All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:57 am 
Civilian

September 20th 2014, 07:45

Once again, Ruth left the briefing with a small sense of frustration. Called in to explain a translation, and place it into better context for the team that was going out, she couldn't help but harbour a teensy little bit of jealousy that she wasn't on the team herself. Instead, one of the newer linguists was going, someone who was proficient in a moderate amount of Goa'uld and Ancient, ostensibly to get "experience".

Where was all this "experience gathering" when Ruth had been with the SGC for only a few months, huh?

Sure, she had been offworld a number of times, probably at least once a month, but it didn't come close to being selected for an SG unit on a regular basis. That was her eventual aim. Perhaps, just maybe, she would apply for the Atlantis expedition: after all, there was nothing keeping her here, not really. She was single, had barely seen her family in the last eighteen months, and had no real commitments on earth. Even Jake, her best friend - were they "just friends" now, or something more? - wasn't enough to keep her on earth, not when there was the prospect of thousands of new languages being open to her, along with thousands of potential adventures.

However, with not having distinguished herself as part of an SG unit, Ruth knew full well that the chances of her being accepted for Atlantis were slim, even if she were to apply before the deadline in a few days. Sighing, she flipped the folder shut with a snap, biting both lips together even as she headed into the corridor, almost colliding with someone.

"Damn, I'm sorry," she said, her voice flustered, as she glanced at the person she had almost run into.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:38 am 

~Yup another evening of same shit different day really. Hell Damien really didn’t have much to do tonight. It was his day off from working out, which gave his muscles and body the rest it deserved, and then of course all of his reports were done, not that he was fast with those. He just didn’t have a lot of them, all and all it was a very quiet day it seemed. He just did his best to keep his mind off of his parents and went through random training scenarios in his mind to distract it.

Of course he was also taking a leisurely stroll down the corridors just to further his methods. He frankly needed some action; from somewhere he hated the whole sit and wait game. He half fed from being in battle, simply because it was the best way to keep things in his mind at bay. He was also just glad he hid himself very well, and kept that burden from open ears, and didn’t let it shine through actions. Nevertheless, he was glad he was watching where he went, because as soon as he turned the corner a woman seemed to jump out right in front of him.

It took him a second to realize by instinct his hands moved up and gripped her shoulders lightly just to prevent the collision the two seemed destined to be in for. This also meant he got a good look at the rather beautiful redhead and he cracked a smile as she spoke. His first thoughts were military, with the mouth but then of course not everyone tried to watch their mouth. The lack of fatigues however made him think his original conclusion wasn’t correct. The next thing that popped up was doctor of some kind though and this one just seemed to ring true.

His hands finally left her shoulders and he gave a small brush off wave in reaction. “Heh, not a problem ma’am…Hell kinda wish a lovely lady like yourself would run into me more often…” He stated and chuckled lightly hoping she had some sort of humor, and perhaps if he was lucky wanted to flirt back some. Yeah he didn’t hope for the second part too strongly since he knew most around the SGC probably wouldn’t just flirt. Hell everyone around the place always held their jobs more sacredly than anything else.

Oh well, Damien kept his rather genuine smile and offered her his hand next to shake. “Names Damien Baird…Staff Sergeant if ya really wish the rank and the pleasure is definitely mine.” He stated rather confidently as he awaited and hoped she took his hand. Oh what the hell, let’s go even cheesier or rather gentlemanly, depending on how she saw it he thought. Thus, if she did take his hand he’d even kiss her knuckles lightly and softly before he let go.~

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:48 pm 
Civilian

Ruth really did have to learn to look where she was going. Too absorbed in the contents of the folder, caught up with the perceived injustice of a junior linguist being sent offworld, she didn't notice the man until his fingers closed around her shoulders, forestalling the direct collision between them. She smiled up at him sheepishly, shrugging.

Of course, she'd seen him around: military of some sort, pretty easy on the eye, but that was about all she knew. After all, if she wasn't on a team with a member of the military, she had little or no reason to interact with them. "I'm sorry," she repeated, shaking her head. "I was a million miles away, I think." Probably wasn't far from it, either. Her mind was however far away the planet was that she wasn't going to, to be exact about it.

Ruth noticed the man's fingers lingering on her shoulder for a second or two longer than was necessary, but he eventually let his hands drop. She rolled her eyes and chuckled, though, at his comment. "God, don't call me 'ma'am', please," she replied, grinning broadly. "Kinda makes me feel old enough to be your mother." It was true. It gave that feeling to her, although she couldn't be more than a couple of years older than him, at the very most. It was hard to tell, especially with some of the military types. That Taft guy, the Sergeant Major, was the same age as she was, yet looked far older. Jake, on the other hand, hadn't seemed to age the entire time she had known him. If anything, he had just grown better looking.

He held out his hand for her to shake, introducing himself as, indeed, a Staff Sergeant. "Ruth Tolliver, linguist," she replied, taking his hand and shaking it firmly. "And, apparently, the clumsiest person on the base. But then, you would have already known that, wouldn't you?"

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:47 pm 

~What could he say, she was a very good looking woman. His hands couldn’t help themselves but to linger, though of course he finally had to let go. Hell, given the choice he’d want to have the two walk away a bit and do the whole collision all over again. Either way, he wouldn’t go that far instead he’d keep up with what was happening now and kept a smile upon his facial features. At least he got to look anyways since she was right in front of him. His ears and mind caught her words and rolled over her first few phrases in thought as he gave a shrug and nodded.

“Heh, naaa no need to worry about it. My mind might be with ya on the miles away thing, though just not sure if I wanna join it just yet. Especially now since I’d want to see if a woman of your stature would be there or not partially.” He stated with a small wink and chuckled lightly. His words were easy going and he felt he didn’t need to hold up his professional stature all the time, hell no fun in that and well the idle flirt from here and there was definitely a welcomed change. She didn’t seem to put off by his words or actions anyways thus, why stop now?

She spoke again and he shook his head once more another small laugh leaving his parted lips. “No worries, I can do that one for ya and well, I doubt you’d be that old…You’re far too easy on the eyes and I’d say can’t be older than thirty myself for an estimate on your age. Not that I am asking though, it’s impolite to ask.” He stated with a wink and after her firm shake and his cheesy kiss on her knuckles he had to let go. It was too bad though, she had soft skin. His mind tended to linger where it shouldn’t sometimes but luckily his mind wasn’t dumb enough to run too far away in that area.

Nor did he let that part of his mind run his actions. Instead he’d look around a moment and chuckles softly. “Well maybe I’ve met clumsier. Then again maybe I find clumsy to be very attractive? Could just be winning yourself extra points there with me.” He stated and tried to put on a bit of a more suave tone this time around with his words. “So Ruth, where are ya headed? Perhaps I could walk ya there, or maybe persuade ya to get dinner with me at the mess? Or well, maybe someplace a bit pricier and nicer as my treat tonight? If you aren’t too busy that is?”~

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:42 am 
Civilian

The smile stayed firmly in place on the man's face, and Ruth returned it easily. She had run into far less attractive men, so... it wasn't all bad, right? "You flirting with me," chuckled, Ruth, her smile turning lopsided, and the slightest hint of pink colouring her cheeks. "Well, looks like I won't be joining it, not just yet anyway, so I'm kinda stuck here. Isn't that something?"

It had been a fair while since anyone other than Jake had flirted with her, and it was a heady feeling, really. It had been even longer since she had responded to such flirting, and she wasn't sure she was going to this time. After all, who flirted that hard with someone they literally only just bumped into?

She couldn't resist rolling her eyes, though, as the flattery was poured on. "Nope, definitely the wrong side of thirty," she replied, shrugging slightly, and not giving a clue as to her actual age. That would come in the fullness of time, if and when they got to know one another better. Ruth blinked in surprise as Damien kissed her knuckles, a lopsided smirk settling into place. "You just get out of charm school or something," she chuckled. She found it amusing, really, and made a mental note to talk to Jake about it.

Damien continued to pile on the flattery, which, if she were honest, Ruth found a bit much for someone who had only just met her. It was dancing along the border of "creepy", really. However, the smile stayed in place as Damien carried on. "Well, if you've met clumsier, or are attracted to clumsy.. I'm sorry," she replied, her tone lightly joking. "Us academics can get our heads stuck up in the clouds sometimes, and I guess this is one of those days." She blinked at his next question. "I'm headed back to the labs," she said simply. Breakfast was done and dusted, and it was time to get to work. "You're more than welcome to walk with me if you like." However, the suggestion of dinner came out of left field, and Ruth smiled slightly.

"You're a fast mover, huh," she grinned. "How about we see how this walk to the labs goes first, and take it from there?"

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:40 am 

~Damien easily kept his pace with hers as he chuckled softly. He could tell she didn’t quite know what to make of him, and yet he couldn’t really blame her. He enjoyed his flirting to say the least, even if it were just casual. Thus, he shook his head and looked towards their destination after taking note of her slight rose coloring that drifted upon her cheeks. Her words definitely filed in easily enough and she was frankly stating the obvious and so to speak in a light way calling him out.

Damien knew that the smart ladies always had a way of doing that and didn’t take it to heart. Instead he’d smile still and shook his head some. “Now, now…Yes ladies choice can always just wait and see how the walk goes. Forgive me; I just enjoy the occasional flirt. I can however change the tone if you wish it? I mean no harm in it for sure.” He assured her as he didn’t want her to feel any pressure or overbearingness. He also didn’t wish to make her uncomfortable.

“As for the charm school, naaa…When I am in the presence of a lovely lady such as you, I always make sure they are appreciated, clumsy or not as well.” He stated with a brief glance her way and a wink. “I tend to move slower actually, but hey doesn’t mean we can’t keep the conversation interesting and I can’t let ya know that you should enjoy yourself occasionally. After all, all work and no play makes for a bad mix. An so you don’t get the wrong idea, I meant play as in time away from labs and such?” Granted he knew he was stretching those words long, but he didn’t mean they should jump to his room or something, he just felt maybe she might need a nice night away?

He also knew he didn’t honestly know how much time she spent with her work. Though, he knew some lab types always enjoyed staying with their work. He always welcomed the correction anyways and felt it was a good way to learn about someone, by their reactions rather than the typical hi what do you do type conversation. “So Ruth, if I may be a bit bold and use first names? Care to set me straight on my little hypothesis?”~

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:41 pm 
Civilian

Ruth grinned. The guy was upfront and forward, which wasn't necessarily a bad thing, but not something that Ruth was prepared for so early in the day, especially on top of being passed over for a mission once more. He asked whether she wanted him to change the tone of his flirting, and she thought for a moment. "I... think it's a little early for flirting," she replied, shrugging and tossing him an easy smile. Besides, she didn't particularly feel comfortable flirting with other guys, not while she and Jake were toeing their way through... well, whatever it was between them. It wouldn't be fair to anyone.

She rolled her eyes as he continued laying on the charm as thick as honey. "Does this often work with women you just met," she replied, a light chuckle rippling through her words. "Thanks for the offer, hotshot, but... I think I'm gonna pass. Thanks for the offer, though." A month ago - maybe even just a couple of weeks ago - she might have said yes, but now, Jake was in the equation.

Sure, she worked too much sometimes, maybe even most of the time, but, at least at the moment, she owed it to both she and Jake to dial back on work and make time for them.

"Well, seeing as you've already started using my first name, Damien... care to let me in on what little hypothesis you're wanting setting straight on?"

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]