pondered what silly things had possibly done to her shoulder: Was it just bruised, or even dislocated?

When she had fallen, her sword had been in her hand, too. But at least she had not drawn blood ... or had she? Frowning, she reached over to touch the skin on the back of her neck. Her fingers traveled across one of her many scars. There was nothing. But when they slid further left, a sticky wetness coated her fingertips. Startled, Sun withdrew her hand. When she looked at it she swore inwardly. So much for not skewering herself....

When she looked up from her hand, she saw Doctor Te Atua approaching. This was going to be embarrassing... After awarding her a brief nod instead of a greeting, Sun cleared her throat.

Are you on duty, doctor? If you are, I might have a little issue in need of your attention...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:24 pm 
Atlantis Expedition Deputy CMO

Claire was flat out that afternoon. SG-13 had come in hot, less than an hour after their departure that morning, and she had spent the best part of four hours patching up a poor bloke who had only been at the SGC for a month. It looked as though he would be lucky to have the use of both kidneys again, although Claire had done everything in her power to make sure he came through as intact as possible. Only time would tell now, whether the repairs made to his kidney would hold, or whether she would end up having to remove it.

She was still in her scrubs from the operation, scrawling on the man's chart as she strode across the infirmary to her office, when she got accosted by Major Sharpe, asking to be seen to.

Looking around the infirmary, Claire checked to see whether there was anyone else who would be able to deal with her. She was about to aim her in the general direction of Doctor Warner, when she figured that it wouldn't be worth the hassle. The Major could be a royal pain the arse, and, sometimes, it just wasn't worth the temper tantrum that would doubtless accompany being redirected.

Still, Airman Peters was her priority at the moment, and she cocked her head down at the chart in her hands. "Just a minute, Major, I'm just finishing something up. Can you walk and talk?"

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:55 pm 
US Air Force

Sun merely nodded. She saw that the doctor was busy. And, even though she was in no condition to trouble her empathy, she realized that now was probably not a good time to disturb her any further. She hated it when others interrupted her in the middle of work, too.

I don't think I'll keel over anytime soon. She muttered, more to herself. This matter was already embarrassing enough; there was no need to complicate it by being an annoyance. Not to mention that this behavior might cause some other, unpleasant repercussions...

I'll just stand over here and wait until you are free. Sun said more loudly. Slower than usually, she walked over to a nearby desk. The pain in her shoulder was unsettling, but not reason enough to sit down. Not to mention that she was not willing to evoke any form of compassion. She did not deserve it. So she just leaned against the table's edge, patiently awaiting her turn.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:13 pm 

The Major didn't look as though she was seriously ill or injured, and Claire wasn't too concerned that she'd asked her to walk and talk. However, there appeared to be a note of petulance to the woman's words after Claire asked her to walk and talk, and she (rather too loudly for someone who was happy to wait) said she'd rather just stand and wait.

Not sit and wait. Stand. Couldn't be that rough, then.

Some doctors would go as slowly as possible with finalising the paperwork they were on, just to make an annoying patient wait a few moments later. Claire wasn't one of those doctors, though. Despite the fact she could have directed Sharpe elsewhere, she made an effort to finish Peters' paperwork as quickly as possible. Pushing a hand back through her hair, before pulling out the ponytail and redoing it, Claire briskly walked over to where the Major was waiting.

"Major Sharpe. What seems to be the problem?" Knowing the woman's bloody reputation, it was probably no more than a sodding broken nail.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:57 pm 
US Air Force

It seemed an inconvenient time indeed. Sun watched the surgeon finish her paperwork. Surprisingly, she rather hurried through it. Someone was obviously having a full day and seemed eager to get all this over with.

And so was Sun. As she waited, her hand had moved toward her back again, in search of the injuries. When she withdrew it this time, her whole palm was covered in a bright red, shiny mass of blood.

Had it only been for the throbbing pain and swelling in her shoulder, she would have left again, to wait out the end of her shift. It would have been selfish to trouble a doctor for such a tiny scratch. Especially seeing how she avoided them, whenever possible. But this find ended all her considerations of an escape.

Now Te Atua turned towards her, much sooner than expected. And there was an unwelcome hint of exasperation in her tone when she addressed her. "Major Sharpe. What seems to be the problem?"

Instead of an immediate reply, Sun held up her blood-soaked hand. Some of it was still runny, so she hoped it would not drip everywhere. Slowly, she stepped away from the table, straightening her posture. As she tried to move her left arm, she felt a resistance. For some reason, the shoulder was starting to grow a bit stiff. It was not a good sign. But she had seen so much worse before.

I have been overzealous with exercise today.
She stated at last, thoroughly ashamed of herself. And so I fell on my shoulder at an idiotic angle.

Here Sun paused, groping for the right words while trying to hold the doctor's gaze. It was not easy. Besides, as you see, I also ... cut myself while I was at it.

She cursed herself. "Cut" probably was an understatement. Having honed her jian only yesterday, she knew exactly the amount of damage it could do. If Thomas were here, he'd probably slap her for her utter stupidity. And she certainly deserved a slap right now.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:53 am 

Claire was more than aware of the Major's eyes boring into her back. Yes, she might have an injury, but if she didn't make sure that Peters' chart was correct with full instructions for his care, the young man might need that second operation after all. That, to Claire, would be a tragedy.

She passed the chart to the nurse who was hovering over Peters' bed. "Fifteen minute obs, meds are on the chart, and I want to know if there's any change, please," she said, giving one last look at the young man prone in the bed. He looked a mere shadow of the rambunctious boy she knew, and she had grave worries for his recovery. The formalities over, she gave a quiet sight, and headed for Major Sharpe.

The Major held up a hand dripping with blood, and, without even needing to think, Claire hopped across to the nearest cabinet and grabbed a dressing. "Put this on the wound, hold it there, and come with me, please," she said, her voice containing a note of urgency. That was a lot of blood, and Claire would bet that there was a trail marking the Major's path through the halls.

Claire led the way to an empty bed. "Hop up there, please, and I'll take a look," she said, her voice tired. "Why didn't you say you were bleeding? I'd have had Doc Warner see you straight away." The Major's lack of information, and insistence on "waiting" may have caused problems, depending on the depth and severity of the wound.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:21 am 
US Air Force

Sun grabbed the dressing and pressed it against the wound. She hated to be scolded; but ultimately, it was just what she deserved. Because it wasn't bleeding as much when I got here. I was of the impression that I had only bruised my shoulder... wondering if I should trouble you at all.

With a sigh, she sat down on the bed. Her shirt was beginning to feel wet. So far, the fabric had managed to soak up almost all the blood. But now, it was slowly reaching its capacity. Yet this was still a mere scratch, compared to the other times Sun had bled.

There had been no blood on her sword, either. Most likely the blade had only nibbed her skin at the edge of her shirt. But it had been enough. Such was the insidious nature of sword cuts. If you got them in the wrong place, even the smallest ones would open up and make a mess.

And this was what eventually made her nervous. Trying not to tense up, to keep the pain at bay, she got ready to hear the doctor's verdict.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:46 pm 

Claire gave the Major a look that was more compassionate than annoyed, and shook her head. "Any bleeding, especially where you can't see it, is a cause for concern, no matter how inconsequential you might think it is," she explained. The number of times she had seen people with a grave injury, who thought it was only a scratch... well, if she had a dollar for every time she had been in that situation, she could retire.

Waiting until the Major sat down, Claire took over the pressure on the dressing, a dressing which was soaking through far faster than she was comfortable with. Grabbing another dressing from the trolley beside the bed, Claire layered it. She wanted to get an idea of the blood flow before taking a look at the wound itself.

"Why don't you tell me what happened," she asked quietly. "And is the wound the only problem?" She had noticed the Major holding her arm stiffly, as though she had limited movement in it, a stance which indicated more than just a simple cut. Nerve and muscle damage could be a real possibility here, both a situation which, if serious enough, could result in a spell under the knife.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:25 pm 
US Air Force

Sun did not like to be lectured. And the doctor was by far not the first to do it. Whenever she insisted that she was fine and that it was only an inconsequential scratch, Thomas would treat her like a little girl, too. And she hated it. Out of reflex, she just rolled her eyes at the unhelpful input.
Of course, the doctor meant well, but her compassion made her even more uneasy. But, for her own sake, Sun tried to keep down her feelings.

"Why don't you tell me what happened," Te Atua asked. "And is the wound the only problem?"

After a long sigh, Sun tried her best to answer the question in a matter-of-fact way. Actually, only one thing happened: I was practicing my high kicks. And then I got distracted and slipped. She had to shake her head at her own clumsiness. I ended up rolling off my whole weight over the one shoulder. And, somehow, my jian got in the way... hence the cut.

Thoughtfully she tried to wriggle her aching shoulder just a little. It was stiff and hurt; but it seemed as though the joint was still firmly in its pan. Sun had dislocated the shoulder before. And she remembered the sensation very well. It had been a lot worse. I think I hurt the shoulder, too. It feels as though it is probably a muscle injury. But you are the expert on that...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:34 am 

Claire was getting the distinct impression that the Major was in a bad temper, and that was nothing unusual. She hadn't worked directly with the woman since coming to the SGC, and, for that, she supposed she ought to be grateful. Her reputation as a "miserable, arrogant bitch", to quote a good friend, preceded her, and the eye-rolling, "I'm too good to be here, so don't make me wait, minion" attitude was plain to see.

Tempting as it was, Claire hadn't made her wait unduly, and certainly wouldn't skimp on the woman's care now.

She gave a small smile. "There's no point rolling your eyes," she said, more than a hint of amusement to her tone, lifting the second dressing for a moment to determine how fast the blood was flowing. Still too fast for her liking. "You're here now, and it's a bloody good thing you are. This is not a small cut, and, left untended, had you managed to staunch the bleeding, I think you'd be left with one hell of a scar." Or scar tissue inside, at the very least, if Claire's hunch about the depth of the cut was correct.

Claire kept her hand pressed down on the dressing, standing behind the Major, as she explained what had happened. "Overzealous would be an understatement, it looks like," she said, shaking her head as she finally lifted both dressings up to get a look at the wound. It was almost nine centimetres long, and would have looked shallow, were it not for the puckering at the edges, the centre of the wound parting like obscene lips.

"Well, Major, you won't be training with your jian - or any serious training at all - for a while," she said, her voice matter of fact. "You've managed to slice down into the muscle, which means that this needs stitching. You've probably come within a millimetre of needing surgery." As it was, the muscle would knit back together, but it would be a long, painful process. "There might also be some nerve damage, but I need to get a closer look."