All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:24 pm 
US Air Force

1st March 2016, 09:00

Another morning, another wave of teams heading offworld. Most were your standard missions, but the team due to assemble in the Gateroom was a little different. Fifteen people, a mixture of military and civilians, old and young, heading off for a twelve week stint on the new Beta Site. After the Alpha site had been compromised, and the previous Beta Site had replaced it as the primary base, it had been of paramount importance to find a new Beta Site that would be more or less undiscoverable.

In finding the small, earth-like P5X-088, so remote that it needed two gate trips to get to it, and was only accessible to earth by travelling to one specific planet first, it seemed almost foolproof. The new camp had been founded five months beforehand, and was beginning to resemble something more than just a field of tents. A few more permanent structures were now in place, even though they were only roughly constructed of wood, and renewable energy sources were operational.

Hammond was inordinately proud of the men and women who had made it happen, and the fifteen travelling there today were the beginning of the next phase. Each had been chosen for their expertise in their specific areas, and they were headed to the Beta Site to not only continue to develop the site, but to train others to run the site as a colony: a home, rather than a base. With the threat from both the Goa'uld and - potentially - the Wraith from the Pegasus Galaxy, contingency plans to carry on the human race in a real, viable manner were of utmost importance.

Hammond glanced at the co-ordinates on Walter Harriman's computer and nodded once. Satisfied that everything was in order, Hammond took the stairs down to the gateroom to ready himself for the team's departure.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:58 am 
US Air Force

[1 March 2016, Stargate Command, Cheyanne Mountain Complex]

Christopher stood in front of a mirror, looking at himself with deep eyes. Who he saw in the smooth reflection wasn't familiar, at least not someone he'd seen for years. Today, he did a first for him. He cast off his regular baby-blue service uniform and replaced it with a long-anticipated return to nature, or at least part of him thought. The rest of him was absolute, 100 percent, terrified. Where he looked usually at the pressed, formal, and humdrum attire he was used to, he had conflicting emotions in his eyes. But, it was comfortable, it fit, and it was what he would be used to within a few days. However, the real reason for his fright was truly his first trip through the Stargate. He'd read about it, he'd worked on the device, and he'd worked on the programming that ran it, or at least some basic fixes or improvements. But to go through it? To walk through and find himself on a new planet? That would be something else.

He closed his eyes and breathed, calming his nerves as he turned away, and went through his gear once more. It was all there, but that hadn't been in any doubt. Chris had been obsessively thinking of what he needed, what he didn't, and what he had already. He heaved his gear onto his back, checked the knife still stowed in his sheath, and walked to the door, exiting and turning down the hallways toward the gateroom. Down the stairs and to the left, he found himself in front of the blast doors that separated him from the embarkation room, where he paused. He'd said very little, but it was evident on his face he felt at least a little apprehension for what they were about to do.

He fumbled in his pockets for a moment, as he extracted his keycard, and swiped it on the door's control panel, which admitted him after the door hissed open. He entered and looked in awe once again at the gate. In his short time here, it'd never ceased to take his breath away every time he entered the room. He slid his bag off his back and lay it against the back wall, and stood, waiting for orders, or at least someone else to provide even a modicum of reassurance. But for now, he waited, and prepared for what was described in one report as "the longest and yet shortest trip in the galaxy"

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:10 pm 
Beta Site CMO

After over a year on Atlantis, the SGC's gateroom was somewhat alien to Claire. Atlantis had become a home to she and Caleb, and, after they were given leave when the Daedalus brought fresh personnel from earth, they had returned to Colorado expecting to be shuttled back to Atlantis in short order. Sadly, that had not proven to be the case.

Hammond had summoned them both to his office the day after their return, and, still sleepy with jet lag, Claire had almost not believed him when he told them that she and Caleb wouldn't be returning to Atlantis for another few months at least. Instead, she was being posted to the newly formed Beta Site as an interim CMO, and Caleb was being assigned as senior armory technician. It was a twelve week posting, after which they would be granted another week's leave before heading back to Atlantis.

Unhappy about it as she was, Claire didn't grumble, taking it with as good grace as she could muster, at least in front of Hammond. Torn as she had been about going to Atlantis in the first place, she had come to love the city, the friends she had made - both earth friends and otherwise - and her life with Caleb. Now, everything had been turned on its head again, and she didn't know how things were going to go. They had spent a few weeks with her family in New Zealand, a few weeks with Caleb's family in England, and then a couple of weeks by themselves, enjoying just being a normal couple for as long as they could.

Now, they were back to square one, and, with the Beta Site being primarily a research facility, Claire had no idea how they would be permitted to continue their relationship. At least they weren't breaking any fraternisation rules. There was a lot to be said for being a civilian consultant, sometimes.

Anyway, now wasn't the time to muse over that. The gateroom door was open, and she reached out, giving Caleb's hand a brief squeeze, before letting go and stepping inside. She glanced at her watch: they were somewhat early, which explained why only Hammond and Chris Torngate were in the gateroom, and the Stargate itself was cold and dead. "General," she said, nodding and smiling at Hammond, before turning to Torngate. "Airman. Your first trip through the 'gate, right? How are you feeling?"

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:11 pm 
US Air Force

Chris realized, belatedly, he’d completely ignored the General in the room, both figuratively and literally, until another arrival pointed it out to him by speaking to the man. He turned quickly, and offered a hasty salute to the man as he mumbled an apology. He had to work to control the embarrassment he felt here, but he mostly pulled it off. With all the emotions and complex changes going on, he had forgotten the most basic aspect of being an Enlisted person: If it’s shiny, salute it. After recovering from his gaffe, with hopefully some of his dignity intact, he took note of the new arrival.

It was the Doctor who’d done his pre-assignment physical… Doctor… something. Tuta? Ata? Tauta? Something like that. Unfortunately, he couldn’t remember and so decided to just go with the universal “Doctor” for this one. Turning, and remembering now his more processed, programmed way to act, he turned to the new arrival and listened to what she had to say. “Yes Ma’am.” he said, in response. “This is my first trip… And I’m fine, Ma’am.” he said, lying straight through his teeth at her. It was probably obvious to everyone else that he was nervous. Not a wreck, per se, but definitely on edge and not exactly comfortable with what was coming up.

He couldn’t believe how anyone could actually get used to this- going across the galaxy in a few seconds, entering what he imagined was a jello-like substance, like swimming in an amorphous solid, or walking through wet cement… what must it be like if you have to breathe in the material? And taking into account the lack of an actual DHD and the command’s jury-rigged method of opening the gate…

No. He had to be calm, he had to be collected. He took a deep breath, slowly in, and out, as he looked at the room around him, without looking like he was looking around. He spoke again to the Doctor, trying to convince her as much as him that he wasn’t going crazy and that he could do this. “Don’t worry about me, Ma’am. I’ll do my job.”

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:38 pm 
Beta Site CMO

Claire allowed herself a small smile as the Airman hurriedly acknowledged General Hammond. The protocol in the SGC was more fluid than a lot of military situations, but there were still things you had to stick by and protocols to follow. For the civilians, it was easier: just know who you could address with a first name, and who you needed to use their rank for. Claire herself was lucky: she could usually get away with using first names while in the med bay, which prevented her from putting both feet into her mouth and chewing well. Most of the time, anyway.

The small smile turned into a grin as Torngate called her "ma'am", and Claire resisted the urge to laugh. He was trying to be polite, but probably not sure how he should address a civilian. An eyebrow twitched up as the tounger man professed to be fine. "You know, I shat my pants on my first trip through the gate," she grinned. "I was convinced something would go wrong at the other end, and I wouldn't be put back together right." Oh, how wrong she had been. Since moving to Atlantis, her trips through the gate had been far more frequent, and now seemed like the most natural thing in the world. She still couldn't say she enjoyed the experience, but it no longer worried her at all.

It was plain to Claire that Chris Torngate was shitting himself, and she gave him a sympathetic smile. "I didn't think you wouldn't do your job," she said gently. "It just takes some getting used to, doesn't it?" She turned to Caleb, flashing him a grin. "And once you're used to it, you'll wonder why you ever worried."

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:24 am 
Royal Navy

Here he was once again standing in the middle of the Gateroom back on Earth waiting to embark on another adventure...or he was sure that's what the tag line would be if anyone ever made the Gate public and made it as a tourist attraction. Caleb was pretty damn sure that if they did that they'd stay in funding for years to come.

He had done the usual as he'd entered saluted the general, gave Claire's hand a squeeze back, before entering. It was weird for there to be so many personnel around actually protecting the Stargate, after a year and more on Atlantis, where the Gateroom was just sat in the open, this was odd. Yet the sight of the Stargate its self, so different but very much the same as the Atlantis one, still caught his attention. Still made him stop and just stare at it for a moment, knowing that something very different waited for him on the other side of that thing.

Caleb would like to say he didn't feel like a little kid at Christmas, waiting to see what shiny new toys were waiting him, but well he couldn't lie to himself like that. Sure he wished he was going back to Atlantis – he hadn't realised just how much he missed the city, and the friends he'd made there until he was back on Earth – but this was a new opportunity, one that well he couldn't really refuse.

Alongside Claire, Caleb caught Chris Torngate also in the Gateroom, he had come across the the Airman before and he really couldn't help the smile as Claire got addressed as Ma'am, “See we go away for several months and we come back and people are calling you Ma'am,” he said good naturedly. “Next they'll be saluting you, Doctor.” Caleb said, adding the title on to sound all professional, but probably failing.

It was a tension defuses, he knew that, he could see how nervous the young man was, hell Caleb could recall his first time through the Gate....it hadn't ended as pleasantly as he would have liked. Or as he glanced at Claire, maybe it had been the best thing to happen, he barely remember the injury he had gone in with, just remembered that it had been Claire to patch him. Flirt insistently back with him – which had at the time had completely stumped him – before sending him on his way, start of a brilliant friendship that had been.

Caleb let Claire and Chris chat for a moment, checking over his own gear that he was wearing for the umpteenth time, not that it needed checking, it had been double, triple checked before he put it on and then again once he'd put it on.

His attention was caught when he heard Torngate say something about doing his job, he frowned at that, if people didn't do their jobs they wouldn't be standing in the Gateroom, or even in the Stargate programme at all.

He nodded along with what Claire was saying, joining the conversation again, “You'll do you're job, trust me you wouldn't be here if they didn't think that.” he said, adding a reassuring tone to his voice. “Oh yeah it's the easiest part of this job, stepping through the Stargate, plus there isn't a feeling like it anywhere else in any galaxy really. You'll be fine. Trust us....or rather trust her, she's the Doctor, you have to trust the Docs right?” he added, winking subtly at Claire.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:10 pm 
Civilian

The sound of gear preceded him through the armored door's vacant frame, the *thunk* *thunk* *thunk* of camp gear on a pack banging on a pack hitting with every step of the wearer. Though... the steps sounded a bit off... a bit farther apart than one would expect. Closer it came until, with one big step, a man holding a facility map stepped into the frame of the doorway and looked up from the document to see if he'd gotten the right place. A big, infinitely happy smile spread across his face and he held out the map to a soldier by the doorway, who was looking up at him. "I was told I have to give this to you when I get here for security reasons," The soldier nodded slowly and took the map, freeing the massive figure to look at the others in the room as he stepped in and waved happily.

"Oh, General Hammond. It's good to see you again!" The camp kit, lantern, canteen, and the such clattered as the 6'9", muscular, and well tanned man hurried over to the General and shook his hand enthusiastically. "Sorry if I'm late, I got the call yesterday and had to pack up the research camp to catch the plane here." He turned to look at the others with a boyish grin of excitement, investigating their presence and suddenly deciding to introduce himself. "Howdy, I'm Alexander Badillion Trahourn. Folks call me Mississippi, I'm the Zoologist... er, I guess Xeno-Zoologist... uh, for this trip.... do we have other Zoologists?" He directed the question back at Hammond, obviously not familiar with the recruitment roster of the program.

"Either way, I'm going to..." He checked his left hand, then read what he had written on it. "P5X dash 088. Is that where y'all are going? Am I early? Am I late? Am I interrupting something?" He kinda looked like the last option was the most unthinkable of all, the one that would really bother him if true. Cause he could wait or get a redial, but he couldn't unrude himself.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:11 pm 
Free Jaffa

Everything had been taken care of. What few belongings she had were packed into the duffle at the foot of her cot, a caretaker had been arranged for her plants, and she had taken her leave from those who would be missed. Tahirah knew this mission was only for a few months, but there was a feeling of change in the air, a sense of shai’hennew. She had spent three years in this mountain but, despite the many friends and lovers, it had never come to feel like home. That had been just as she wanted. Her exile from Hekuptah and separation from Ima’he Sekhmet had been more painful than the sharpest claws of an ammit. Those scars still sat heavy on her heart and she had shied away from adding more.

Shouldering the duffle, Tahirah picked up her staff weapon and zat’nik’tel and headed out into the hallway. She had made this walk many times, but today it felt… empty. The corridor was bustling with Tau’ri as usual, several of whom she knew, yet she was alone. She missed the sunlight and the warmth of home she could never see again. She missed the sisters that were not hers, missed the mother she never had. Had it been holding on to their memories so tight that led to this solitude? Perhaps it was time to finally accept those loses, time to let go. Tahirah paused at the now open doors to the embarkation room and shook her head, now was not the time for such introspection. She would reflect on it during her next kelnoreem

The room was slowly filling as the others on this mission trickled in. One impressively large man clattered in ahead of her making enough noise to wake a sleeping kheb. Despite the muscles, he was obviously not a warrior by calling. As the man rambled, Tahirah saluted the honored General with one hand fisted over her heart and a respectful nod. Of the others already here, she knew only Caleb and Dr. Ta Atua. It had been some time since she had seen them last. The mission they had all been on together had been difficult, but Caleb had proven himself an excellent soldier. The doctor had still been fairly new to the SGC then, the violence and death they had encountered had shaken her but not once had she faltered in her duties. Tahirah wondered if her time on Atlantis had toughened the Doctor any, and truly hoped not. She favored them both with a warm smile in greeting, and quietly stood out of the way.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:24 am 
US Air Force

Chris was confused by her grin and subsequent lax behavior. Had he said something unintentionally amusing? It was all compounded and made worse when she began telling stories about her trips through the stargate, and her seeming very close familiarity with a man in an unfamilliar uniform. It took Chris a moment or two to process the uniform- Definately of naval origins, but not the uniform of the US Navy. The man also definately didn't give off a "yankee" air about him. It began to look more familiar when he saw the red cross and Union Jack on the man's arm, that things began to make sense. He found himself prepping up for another salute, but didn't start the motion, when he saw the rank insignia and his one class long ago about Navy ranks came into play. He was able to counter his movement when he saw an enlisted rank. That really would have been embarrasing.

Despite the Doctor's assurances that he'd be alright, there was nothing in this world short of being tranq'ed when he went through the gate that would keep him from stressing about this trip. The only variable here was how much he'd stress. But, even considering, her listing off ways he could possibly NOT be alright wasn't exactly helping. He stayed silent, and was thankfully saved. Thank God for the Royal Navy. Who ever said they weren't useful?

He heard their friendly banter and figured that they'd known each other for a while. That was later confirmed when they mentioned Atlantis, which was a whole 'nother mess. To get there, one had to take one heck of a long Gate trip, which just didn't sound like fun at all. When he heard the man speak again, he focused in, which turned out to be just the regular "This has happened a thousand times before", or at least sounded that way to Chris's ears. "Aye..." was all he could say, still not remembering the proper way to refer to those around him from outside the Service, except for the Doc. Things were so much simplier when one had ranks to base off of. He saw the wink but failed to process it fully, and instead swallowed a rather large- or at least it seemed that way to him- lump that was forming in the back of his throat.

He huddled against the back wall, retreating as he heard a large 'thud... thud... thud' approaching. He begain unconsciously tracing the patch and uniform of the SGC on his arm, feeling the roughness and imperfections in the threads as he tried to see what- or who- was making such a racket. It didn't take long. A man of about 7 feet all arced his way through the doorway and begain speaking to the General. It seemed as if Chris was about ready to jump out of his skin. It wasn't every day that himself, a rather deciently sized man of 6 feet, was towered over by another foot of seeming pure muscle.

The next arrival was another woman who Chris didn't recognize, but for some reason everyone seemed familiar with each other. He felt like such an outsider, but figured on a 12 week long trip to the Beta Site, he'd have no choice but to get to know them. There wasn't the rest of the Earth to run away to. Only one way on or off world. Seeing nobody else intimidated by the large man, he tried to regain his ground and footing, but stayed out of the way and decided his best place would be in observation, at least until he figured out who he might try and get to know, without stepping in on anyone else's conversations.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:20 am 
Beta Site CMO

((For reference, all characters wear the same olive drab or navy blue BDUs - the canvas shirt and combat pants - when on base, and all military wear the same camos when on mission. Claire will likely be in the green BDUs, and Caleb and all other military will likely be in the same green camos.))

The new bloke seemed more than a little nervous, and, although Claire had no doubt the man was more than capable of doing his job, she had concerns over whether the gate trip itself would unsettle him inordinately. That might be something she would need to follow up with him afterwards, and she wondered whether there would be a psychological specialst on the outpost. She hoped so. Given their experiences on Atlantis, any long term posting such as this wouldn't be without challenges.

"Look, I'm the outpost's interim CMO," she explained, her Kiwi accent to the fore. "If you need anything, just come find me. I'm on a twelve week posting, so..." She shrugged, that small, sympathetic smile on her lips once more. The smile turned into a grin as Caleb teased her. "Look at you, Mr Big Shot! Bloody Chief Petty Officer now, to think you were a lowly Leading Rate when we met!" Her tease matched his watt for watt, and her eyes told him everything her words couldn't while in public.

About to throw back another tease as he told the new guy to trust has, Claire's attention was brought to a new arrival. "Well, fuck me," she murmured, her eyes widening for a moment as she blinked. A man-mountain with the demeanour of a bouncy puppy had lolloped his way into the gateroom, and it wasn't someone she recognised. He certainly hadn't been on her list of personnel when she did the pre-mission medical checks; there's no way she would have forgotten him. She grinned as he introduced himself. "Dr Claire Ihi, chief medical officer for this trip. Pleased to meet you." He was a good foot and a half taller than she was, and the height comparison between the two of them was almost comical.

However, her near-amusement at this new arrival ended when a familiar face entered the gateroom, someone she hadn't seen since her return from Atlantis. "Tahirah," she exclaimed, and, a broad smile fixed in place, she approached the other woman, her arms open for a hug - if Tahirah should so choose. The two women had shared a traumatic experience not long before she and Caleb had left for Atlantis, and she had developeda healthy respect for the Jaffa trained woman. "How are you? It's good to see you!"