All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:46 pm 
Loki

Oh, you've got a point on the Agoraphobia.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:46 pm 
US Air Force

So here is another thought that burbled up while filling out the Ap. Would a Genii have the Ancient Gene? At first we were lead to believe that there were none with the gene native to Pegasus, but then there was the ruling family in "the Tower" (and Peter Woodward *swoon*).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:12 pm 
Genii

I don't see why not. That Ancient 'genetic material' sure seemed to get around, IYKWIMAITTYD.

oooo. Something that just occurred to me on Coup d'Etat. The theory is that the Genii 'collected' Lorne and Co. because they had the Ancient Gene, and Ladon plans to use them to cook up his own version of the gene therapy (which he mentions he's working on). Yet later he says he was planning to basically let them be incinerated in a ball of nuclear fire, but has since changed his mind. So either he was lying about that and intended the whole time to pull them out and take them back to his homeworld (possible, as it would do a damn convincing job of persuading the New Lanteans they were dead). Or he didn't care if they died because he already had access to people with the Ancient Gene and it was all a smokescreen for some other twisty, devious Ladon purpose.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:32 am 
Genii

Watching "Common Ground," Ladon mentions having a 'First Minister,' so woo hoo! Another piece of the Genii hierarchy.

In other news ... Genii holidays.

The Harvest thing was a sham, but it seems to me they must have holidays, even if they're purely secular ones. Even the Soviet Union had them, and they're useful for keeping people docile. Just give them the chance to party every now and again and they're much happier. Some possibilities:

New Year's -- they live underground, so the seasons probably mean less to them (except food-wise), but everybody seems to have one of these. It might even be two days, combining New Year's Eve and Day.

Skyfall -- commemorating when they went underground. Could be a day of mourning what they lost and those who died, could be a renewal of their determination to reclaim their place, could be a mix of the two.

Armed Forces -- a day honoring those who defend them, bring in more resources, etc.

Heroic Figure's Birthday -- pretty self-explanatory

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:02 am 
Genii

Love the Idea of Skyfall. This one I could see stretching out over a several days. Reinforcement of why they are there, Grand public displays of mourning for those they have lost and , then one hell of a party to celebrate those that survived.

I could also see the new year hanging about and lining up with the shortest day. Not so sure about the other 3 normal seasonal holidays. (spring thaw, longest day, harvest). Out of the three perhaps Harvest.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:54 pm 
Genii

Yeah, when the New Year officially begins is pretty arbitrary. I've always wondered why it's January 1st and not pegged to a solstice or equinox. And then there are solar years and lunar years. Which brings up another question -- does the Genii homeworld (we need a name for that place, too) have a moon or moons?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:50 pm 
Loki

Planet Fozzie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:09 pm 
Genii

That explains the genii sense of humor...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:26 pm 
Genii

Nah, that’d be Sam the Eagle.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:31 pm 
Genii

So, one of the things that drove me nuts in SGA was that the Athosians and the Wraith were apparently the only people in the entire galaxy who didn’t know the Genii weren’t a bunch of ‘simple, peaceful farmers.’ Sora strongly implies they normally kill anyone who discovers their secret, so why would they go around telling everyone who they are when enslaving people in mines 20 years before (“Trio”), offering bounties (“Coup d’Etat”), etc. My headcanon is that whenever they’re doing something decidedly non-pastoral, they wear their uniforms and call themselves something other than their real name. For stuff they don’t mind being traced back to their homeworld, they get their Amish on and are the Genii.

Sound okay?