All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:24 am 
Beta Site CMO

Claire's eyebrows climbed up her forehead in silent question as Caleb - almost with a hint of reluctance - admitted that there were photos of him wearing a toga. She giggled. "You realise you can't tease a girl with that," she grinned, her eyes holding the unmistakable challenge that Caleb would have seen throughout the course of their friendship and subsequent relationship. "Seeing as I'm not going to be able to meet your family and see all the embarrassing baby photos and shit, you're going to have to take on that duty, aren't you?"

The fact that Claire would never meet Caleb's family, and he would never meet hers, well, that stung. More than a bit, too. Claire would love for Caleb to meet her family properly - Skype didn't count. Her dad had adored him, and her mum, while a little more reserved, had hardly disapproved. In fact, she would have sworn that her mum had wanted to give her unreserved approval, but didn't feel that she could, not without actually meeting Caleb and getting a proper sense of what he was like.

She laughed, shaking her head. "How about we just settle for using one of those lovely fluffy robes that are hanging in the bathroom," she replied, taking the immediate heat out of their conversation. They had nothing to distract them aside from one another until Monday when they flew back to the SGC, and, if they weren't careful, they'd end up spending their break in bed.

Not that that would be a problem, but Claire would still like to see a little bit of New Orleans. It would probably be the first and last time she got the chance to visit a city she had always been fascinated with, and, as such, she wanted to see as much as they could fit in without pressuring themselves.

So Caleb was still hoping for something of the sea once they reached Atlantis. Claire reached across and traced her fingers across the back of Caleb's hand for a few seconds. "Maybe it will be," she remarked. "But... it's not worth getting your hopes up, e te tau. None of us know what to expect." Claire, herself, was filled with trepidation. The only thing she knew for sure was that she wanted to go, needed to go, and wouldn't feel as though she was complete unless she took that leap.

Claire rolled her eyes. "Yeah, you're a persistent little bastard, aren't you," she laughed, shaking her head just the once. "No woman ever stands a chance once you set your sights on them, do they?" That couldn't be further from the truth, though, when it came to their relationship. They had simply clicked when they had met, their personalities meshing, even though, outwardly, they had little in common. In a way, it was as though they had always known one another. Now... well, they were going to be one another's family when they moved to a whole new galaxy.

Exciting, but also scary as hell.

More than a little relieved when Caleb agreed to give the server a chance, Claire chuckled. "No, I want to sample you," she replied, her voice a low, husky murmur that only Caleb would be able to hear. "The food is just a by-product of having a great time with the man I love."

She returned the squeeze of Caleb's hand as he agreed they had something to celebrate. Something to mourn, too, in a way. They were saying goodbye to everything they had been up to that point: their families, their friends, their emotional and physical ties, although Claire felt that she would be finding it harder than Caleb to say their final goodbyes.

The server returned with two glasses and an open bottle in an ice bucket, and turned to Caleb, lifting the bottle from the ice bucket. "Would you like to taste it, sir?"

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 1:04 pm 
Royal Navy

Caleb laughed at that, he was positive that if he ever got to take Claire home his mum would be not only over the moon that he found a nice girl that could put up with him, but would also get not only the baby photos out but every other photo she owned of him as well. He had spoken to his parents about Claire, in a vague way, he was sure he had never mentioned her name, or at least he didn't think he had.

The mention of Claire meeting his family made him slightly nostalgic, he hadn't seen them in person for well over a year now, not since he had come to join the SGC, he spoke to them as often as he could of course. But he didn't get back home to see them as much as he would like and part of him realised he really would like to take Claire back home with him, to meet his parents, so they could talk to her and see how much of a brilliant woman she was. Just like he saw in her as well, he wanted them to see that, maybe he would have to set up a session how she had done for him, to meet his family. It would be nice, he was sure.

“Am sure, just for you, I could dig out that photo for you, sadly the toga got left behind somewhere, and surprisingly I don't remember where I left it,” he said smiling cheekily at her. Oh he remembered where the toga got left, it got left in a bin somewhere back in a port that he actually didn't remember.

Caleb picked up on the fact that the talk of this had hurt them both a little bit – he was perceptive when he needed to be – and he couldn't help taking her hand and kissing the back of it softly. He didn't want this day to be a sad one, they were in New Orleans and yes it was a last hoorah before they took off to a different galaxy. But he didn't want it to be a sad one, not yet at least.

“Yeah, am sure you would look just fetching in one of them robes,” he said, smiling once more and winking at her. He would put on a show for her when they were back in there hotel if that was what she wanted, hell he was sure they could have tons of fun just each taking it in turns to wear the robe. The smile was slightly bigger as that thought ran through his mind, honestly he was going to have to keep drinking water of he didn't want this evening to end as quickly.

The smile got toned down a little bit as Claire told him not to get his hopes up about there being water or anything when they went to Pegasus, and he wasn't, he wasn't hoping for anything. Okay maybe he had been hoping, silently, that Claire would say yes and she had, but that was it. He knew not to anticipate for Atlantis too much because he would be let down, totally, nothing ever exceeded what you anticipated it for.

“I know, I'm not, I promise,” he said, with a certainty that was hard to miss. He wasn't a child any more, he didn't get his hopes up, he just often goes with the flow and lets what happens happens.

He laughed as she called him a persistent bastard, in all honesty he had been called a lot less flattering things and that exact same thing, the difference being this time, he knew she meant it in the nicest possible way. If he had been standing he would have given her a mock bow, in thanks, instead he just nodded his head slightly towards her, “Thank you, but all this flattering it's not necessary, sweetheart.”

“Just so you know, that isn't how it goes down at all. I was helpless against the woman,” he said, tone light and joking, “they would just throw themselves at me, honestly it's a wonder I ever got any work done sometimes.”

It was odd at times to be able to joke about his past exploits with someone, especially a someone who he was in a relationship with. He had half expected to not be able to really be as open with his past one night stands as he had actually been, although that might have something to do with the fact that long before he fell for Claire he'd often tell her of his one night stands. There was many a time she had actually caught him sneaking back into the mountain when she was on a late shift and he'd had a night off, there would always be a hot drink waiting as he explained all. She had always been his friend first and foremost and although yes he felt his heart leap every time he saw her, he never really felt like he was loosing his friend.

It was a giant ball of rightness with them, he could mention his past, talk about his future and everything in between. It was a scary, thrilling rightness between them and he didn't feel like any topic was off limits to them, even if they didn't agree on a topic – not that, that had happened yet – he could still feel comfortable enough to talk about it with her.

The smile turned seductive as she told him, she wanted to sample him, yeah the shiver that ran down his back, had nothing to do with the door to the kitchen area being opened and closed all the time. He squeezed her hand tightly, she knew exactly what that tone of voice would start for him, he leaned in closer to her, “All you gotta do is ask, sweetheart,” he replied back just as quietly.

It wasn't hard not to be heard in the restaurant, it was already noisy enough, and no one else would be listening to them really. It was at that point that the server returned with the two glasses and a bottle of champagne, now Caleb was thankful they hadn't been talking about anything 'secret'.

“Please,” he said, gesturing for the server to pour a small amount out. Of course, Caleb had no idea what he was meant to be tasting for, or if it was meant to even taste like it did. He was Navy, he was use to cheap beer and a lot of it, not this champagne stuff, all he could tell as he took the smallest sip ever was that it was alcoholic.

He looked from the server to Claire, smiling at her, yeah this was well out of his area of knowledge that was for sure, but he knew that Claire had said it was a celebration, and well he was going to damned if he stuck to beer with a celebration.

Caleb nodded his head, “Seems fine to me,” he said brightly.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:06 pm 
Beta Site CMO

Claire giggled at Caleb's response. It seemed to be the way of all mothers: the first time they met your boyfriend, partner, whatever, they dragged out as many embarrassing photographs of you as possible, and not just pictures from childhood, either. She knew that her own mother would have been more than willing to drag out her stash of pictures, should she ever have had the opportunity to meet Caleb.

And the stories her dad would tell...

Well, that didn't bear thinking about. Claire tucked that thought away for later. It wasn't going to happen, so it was best not to dwell on it. In terms of family, all they would have soon would be one another, and whoever on Atlantis they chose to regard as family, as opposed to friends and colleagues. It was going to be a huge leap, and Claire swallowed back another stray thought, one that had her considering whether or not she would be homesick. With Caleb being with her, she thought it was unlikely, though.

"Well, I look forward to seeing the pictures when we get back to the SGC," she grinned, her eyes sparkling with amusement. "I don't have anything I can reciprocate with, though." All her embarrassing pictures were back in New Zealand. She supposed she could call and ask her parents to email some over. At least, that way, Caleb would be able to see the pictures without her parents' commentary on them. Small blessings.

Claire would have had to have been blind not to have noticed the tempering of Caleb's smile as she reminded him not to get his hopes up about there being water in Atlantis. She almost believed him when he said he wasn't going to get his hopes up, and she twisted her fingers with his as their hands lay on the table. She hoped, for his sake, that there was water, and plenty of it. Sure, he might be a weapons technician, but it was primarily in the field of submarine weaponry. Claire would bet that tinkering with guns was coming in a poor second to his speciality. She knew that she felt much the same way about general emergency surgery as opposed to paediatric.

Laughing as Caleb protested that the women had thrown themselves at him, and he had had to do nothing in the way of seduction, Claire squeezes his hand again, her eyes sparkling. "Knowing you, I'd say it had been at least a 50/50 split, e ipo," she grinned. "The last year or so certainly has been."

The flirtation that had bounced back and forth between them throughout their friendship had certainly run both ways, with Claire - to her surprise - giving as good as she got whenever Caleb had flirted with her. It had always been a knockback, in the same flavour as the original flirtatious comment, until that day in the gym.

For a moment that day, Claire had considered tossing Caleb an innocent smile and leaning down to kiss the elbow that had impacted the floor, leaving things in the same light, flirty tone that had been the undercurrent of their entire friendship. However, something had wriggled its way up from deep within, something that had urged her to respond to the slight nervous shake in his voice and the fire in his eyes, and it was something she hadn't regretted.

The flicker of desire that danced through Caleb's eyes as Claire told him that she wanted to sample him told its own story, and his fingers gripped hers more tightly. "I'm asking," she breathed, gently running the toe of her shoe up Caleb's calf, halting at the knee. Any higher would be dangerous for them in a public place. However, she didn't want there to be any doubt in Caleb's mind that she wanted him later that evening.

She watched as the server poured Caleb a taste of the champagne, and a smile of amusement slid into place on Claire's lips. It was obvious that he wasn't used to drinking champagne, and, in truth, neither was she, but this seemed like an important enough occasion to have ordered a bottle of the good stuff.

The server nodded, giving a small smile of satisfaction as he poured two glasses, slipping the bottle back into the ice bucket, and pulling two menus from the front pocket of his apron. "The menus, sir, madame," he said, his tone almost sibilant and more deferential now. After all, the Perrier-Jouet wasn't exactly an inexpensive bottle, and this couple might end up tipping well if he upped the level of service. "I'll be back in a few minutes."

He slipped off into the crowd, and Claire giggled across the table. "You had no bloody idea what you were drinking there, did you," she grinned, picking up her glass and offering it to Caleb in a toast. "Well... here's to new beginnings and new adventures."

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:16 pm 
Royal Navy

Caleb smiled softly as Claire seemed amused by his story of the picture of the toga, oh sure he was positive he could probably find it out for her. It was stashed away somewhere, one little memento from his days being mainly on a submarine. He could still remember the night fondly, and although yes it had led to another one night stand if Claire asked for more details on that night well he wasn't one for hiding such things, he would tell her straight.

"Well if you really must reciprocate, then I guess I will just have to put up with it," he said, smiling a bit too brightly. There was no way he would just 'put up with it' as he had said, there was no way on this Earth that he would do that, he'd enjoy ever last damn minute of what ever and which ever way Claire wished to reciprocate.

Of course he didn't exactly expect her to, there relationship was totally a two way street and honestly he didn't expect her to share something in return just because he had. Although if he ever got to speak to her parents again, he was going to wait till she disappeared for a moment and then get them to spill the beans on the baby photos. He was positive that Claire would have made an amazingly cute baby, especially considering she was such an attractive woman now.

Caleb was glad the conversation moved on from his affection with water, he knew what he came across as when he spoke of such things. So yeah he knew not to get his hopes up too much, but also a small part of him was getting excited about the prospect of discovering some completely new.

He laughed when she said it would have been a 50/50 split, and well actually had to concede that point, it was mostly split down the middle. A lot of woman he had spent time with had liked the uniform more than the man - which wasn't a bad thing at the time - the other times he'd peruse the women. It was a win win situation either way for him of course, he got what he wanted and hopefully the women he spent time with enjoyed there time as well.

Of course he didn't actually do that any more, hadn't even thought of doing that in a long, long time, well for as long as he had been together with Claire. It was strange, he was close friends with Claire for well over a year, had told her almost everything - he was sure there was still some secrets he had stashed away - but never once as he spent nights with other woman had he thought of her like that.

He was set on playing the field - as a few people he had spoken to said - making sure to keep that reputation standards of his high. One of his own concerns when he had gotten together with Claire was that he would find himself wondering a little bit, but that hadn't happened and it surprised him. Not that he would have ever entered into a relationship if he knew he was going to stray but it was still odd that the thought hadn't entered his mind.

All thoughts of that was kind of taken out of the water when he felt a foot start to trail it's way up his leg, stopping just at the knee, it having left a trail of almost cliqued fire in its wake. It was even more tempting to just tell the server to bring them the cheque now so they could leave, especially when Claire whispered she was asking. God everything in his body just wanted to be closer to her, as though the very table they were sat as was miles apart for him at that moment, he had to settled for squeezing her hand tightly though.

"That a promise?" he asked, knowing she would quite literally make good on any promise she made from that what ever the night held.

The heated thoughts seemed to simmer down, when she started laughing at him as he took a sip of the champagne they would be drinking and the server disappeared. At least the guy seemed a little more pleasant now, he wasn't going to have to give the guy a lesson in manners any time soon.

"It was alcoholic, that is the extent of what I know of champagne," he said honestly, raising his own glass to hears as it touched the side. "Hermes to so many adventures to be had. Cheers."

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:34 pm 
Beta Site CMO

Sometimes, Caleb seemed to deliberately misunderstand what she said, and this was one of those times. Claire couldn't help but laugh, shaking her head. "So you're the kind of bloke who won't accept that I don't have any photos of me when I was a kid, huh," she giggled. A quick call to her parents would put that straight. Given half a chance, they would email them straight to Caleb, giving Claire herself no say at all in what they showed to him, or how they spun it.

That said... "I could ask mum to email some, I suppose," she said, shrugging. At least that way, she could vet the pictures first. She got the feeling that Caleb wouldn't settle for that, though. "I guess I should be grateful you'll never get the chance to go through the family photo albums!" There was a fair bit of incriminating evidence in there.

Claire took a sip of ice cold water, noting that Caleb seemed a little relieved as the topic of the sea got left behind. It had been his passion, his life, for so many years, that it must have been hard to make the move to living full time on land. However, it looked as though the prospect of new adventures in a new galaxy had been enough to get him as excited as a little kid again, and, for that, Claire was grateful. She would have hated to watch Caleb pining and regretting his choices. It would have destroyed their relationship, and there would have been nothing she could have done to change it.

Studying Caleb across the table, Claire once again marvelled at how fortunate she was. Not many women were lucky enough to fall for their best friend, and even fewer were lucky enough for their best friend to feel the same way. He was easily the most attractive man Claire had ever been in a relationship with, and the mere sight of him was enough to make her heart skip a beat when she looked his way. Sometimes, she wondered what he saw in her that was keeping him with her.

Their friendship hadn't suffered since they had started their relationship, and, in fact, had gone from strength to strength. Claire felt that she could trust Caleb with anything, even the heart that she had thought would be forever shattered. It wouldn't be an overstatement to say that he had given her back a level of happiness she thought she had lost forever.

Claire gave Caleb a flickering smile as he squeezed her hand hard, and she wiggled the toe of her shoe in the crook of his knee. "It's a promise," she affirmed, twitching her eyebrows up in a tease. Honestly, Caleb made her feel like a teenager again, and she couldn't get enough of him. They were lucky that, on more than one occasion, they hadn't taken things too far while at the SGC. There had been a close call in her office, and a time or two they had been seen going into her quarters, but nothing that could be definitely described as having been untoward.

Working together wasn't easy, and Claire wondered how they would manage while in Atlantis. There would be far fewer people there, and they might be under the microscope a little more. On the flip side, though, there was the possibility that they would be able to openly be in a relationship. Even now, there were no fraternisation rules that they were in breach of, and with Atlantis being a civilian mission, the chances were that they would be able to be more open about the fact that she and Caleb were a couple.

Laughing again as Caleb admitted he knew nothing about champagne, Claire grinned conspiratorially. "I know bugger all as well," she admitted. "But... well, it seemed fitting, and I know this stuff is supposed to be pretty good." She clinked her glass against his. "Cheers," she repeated, her voice soft as she took a small sip. Dry, but not too dry. "Still prefer a sparkling sauv, though," she said, placing her glass down and opening the menu. "Bloody hell, we're spoilt for choice," she grinned. "Although the etoufee is looking good. Any ideas what you want?"

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:03 pm 
Royal Navy

"Nope am sure you were just fully grown and as beautiful as what you are now, you never were a kid," he replied, jokingly. Actually he was pretty sure that any baby photos he did see of her, would be undeniably cute. Of course when she mentioned that her mother would quite happily send him some he did smile brightly at that, "That's okay I already spoke to her, she's shown me so many."

Caleb was still joking, he might have gotten along really good with her parents - he refused to say great that would be jinxing himself - despite the initial nervousness and yeah he didn't meet parents even through Skype very often. So he had been extremely nervous that day, he could still feel how relieved he felt once the call had ended, it had been more nerve racking than any mission he had gone on in the past. In fact if he thought about it too much he could feel his palms start to sweat again just by thinking about it, but the meeting had gone good and well he might have toned the flirting right down but he still had a charm about him.

It was good, very good, very relaxing had that been and although her parents hadn't out right said so, he could tell he kind of had there blessing to continue on with there daughter. Which was strange he had never felt more comfortable in a relationship after getting a go ahead from parents as he did with Claire, there was something very attachment making feeling after that. Which meant what he wanted to do later for her was all that much more scary as hell but hopefully so very worth it.

The toes at the back of his knee seemed to curl up slightly, digging into the back of his knee at just the right place, any other time he was sure it would be embarrassing - actually it wouldn't be embarrassing as such, it would just be him initiating such a thing - but this wasn't. He didn't care much that they were in public, with if anyone cared to look directly at them they would know what they were doing.

Which was kind of a thrill in its own sense, there had not been that many times where that thrill lingered with them. He knew they had been careful, and well with promises like the one Claire just made he was surprised they had been as lucky to not get caught as they had been.

"You make the best promises," he said, smirking lightly at her. There were so many different ways he had come to notice that Claire made promises and honestly the best way, was the way she was doing it now. Because well it made him pay attention and he wasn't likely to forget the promise later on either.

As the conversation moved back to the fact that he knew nothing about champagne, he took a inwardly quiet breath, just enough to calm himself back down. Before he took a sip of the drink, yeah all it tasted to him was alcoholic, not something he would regular pick up for himself. Actually despite the fact that it was a celebration and he knew the need for this drink, he wasn't that keen on it at all.

"Beer, is the way to go," he said, happily. He could handle wine and would if necessary settle for wine instead of beer, but otherwise he was a beer drinker. It was probably going to be the one thing he was going to miss most going to Atlantis, the nice cold beer at the end of the tough day, especially the very hard days. He could still remember the drinking he'd done after the Tollana mission and that wasn't that far behind them.

He opened his own menu up, looking at the wide variety of food on it, spoilt for choice was about right, there was so many things he wanted to try but, well they had to leave at some point that evening, especially if they wanted to get a little dancing done. Which meant he would be picking a nice light choice for himself, something filling but light, dancing with a full stomach was uncomfortable at the best of times.

"No idea to be honest," he answered honestly, looking over another page of the menu. The smells from the kitchen were making him twice as hungry now and there was too much choice on the paper, he was quite literally just going to close his eyes and point to something. Because what ever he chose he knew he was going to enjoy, it was just a good job that he wasn't allergic to anything.

"I think," he said, pointing at the page, looking at his choice, he smiled as he said, "The Blackened Jambalaya." Yeah maybe it wasn't as light as he'd hoped, but well it would be an experience and hell it had meat on it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:31 pm 
Beta Site CMO

Claire's cheeks flushed as Caleb complimented her. It was going to take some getting used to, all this flattery, even though she knew he was sincere. "Actually, I was the ugly baby of the family," she grinned, shrugging as though she dismissed the notion. "My sisters - the twins - were gorgeous. I had this huge shock of hair, and my eyes were too big for my head. I looked like a bloody frog!"

The colour drained from Claire's face for a second as Caleb said he'd already asked her mum for photos. However, there was a glint in his eyes that told her he was joking, and she let out a breath that she hadn't realised she had been holding. "Don't scare the shit out of me like that," she chuckled, shaking her head. "You are at such an unfair advantage, you know that? My parents think you're great, and all you'd have to do would be to ask. Mum'd send you the bloody lot, and Photoshop some more, for good measure."

Claire's dad, in particular, had been impressed with Caleb. Whether it had been the Navy connection, or just the fact that Caleb was a good bloke, she wasn't sure, but it didn't matter. The fact that Claire's parents approved of the man she loved was just the icing on the cake. It wouldn't have mattered if they hadn't approved, if she was honest, but it made things easier to go to Atlantis. Knowing that her parents would be secure in the knowledge that she would be happy was what had finally tipped the scales on her decision.

"You think this is a good promise? Just wait until later," Claire murmured, her eyes smouldering with more than a hint of what she might be promising for later that night. She never made promises she couldn't keep.

Claire noticed the slight grimace as Caleb sipped the champagne, and immediately felt bad. "I'm sorry, don't drink it if you don't like it," she said, her voice firm yet apologetic. "We'll get you a decent beer." Claire grinned, her eyes sparkling with mischief. "Well, that is if American beer can ever be decent." To her eyes, it was like making love in a canoe: fucking close to water.

She took a sip of her own champagne, before laughing and shaking her head. "You're right, it tastes like piss." Her voice was a giggle as she placed her glass down, and glanced over the menu. She thought she had made up her mind, but Caleb went right for the jugular, heading straight for what looked like one of the largest main courses on the menu.

"Hungry, huh? You're going to need your energy tonight, I think, if you're planning on taking me dancing." The server was hovering. "Are you ready to order?" Claire looked at Caleb and laughed. "I'm really sorry, but could you take the champagne away? I'll have a glass of the New Zealand sauvignon blanc, please, and the Crescent City Sampler." Raising her eyebrows, she looked back to Caleb, waiting for him to order.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:58 pm 
Royal Navy

Now that was something he just couldn't believe that Claire classed herself as the ugly one of the family, it was the one thing he never really got about people. When they'd say things like that, especially when they had siblings, he wondered vaguely if he would have been saying similar things had, he had a sibling. He liked to think he wouldn't have but he just didn't know, and with how Claire spoke he was going to make damn sure that she didn't feel like that ever again. If there was one thing he knew in abundance, it was how to flatter a woman and that wasn't even bragging rights.

He smiled softly at her, "That very much clearly turned into a princess," he silly enough knew some children films at times. "Besides I don't believe for a second you were the ugly one, you can't be, it's not possible." Caleb shook his head, "No am gonna refuse to believe that, you were always this beautiful am one hundred percent sure of that."

He was going to make sure after that comment that he spent the weekend now just offering for a compliment out of the blue, it would probably be odd at first but well he felt like she deserved it. It was the least he could do, considering she had agreed to go to Atlantis with him and he felt like the luckiest bloke on Earth in that moment.

Caleb couldn't help laughing as Claire seemed to pale slightly, he shook his head, "Okay, okay I promise I won't ask, without mentioning it to you first, scouts honour." Not that he had ever been innocent enough to be a scout or actually was ever a scout in the first place. He would love for her to meet his own parents, it was an idea that terrified him and gave him a sense of melancholy all at the same time.

"Am sure that's not true, am sure they can't like me that much," he said, his own face heating up slightly. So sure he had enjoyed talking to her dad about anything Navy related - it had been really refreshing to speak Navy when the majority of folks at the SGC were Air force, Marines or something else entirely - and her mum, well he had been as polite as his own mother had taught him to be. Of course that only all happened once he'd stopped fidgeting in his seat and got over his nerves of speaking to them.

"I should do the same," he said quietly, looking up at her, "Try to get my parents on Skype so you can meet them." Well that was out there now, it was not something he offered lightly and he would be just as nervous about that as he had been meeting hers. But it was something he 'wanted' to do for Claire, for himself.

The promise for later was heated and not one he could put words to without saying something that would probably get them thrown out of the restaurant for independence. But he smiled at her, in the way that told her he wasn't going to forget that promise and he knew exactly what to expect later from her.

Caleb put his own champagne glass down and to one side for now, "American beer will do in a pinch, besides am a sailor use to drinking all kinds of watered down beer." he replied, smiling once more at her. That had actually happened to him once, the locals were always use to Navy dropping by when on land and they had started to water down some of the beer, kept the sailors sober for longer but also meant they had to spend more to get drunk.

"Dancing and anything else you want to do, the night is young and all that," he said, as he spotted the server out the corner of his eye. Clearly the guy had been hovering for a while now, and Caleb was really glad that none of there conversation had been that loud, he didn't want to give the guy a heart attack after all.

"Blackened Jambalaya and whatever beer is available." he said, handing over his menu. He could always ask for it back if they decided on dessert.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:13 pm 
Beta Site CMO

Claire's blush deepened as Caleb gave her another compliment that she felt was more than a little overblown. Sure, she knew that he found her desirable - he made that more than obvious - but she sure as shit didn't consider herself to be beautiful at all. In fact, Claire felt as though she was punching way above her weight in being with Caleb. She didn't feel insecure, though. She had no doubt that Caleb felt the same way about her as she did about him, and, because of that, it didn't matter whether or not she was beautiful.

What mattered was that Caleb made her feel beautiful.

"Thank you," she murmured, shrugging off the compliment as best as she could without seeming ungrateful. "I guess I kind of grew into my looks." Well, not quite, but at least she was comfortable in her skin now, and didn't hate her appearance any more. Amazing what two years with train tracks on your teeth would do for a girl when she was fifteen.

Claire laughed, mock-swatting at Caleb's hand across the table. "Scout's honour, my arse," she grinned. "I've got no doubt that you'd be more than happy to go to dad and ask for pictures. He'd bloody give them to you, too, and tell you exactly what to say to wind me up the most!" She loved her dad, she really did, but he could be a dick sometimes. Maybe it was a good thing they wouldn't get to meet Caleb in person after all.

Then it was Caleb's turn to blush. Claire squeezed his hand across the table, and smiled with warmth and sincerity. "My parents thought you were awesome," she admitted. "I spoke to them a couple of days ago, and... well, dad was the one who told me I'd be bloody stupid not to make a go of it with you. He said he'd never seen me looking so happy, said you were a top bloke. Mum just asked me when they were going to meet you in person, said you looked like you could do with a bit of a feed." She felt a pang of sadness as she said this. Meeting her parents was one thing that Caleb would never get to do.

Claire's jaw almost dropped as Caleb said he wanted to get his parents onto a Skype chat with her. She squeezed his hand, knowing how nervous that would make him. "You don't have to do that," she said, her voice soft and sincere. "I don't need to talk to your parents to know how you feel." Honestly, the thought of it made her a little nervous. It had been so long since she had been in a relationship at all, much less working her way through the complex minefield at the beginning of one, that she wasn't sure how she would deal with such a meeting.

More than a little relieved as Caleb pushed his champagne glass away, Claire grinned across at him. "Fair point," she said. "I would imagine you just fall short of drinking your own piss!" It was said with an easy smile, no hint of malice in her voice. "I'm more fussy than that over my wine, though. Guess it comes from getting used to some really good stuff that's produced locally." Claire laughed, a little sheepishly. "Christ, I sound like such a snob!" Of course, she, too, was more used to drinking beer than anything else, and was never happier than when curled up on the sofa next to Caleb, talking and just spending precious time together.

Claire twitched an eyebrow upwards. "Anything," she said, her voice a pure tease. She kept her voice low and sultry as she held Caleb's gaze. "You do know that New Orleans is called The Big Easy for a reason, don't you?" Allegedly, it was because of the city's relaxed attitude to alcohol and other activities. "Who knows what we could get up to in a dark, quiet corner somewhere?"

The server had done a good job of hovering, and Claire waited as he took Caleb's order, before picking up the champagne. "Why don't you find someone else who would like it," said Claire. "Most of the bottle is still there." It might as well go to someone who would enjoy it. The server looked surprised, before glancing around the restaurant, and taking it to a young couple a few tables away. Claire smiled as they looked over, shrugging off their thanks. She turned her attention back to Caleb.

"So... had you thought of somewhere you wanted to go for dancing?" Claire had done a little research, and there were a few bars in Treme that looked promising.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:36 am 
Royal Navy

“You're welcome,” he said, smiling softly at her. He knew she wasn't one to fish around for compliments, knew that although he gave them out ninety percent of the time, it was only about ten percent that was as heartfelt as the ones he had given her then. It was them ones he knew meant more than anything else he said.

Caleb pulled his hand back in a mock hurt when she pretended to swat at it, there was a small pout on his face, before he broke into a grin. Honestly they were both as bad as each other when it came to teasing the other, something that had not dissipated even after they had gotten together. “Okay I promise not to ask your mum for any photos, but if your dad offers, well am not gonna refuse your dad.” he leant forward in a conspiratorial way “He scares me.”

Her dad didn't scare him, well he had only seen the pleasant side of her dad, but he knew the type well. Hell he was that type, military, Navy and if he ever had a daughter he knew he would be so overly protective of her, not that having children were anyway near his future plans or even in his future. He still had a new galaxy to see, a woman to woo, as and when she let him, there was definitely no children in his immediate future.

The smile was soft once again, as she told him her parents really liked him, it was nice to actually be liked by parents. Caleb had spent the last few years jumping from one bed to another so meeting a persons parents had not been high on the list at that point in his life. But now, now it had been something that had felt right and yes he'd felt like he was going to jump out of his skin with nerves at the time, but it had been worth it.

He laughed a little at that, “For some reason all mums want to fatten me up,” he said jokingly. Even his own mother at times commented that he needed a good hearty meal in side of him because he was looking to thin. But it wasn't that he was thin, the majority of it was muscle, some of it wasn't, he wasn't quite as active as he had been before joining the SGC. But that was a good thing.

Caleb squeezed her hand in return, “I know I don't have to do that, but it'd be something that I'd like to do. Of course if you don't feel like you want to meet them, that is totally fine, there is no pressure here.” Which was true, Claire had not pressured him into meeting her parents – okay there might have been a promise of some truly nice beer but it hadn't been bribery at all – and he would make sure that she wanted to meet them and not meet them because he forced her to.

Caleb laughed at that, “Don't joke about that, you'd be surprised how desperate we can get stuck on a sub with no alcohol for months at a time.” There had actually been a day where him and few mates had nothing to do and they started to actually think through how they could turn piss into alcohol, it never happened thank god and to this day he still didn't think it ever would.

“You might sound like a snob, but you aren't you know what you like,” he said with a cheeky smile, “which is good, considering am not that up market.” He joked gesturing to himself.

It was a really good job Caleb had put the drink down and hadn't been taking a sip when Claire said that, of course he had heard that, he also knew it wasn't in the way she implied but hell if he weren't going to take advantage of that. He wasn't going to play hard to get that evening, no way, “Big Easy huh? Who knew there was a state named after me,” he said, there was a definite mischievous, heated look in his eyes as he said that.

The smile turned more normal as the server took the bottle away and handed it over to another couple, he nodded his head at them as a way of saying 'you're welcome' without actually saying it. Of course after the Big Easy conversation they'd just had, Caleb couldn't help saying, “I really hope they now don't think we want to have some weird foursome with them.” So his mind was still in the gutter track for a while, it was the atmosphere and sitting with a beautiful woman that did it.

“Dancing? Oh dancing,” he said, pulling his attention back to the more civilised conversation, “Somewhere that plays music?” he suggested with a shrug. “Honestly I hadn't planned the dancing thing, just where ever the music sounds best, just take a feel for the city, get lost a time or two.”

It was a silly notion really, but getting lost was something that had very rarely happened to him and was always interesting when it did happen. Plus they had no plans to rush back to their room, well at least not yet.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next