All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Jessica Nguyen
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:44 am 
Australian Defence Force

Totally forgot to make one of these... My bad.

Jess is generally quite a quiet person, keeping herself to herself and not offering much. However, when she does voice her thoughts and opinions it is done in a very blunt and direct manner, with little care given for the feelings and judgement of others. This is not out of a sense of malice or anything consciously negative, she is just apathetic towards others. She does hold professional courtesy in very high regard, always being respectful and listening to those in the know, but often doesn't care for people as people.

Friends

Socially withdrawn yet able to hold with all the normal customs of human interaction. She will never initiate, only respond, a product of her upbringing more than anything else. If you can get under the shell, you might find something there, but otherwise she won't be your friend. The most you might get is a few professional niceties.

Enemies

If you can't deal with a straight talking bitch who doesn't give a fig for your feelings, then you can't deal with Jess. What's more, you might be even more furious when you find out that she doesn't care about your enimity either.

Lovers

Unlikely. Jess already struggles with bonds of friendship, so it follows that she's worse at romantic ones. What's more, she will actively avoid becoming romantically attached to anyone she works with at the SGC. Fraternisation is already a punitive offence. Why risk further hurt if that person was to die? She's not completely out of it, entertaining somewhat girlish fantasies of "Mr. Right", but she's also not stupidly blinded by it.

Post subject: Re: Jessica Nguyen
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:33 am 
Thor

I have two to toss at Jess, both civilians. Claire Te Atua is an emergency surgeon at the SGC, and a Kiwi to boot, so there could be some potential there for the old Aussie/Kiwi rivalry. Claire is straightforward and calls a spade a spade, but has no place for arrogance, and will verbally cut someone down to size if they're disappearing up their own arse. Could be an interesting combination.

Ruth Tolliver is a linguist, and is probably the polar opposite of Jess: upbeat, bright and bubbly, she tries to see the best in everyone. She is more or less an eternal optimist, and would probably try poking away at a friendship for a while before finally giving up.

What do you think?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:56 am 
Australian Defence Force

I can see both of those working out in some fashion.

The Aussie/Kiwi rivalry often happens without thinking in my experience, but I wouldn't let it consume the relationship. I could see it working quite handily as a pseudo-friendship of a sort, but I'm not sure if it would go any further than that. That's up to you I guess.

Jess would likely find Ruth intensely irritating, in the tear your hair out way. She certainly wouldn't enjoy being constantly poked and prodded by someone trying to force friendly interaction where there is none.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:58 am 
US Marines

Hm, withdrawn until approached and then unpleasant...

Best to keep her clear of Taft until she's ready for a very clear explanation of exactly where she stands in the world and what that personality will get her. Reality checks are what non-com officers are for, after all.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:25 am 
Australian Defence Force

Yeah, I can't see her and Taft getting along. From what I've seen the SgtMjr is overtly moto and embraces it wholeheartedly. Jess isn't, and she won't like it when someone is. IIRC, Taft is also meant to outrank her. That will not sit well. No non-com, however senior, has ever outranked her before.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:41 am 
Australian Defence Force

Hey there,

As you can probably see, I play Sergeant Alex Sullivan, a.k.a. the other Australian.

Straight away I can see them having a difficult relationship. There's some obvious common ground between them (They're both ADF, both new the the SGC, and both worked in similar operational circles prior to being transferred), but I feel their personalities would probably have one of them reaching for their sidearm at some point midway through the conversation. Jessica definitely seems to be one of those officers Alex would just dread dealing with, which would likely play into him pushing her buttons in true demolitionist form, and things would rapidly go south from there. Still, possibly fun?

There's also possibility they crossed paths in the past, what with Jessica's work with Special Operations Command, so there's always room to explore that if you want.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:15 am 
Australian Defence Force

I agree with the difficult relationship part.

Both of them just seem to embody the others pet peeves in some way, the kind that you put up with until the straw breaks the camel's back. I don't think it would ever come to pulling sidearms on each other, they're both professionals after all, but I'm sure there would be a few stray thoughts and words in that direction. Fun? Certainly. The common ground would provide a good starting point there, kinda like "I don't like you, you don't like me, but we understand each other.". Thoughts?

As for prior encounters, I think we missed the boat there. Alex got into SASR Selection in '09. Jess only went regs and into SOCOMD territory in mid 2011 and she has never worked operationally with anyone other than the Cdo Regts. I know 4th Squadron (Jess' parent unit) provides training and Directing Staff to SASR troopers learning to effectively use air assets, but nothing beyond that as far as I'm aware. Maybe in some training exercises, but the contact would've been short. Still, if they rub each other the wrong way as much as you're thinking, I'm sure they would remember each other very well.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]