All times are UTC

Post subject: FAQs
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:39 am 
Thor

What's The Gateroom all about?
  • The Gateroom is a play-by-post roleplaying game based on the hit sci-fi shows "Stargate: SG-1" and "Stargate: Atlantis".

Does this mean you're just writing out the plots from the shows in character?
  • Nope. The Gateroom is an alternate universe game, meaning that, while we use canon as a basis, with everything that happened in the first three seasons and first episode of season 4 being set in stone, everything that happens from the start of the game onwards is totally up to the players.

Is this just freeform or sandbox, or will there be boardwide plots?
  • A bit of both, really. While there will be larger plots involving all players, or certain groups such as the teams, in your characters' "downtime", you are free to play whatever you like. If, however, your character wishes to go offworld during their downtime, that would be unlikely to be permitted at this stage.

If a thread is marked as "open", can I just jump right in and start playing?
  • Technically, yes. However, it is only polite to ask the other members in the thread if they mind you joining, especially if the thread is well established. Adding another person into the thread once it has already gotten going may destabilise what has been worked for in the thread so far.

Can I just post where I want in a thread?
  • In a word, no. If the thread in question has lots of people in several scenarios, posting order is less important. However, once action starts, you're working as a team, or there are only three or four people in the thread, please make sure you post in sequence.

Seeing as this board is set in very early season 4 of SG-1, only with added Atlantis, does that mean that the year is 2000?
  • No, the year is 2014. We've just moved canon events of SG-1 forward by about 14-15 years.

I LOVE *insert a character from the shows*! Can I play him/her?
  • We have a list of canon characters who are available to be played. If your chosen canon is not on that list, and not on the restricted list, please ask a member of staff, and we'll see whether we can accommodate you. Because we want the game to focus equally on original characters as on canons, we can't promise that your canon will be allowed to be played.

Because Atlantis is a playable area, does this mean that the board is set after season 6 of "Stargate: SG-1"?
  • In short, no. The timeline sits at roughly the beginning of season 4 of "Stargate: SG-1". Atlantis was discovered around a year ago, and preparations are being made for the first expedition. The Ori don't exist, and the Goa'uld are very much a threat within the galaxy.

Can I play a Goa'uld or a Tok'ra? I love those guys!
  • Tok'ra, absolutely! However, for now, the Goa'uld are off the playable list, due to a number of issues when Goa'uld PCs have been apped.

What about an Asgard? Can I play Thor?
  • At present, the Asgard are on the restricted list, but they may come up for play in the future.