All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:54 pm 
US Air Force

September 25th, 2014, During the morning shift

It just broke... It just broke??

Incredulously, Sun glared at the young lieutenant in front of her, keeping her tone cool and deadpan. Lieutenant, would you mind explaining to me how a UAV can simply break? And most importantly how you failed to adhere to the proper protocols after this happened...

The lieutenant blushed, stammering under her icy glare. Ma'am... I...

For a split second, Sun felt sorry for him. She would not get a coherent report out of him this way. So she gave him a moment to recover his wits. Do you have anything to say, Sergeant?

Ma'am, I would suggest death rays. Otherwise I would have no idea, either. His tech sergeant teammate offered with dead seriousness.

It was no disrespect this way. This one had been around a bit longer and knew how to annoy her. Sun groaned. This investigation was getting on her nerves already. I see you are not taking this incident seriously... Gentlemen, need I remind you where this incident has left your commanding officer?

Now the two of them started showing at least some amount of guilt. In the infirmary, ma'am. the lieutenant said.

Precisely and how did he end up there?

We... lost the UAV and did not initiate the appropriate emergency protocols in case of missing long-range surveillance data, ma'am? the sergeant replied with a quiet gulp. He knew that she was about to bite off his head.

Sun sighed. And initiating them was your responsibility. By failing to do so, the other half of your team came under attack... Was she surrounded by imbeciles? I would appreciate it if we could establish what exactly happened on the planet and what kept you from following protocol.

Ma'am. the lieutenant piped up almost bravely. We don't know what happened to the UAV and it happened so suddenly that we had almost no time to react accordingly.

Fair enough, lieutenant. Sun stated, calming down a little. Most likely, the UAV failure was not your fault, but I will expect that you two work with me to clear up this mess, so that it will not happen again.

Yes, ma'am. The two men said in unison.

Sun pondered to keep them here for a while longer, but eventually decided against it. They would not get on here, and the briefing room was needed for other meetings this morning. So she decided to give them an unpleasant homework instead. I will have your reports on my desk by 0800 tomorrow. If I am not happy with them, we will meet here again. For a moment she entertained the fantasy of having them write down the mission protocol for surveillance failures underneath. In the meanwhile I shall investigate what befell the UAV. Dismissed.

Glad to be let off the hook so easily, the two men saluted and shuffled out into the hall. Sun allowed herself a moment of peace and quiet. But she could not relax. Grumbling she looked down into the gateroom, where the salvaged debris was still resting at the side of the ramp. At last she marched into the hall, determined to look at it and get it over with.

But she would need some further expertise for it. A technician would have to go down with her. Now, to find one... But she did not have to look for long. As she turned the corner, she found a man that vaguely looked like one. He was tall and rather handsome but this did not deter her from giving him a hard look to stop him.

She looked at him to determine his rank, but it was rather hard. He seemed to be a member of the British Royal Navy. it was not a sight she was accustomed to. She had seen him here before, but failed to recall both his name and job title. For a moment, she wanted to call him "sailor" but quickly thought better of it. Stating her needs would have to do.

I require a technician. I assume you are one, Mister... she added, prompting him to give her his name.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:10 am 
Royal Navy

There was a smart remark right on the tip of Caleb's tongue when he heard a 'Mister' come his way, actually he even had started to say it right up until he turned around and saw that it was Major Sharpe and stopped. He didn't know her personnel but he knew of her, actually for him that said quite a bit he was good with names and he always knew a new face when he saw one. Well for the female population he did.

Caleb gave the Major a salute, “Leading Rate Williams, Ma'am,” he said. He saw that Sharpe did not look to be in the mood for any of his smart comebacks, well not until he knew exactly what the problem was. It wasn't the first time that he had been asked if he could help out with the technicians on base, in fact this was probably about the tenth time he had been asked that day and any hope of being able to get to see Claire that day quickly went out the window.

“What can I do to help?” he asked, salute dropped, posture slightly relaxed now. He was all for helping, even if Major Sharpe did seem to be walking around with a thunderstorm above her head, it didn't phase Caleb. He'd worked with people more angry than her.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:09 pm 
US Air Force

“Leading Rate Williams, Ma'am.”

Sun acknowledged his introduction with a nod, wondering just what it was with the Royal Navy and rank designations.

Williams... She had heard that name before. After she had searched her memory for a moment, she realized where. So this had to be the infamous Caleb Williams. Without having had much personal contact, she recalled that his name and reputation were constantly circling in and out of the base's grapevine.

It was comforting to know that she was not the only one here with a reputation. Warily, she eyed the Navyman for a moment. He seemed quite harmless at first glance and she hoped that he would give her no reason to snap at him. She had hauled enough people over the coals for one day already. But, so far, he was being nice and helpful enough.

There is a damaged UAV down in the gateroom and I have to find out the nature of the malfunction that made it crash. She told him, trying to sound polite, despite her still rotten temper. If you have an idea about these things, I would like you to help me establish what happened to it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:22 pm 
Royal Navy

A downed UAV, that did not happen very often and now Caleb's mind was full of what could have caused said UAV to go down. Which meant he was picturing everything from a wing missing due to weapon blast or to a computer malfunction on board, which if it was the latter then he wasn't going to be of that much help. He could work his way around a computer simply enough, and yes there had even been the odd occasion where he'd needed to fix said computer, but if it was anything too in-depth then the UAV would more than likely end up more broken than fixed.

"Of course Ma'am," he answered with a smile, nothing wrong with trying to break the ice a little. "I suppose the UAV has just come back or was it just leaving? An please, lead the way." He gestured to the Major to go first, nothing wrong with a few manners here and there. He pushed his sleeves up as he started to follow her towards the Gate room, he really hoped it had come back and no one was waiting for the UAV to move out so a team could go out.

There was a little bit of a spring to his step, when he realised it was in the Gate room he was needed, it had been a few days since he'd last seen the Stargate. It was good to remind ones self that his whole job wasn't just some weird dream he was having and he would wake up back in his own bed, he did that be seeing the Gate as much as possible. So yeah this could get interesting.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:23 pm 
US Air Force

The smile and William's gallantry perplexed Sun more than a little. So she met them with a wordlessly cocked eyebrow. It was hard not to turn the look into a suspicious glare. Usually, people were only nice to her when she was not in a bad mood.

Trying to distract herself, she answered the Leading Rate's question as she walked ahead towards the gateroom. From the reports I got, the malfunction and crash occurred a short time after take-off. It had been sent up to determine an unclear battle situation up ahead, but failed to do so, due to the crash.

As she walked into the gateroom, she turned to one of the SF guards who saluted her upon entering. In brief, brisk words she explained her presence and he let her pass, pointing out the wrecked UAV to her. They had stored it some distance away from the gate, in a far corner of the room.

Sun knelt down and gave it a cursory check-up, just as she would do it with a fighter jet after landing. So far, it was largely in one piece. Yet the crash had marked it and a few pieces had been ripped off the fuselage. Those lay next to the UAV, neatly sorted by size. To her, it was a mystery why this bird had fallen down in the first place.

At last, she moved aside to make room for her companion. So, Leading Rate Williams, I hope you've got some ideas...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:19 pm 
Royal Navy

Caleb listened to the Majors explanation, taking in everything she said, sometimes although people didn't think they knew what had caused something to go wrong the very explanation they gave would give an answer. It reminded him off seeing too many 'broken down' cars when he was young teenager with his dad and it was always something they hadn't done before hand. Quick fix.

He followed the Major into the Gateroom, his eyes strayed to the Stargate sat dormant, for now, in the background. It might just be a giant metal ring in the middle of the floor, but the damn thing held power and Caleb could still feel the trace of goosebumps up his back when he looked at it. The engineering part of him, the part that just wanted to fix most things, wanted to take the Gate apart and put it together again, just to see 'how' it works. Another part of him, was terrified to even touch it, if he broke the Stargate it would be much more than his job was worth.

Turning away from the Stargate, Caleb strode across the room, moving out the way of the odd tech running god knows what kind of diagnostics on the Gate, he came to the destruction of the UAV. His stomach dropped slightly at the sight, there were bits all neatly lined up at the side of it, all in a nice neat little row. Which yeah great they got the bits that had fallen off, but he had no idea if they had fallen from the first hole he was looking at or the second.

"Oh I've got a few ideas," he answered, brushing past the Major and crouching down in front of the bits that had come off the UAV. "Who decided that lining all the bits up in size was a good idea?" He asked, picking up a mid range size bolt of some kind, it felt well kept to his hands, and at first glance it didn't seem to have offered any wear or tear.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:35 pm 
US Air Force

"Who decided that lining all the bits up in size was a good idea?"

It was a very good question. For a change, she had had nothing to do with that. Perhaps there is a newby in the tech department and his superiors decided to take the piss out of him... she commented, startled to realize she had said it out loud.

In a desperate try to act as though the words had not come out of her mouth, she crouched down opposite Williams, studying the collection of debris a little more closely. After a moment, her glance fell upon a severed wing tip. For all she knew, this was reinforced poly-carbon. and still a deep tear ran right through it. The crash was very unlikely to have caused this kind of damage.

Between too fingers, she held up the piece. What do you think of this one, Williams?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:57 am 
Royal Navy

He heard what the Major said in return and couldn't stop smirking at that, really thats what she had to say about the nice little line of basically rubbish sat in front of him. “Superiors always picking on the newbies,” he replied, clearly enough that she would have heard it. But Caleb wasn't one for exactly keeping quite, especially when a comment like that was made, he enjoyed a bantering with people. If it was with superiors it was even better, he knew his place but it was always nice to see the higher ranks being human and enjoying a joke.

“You know this might take a while to sort right,” he said, dropping the piece he had been holding back onto the floor. It made a clattering sound as it did so, it meant it was pretty damn solid, he just had to sort out what bits went where, after that it was going to be a matter of fixing it. “I like the neat line, but it was unnecessary, you could have bits mixed up from one hole to another.”

He saw her pick up a wing tip, the thing was half the size it could have been and if he hadn't know any better he would have said it had come of some kind of scale model not a real life UAV. “I think it's broken Major, look,” he reached across, took hold of the piece in her hand and turned it over, “it looks like something might have taken that down. You said it crashed, but that doesn't look like crash marks, I think we're gonna need some strong superglue to put this back together.”

It was a cheap shot to make a comment like that and he knew that, but well that is kind of essentially what he would be doing with it. If the Major wanted a working UAV he was going to have to find some way of sticking it back together, and well that wasn't an easy task to try to achieve.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:54 am 
US Air Force

“Superiors always picking on the newbies." The comment made Sun glare. But she cut back on it quickly. Knowing that she was in a bad temper, she knew just how prone she was to take things personally. But, being in the Navy, Williams sure knew what it was like for a new sailor to be picked on.

Eventually, Sun straightened her face. I think this kind of stuff happens when sending them after an ID 10 T form gets boring...

And he was right, the bolts had been mixed up. But it was too late to change this now. Apparently, today was base-wide screw-up day. With a mild groan, she returned her attention to the wing end Williams was now holding. It was indeed more cracked than she had first seen. Looks like a small projectile to me. Probably something natural and nothing out of an intentional attack. Or what would you suggest? There were no scorch marks after all.

His remark about the glue, however put her off, to the point of rolling her eyes. And, much as I appreciate your enthusiasm, there will be no superglue going near this wing, until we have established exactly what has happened here. I hope you can understand that.

Sun had the feeling this was definitely not going to be a good day. And if things went on at the rate they had started with this morning, she would soon find some other, more creative uses for that superglue...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:03 pm 
Royal Navy

Caleb kind of just stared at the Major for a moment, he honestly could not say he had ever been sent after some form or other so he didn't know what she meant. But he kind of got what she was trying to say, most of the new ones that started at the SGC did get a little hazing, of course sometimes all that consisted of was showing them the Stargate. Nine times out of ten no one actually believed they had been hired to help out with a giant metal ring under a mountain.

He dropped the wing tip he was holding, "Ah and here was me thinking I could pull out the special superglue just for you Major," he said, offering her a smile as he turned back to the rest of the junk.

He wasn't sure how well his flirty humour would go over with the Major, he might have his own reputation but he had also heard the rumours of the Major being a bit of a hard ass. Well he wasn't one for believing in gossip and hoped he hadn't stepped over a line.

Looking back over the bits scattered on the floor, Caleb moved on to the actual UAV its self, it was hard to make out exactly what was wrong with it. Moving so he was actually kneeling on the floor, the cold of the floor seeping through his work trousers, he reached over and felt along the main body of the UAV. Making sure that although not marked up like the rest of it, there wasn't something hiding that nobody could see. He would say it was almost like how a doctor would check for any unseen injuries, except instead of it being a person this was a machine, but he still held it in the same light. Caleb hated seeing anything broken, especially if he knew he could fix some of it.

"You mean like someone took it down with a bow and arrow?" he asked, raising an eyebrow at her. Sure there was no scorch marks to suggest heavy fire, but that didn't mean much, he knew that a P90 given enough time could take down something like this without leaving scorch marks and that would in his book still be classed as heavy fire. "Or are you trying to suggest that it flew into a tree?"

He leant back on his heels, hands already starting to turn dirty from having them around the UAV, "I can fix most of the damage done here, but Major if any of the computer system is damaged you'd need to get someone else." Caleb was sure he didn't have to tell her that, he was an engineer not a computer engineer, he didn't have the advanced enough skills to be able to fix any of the onboard computer systems.